Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

He's great when he's doing his own stuff but he's pretty much always bad doing existing characters.

This is one of those cases where a drop in quality later results in people writing off the entire idea. His Thor run starts really good- the Oklahoma idea is brilliant- as did his Spider-Man. They both dipped later on, (I'd say less so in Thor's case, though that might be because he left more abruptly there, letting Gillen pick up) but that doesn't invalidate the earlier quality. There's even a kernel of something in his Wonder Woman run, but I'm not sure how much of that was Phil Hester taking the premise and tweaking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm trying to figure out where to pick up FF post Waid's first run. I'm skipping Claremont's for sure because I can't stand him, but I think JMS comes in next after him.

I'm going to read post BND Spiderman at some point, I see the Spider Island stuff later on, is that the much maligned run where Spiderman meets the God of Spiders or whatever?

Yes and no. You're probably actually thinking of the animal totem stuff from JMS' run, which kinda sorta played into Spider-Island (and into Grim Hunt, actually, just a different aspect of it.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Goatmask posted:

Sorry, I'm going to double post. I'm looking for non-superhero "graphic novels" (I'm not a big fan of the calling them this but I guess it gets the point across). Something that is very broadly recognised to be good, the sort of thing that would end up on a "100 best comics everyone should read" list.

Things I have read and enjoyed (to varying degrees): Black Hole, Ghost World, The Incal, True Swamp, Building Stories, Maus, Persepolis, From Hell, The Squirrel Machine, The Underwater Welder, I Kill Giants.

Most recently I read Black Hole (which I loved) and Ghost World (which I liked for its themes and how it went about them, but the story didn't grab me as much. Still enjoyed it though). I generally prefer something a bit more stylised or surreal.

I'm gonna toss out Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse. It's a fictionalised account of a young man in the South coming to terms with being gay during the Civil Rights movement, but informed by Cruse's own experiences as a gay man that grew up at that time. His art is very cartoony and caricaturish, and there's a slightly clunky framing device, but the story is excellent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm looking for some trades for my niece who is 8 right now and will be 9 in December.

I was told she likes Superman, as well as Catwoman and Supergirl--I'm not very familiar with these characters beyond things like Red Son that would probably go over her head.

Does anybody know some kind of big, dumb fun books that don't get very into sex (her mom said that even kissing she finds a little off putting and weird right now) at all? It's been so long since I tried to imagine comic books as literally being for children that I'm drawing a complete blank as to what would appeal to that age these days.

But I have to imagine there's a huge assortment of good clean fun Superman stories collected in trades that I'm just unaware of.

Also, any other good for children comics I'd be interested in hearing about as well, since it sounds like she doesn't like to read very much, but got really into a Superman comic, so I'd like to encourage her as much as a distant uncle can.

I already own the Toon Treasury of Classic Children's Comics, but I'm not sure that book was really geared towards actual children, despite the forward; at least, I'm not sure how well Little Lulu and Pogo would compete with whatever else media is throwing at children these days. But we don't have kids of our own yet, so I don't really know how they absorb books and get into whatever it is they end up liking, so maybe having this big colorful book sitting around might draw her in, even if it's full of comics from 50 years ago?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures In The 8th Grade. SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE 8TH GRADE!

Atomic Robo is pretty kid-friendly without feeling like it's talking down to kids.

Marvel's Power Pack minis from a few years back are good, as are Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane and X-Men/Wolverine/Uncanny X-Men First Class (they're nothing like the movie, and in this case, that's a good thing)

Bone, is obviously the go-to, as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And... I'm going to get run out of not just BSS but probably SA on a rail for this, but... IDW's My Little Pony comics are pretty great, especially for kids that age. The art is super cute, and big splash pages are very detailed, and the dialogue is snappy and funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The current run of US Dredd comics by Duane Swierczynski is actually doing a Dark Judges story right now. The last 8-10 issues have been about them and Duane's invented a bunch of new Dark Judges for this run.

The collection you linked looks to have the first appearances of Judge Death and the Dark Judges as a group. The former story is pretty classic, certainly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hey all,

I've got a working knowledge of DC, having read all of the major crossovers until new 52 came along. And with the Flash currently on tv, what Flash arcs and runs should I read to really enjoy the character?

I'm familiar with the general Wally West/Barry Allen changeups (I've read all of the crises) but following the timeline is loving baffling to me. Everyone has recommended the Waid and Johns' runs, so I guess that's where to start?

Also, I remember reading Morrisons' fantastic Justice League run, but can't remember for the life of me what Wally's personality was like. The DCAU painted him as a rookie jokester, but I remember Morrison largely kept Kyle Rayner in the insecure rookie role. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

Waid and Johns for Flash, and I liked what I read of Manapul's run in the New 52 line-up. It was one of the few books that didn't end up with a revolving door creative team for the first few years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

James Woods Fan posted:

What are some good Batman stories that predominately feature Black Mask?

Not Batman per se, but he's the main villain for Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

Can you guys recommend me some Superman books?

So far I have:

-Red Son
-Man of Steel
-Secret Origin
-Birthright
-All-Star
-World's Finest (the 12 issue series)
-For the Man Who Has Everything
-Whatever Happened to...
-For All Seasons
-Kingdom Come
-Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
-Grounded (:barf:)

Paul Cornell's Black Ring run with Lex from a few years back was really solid. I kinda liked Greg Rucka's Nightwing & Flamebird run from prior to that, though technically neither of those are actually Superman stories... Well, Black Ring is by the end.

I've heard good things about the current Superman books by Pak, Johns and Soule.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Waid about to use him in the current run?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vorik posted:

I watched and really enjoyed the Young Justice cartoon series and then made the mistake of checking out geoff johns' Teen Titans run thinking I would be getting something of similar quality. It was awful and I feel even worse for reading his entire run thinking it would get better at some point.

I forget, was it Johns or whoever took over from him that had Raven go to high school and get a tramp stamp?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New Teen Titans was aimed at that set in the same way the equivalent X-Men was, in the whole embracing-of-soap-opera thing.

OG Teen Titans was technically aimed at that set, but Bob Haney had NO IDEA how to write for them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jason Aaron's run on Ghost Rider should be on there. So should Fred Van Lente's Taskmaster miniseries (be warned, some people hate the ending).

X-Factor is the Madrox series you're thinking of.

And for god's sake, read Mark Waid's Daredevil. (And Dan Slott's She-Hulk. Despite BSS's bitching about him on Spider-Man, his She-Hulk stuff is real good.)

I'd also recommend Exiles, but I forget how much is on there. (They're a bunch of X-men characters from alternate realities that kinda Sliders around fixing other Earths. Blink from this series had a semi-prominent role in X-Men Legends 2, if you played that)

Edit: Literally all you need to know about Civil War is that a bunch of heroes had a big fight about revealing their secret identities, and Cap's on the side that said no. I think it lasts like 3 issues in the main Captain America book, and is still mostly featuring the Red Skull, his psycho-bitch daughter and so on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Avengers Season One and Avengers The Origin are on sale at Comixology. How are they regarded?

I got Season One. It's fine. Kinda funny how key the Hulk is to the story, but then again, it's Peter David. It's much more low-key than you'd think, and it's not even really the origin story like most of the other Season Ones are. Also, Ant-Man and Wasp are mentioned and shown like once each. It's all Iron Man, Thor and Cap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

I'd also say to take a look at Lazarus.

Let's be honest, almost anything by Rucka is a good bet.

And Gail Simone's current Red Sonja run has a kind of Rat Queens-y vibe (meaning it's a Simone book. Which I like, but I know BSS generally doesn't) Issue 7 has her fighting gourmet cannibals to rescue the world's best chef.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe check out Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations, and then have a look at the Rocketeer or some of Valiant or Top Cow's stuff. Valiant and Top Cow have the Marvel/DC shared world idea, but with more of a sci-fi and horror bent, respectively. Can't vouch for quality across the board, but most of the Valiant books, at least, have gotten solid reviews.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

I wanted a recommendation on action-y team superhero comics. Things in the genre I've read and enjoyed a lot:
Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
Grant Morrison's Justice League
Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority
I've been catching up with Avengers by Jonathan Hickman (just finished Infinity) but not liking the bad pacing and poor character work; I find it reads like a movie trailer of itself. Maybe New Avengers is better about this?
I've also got Morrison's X-Men lined up for reading.

What are some other good comics that also happen to be about action and superhero teams? Is there any Avengers (and affiliated titles) run/storyline that's considered really good?

If you enjoyed Claremont, you could do worse than check out Marv Wolfman and George Perez's New Teen Titans, which was DC's answer to Claremont's X-Men.
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men follows on from Morrison, so you can pretty much move on to that when you're done.
I really enjoyed Exiles (until, ironically, Claremont took it over) and Avengers Academy. They're both mostly self-contained, barring some minor crossovers, and they're not earth-shattering, but they're very solid, fun superhero stuff.
Thunderbolts is always at least interesting through it's many incarnations.
And Gail Simone's Birds of Prey is divisive, but I think it does a good job with some lower key, street level/martial arts-y action, mixed in with a dash of humour and a focus on women and LGBT characters that's only now becoming more commonplace.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
FF and Fantastic 4 under Hickman were basically one book that released biweekly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

To be honest I'd never recommend a fan of either Teen Titans cartoon read a Teen Titans comic, past or present.

Um... The older cartoon was pretty heavily influence by the Wolfman/Perez run. They more or less did direct adaptations of the Trigon and Deathstroke stories from that book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

HAY GUYS MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE IS IN THE NEW HUMBLE BUNDLE

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

please read mtmte

I WILL. I'M TRYING TO CATCH UP FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE IDW-VERSE, BECAUSE I'M INSANE!

(also, is the Transformers book listed in the top tier just the retitled RID, or the older run?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kieron Gillen's run on Journey Into Mystery is basically a self-contained story that has a very specific ending. It's technically been followed up on, I understand, in the current Loki book, but there's no actual need to read that, and the story works fine without any continuing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Giffen also had a brief run on Booster's solo book before the New 52, which had a fun arc featuring Ted, Barda and Scott Free.

And Justice League: Generation Lost, which basically wound up with Booster leading a new JLI consisting of himself, Skeets, Jaime Reyes, Fire, Ice, Captain Atom, Rocket Red, Batman, Wonder Woman and Power Girl was way better than it had any right to be. Probably because it wasn't the 'important' event series at the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Manapul run. Then stop.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wendell posted:

So I was looking into reading Birds of Prey, and fortunately Comixology provides a nice preview of most things they sell because it let me see that the dialogue in the first issue sucked, and it was drawn by loving Greg Land. Is there a time the series gets good, or is it a lost cause?

The version of the team most people think of is the Simone run. Be aware, if you don't like her other work, you won't like her BoP because it's got the same themes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ragequit posted:

Completely new to comics here, and willing to take a jump down this (I assume) insane rabbit hole and money sink. I stopped by a comic shop the other day to pick up a gift and leafed through a few books (volumes rather than thin comic books) like Prophet and Saga. The art looked fantastic, but as for good stories I have no idea where to start. What should I be picking up/looking in to if I am not overly interested in DC/Marvel? I already checked out ComiXology and have an account set up, so I am ready to go digital.

It'd be good to hear a few things like movies/novels/TV that you like, so we can get an idea of what you're into. Comics are way more a medium than a specific genre, so knowing what you like will get you better recommendations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, most of his work leans into a magical-realism style, where the world is mostly normal, bar one thing that shunts the protagonist a few feet off-centre.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Squirrel Girl, Silk, Spider-Gwen and Spider-Woman all sound pretty up your alley, so far as ongoing Marvel books. SHIELD might be worth a look too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I dunno if Unlimited added all the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, but they added 500 comics. Any recommendations?

Rogue Squadron.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nope, unless something from them migrated into the movies or TV shows.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Either that or Sunstone (be aware, there is BDSM and semi-explicit sex in the latter, although it's primarily a romance). Most of the other stuff in the sale are books he's drawn for Top Cow as part of their shared universe, and that's... a very specific taste. I recall Artifacts being decent in the beginning, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That was the series were they revealed that Clint did the nasty with a doombot?

To be fair, Jessica Jones' reaction to that was one of the better parts of the series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
'77 has the problem that the source material gives less leeway than Batman '66. Batman was already so wacky and crazy that tossing in a giant robot or a Japanese Bat-cave or a 60's era Harley Quinn makes about as much sense as anything else. Wonder Woman was a more grounded (relatively speaking) show that was more about generic criminals and mad scientists. So you can't really go into the mythological stuff without it feeling like a big departure in tone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Chuck Dixon run on the Nightwing solo book is pretty solid, if a bit boilerplate. Or the Wolfman/Perez Titans, building to the switch to Nightwing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

There's only one Hitman series, so yes. Same writer and artist throughout the 60 issue run (Ennis/McCrea). The Catwoman stuff is amazing, and his relationship with Kyle Rayner is a delight. Sad to see that the pissed-off dinosaur stuff isn't there. Seriously, this series has everything.

The JL3000-ers are all new characters, based on the heroes of our time (I think they're geneticlly modified clones or something?), so there's Superman, WW, et. al, but their personalities are totally different and they're all kind of dicks, actually.

I just read it because of the sale. They're very explicitly not clones. They're human guinea pigs that have the League's DNA imprinted on them, as well as incomplete memories. So 'Bruce' doesn't recall his parents' death, Superman doesn't remember Ma & Pa Kent, Diana's more of a New 52 full-on murder Amazon, Hal... um... well, Hal's just kinda himself. He's less of a dick? So maybe that's the gently caress-up? And Flash dies a lot until they give a legacy character the powers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grawl posted:

I've got access to three months of Marvel Unlimited. Can anyone suggest a good starting point? I've read nothing so far.

What do you like?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I've heard Gotham Sirens is good and has lots of Harley, but I do not have first hand knowledge and the lack of recommendations of Sirens makes me concerned it is not in fact good :ohdear:.

The art is super male-gaze-y, but well done within that. The writing is basically what you'd expect for Paul Dini (though as I recall, he left towards the end of the run and the pre-Flashpoint arc is pretty good). The most interesting stuff it does prior to the ending is actually with Ivy. She gets a secret identity and a day job working for a pharmaceutical company at one point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

What about the Vengeance series that goes in between those two?

I liked it a lot, but it really depends on how much you think 'Batman, but in the MU' is a thing you want to read, because that's pretty much what it is, with a side of Marc trying to resist Khonshu's violent influence (represented by a chibi Khonshu on his shoulder).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Seriously, the answer to any "Should I buy [insert Marvel title here]?" question should always be "Get Unlimited and read every comic ever*" unless you're super intent on getting high-res comics or can't wait six months to read the latest Squirrel Girl.

But I wanna read it nooowww! (seriously is it Wednesday yet?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HogX posted:

Finished both, journey into Mystery was awesome, although not sure what Bill is. A horse man?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually think Silk and Spider-Woman are better than Spider-Gwen. Not that the latter isn't good, but Silk in particular is really strong, and Javier Rodriguez is knocking it out of the park on Spider-Woman art-wise.

And if you like that kind of thing, Batgirl's a really solid shout right now. As is Starfire.