Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If a fella likes John Ostrander's Spectre run a bunch (read the first trade that DC did a while back collecting 1-12, and if they stop halfway through, I will gouge eyes and stuff) and Deadman, what should he read next?

Also, are there any great Deadman comics? I know he's in Kingdom Come and some other event books....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How was the post-JLI Mr.Miracle series where he lives in suburbia?

Also, is it in trade?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I used to have all of them back in the day. It's okay -- not as good as JLI, but pleasant, entertaining, inoffensively funny, and it works well as a JLI spinoff. The first five issues are a Kirby pastiche, picking up on plot threads and ideas from his original Mister Miracle series.

But then G'nort guest-stars in #6, there's a fun Blue Beetle and Booster Gold story in #7-8, and from there, it ties into JLI a lot closer, culminating in Scott, Oberon, and Funky Flashman going on tour in space, with the prone-to-malfunctioning Mister Miracle android taking his place in the JLI (around Justice League America #36-42). There was a lot of decent art (and really silly late '80s fashions) from a guy named Joe Phillips who never did much else, if I recall correctly.

The series ran for 28 issues, but it was never collected. If you could track down all the back issues, they would fit perfectly in one custom-bound hardcover. If I hadn't sold mine off years ago, I would have done that with them.

Good to know. I'm a big fan of the character, so I'm thinking of trying to get all his major appearances. His original series, JLI (already have that), the Seven Soldiers mini, etc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me of Adam Hughes' Ghost. Good? Not good?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which Exiles is the one to read again?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Paul the Samurai collection's decent, also. It's a Tick spinoff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is JSA the best thing Johns ever did?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Wesley Dodds play a part in JSA?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
1) How is Peter David's Supergirl run?

2. How's the current Loki series?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

I really liked Loki: Agent of Asgard up until Original Sin & SIXIS started and I feel like it's kind of been floundering since. I have faith that Ewing will get it together once it stops getting pulled into crossovers for a bit. Also if you haven't already you need to read Journey into Mystery by Gillen and Young Avengers by Gillen/McKelvie if you want to know what Loki has been up to.

I have read both, hence my desrire for more well-written Loki!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the new Spider-Man 2099 worth a look? I liked the old series and consider Peter David one of my very favorites.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I'm looking for something fairly specific, and that's a series that ends at a logical point. I've read a bunch of series like this: Preacher, Y:the Last man, Deus Ex Machina, Starman, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Scott Pilgrim,Sandman, Hitman, Planetary, the Invisibles. Couple caveats: I will not read Cerebus. And I'd rather avoid series that were cancelled despite being good reads (i.e. Aztek, which I've heard nice things about).

Also, is Grant morrison's Doom Patrol more accessible than the Invisibles?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Lucifer, Unwritten, Shade the Changing man

Unwritten and Shade I deffo have to get on, I forgot to include I'm currently plowing through Lucifer. Is Shade readily available?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So, I loved Astro Boy as a kid. Should I read this?

http://www.amazon.ca/Astro-Boy-Omnibus-Osamu-Tezuka/dp/1616558601/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443329818&sr=8-2&keywords=astro+boy

Keep in mind I've always kinda struggled with enjoying traditional manga style left to right. Does Dark Horse flip it around for dummies like me?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also The Other Side, by Jason Aaron. Parallel tales of guys on each side of Vietnam. Good stuff. And if you wanna read more Ennis war stuff, he's done a fair bit: War Stories which is in two trades. And Battlefields, which I remember being very well liked (haven't read it though).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What can you guys tell me about this book?

http://www.amazon.ca/Orion-Walter-Simonson-Omnibus/dp/1401255353/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447003349&sr=8-1&keywords=orion+walter+simonson

I know Simonson's quite talented from his Thor run, is this a good run?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Astro City came out first.

It's also a better book, which is no slight against Top 10.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is Remender's Deadly Class and Tokyo Ghost?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sold on both.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Tin Of Beans posted:

What's some top-tier stuff with Big Barda and Mister Miracle? Please don't suggest that one John Byrne story; I have beaten you to the joke already. Note: I haven't really read anything with either character but they sound fun.

There was a short lived Mr.Miracle series in the early 90's written by Keith Giffen I think, and it had a similar spirit to JLI. I think it ran about 30 issues, not collected to my knowledge, but available on eBay. What little I've read is good stuff, it basically features Scott and Barda trying to adjust to domestic earth life.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 3, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How's the new Lucifer book?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I've enjoyed Deadly Class, Tokyo Ghost and Bitch Planet...what other Image stuff should I hop onto? Doesn't have to be recent, just not poo poo.

It's genuinely weird to me that Image is probably #2 right now in terms of quality.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is multiversity? Also how is One Million?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How has Jason Aaron's run on Dr.Strange been? I really liked that Mark Waid mini, if that helps.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I see Mark Millar has a new series called Huck. It ACTUALLY looks okay, but it's, y'know....Mark Millar. Anybody read it?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 25, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How similar is the IDW Turtles series to the original Mirage books?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Grimjack any good?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How's Moon Knight after Ellis leaves?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also this lovely collection of Doug Moench writin' Moon Knight https://www.amazon.ca/Moon-Knight-E...nch+moon+knight

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has Wolfman/Perez Titans aged well? I ask because the Omnibus seems cheap.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know people think Bill Jemas is the shits, but is Wolverine: Origin actually good? I know it's considered somewhat important in terms of Logan's story.

Also, how is the Old Man Logan series Lemire is writing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this worth a look? The cover is mighty nice and I do love Iron Fist....

https://www.amazon.ca/Iron-Fist-Living-Complete-Collection/dp/1302904493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493828316&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+fist

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/16165...hVZL&ref=plSrch

Is this good? Seems like it should be. Also how is Mignola's non-Hellboy Dark Horse stuff like Lobster Johnson and Abe Sapien? And what is Welcome Home Mr.Higgins?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service? It sounds awesome but sometimes good premises can lead to mediocre books.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.amazon.ca/Rumble-1-What-Color-Darkness/dp/1632153831/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=548JC60W0Z6GGRFNC85C

Is this as cool as it looks?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which Elseworlds collections do I positively have to have? I have my eye on the Batman collections they just released, especially the first one. I'm intrigued by the Supes collection on the way but am worried the premises are the best part and the stories are dogshit. I'm also eyeing up that big trade that celebrates Mignola's work for DC. Anything else? How's the Justice League one?

Keep in mind I have Kingdom Come, Red Son and I cherish New Frontier the way seniors cherish their grandchildren. I also think Gotham by Gaslight is one of the best alternate history type stories ever, and don't really dig the Batman/Dracula stuff.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 26, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

Some rec's, in no particular order:

Thrillkiller/Thrillkiller '62
Doom that Came To Gotham
Holy Terror
Superman: Speeding Bullets? I think I liked that one...
Superman: At Earth's End just because it's bonkers
Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl
JLA: Riddle of the Beast
Justice Riders
JSA: The Liberty Files

I assume Holy Terror is the one where Batman's a priest, because otherwise you got some 'splainin to do

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

Yes, this one.

i mean, the miller book isn't an elseworlds in the first place soooooo

That cover is really something else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What are the best volumes of Batman: Black and White?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Waid or Aaron's run come first with the Hulk?