Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Can anyone recommend some good Namor-centric storylines, or just plots where he features heavily?

I read the Fear Itself tie-in, which was pretty fun in terms of ridiculous teamups, and I got through all of Namor: The First Mutant, as well, which I quite liked. I also read Sub-Mariner: The Deep, which had the most breathtaking art ever but obviously wasn't typical Namor.

Not liking the New Invaders run too much, though I keep trying. The writing just feels kind of clunky.

I'm up for classics or more recent stuff. If there's anything that doesn't involve half the population of Atlantis getting slaughtered for the billionth time, that'd be awesome. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Are you reading all new invaders or new invaders? One just started an not that bad, and the other is Austen.

I meant All-New Invaders, sorry. The one currently running. I only read the first two, has it picked up a bit?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

What should I read if I want to know more about Corsair? I've got Cyclops #1 and #2 (which I still need to read ...), and I read the All-New X-Men/GotG crossover event, and I want to know more about this crazy space dad. Any important runs/issues I should be looking at?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I don't think a ten year old would be that interested in Hawkeye, no matter how great it is. It feels really ... adult slice-of-life? Especially some of the stuff revolving around Hurricane Sandy hitting New York, references to sex, and the fact it's about a grown man whose life is a drat mess.

Ms Marvel's a good recommendation, and Cyclops is ridiculously fun so far. Guardians of the Galaxy is generally fun, too.

Runaways might be worth a shot, too. It's got a younger cast, and goofy stuff like a psychic pet velociraptor.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

friendo55 posted:

I'm about a year or so into reading comics and looking for a new non-superhero series to get into that's just recently started up [I'm thinking Warren Ellis' Trees?] or especially one that's upcoming.

Right now I'm loving BKV's Saga and anything from Brubaker (catching up on Criminal and reading Velvet). Basically I'm requesting anything that's new and exciting and wasn't sure where to go or how to narrow it all down. With Saga and Velvet it's been much more enjoyable reading month-to-month versus TPB.

Read Rat Queens. Do it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm trying to remember the title of a comic I read a few years back. It was either Vertigo or an indie, put out sometime between 2005 - 2011, and had a young protagonist. I think it was set in the 80's? I feel like the house he lived in had wood paneling.

There was some fantasy adventure stuff that I think was only happening in the kid's head. Kid might have been terminally ill? He had a pet rat (I think?) that he imagined as being some kind of brave/cool sidekick. Possibly the rat was dying instead of the kid.

Any clue? Thanks!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Grant Morrison's Joe the Barbarian.

That's it, cheers. Google wasn't helping at all.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Soonmot posted:

East of West, maybe?

East of West isn't in space, if that matters, but it is sci-fi and pretty cool.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know that it requires no background knowledge, since not only does it spin off from Siege: Loki and Gillen's Thor run, kid Loki himself is a result of something that happened in Fraction's run, which is itself a continuation of JMS' run. It's all very good, but I can't agree that it's mostly self-contained.

I completely skipped Siege and all the other stuff you mentioned before reading JiM and I had a fine time of it. It was p easy to grasp what was going on. I guess I probably missed out on certain things but that lack wasn't really a problem at any point. JiM is what got me started on reading Thor related stuff, honestly.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I kinda want to read Lemire's Green Arrow.

Is there anything I should know before I dive in? I know next to nothing about DC outside of what one might gather via some Batman and Superman movies and occasionally hearing friends mention weird/dumb poo poo they're mad about (and skimming DC-related posts in BSS).

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! These all look really solid!

You might also wanna scope out Channel Zero by Brian Wood; I remember liking it a lot back when I read it, though it's been a while. It fits the gritty cyberpunk thing real well though! ... Although, keep in mind that Brian Wood is apparently kind of a scumbag, so I guess that's worth keeping in mind.

And thanks to everyone else for the advice on Green Arrow, I'm gonna jump on in with Lemire's stuff then!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Pretty harsh statement on Wood there. Sounds like he just made an unsuccessful pass at a woman at a Convention and she freaked out about it. He apologized and she accepted his apology. No reason to slander the guy.

"apparently kind of a scum bag" is too harsh a statement now? I didn't say that reading his stuff would be a heinous crime, nor even that he's definitely a total scumbag. Some people prefer to avoid creators who've sexually harassed people, and you can't make that choice if you don't know about it. Hell, I didn't even say what he'd done - I figured google'd do the trick if the dude I recommended the book to really cared to look. :shrug: I still recommended a comic by the man. I thought it was worth a mention just in case.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Kieron Gillen's Angela is female led, has some nice art and LGBT lead characters. It's only a few issues in so far and I'm not sure how other folks are receiving it but I've liked it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not entirely self-contained, it crosses over with New Mutants and Mighty Thor and starts out as a Fear Itself tie-in.

I didn't actually bother reading any of the rest of Fear Itself beforehand, and JiM was perfectly good and understandable anyway, it felt like. :shrug: (I've since read more of Fear Itself, and wish I'd kept my joyful ignorance.)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Ragequit posted:

Completely new to comics here, and willing to take a jump down this (I assume) insane rabbit hole and money sink. I stopped by a comic shop the other day to pick up a gift and leafed through a few books (volumes rather than thin comic books) like Prophet and Saga. The art looked fantastic, but as for good stories I have no idea where to start. What should I be picking up/looking in to if I am not overly interested in DC/Marvel? I already checked out ComiXology and have an account set up, so I am ready to go digital.

Saga's a really good one.

What genres and themes are you interested in? That might help folks out.

I'm always going to recommend Sweet Tooth, by Jeff Lemire. Trilium, Underwater Welder and Essex County are other books by him outside of DC/Marvel that are real good reads. Southern Bastards, by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour, is another good read in my opinion.

Edit: I'm going to second the East of West recommendation down there if you like interesting worldbuilding.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 23, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Veg posted:

Awful lot of the recommendations here arent giving you adventures, just 'good' comics.

Go read Saga. Its an ongoing by Image, its an amazing adventure through space whilst raising a family. Beautiful book.

The recent X-treme X-Men had plenty of adventure and someone recommended that. :colbert: There were a couple of issues of Amazing X-Men (I think?) that lead into it that might be worth reading first but I can't recall the numbers. Anyway I'm seconding X-treme X-Men.

... And Saga.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

What're some good Apocalypse stories to read, besides Age of Apocalypse?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Opopanax posted:

Remender's X-Force, technically

I love that run and thinking about Evan again is part of what made me want to read more stuff with the actual Apocalypse some more, honestly. :shobon: That and cartoon nostalgia.

dragon_pamcake posted:

X-Cutioner's Song is 90s as hell, but there are some good Apocalypse moments in there.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked "The Twelve" but most people don't.

I'm going to check these out, thanks! I haven't read any of X-Factor yet either so I'll take a look at that stuff too.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Grawl posted:

I've only read (the first 200 or so) issues of Spawn. In the Marvel galaxy, I guess Spiderman and X-men.

Someone else mentioned Astonishing X-Men and I wanna second that one, it's rad. I especially like when Pak and then Liu are on it but whatever. Whedon's part holds up OK. You might check out Wolverine & the X-Men by Jason Aaron, if you like X-Men stuff. It's a fun book set in the school so there's young mutants doin' stuff and being pretty funny and charming. You may or may not want to read the 'Schism' event that preceded it, but you can probably go fine without it honestly - just know Scott and Wolverine had an argument about the FUTURE OF MUTANTKIND, Wolverine hosed off and refounded the school, et voila. (There is also literally a comic called Spider-Man & the X-Men that's really fun but probably requires a little foreknowledge of the characters involved? Which can be gotten reading WATXM, so whatever.)

Uncanny X-Force, which other folks have recommended, is also super good and also explains more about a character who turns up in WATXM. I don't know how newbie-friendly it is ... It confused me a bit when I started out but a little Wiki-ing and a lot of rolling with the punches'll get you through fine.

You could always give Claremont's X-Men a go if you want more than a decade of stuff to wade through! :buddy:

Nota bene: I'm bad at comics and loving love to type too many words.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

zoux posted:

More or less everything released after 2000 is going to be on MU, it's the early stuff where it gets kind of spotty. I wanted to read the Bill Sienkiewicz run on New Mutants but it's incomplete for some reason.

The stuff he did is actually all up there now, I'm pretty sure! It's a relatively recent update, I'm pretty sure, but #1-40 are all up there, which includes the Sienkiewicz stuff.

edit: I'M PRETTY SURE

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Just want to re-iterate this. You might think "Well, I love me some Winter Soldier, so even if the book isn't great I'll read it."

Don't. Just, don't read it. It's really, really bad.

Bucky is one of my favorite male comic book characters ever thanks to Bru + the movies, and I would never in ten thousand years recommend that book to anyone who likes the character or wants to read about him having space adventures.

I was so excited to read about Bucky having stupid space adventures. Even if it was bad. :smith: I will take every possible opportunity to post about what an incoherent mess that book is. It's not even funny-bad, so-bad-it's-good, any of that poo poo. It's just a poorly strung together series of events, in-jokes about harsh noise music thrown in without any reason, and would honestly ... maybe read better if it were an original property? It'd still be bad but there wouldn't be the added crime of being flat-out confusing in how disconnected it is from everything ever that's interesting about the character.

I do really like the solo book that Brubaker and then Latour wrote. That was cool. :shobon:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not know why I keep on reading it. I got suckered in due to liking the character and the writer, but holy poo poo it makes no sense at all. Its the very definition of :catdrugs:

At one point I accidentally read 2 issues out of order and I'm not actually sure it made any more sense with them read properly.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

So I saw some scans from Midnighter #3 that seemed halfway interesting, but I know literally nothing about the character other than 'he gay.' Is there any particularly good stuff about him I should track down? When does he come out or whatever, and was that any good?

Tell me what to read about Midnighter and/or Apollo.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority are comics you should be reading anyway, because they are extremely excellent. So here's the full run-down:

Stormwatch volume 1, issues 37-50: The start of Ellis' run, essential background to what comes next.
Stormwatch volume 2, issues 4-11: Debut of Midnighter and Apollo.
The Authority, entire first volume (29 issues): Midnighter and Apollo kicking an absurdly large amount of rear end. Ellis leaves in the middle, but the whole thing is very good and there are great Midnighter/Apollo moments happening up until the last page of the last issue.

That said, you don't need that background to enjoy the Midnighter ongoing, which is its own thing and doesn't bring a lot of background baggage with it except for "this is Midnighter he fights real well he just broke up with his boyfriend Apollo".
e: I lie, there is a situation with the Garden that I think comes from a previous series which I haven't read. But so far the ongoing hasn't required any background knowledge on that front.

But please don't skip Stormwatch/Authority! Many people rank those series among the big paradigm shifts in comics and they're completely worth the effort.

Rad, thanks, I will pick that stuff up!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's from Grayson. The current Midnighter spins out of his appearances there. Grayson rules. Read Grayson.

... I can't guarantee I'll end up reading Grayson, though. :colbert: I need some money for rent.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

numerrik posted:

I'm looking for some one and done trades, I have enjoyed two step, black summer, proposition player, locke and key, sex, prez, wicked and Devine. I have enjoyed everything I have read from waid, templesmith, Ennis and Ellis. Any recommendations?

E: no marvel

Trillium? Trillium's good.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

If you like Preacher I highly recommend Ennis' run on Hellblazer, the first trade is called Dangerous Habits and the only background you need is that Constantine has demon blood in his veins,and that only comes up once.

I want to second this one. Ennis' Hellblazer stuff owns hard.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Norns posted:

I'm a terrible person and only really read mainline superhero books. My wife however seems to really be getting into indy stuff.

So far I've picked her up: Bitch Planet, Rat Queens, Lady Killer, and that first big rear end Saga omnibus.
She's enjoyed all those so far. She read walking dead and some invincible, but she finds super long story arcs a bit exhausting (and she's back in school and still working full time cuz she's basically wonder woman).

What do I grab next?

If she's liking stuff with female main characters - Lazarus? Revival? I quite like Copperhead, too, which doesn't get enough love - it's a sci-fi/western cop drama about a single mom and her angry war veteran partner, among other things.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Bazanga, just read Judge Dredd.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Bazanga posted:

For Judge Dredd, do I need to start reading at the beginning? Or should I just pick up a few "greatest hits" arcs?

I don't think you'd go wrong starting at the beginning, but you could hop onboard with Case Files 5 and have a pretty good time. You could really easily make arguments for any of the preceding case files, though. Or probably several of the later ones! Check out the Dredd thread and ask there maybe?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

What's some top-tier stuff with Big Barda and Mister Miracle? Please don't suggest that one John Byrne story; I have beaten you to the joke already. Note: I haven't really read anything with either character but they sound fun.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm compiling a list of fantasy comics for a friend, and it's quite possible I overlooked something good. Throw me all your suggestions.

Rat Queens? The Spire? Joe the Barbarian? The Unwritten? These are all good comics.

(Also, thank you to the folks who answered my question!)

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 11, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Because when you have an excuse to make an artist draw dinosaurs, you milk it, dammit!

I'm really looking forward to an era where even comic book dinosaurs have feathers. The industry has to change!

Related: are there any comics with feathered dinos in them. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok thanks guys. I've chosen those that I'm going to purchase and the rest will go on the wishlist. All of them sound interesting.

Since no one addressed it, Watson & Holmes is great. Good art, and it managed to make me - as someone who felt fairly burnt out on the Holmes mythos after the RDJ movies and Cumberbatch's turn at the role - feel really invested and interested again. It's a solid reinvention and IMO worth the time.

... I only ever read volume 1 though and only just realized volume 2 actually, uh, happened. :downs: So thanks for the reminder?

I know you've already made your choices, but still.