Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Marvel and Warlock for sure. And the other issues above are a must too. And yes the recommendation for Silver Surfer around Infinity Gauntlet is right on. I'd say it's as much a prelude for Infinity Gauntlet as Thanos Quest is. It deals with the resurrection of Thanos and Surfer and Warlock in Soul World. And it leads to Silver Surfer 50 which is the direct lead-in to Infinity Gauntlet. The Surfer tie-in issues are all good too and actually flesh out the event.

Starlin's cosmic comics are pretty much my favorite things in comics period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I don't read DC but comixology has a huge New 52 sale and I was wondering if any of these titles were worth looking at. The last DC stuff I read in continuity was probably the Sinestro Corps stuff.

If you're going to go with anything in that sale I'd skip all the New 52 stuff and get that run of Dr. Fate. That's the title that actually made me like the character when I got a random issue in a one of those comic grab bags many years ago. I eventually read the whole thing and came away really liking the character. Although I have heard decent things about JL3000.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, which leads into Infinity (their best major event in years) and the currently running Secret Wars (also a great event) which will get you to the upcoming Marvel relaunch.

Reading order through Infinity

e: \/ Don't wait till October! Secret Wars is too neat. Don't you wanna see the universe blow up first?

Here's the full read order of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity all the way up to Secret Wars

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Pff, doesn't have the New Avengers annual or the Hyperion 1-shot.

That's fan-made, right? That's actually pretty confusing.

Hickman didn't write those.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kafka Esq. posted:

I think the last time I posted here I asked for Winter Soldier stuff, and I only got through Captain America v5. Now I find out accidentally he's taken over for Nick Fury for something completely unrelated and I want to know more. What are the best volumes to buy, having finished v5 and no further? I know he's in Siege, Fear Itself, and Original Sin, and now has his own current series. Is there anything in between that I should get?

Do not get his current series. It is bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Oni's got a linewide sale on Comixology. Any thing in there worth a poo poo?

From those listed.

The Sixth Gun
Letter 44
The Bunker
Wasteland
Stumptown

I've heard good things about Queen and Country but never read it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Of the new stuff? The only thing I absolutely say you should never even look at is the continuation of the original Quantum and Woody series. It's garbage. Otherwise Shadowman after Justin Jordan leaves isn't any good either, but it's not like Q2 where it's not even worth the paper it's printed on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That's "Quantum and Woody Must Die"?

No, that's the mini that follow their new series. The continuation of the old series is Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody. Avoid as if it were carrying a disease.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uthor posted:

I was going to say it earlier, but East of West. Get on that poo poo post haste.

Yes, very much this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of the plot and pacing of Sex Criminals right now, but drat, of all the titles I've ever read it certainly seems like the one where the creators are having the most fun :allears:

The only thing wrong with the pacing on Sex Criminals is that Fraction seemed to bring his release schedule from Hawkeye with him when he left Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Scarlet Spider and the recent New Warriors were good. I miss both titles. Aracely and Jake Waffles were too good for this world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You can't go wrong with any Valiant. Even the weakest thing, Shadowman, is still pretty decent. And everything else is great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really liked the first couple years of Invincible, but then I kind of lost track of it and heard it basically devolved into ridiculous violence. That's a shame because it started off really well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zachack posted:

Irredeemable by Waid would be what you want. Maybe Supergods by Ellis.

Plus Miracleman.

Irredeemable is great stuff, not sure it's really like those books though. Anyway, everyone should read both it and Incorruptible as they are both fantastic. Especially Incorruptible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

If she's liking stuff with female main characters - Lazarus? Revival? I quite like Copperhead, too, which doesn't get enough love - it's a sci-fi/western cop drama about a single mom and her angry war veteran partner, among other things.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

All three of these books are great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

North 40. Definitely North 40. And Fatale, though that's not strictly a horror book.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 30, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

10 Beers posted:

So, does anyone have any recommendations for what's good in the ANAD Marvel camp?

If I were to do a Top 5 so far it would be:

1 Invincible Iron Man
2 The Ultimates
3 New Avengers
4 Amazing Spider-Man
5 All New Wolverine

Also notably great: Contest of Champions, Web Warriors, Nova, Hercules, Vision, Uncanny Inhumans.

Really pretty much all the books I've read have been at worst good. The only stuff I've skipped so far is Carnage, Howard The Duck, Squirrel Girl, Drax, Spider-Gwen, and Angela so I can't speak for those.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

My wifes been getting into comics lately, which means I've been spending time in comic book stores. I really enjoy hard sci-fi, and every time I tell someone at a comic book store that I like hard sci fi they seem really confused, almost to the point where I am starting to think that this isn't a genre for comic books. I just want something that is sci fi that doesn't feature super powers, maybe a story about politics or exploration. That would be nice, does this exist?

Books currently going that might be in the direction you're looking for: Letter 44, Faster Than Light, Invisible Republic, The Bunker. Probably a few more if I had time to properly think, but those are a good start.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There is a crossover, but it is true that Incorruptible is the better book. Both are great though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

obi_ant posted:

Anyone read "Revival"? The book any good? The premise seemed cool through the Amazon review, but I'm about 5 issues in and I'm feeling kinda "meh" about the whole thing.

It's probably my favorite series ever dealing with undead people. Because it's very different from what you usually see in those kinds of books and the undead aren't zombies. Plus it's kind of got this small town noir feel to it I love. Also Mike Norton's art is the kind of style I really enjoy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Have you seen Les Revenants?

They share a lot of similar tones and style, but overall I enjoy Revival much more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The best DC books are: Grayson, Legend of Wonder Woman (a digital book), and Robin Son of Batman. Other comics worth reading that are currently going include Midnighter and Black Canary. That's about all I can recommend.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you enjoyed Invincible, you might like Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber and Mahmud Asrar.

Dynamo 5 is good stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I see that's a 25 issue run, did it get a chance to wrap up or was it yanked?

There's 26 issues, including the 0 issue, the Annual and the Holiday Special and then there's a five issue mini that picks up after the series. It was not yanked, it was ended by the creators but they left the door open to do more down the line. It takes place in the same universe as Faerber's Noble Causes which is not as good but still a fun but different kind of read.

The Dynamo 5 are all illegitimate kids of Captain Dynamo, a Superman analogue of sorts who was all into the spoils that come along with being a famous superhero. Each of them have one of the superpowers their father had. After he dies his widow tracks them down and forms them into a team to try and replace him. It's a fun book.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 26, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I'm not sure if I'm violating the spirit of the thread with this request, but here goes:

I'm not much of a comics-reader, just a few trade paperbacks here and there over the years. Always a big Spider-Man fan, but I think that's the only superhero I ever got into very much.

Lately, I've been interested in exploring a few titles. I don't really want to collect comics, so I figured I'd use a digital service.

I'm interested in Spider-Man, Captain America, Ms. Marvel, and maybe seeing if the Star Wars stuff is any good. Seems like Marvel Unlimited might be the way to go? I'm interested in reading current stuff, but the 6-month delay doesn't bug me too much.

I guess what I'm unsure about is Cap and Spidey not being the same characters that kind of drove my interest in the first place. How is the new Cap? Are we expecting Steve back? What about non-Parker Spideys (I guess there are more than one?). Finally, if anyone wants to throw out a thought on Ms. Marvel or the Star Wars stuff, that'd be helpful.

New Cap is good. But Steve is back soon and we'll have both at the same time. As for the Spideys, Miles is a great character. You should catch up on him on MU. He's now in the Marvel Universe proper instead of the Ultimate Universe, but all of his history is unchanged and is still part of his story (the creator has confirmed this). As for Spider spinoffs, I'd start with the Silk solo books. They are really good books. Spider-Gwen started out ok, but I feel the writer is focusing too much on creating an alternate Marvel Universe at the expense of the story that I wanted out of it. Spider-Man 2099 is a good read too, it's Peter David and he's at his best with his pet characters like Miguel O'Hara or any of the X-Factor folks. I'd also recommend checking out the recently wrapped long running Nova series with Sam Alexander as the lead. He, Miles (the new Spider-Man), and Kamala (Ms. Marvel) are the foundation of the new Avengers title by Mark Waid.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Honestly I wouldn't even worry about the newer stuff right now. Get MU, check out the stuff you're interested in and maybe a couple things people suggest and see how you feel about it. MU is a fantastic deal and is probably one of the best things to happen to comics in the last few years. Even if the apps are less than optimal.

Also go back and read stuff like the Bendis original Ultimate Spider-Man with Ultimate Peter Parker, which I consider to be one of the greatest comics ever made. And if you're into Captain America you absolutely must read Ed Brubaker's run with Winter Soldier. It was character (re)defining stuff.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 4, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

From Under the Mountains, Autumnlands and Muirwood would probably qualify. Birthright might too, depending on your definition of fantasy.

Birthright is a fantastic book. And I don't even like Fantasy. The personal connections and the lost kid's affect on the family angle is what really sells the book for me. That first issue is probably one of the better first issues I've read in years. I was instantly hooked because of the family stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Duggan/Posehn run for sure.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Check out Galacta for sure. It's a must have for Galactus fans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Mods shouldn't troll.

It's essential reading.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr E posted:

I took advantage of the deal for Marvel Unlimited for cheaper. I'm wanting to read the Secret Wars stuff since it looks like it's mostly up on unlimited now. Should I go by the reading order in the app or are there other books I should read before or during? Also, is the death of wolverine worth reading? It looks like the new marvel thread is good for stuff after secret wars so I'll use that after it starts being available on unlimited.

There is no real reading order for Secret Wars. Almost all of the minis are separate from the actual event itself. They just take place on the same world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Might as well just wait for Rebirth at this point. It's only a couple months away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Wait is DC rebooting again?

Rebooting? No. They're Rebirthing. And no, nobody really knows what that means at this point except that all the books except two (Action and Detective) are starting over at #1 with new teams and that over half the line is moving to twice a month. Action and Detective are going back to their old numbering.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That company man...

Eh, it's kind of a mixed bag. There's been some promising stuff said and some really dumb stuff, like the aforementioned double shipping of over half of their books. Because everyone is just waiting to read Deathstroke and Cyborg twice a month.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I just saw your edit but yeah, unless Warren Ellis is taking over I don't think Cyborg justifies twice a month at all. Is this where they roll back all the indie Marvelish poo poo they were letting people do like on Black Canary?

By all accounts DCYou was seen as a failure. I mean there's good stuff like Tom King writing Batman, but it's shipping twice a month like ever other major book so my guess is that the art is going to suffer as it almost always does with long term double shipping. Unless they have really good artists rotating arcs, but even then it'll eventually catch up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

At this point I don't think we can even be sure of this. Their June solicits had a handful of titles continuing on with their current numbering, like Red Hood, Cyborg, and a few others.

That's the last of the N52 books. Red Hood relaunches with #1 in July and Cyborg in the Fall.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KoldPT posted:

Hello friends, I watched the Batman bin Suparman movie yesterday and that made me think I hadn't read any DC since, like, a month after the new 52.

1) Are there any really standout, exceptional post-n52 runs? I was really into Morrison's Batman, but dropped out when n52 started.

2) What about Wonder Woman? I remember people saying Rucka's run was great, at the time, but I didn't read it. Might as well ask for other good WW stories in general.

Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run in the N52 is probably one of the best runs of the character and really got me into the character for the first time. There's a digital series right now called The Legend of Wonder Woman which is fantastic and needs to stay around forever so check that out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's a really charming and fun early Wonder Woman story with beautiful art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

It's less that I'm looking into the "lady spider" game as much as the concept of Spider-Gwen sounds pretty appealing to me, personally speaking

I value really strong characterization and connective emotional centerpieces in my fiction, with less of an emphasis on rigorous plotting and i find overly self-serious fiction to be downright insufferable (which is why i wanna try marvel and not DC in the first place)

You want Ms Marvel or Silk. You don't want Spider-Gwen, it's not that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Most people will tell you no because there's a serious hatred for Dan Slott around here, that I don't really share, but if you have Marvel Unlimited I don't see why not. It's a quick read and gives you a little backstory.

Also you did know there are two different Silk series right? The current one that is on issue six, and the one from last year that ran for seven issues.