Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Porkins posted:

I'm either looking for a good sci-fi or gothic/paranormal super hero/team. I think I'd also like to keep it fairly recent, so written within the past 15 years or so. I'd prefer it if the writer and artist stay consistent, I tend to lose interest if either change all of a sudden.

I really like the Hellboy/BPRD series and I've read and enjoyed most of Brian Vaughan and Warren Ellis's comics or runs on various comics. I tend to shy from the big crossovers or events. I think it's because I prefer things in their own setting and no to have to read other series to get the full story. or maybe because I tend not to like the writers (Loeb).

Beasts of Burden by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson sounds like it might be just what you want. There's even been some one shots where they team up with the BRPD. It's about a team of investigators who go around solving paranormal activity in their small neighbourhood.

Also they are all cats and dogs.

And the art is pretty drat gorgeous.

Dark Horse has a preview of issue #1 up on their site. It's a really great series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Baby Broomer posted:

I have always wanted to read The Flash, so what're the recommended Flash runs? I'm willing to read really old comics, in fact I love them, so please feel free to recommend some 50's stories if they're any good.

Also, I'm almost through Ennis' Punisher Max. What are the best Ennis books? I ask because I've heard a lot of horror stories. If it helps, I hated the Boys and that book alone almost put me off Ennis forever until I started reading his Hellblazer run.

After you've finished with Punisher Max follow up with Fury Max: My War Gone By. It some of Ennis' best stuff and I comfortably falls under PunisherMax/Hellblazer rather than The Boys. It's one of my favourite books of the last few years. Also while not Ennis I would suggest you try the similarly named PunisherMAX (all one word) by Jason Aaron and Steve Dillion which is a continuation of sorts to Ennis' run and really great.

Saeku posted:

edit: Oh yeah, and I could use more recs -- had a great time this week with X-Men: Legacy, Superior Spider-Man, the Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and the X-Men First Class movie. I'm really into these kinds of storylines where the focus is less on whether or not the hero will win a given fight, and more about the internal conflicts that drive heros and villains. Any more character-focused books I should be getting into? (Not involving Batman. I've already read a lot of introspective books about Batman.)

Just echoing previous suggestions but Daredevil by Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev is the definitive street level superhero book, which while he fights bad dudes, is at it's core about how the main character suffers a nervous breakdown after his girlfriend is killed and how he tries to react as his secret identity is outed and he goes beyond breaking point. Alias by Bendis and Gaydos is similar in that it's about a former superhero attempting to readjust to life after a horrible event which forced her to hang up her costume.

Metal Loaf posted:

How is Geoff Johns's Superman stuff with Gary Frank?

I'm asking mostly because I like Gary Frank. :shobon:

It's alright. Frank does his usual thing which looks a bit weird when young Clark kind of looks a bit like bobbleheaded Christopher Reeves and it falls under revamping Superman's origin just before Nu52 happens and erases it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Pulse is the Ben Urich show but has a lot of Jessica and Luke moments, including the birth of Danielle which I think is pretty important for the characters. It works better alongside Secret War and the Bendis Avengers books that were coming out at the time. It's also got Bendis doing some great moments like Osborn being confronted, Peter and Ben discussing Spider-Man and the whole D-Man plot. And Gaydos goes on art for a bit.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Borrowed some of that Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from my buddy and it's great. My only disappointment is knowing there's probably not a lot about the internal world of Vanessa Fisk. You could make a pretty great movie out of that stuff and thus far she's only had a few pages.

He didn't have the Brubaker issues or Superior Foes. Is Marvel Unlimited or whatever the on-demand service is worth it? And for non-Marvel stuff like Zero, is there any option better than just driving down to the comic shop and crossing my fingers?

Whenever you get around to it she does appear more in Brubaker's run though he does things differently with her.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Ramadu posted:

Hi, I was looking to figure out where I should start with Hellblazer. Should I start with issue 1? That 1980s art is pretty harsh on the eyes. Is there a more modern jumping in point or should I just tough it out and hope the comics in the 90s are better?

The art in Hellblazer never really goes modern. I'd suggest starting with #1 or if you really want you can start with #41 "Dangerous Habits" but if you don't like Dangerous Habits you just won't like Hellblazer.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I think Brubaker's first issue up to say Captain America: Reborn is really great stuff and definitive Cap. It loses a lot after that though his Winter Soldier stuff remains strong.

Never felt like I needed to be reading more than just the book though, especially when it delves into Bucky-Cap (the book's strong point).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I dunno that's not too hard to follow.

While Cap was frozen the US put someone else in his costume so there'd always be a Captain America. Said dude went crazy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Green Arrow 17-34 by Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino is the one run you want.

It's close in tone to the series and also introduces characters like Diggle over to the DC Universe proper and is is partly focused around Ollie's time on ~the island~. The show has also original characters from the book appear and the Meryln/Thea stuff mirrors a lot of what is done with Komodo and Emico in the book.

It's also a really good run.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

hadji murad posted:

What's the reasoning for the dislike of Kevin Smith's Daredevil again. Had an urge to read it and need to be talked off the ledge.

e: starting a reread of the character

The main conflict is Mysterio convincing a character they have aids and trying to get Matt to kill a baby. It's also just badly written with it being a Loeb-esque "greatest hits" run where the villains motivation is Ben Reilly is around so they can't torment the "real Spider-Man".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Phylodox posted:

Are there any good Kevin Smith runs? Evidently his Daredevil stint sucked, and I read his Cacophany story on Batman and...jeesh, that was dire.

Not really though people like his Green Arrow.

Now though you have to read the follow up series to Cacophany, Batman: The Widening Gyre, where Smith retcons it so that Batman pisses himself during his "dramatic reveal" to the corrupt officials of Gotham in Batman: Year One and don't you dare make fun of it cos Smith knows real Firemen who have had that happen to them so it's a real thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I haven't really read Spider-Man since Erik Larsen was drawing Amazing, but the concept of "Agent Venom" seems really interesting to me. Where should I pick up if I want to see how that character was created, what he's been up to, etc?

Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 is basically the origin issue. Then there's the Venom ongoing by Remender/Tony Moore and then eventually Cullen Bunn and Dec Shalvey. If you want more after all of that he was also in the last series of Thunderbolts (not a great book at start) and then Secret Avengers. He's now in space, because Bendis.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SunAndSpring posted:

So I've been reading a lot of Grant Morrison (Doom Patrol, Animal Man, All-Star Superman), as well as Saga and Kill Six Billion Demons, and I'm really liking the weird bullshit that happens in those comics. Are there any other good surreal and bizarre comics like these?

Based on Kill Six Billion Demons and Saga I will say read Orc Stain and Prophet. Everybody read Orc Stain.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Skwirl posted:

Definitely Fantastic Four 48-51, but also Silver Surfer: Parable.

Yeah Silver Surfer: Parable is my favourite Galactus story, though it's hard to beat Moebius.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

While it's true that you can just read FInal Crisis on its own Seven Soldiers is worth it for being arguably the best consistent thing Morrison has done in DC.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

decapode posted:

So I'm looking for more comics about women, or with predominantly female teams.
Currently reading Ms. Marvel, Elektra, Rat Queens, The Wicked + The Divine, Saga, Ody-C, and Batgirl.

Bonus points for queerness, obvious or implied (I read Harley Quinn for the Harley/Ivy arc :kiddo:)

Since you like a lot of Image books, Pretty Deadly is like 99% female creative team and has a second series out this year. Glory ticks a lot of that if you like or can handle sprinkles of violence, Bitch Planet and Shutter are both ongoing at the moment. If you like Wicked and The Divine, Young Avengers focuses on a mainly female and/or queer team.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Pretty Deadly is nothing like The Dark Tower, Multiversity is more of a knock off than Pretty Deadly. Pretty Deadly's first book just retains some of the western tone of it's original pitch.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Ramadu posted:

So I was reading some comics and the whole marvel smoosh stuff. I was interested in the ultimate fantastic four reed richards thing. So I went and found all of the ultimate fantastic four and the fallout stuff but it just ended with Reed floating in space and then I guess going white and making a thunderdome for smart kids? I cannot seem to figure out how we got from there to here and the internet isn't helping me. I got the whole future foundation stuff (hickmans run) because I thought that might be it (spiderman in marvel heroes has a costume like he had on) but it was just his kids doin science poo poo not a negative zone battle royal. What do I read to figure this out?

Are you looking for his heel turn in particular? There was a mini event called Ultimate Comics Doomsday, it's collected throughout Ultimate Enemy #1-4, Ultimate Mystery #1-4 and Ultimate Doom #1-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Ramadu posted:

Yeah I know that since I read all the Avengers/New Avengers stuff. But I'm talking about this thing with burnt face Reed leading it,

Also Fury mentioned in one of the recent Avengers that he blew up Europe with this thing.

Ah that's Hickman's Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates. He does the first 12 issues before being upgraded to 616 Avengers. As for the heel turn there's no real motive behind it really. The Ultimate Universe needed a new Doom (hence why he gets scarred) and Reed kind of already fit the bill of one turn from going crazy.