Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Zoro posted:

To this I say but one thing, buy the big two if you like the characters, buy Indie if you like good stories, by both if you like comics.

I’ll add: Donate to the Hero Initiative if you like comic creators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Love & Rockets? If you can find a good collection, that is.

The tpbs by Fantagraphics are good, they collect the entire series. Also, as a fellow south American, I’m gonna recommend you Bookdepository.com
It doesn’t charge shipping and in most cases it’s cheaper than amazon once you convert to your local money.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Connellingus posted:

I'm trying to refresh myself on the paltry amount of Spanish I learned in high school, and to that end I'm trying to acquire as much reading material in the language as possible. Can anyone recommend some really good graphic novels that were originally published in Spanish? Bonus points if you can point me in the direction of a good place to buy them online as well. They can be from Spain, Latin America, or wherever. Cuban history and human rights under the Castro regime are of particular interest to me, and from a quick Google I can see a few graphic novels dealing with those subjects, but those appear to have been written originally in languages other than Spanish.

Los Años de Allende (by Carlos Reyes and Rodrigo Elgueta) and El Cardenal (by Kote Carvajal and Luis Inzunza) have to do with the years before and during the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile.
There’s also Blacksad, by two Spanish creators, but published originally in French. There’s a Spanish translation though.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

What the gently caress...

Why relaunch the story every year?

I was gonna write a pithy remark about "Sales!" But y'know what? I wanna know too. Was it because the stories weren't working or something? Maybe Edge & Christian knows.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

The first 2 volumes of Rat Queens

Let's not recommend a book by a wife-beater.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

Are those direct downloads or do they sort redeem somewhere?

Direct download or torrent. Also you can choose between .cbz/.cbr or pdf. Or you can get both for some reason.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

I did my annual dip in and read Matt Lesniewski's Crimson Flower #1 and Copra 38, that was good poo poo. Anything individually stylish and kinetic like that anyone could recommend?
The Luther Strode Saga (The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, The Legend of Luther Strode, The Legacy of Luther Strode) by Justin Jordan, Tradd Moore and Felipe Sobreiro. Tradd Moore is at the top of the "action" artist right now, along with Yusuke Murata, in my opinion.

Orc Stain by James Stokoe is also a good comic, but I don't remember if Stokoe ever finished the series.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Zachack posted:

Thoughts on Byrne's 4th World run? There's an omnibus and I have low self-control.

It's poo poo.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Cobra: The Last Laugh (by Costa, Gage, and Fuso; the best G.I. Joe story EVER; 12 issues about an obscure Joe named Chuckles who goes deep undercover in Cobra)

Began reqading this, because it sound interestin and...

So GI Joe are the bad guys in this one, huh.

Edit: Man, the art in this series is not good at all.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 4, 2022

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

G.I. Joe is more of a morally ambiguous organization in this continuity, especially its leadership (Hawk). Everyone is shades of gray, but some bad guys are definitely worse than others. I hope you still find some enjoyment in this.

Fuso's art grew on me. It reminded me a bit of what Jock did on The Losers, but even early in his career, Jock was still better than Fuso.

I had to stop reading. Fuso's art was bad enough but the new person they had doing the art to replace him for a few months is atrocious and the writing was not strong enough to carry it.

Narzack posted:

But, yeah, bloody horror and action or space opera sci fi would be cool. I'm also a dumbass who's very particular about art. I don't really care for impressionistic stuff, I like clear and clean art. Manga is fine, too.

For horror manga, you cant go wrong with Junji Ito. Luckily, there's been a boom about him in the last two years so his stories and shorts are easy to find. Give Uzumaki a try.
Also, The Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezu is a classic and it got a new edition in english some months ago, so it's also easy to get now.
Hideshi Hino is also a classic horror manga author. His art is more "childish" and seems unpolished at first, but it really works to accentuate the horror in his stories, which can be intense as gently caress. He directed Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood, based on one of his manga stories.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Doing a summer reading bingo thing and I need to read a non-fiction graphic novel, any suggestions? Be great if it were on MU or the DC one but I couldn't find any

Palestine, by Joe Sacco.