Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where should I start with modern (post 2000) Thor?

Also is JMS universally bad or just bad on certain runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

That's really not true, Supreme Power was really good, and the first half or so of his Spider-Man is really good too (although some people don't like the Spider-totem stuff, whatevs). His FF was...ok? I forget how much of it I read. Although it does have that really horrible stuff with Reed during Civil War. I think I dropped it around that point.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out where to pick up FF post Waid's first run. I'm skipping Claremont's for sure because I can't stand him, but I think JMS comes in next after him.

I'm going to read post BND Spiderman at some point, I see the Spider Island stuff later on, is that the much maligned run where Spiderman meets the God of Spiders or whatever?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Hickman, just read Hickman.

Dude I just read every single X-book from ReLoad up to AvX I don't think you understand my commitment towards completionism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just read Strong Female Protagonist and really liked it, are there other superhero webcomics that are worth reading? I looked in the webcomic thread, but SFP was lumped in with "fantasy" and I looked through the lists but didn't see anything that seemed to fit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Doctor McNinja?

Doc McNinja is good, but it's not really what I'm looking for. What I liked about SFP, besides the interesting and unusual characterization of the heroes/villians, is the exploration of how ridiculously overpowered beings would interact with the real world as we experience, and how punching big robots really doesn't address any of the real big problems the world faces. It's similar to what I liked about the Ultimates, except it looked more at how superbeings would affect geopolitics, which is something that mainstream supercomics kind of gloss over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While we're talking Bendis, Alias and Goldfish. Alias is also a sneaky gateway drug into superhero comics :getin:

100 Bullets, too, maybe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bendis/Brubaker Daredevil is all about Matt Murdoch having the real world legal machinery thrown at him. X-Statix is basically a case study on marketing superheroes as celebrities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Enjoying Powers, Gotham Central and DD so far. Can't find X-statix on Comixology though X-Force shows up. I've read book one of Top 10 but can't seem to track down book 2 or a digital version. Going to give Alias a go.

Well the Milligan/Allred X-Force starts in X-Force #116 and runs through #129 so that's a good chunk of comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

The X-Statix stuff starts on X-Force #116, and you can find it on Marvel Unlimited. I'm pretty sure Alias isn't digital since it is MAX but the omni for it is getting a reprint.

After 129 it continues in a book actually called X-Statix.

Right but he was saying X-Statix wasn't on Comixology.

Marvel Unlimited also doesn't have Alias, but if you are just trying to catch a few runs here and there and don't care about owning digital copies, a month's worth of Unlimited is like 8 bucks and you can read sooo much stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Punisher recommendations? Preferably stuff not "drawn" by Ariel Olavetti.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

The Ennis max run is the best hands down. Remender's is also good, if you're into weird stuff

Isn't the Remender run also Olivetti's?

Also Unlimited doesn't have Max stuff for some reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

What are some good books featuring Rockslide? Any time period is fine; I just want to see more of him after seeing some panels of him around here and in Avengers Academy.

New X men (not Morrison's) and he's in Generation Hope a bit. His best all time panel is in one of the X men Fear Itself tie ins though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've been reading over some of the Stan Lee era X-Men stuff from those Essentials and maybe I'm just not as emotionally invested in the characters as, say, Spider-Man. Is there any point that this stuff is worth reading and it gets actually good with a plot?

Yeah I tried to do a "read all the X-men ever" one time and got through like 2 Stan Lee issues. I get why people thought comics were a joke medium until recently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hi liter posted:

I've read through the 28 issues of Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man on Marvel Unlimited and loved it. The scene where Miles lets the Roxxon guy hang upside-down monologuing before saying 'you're under arrest'? Pure gold.

So since the stuff following it isn't on Marvel Unlimited yet, what do I need to buy next time I'm in the comic book store?

Also what's good with X-men these days? There are like 8 different books and I have no idea where to start. FWIW I really like Whedon's Astonished X-Men.

I really like All-New and Uncanny X-men, but some people can't take time travel shenanigans (these people should not read x-books.) Wolverine and the X-men is pretty much universally loved. I dunno when the last time you read was but, what's going on post AvX isThe phoenix force comes back to earth, gets split into five parts accidentally by Tony Stark, inhabits Namor, Emma Frost, Cyclops and the Rasputins, they try to unilaterally make the world into a Utopia, the Avengers don't like that, they shut down the Phoenix Five after events, Scott, Emma, Magneto and Magik decide to form their own X-men (Uncanny) which says gently caress the Avengers and gently caress the world we're looking out for mutants first, this pisses off Beast so he goes back in time to get the original five X-Men (yes Jean Grey is back, in teen form) so that modern Scott would be shamed by old school Scott (All-new X-men) Then Battle of the Atom happens which is a crossover between the three main X-books and shifts some teams and people and motivations around. Vanilla X-men and Astonishing are still going on but afaik they aren't tied into the main continuity. There's Amazing as well which I haven't read but Jason Aaron wrote it. There's an X-force book with Cable leading the team but it's its own thing too, mostly.

e: I'm reading all this through Unlimited so I'm six months behind (and OK with that) so it's possible there has been some huge book shakeup I'm not aware of.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which Ultimate Marvel minis/one shots are worth it? I already know the Iron Man OSC one is garbage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

If Bendis's name is on it, it's important. They have all been good except cataclysm

I mean, is there anything in Ult. marvel to avoid, really? I know Ultimates 3/Ultimatum is supposed to be pretty awful, but I think I have to read it because it fucks with so much poo poo.

Back in the day I read the four ongoings through Before Ultimates 3, so I've heard Ultimatium "ruins Ultimate Marvel" until the relaunch. True? (And The only specific complaints I've heard are Blob eats Wasp and Wolverine is mean to Clint about his dead wife)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saeku posted:

The plot of Ultimates 3 hinges around a leaked sex tape between Iron Man and Black Widow. It's barely relevant to the wider continuity beyond one important event that launches Ultimatum, but it's a pretty fun read in an entertainingly stupid way, and could potentially have been legitimately good if it took itself less seriously.

Ultimatum is grim, unpleasant, stupid and pointless. It "ruins Ultimate Marvel" by snuffing a tremendous amount of beloved characters. If you want to know about Ultimatum for continuity purposes, I would skip the comic and just read the lists of deaths on the Wikipedia article -- it's an entire page long on my laptop screen.

Ugh. What is Jeph Loeb's deal?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gillen's Young Avengers run is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waid's current Daredevil run has some really funny parts. And some really not funny parts as well, so I'm not sure if it's what you're after.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

So what run should I read as someone completely new to comic books? Just pick one and go? As of now I'm going to read the original run of Deadpool, for pretty much no reason other than I know of that character. Any better suggestions?

The Ultimate universe is pretty good for that kind of stuff. Brand new separate continuity so you don't have to know any backstory. That's pretty much how I got into superhero books and look at me now!

Saki posted:

I'm pretty new to superhero comics and would appreciate some suggestions. I've just started reading Thor: God of Thunder and am loving it, any comics a bit like that kicking around? Also, the X-Men comics seem pretty good but honestly the sheer number of them is a bit intimidating. Are there any particularly good runs to start off at?

If you are an adult coming to comics with mature storytelling sensibilities the old stuff is going to drive you nuts. Claremont's stories are good but the dialog is atrocious, repetitive and extremely expository. If you want to get into X-men stuff as a new adult reader, I'd recommend starting with Morrison's New X-Men or Whedon's Astonishing X-Men runs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

East of West is set in an alternate universe where western stuff never went away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-men Legacy right after Messiah Complex is all about Xavier putting his life back together and dealing with his sins.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bout to wrap up Thanos Imperative, is the Annihilators stuff worth reading?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh is there something I'm supposed to read before the current GotG series, because everyone's back from the dead all of a sudden.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's fine, bringing dudes back is always convoluted and/or bullshit, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is an extremely broad question but:

Last week I got the Planetary omni and this week I got the Sleeper omnibus. I was wondering what other good omnibus collections are out there? I like indie superheroish stuff like the two I mentioned, I'm not really interested in slice of life or whatever books. So good omnibuses that collect 20+ or so issues of really quality, complete runs is what I'm after.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I know it isn't indie but Uncanny X-Force by Remender. Animal Man by Grant Morrison. Out of the Onmis I have that are complete series those are my favorite.

I should've mentioned that I have an Unlimited sub, so I've read (or can read) more or less everything mainstream Marvel. I love the X-force stuff going back to the Kyle/Yost/Crain run. I've read that Animal Man run as well, but it would be a good series to own.

redbackground posted:

There's a Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus coming out soon you should definitely look into.

Yeah I've heard great things about that run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Hickman Marvel stuff (which seems really really difficult to get into, honestly) I have no idea what's currently good in funnybooks.

His FF stuff is pretty accessible and it's in trade.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Borrowed some of that Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from my buddy and it's great. My only disappointment is knowing there's probably not a lot about the internal world of Vanessa Fisk. You could make a pretty great movie out of that stuff and thus far she's only had a few pages.

He didn't have the Brubaker issues or Superior Foes. Is Marvel Unlimited or whatever the on-demand service is worth it? And for non-Marvel stuff like Zero, is there any option better than just driving down to the comic shop and crossing my fingers?

Marvel Unlimited adds new issues six months after they are published. They have pretty much everything published after 1995, but are missing long chunks of runs from before then. It has the entirety of the Bendis and Brubaker runs.

It's $10 bucks a month, and for that price I have read literally thousands of comics since February. It's much much better on a tablet, but it may not matter depending on your tolerance for reading on a computer screen at a desk (my tolerance for that is very low).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can see the whole catalog without registering, I think, so you can check out if what you want to read is on there.

It's 10 bucks, sign up for a month, see if you use it enough to get value. There's at least one TPB's worth of material on it that you probably wanted to read anyway, and a month is cheaper than a TPB, so it's a no-brainer for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I just came to the end of Remender's run on Venom. Do I stop now, or bravely press on into Cullen Bunn territory?

Edit: The next arc is called "Monsters of Evil," that does not sound promising.

It's alright, but I honestly didn't think that Remender's run was anything spectacular.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dubs posted:

I've read some of it, i'll keep on it. I thought he came from a more recent X Men run.

Because there is like a billion of em.

I was deep deep into UXF before I had a grasp of Fantomex's deal and I've read New X-men a bunch of times. He's just kind of a murky character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also why does he constantly pour drinks on his head?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For all the people who will be asking about the GotG reading order: The team that you saw in the movie is in the most recent BMB run, the big Annihilation/Conquest Guardians run has the six movie GotG people, but in the team are 4-6 more people who weren't in the film. They are absolutely worth reading but when I read the 2008-on cosmic run earlier this summer I was a bit confused at first.

Now for a question: are the Aliens and Predator comics any good and are they collected anywhere?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Dark Horse has many many Aliens, Predator, and Aliens & Predator omniboo.

Holy hell yes they do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I own all the Aliens omniboo, and they're mostly pretty good for licensed comics. Last year I wrote a couple of posts summarizing the first couple of volumes that act as a continuation of Aliens, but were written before Alien 3 killed off Hicks and Newt. Check it out if you're interested, those stories are pretty fun (you might need archives).

The AvP comics are very hit and miss as far as I can understand.

Oh! Good show!

Kindle version is just $12 bucks so I'll check out the first one.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Puckish rogues: The Runaways, Journey into Mystery, the latest run of Young Avengers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It seems to me that it might vary by a day or two but in the half-year I've been on it it's been pretty close. Unlimited adds their stuff on Mondays and NCBD is Wednesday so it's not exact.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For the last time comic book creators: Dinosaurs are not a credible threat to superheroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This would be a good time here in the recommendation thread to recommend Old Man Logan to anyone who wants to see what a good Millar book looks like.