Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

You just blew my loving mind.
Anathem is kind of an homage to A Canticle for Leibowitz, whose Wanderer character shares some traits with Enoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Writing a good sex scene that won't be creepy is pretty much impossible so you might as well have fun with it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

I'd say that REAMDE isn't in the same universe. The Crypt comes online in the late 90s or early 2000s, and REAMDE seems to be set much closer to ~2010 than ~2000. If the Crypt exists in README's world, then T'Rain's importance as a way of anonymously moving money online doesn't make sense.
I suppose The Crypt could have failed miserably, which has been the case with every attempt to do something like it in real life.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

New book was recently announced, Seveneves will be released in April next year. Apparently it has something to do with the last 7 women to survive a global catastrophe or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It probably seemed like a better idea 23 years ago before "leetspeak" completely wore out its welcome.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snak posted:

I basically just wish the Stephenson would write nonfiction. I think all the best elements of his talent could still be present and all the weeaboo poo poo I hate would end up being way more toned down. My favorite thing about Stephenson always makes me think of the phrase George Lucas used while describing the Star Wars prequels in comparison to he original films: "It's like poetry, it's like they rhyme." Except that Stephenson is really loving good at and Lucas was terrible. Stephenson always picks one or two ideas, and then makes a book that is a just a loving fractal of that idea. Like, even Snow Crash is basically about two things: Surfing/Going with the flow and memetics, and those two are arguably related. Just about everything that happens in that book is related to one of those two things. He's also very fond of being critical of bureaucracy, which I think was a bigger influence in his earlier work. But he can't just stick to that, he also has to take the latest cool thing he's obsessed with and loving fellate it all over the page and make sure to have almost all of his characters be "super badass" at something. Like he's never had a character who wasn't a prodigy at something.

I do love the fact that, after getting super into swords, he realized that Katanas aren't as cool as he thought and admitted it outright.

edit: I think at this point I'm posting basically this same rant more than once per page in this thread, so I'm sorry for that...
Why can't we explore those ideas in fiction? it's a lot of fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snak posted:

Because then we have to read about the wacky adventures of half-dick jack or whatever.
I'm sorry you hate fun so much.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snak posted:

Except I was talking about an instance where he was using his katana in the real world. Which I should mention he does because he determined that katanas were BETTER THAN GUNS.
To be fair those guys were planning on lynching him. Neal's first 4 books are all pretty irreverent, they're not meant to be taken so seriously, they're supposed to be fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snak posted:

edit: to respond to your actual quote: NO! That's my point: Any writer can construct a situation where racists are persecuting a character of a specific race. It takes a special kind of writer to make the solution to that problem "I choose to draw my katana and cut off his head in a single motion". That's dumb as gently caress.
This is a parody of early Gibson type stuff, see also the first chapter of The Diamond Age.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've always blazed through Stephenson books but I'm still not finished with Reamde despite getting it on release day. I was going pretty fast until the apartment part, but everything slowed down when he went into all the little details of where everyone went from there. I'll probably try to wrap it up in the near future.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neal has a new book coming out in June, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O

amazon posted:

From bestselling author Neal Stephenson and critically acclaimed historical and contemporary commercial novelist Nicole Galland comes a captivating and complex near-future thriller combining history, science, magic, mystery, intrigue, and adventure that questions the very foundations of the modern world.

When Melisande Stokes, an expert in linguistics and languages, accidently meets military intelligence operator Tristan Lyons in a hallway at Harvard University, it is the beginning of a chain of events that will alter their lives and human history itself. The young man from a shadowy government entity approaches Mel, a low-level faculty member, with an incredible offer. The only condition: she must sign a nondisclosure agreement in return for the rather large sum of money.

Tristan needs Mel to translate some very old documents, which, if authentic, are earth-shattering. They prove that magic actually existed and was practiced for centuries. But the arrival of the scientific revolution and the Age of Enlightenment weakened its power and endangered its practitioners. Magic stopped working altogether in 1851, at the time of the Great Exhibition at London’s Crystal Palace—the world’s fair celebrating the rise of industrial technology and commerce. Something about the modern world "jams" the "frequencies" used by magic, and it’s up to Tristan to find out why.

And so the Department of Diachronic Operations—D.O.D.O. —gets cracking on its real mission: to develop a device that can bring magic back, and send Diachronic Operatives back in time to keep it alive . . . and meddle with a little history at the same time. But while Tristan and his expanding operation master the science and build the technology, they overlook the mercurial—and treacherous—nature of the human heart.

Written with the genius, complexity, and innovation that characterize all of Neal Stephenson’s work and steeped with the down-to-earth warmth and humor of Nicole Galland’s storytelling style, this exciting and vividly realized work of science fiction will make you believe in the impossible, and take you to places—and times—beyond imagining.

Sounds like a bit of a return to what his early pulpy books were like. He cowrote it with Nicole Galland who I didn't think I'd ever heard of before. Actually through some bizarre circumstances I sort of did know who she was because she played Ina Rece in Rebel Assault II, so she's probably doing a lot better than the vast majority of FMV game actors.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

The plot of Snowcrash can be described as "What if there was a computer virus that could only infect hackers :2bong:" so i'm inclined to give this one a try too.
It also might be the publisher dumbing things down to sell more books.

As for Nicole Galland it looks like she's only written original work, no licensed stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Halfway through Snow Crash for the first time and I can say its pretty good so far!

Which of his should I follow it up with /avoid like the plague?
The Diamond Age is similar in tone and was written next. Zodiac is similiarly pulpy and a lot of fun. The Big U was his first book and has some pronounced flaws but is ultimately still a lot of fun. After those the style he was writing in started changing. The newer stuff is still good but I wish he'd do something like his earlier books again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anathem is a pretty middling book for me. I like that a lot of it is a homage to A Canticle of Leibowitz, but the long explanations of some of the concepts made my eyes glaze over. Maybe I'd do better now that I'm not 19 anymore.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

And this wasn't a problem in other Stephenson novels?
There was a lot of math I didn't get at the time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So DODO. I recently got to the point where they go to the "Trapezoid". This would seem to suggest that this is a parallel dimension or strand from our own. Did I miss any other anachronisms to that point of the book?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

InvisiBill posted:

It becomes a minor point later on, but it's not explained how the "Trapezoid" becomes the "Pentagon", but it is mentioned. Once they start mucking around and changing strands, I don't think the characters have any real way to say what was original or changed, by themselves or any "opposition".
Ok.

I'm most of the way through now. I was a little wary at first but this has turned into the kind of fun pulpy insanity that I was hoping it would be. I'd heartily recommend this book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want a sequel now. I'm hoping they don't just cap things off with this DODO Files thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thranguy posted:

How much I like the ending of DODO depends a whole lot on whether I think the story is meant to be continued in another book or books by the same authors, another book or books by one of the two authors, another book or books by completely different authors, in an MMORPG that will be lucky to get into development hell let alone out of it, or not at all.

(Has anyone said, anywhere, which of these cases is likely?)
There's something called The DODO Files that's coming out on something called the Bound app. It's supposed to be short stories or something like that. I'd prefer it if they just wrote another bool.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

withak posted:

There might be a Snow Crash adaptation coming from Amazon next year:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-studios-lazarus-snow-crash-ringworld-1202576048/
There's a better chance of it being good than a SyFy Original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Microcline posted:

OK but how many pages does he go before talking about how cool samurai swords are? I think the current record is the Baroque Cycle which makes it around 1000 pages.
I don't think they get mentioned at all, or it's a real small one.

• Locked thread