Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I started with Snow Crash, read Cryptonomicon, and I'm a bit over halfway done with Quicksilver now.

I liked Cryptonomicon a lot, though as others said here I wasn't very invested in Randy's quest. I liked the characters and their interaction, but their end goal felt nebulous and odd. "We'll start our Bitcoin Haven, and then no one will use ethnic cleansing ever!". The whole thing with his 'antagonist' at the end just seems to fall from the sky for no reason, with all the grace or a hippo at an olympic diving event.

I like Quicksilver very much so far, as it alternates between funny, interesting and mind-boggling in a cool manner. But having read those, I started noticing some common threads in his books.

-If you're a human being, you better be a kicker of rear end and/or an engineer/scientist (of the HARD sciences), or go gently caress yourself. Everyone else is a useless waste of oxygen. Even worse if they try to voice any "opinions" on things.

-He has a definite conservative streak in the Burkean sense, that of "all systems that are stable have a degree of merit that might as well be moral". So religious people are better than atheists, because hey, their thing has been working for millenia and gives them useful values. Unless they are azteks, of course. Screw those guys. Good things they got wiped out! Luckily there was no bitcoin haven back then to save them.

It doesn't detract from enjoying his books, but it seems to be always there. It's like watching a Tarantino movie: you know there'll be foot fetish stuff at some point, but what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread