Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
When I was a teenager a girl I loved and I read through all of his books up to that point in tandem. I haven't seen her in 6 years and we are both happily living our separate lives, but whenever he writes a new book I buy it on release day, gift wrap it, and send it to her.

Sharing a good book with someone is one of life's finest pleasures. Neil Stephenson's writing attracts certain sorts of people, and I can confidently say I'd probably get along with anyone who Stephenson's writing clicks with.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
The protagonist of Anathem, without giving away any spoilers, is definitely not a hard science kind of guy. He is more interested in metaphysics most of the time.

Neil Stephenson writes about systems and his characters place in them. I don't think this is an inherent endorsement of the systems he is trying to depict. His protagonists and antagonists succeed or fail due to their understandings of the systems that surround them and they often spend large amounts of time trying and failing to comprehend the systems they are caught up in.

He doesn't have any problem with his characters criticizing or fighting against the systems in his books, but what he doesn't have time for is characters who whine about things but never do anything about it and flail around helplessly. His books are picaresque adventures, not soul searching tear jerkers.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
So I was reading some material on Islam and alchemy and I stumbled across the origins of Enoch Root.

Essentially the idea is that the prophets Enoch from the Bible, and Idris from the Quran, are both the head of the Hermetic cult Hermes Trismagistus, who was an amalgamation of the Egyptian god Thoth and the Greek god Hermes. So basically Enoch is the Egyptian god Thoth, he is immortal, and he is just spreading knowledge forever being a cool dude.

• Locked thread