Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Now I’m picturing Hootie being voiced by Danny DeVito

And written by Frank Miller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Dr. Strange #9: People keep trying to buy the Sanctum Sanctorum (and every other home/business around it) so they can build a big-rear end mall there. Doc keeps refusing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

As cool as that is, there's a bunch of people Dr Strange knows quite well who would be annoyed at him just dropping an interdimensional demon on the moon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

As cool as that is, there's a bunch of people Dr Strange knows quite well who would be annoyed at him just dropping an interdimensional demon on the moon.

At the point this was published, the X-Men hadn't moved in yet, the Inhumans were on Earth, and Uatu was dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

At the point this was published, the X-Men hadn't moved in yet, the Inhumans were on Earth, and Uatu was dead.

And Uatu had a kid and wife who theoretically still lived there.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Every kid needs a pet, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

If you go by the handful of Mark Gruenwald comics where Watchers actually got into something like a fight, they're more dangerous to any demon than it would be to them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Seems like the demon is frozen in the last panel, the Watcher family could use it as a lawn ornament.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

If you go by the handful of Mark Gruenwald comics where Watchers actually got into something like a fight, they're more dangerous to any demon than it would be to them.

If it came to it I'm pretty sure I could kill a crazed raccoon, doesn't mean I want an acquaintance dumping one on my front lawn.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cartoonist Kayfabe did an ep on all splash page comics and pretty much every page from Walt Simonson’s Thor issue belongs in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqiHavTFBCo

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Think I'm going to make Simonson's Thor my next Unlimited reread. It's been too long.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

If it came to it I'm pretty sure I could kill a crazed raccoon, doesn't mean I want an acquaintance dumping one on my front lawn.

i have my doubts about your raccoon killing abilities

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

In this scenario your front lawn is Asia (give or take a few million sq. km), you are the only person living in all of Asia, and one single raccoon was dropped off somewhere on the continent?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
It's the principal of the thing. It's just unneighborly.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Wizard Beach #1

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
May I Please Ask You Just One More Thing?

The setup:
A secret society of noblemen have been running a underground slave auction of demihumans for years.

When Scarlett, the crown prince's recently spurned fiancee, finds out about it, she is very very angry.

EDIT: fixed a timg

Squidster fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 13, 2020

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I never thought I'd see a fight scene with diegetic musical accompaniment in a silent manga.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
That's a pretty nicely choreographed fight scene but I can't find out much about the manga, what's the premise? Is it worth checking out?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

How Wonderful! posted:

That's a pretty nicely choreographed fight scene but I can't find out much about the manga, what's the premise? Is it worth checking out?

I think it’s basically that the lady loves to punch dudes and goes around finding dudes worth punching.

It’s making some waves in ADTRW but it’s only got around twelve chapters so far so I’d recommend sitting on it for a while. Scanlators have an unfortunate habit of dropping projects out of the blue and not saying if it’s because of the series being cancelled, on hiatus, or because the scanlator group has fallen apart, so you never know if the the promising new manga you’re reading will suddenly just stop updating

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

How Wonderful! posted:

It's a riff on the trendy Villainess Isekai genre. The noblewoman who torpedoed Scarlet's arranged marriage is a selfish jerk reincarnated from our world, and Scarlett is the antihero protagonist determined to put her in her place.

The art is gorgeous, but like thetoughestbean said, a lot of the draw is the simple catharsis of watching a furious woman laying a righteous beatdown on 1%er scumbags.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Squidster posted:

It's a riff on the trendy Villainess Isekai genre. The noblewoman who torpedoed Scarlet's arranged marriage is a selfish jerk reincarnated from our world, and Scarlett is the antihero protagonist determined to put her in her place.

The art is gorgeous, but like thetoughestbean said, a lot of the draw is the simple catharsis of watching a furious woman laying a righteous beatdown on 1%er scumbags.

This rules. These panels rule holy poo poo I'm laughing so hard.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Push El Burrito posted:

This rules. These panels rule holy poo poo I'm laughing so hard.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. Push El Burrito loved Anime

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Even if only a little bit ever comes out I'm going to read and cherish this manga about a princess physically destroying people. These panels rule, thank you for posting them.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Feng Shen Ji, a manhua exploring a very different take of the classic Chinese story The Investiture of the Gods.

Zi Yu, master swordsman and brother to the final emperor of the Shang dynasty, faces off against Shi Xing, Great God of the Ferocious Affiliation, one of the six strongest servants of and true son of TIAN, Ruler of the Gods, to protect the one family member he still has left and the protagonist of the story: Wu Geng.

The problem? Shi Xing is immortal (and very insane due to the curse that made him immortal), and no mortal weapon can harm him.

Fortunately, Zi Yu has two advantages: he's the strongest human to have lived, and he has mastery over the Smelting Aura technique, which allows practitioners to conjure specific items of their choosing. Zi Yu's item of choice? Swords.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Some very good stuff this page :golfclap:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Squidster posted:

Starting the week out on a real high note for panels, goddamn

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Verant posted:

Feng Shen Ji, a manhua exploring a very different take of the classic Chinese story The Investiture of the Gods.

Zi Yu, master swordsman and brother to the final emperor of the Shang dynasty, faces off against Shi Xing, Great God of the Ferocious Affiliation, one of the six strongest servants of and true son of TIAN, Ruler of the Gods, to protect the one family member he still has left and the protagonist of the story: Wu Geng.

The problem? Shi Xing is immortal (and very insane due to the curse that made him immortal), and no mortal weapon can harm him.

Fortunately, Zi Yu has two advantages: he's the strongest human to have lived, and he has mastery over the Smelting Aura technique, which allows practitioners to conjure specific items of their choosing. Zi Yu's item of choice? Swords.

Very nice art, but why did it work that time? Or am I just overthinking the bit?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Very nice art, but why did it work that time? Or am I just overthinking the bit?

I might be wrong but I read it as him creating the sword inside the guy. Or sort of passing it through him in an immaterial shape and then materializing it when it was already through him. I might be parsing the translucency in the earlier panels incorrectly though? One way or the other it is super pretty.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I actually read that manhua all the way to its finish a few years back at the recommendation of some people, and although I don't remember the fight clearly, I think sword guy was able to kill him despite his immortality either because he made a blade so sharp it could cut even concepts like immortality, or his pure fighting spirit was so strong that it burned the other guy to oblivion. By the way, sword dude's power comes from his crossing over into another dimension and learning the art of summoning swords out of nowhere from there, and later on they go back to that other world and it's probably the lamest the series ever got. Toward the end of the series sword guy only gets more awesome, to the point where I remember thinking why the gently caress the main character was the protagonist instead of him.

The only thing left I clearly remember from that comic is that the main villain is literally unbeatable. This isn't a situation where the villain seems unbeatable but he has this one weird weakness, no, the dude is straight up so much stronger than everyone else that he can't be defeated. The way the good guys win is they first take away his reason for living and then later on convince him to give up. But they never beat him in a straight up fight because they can't. There's even a small scene where he's at the weakest he's possibly ever been, facing down an army of badasses, and he says something to the effect of "I could still kill every single one of you, but gently caress it."

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Gologle posted:

I actually read that manhua all the way to its finish a few years back at the recommendation of some people, and although I don't remember the fight clearly, I think sword guy was able to kill him despite his immortality either because he made a blade so sharp it could cut even concepts like immortality, or his pure fighting spirit was so strong that it burned the other guy to oblivion.

More or less! He basically created a sword that destroys the energy that the gods run on, their Transcendent Vigour. The other swords weren't quite as powerful, but they're still strong enough weapons to break through that god's defenses.

Gologle posted:

The only thing left I clearly remember from that comic is that the main villain is literally unbeatable. This isn't a situation where the villain seems unbeatable but he has this one weird weakness, no, the dude is straight up so much stronger than everyone else that he can't be defeated.

Yep, TIAN is pretty much, bar none, the strongest existence in that story. Which makes this next pair of pages, where Zi Yu becomes the only human (since the protagonist is a demigod) to actually harm him, all the crazier:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Having physical superpowers is cool and all but the sheer confidence of being able to yell out something like SWORD AURA TRUE FLAME HEAVEN PIERCER unironically is a superpower unto itself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bro if I could summon an infinite number of swords out of thin air whenever I wanted I would be the cringiest motherfucker on this entire planet and nobody could stop me

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

When that guys visits the sword dimension again later it should just be totally empty. "Thanks for taking everything fucko"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Gologle posted:

Bro if I could summon an infinite number of swords out of thin air whenever I wanted I would be the cringiest motherfucker on this entire planet and nobody could stop me

It's only cringe if you can't back it up. Otherwise it's at worst a weird flex.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

This could have gone to the Funny Panels, but I decided it was better here..

Gee, I always wondered.. what if you gave someone other than Rex Tyler some Miraclo?

Context: Dr. Mid-Nite and Hourman are up against a minion of Stalker, an apocalyptic demi-god villiain.
Hooty, Dr. Mid-Nite's mascot, has attacked the minion, but he has the power of plagues and he blasts Hooty point blank.
Mid-Nite tries to think of a way to save his beloved pet, but Hourman offers a suggestion..

More of Dr. Mid-Nite and Hourman:

Starman #11

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gologle posted:

Buying groceries or even just opening doors would become wholly new experiences.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Buying groceries or even just opening doors would become wholly new experiences.

Definitely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoOzhlIymE&t=116s

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Batman #99

Joker War and Harley is sick of Batman's morales getting in the way of what needs to happen

Probably my one biggest issue with Marvel+DC as opposed to manga. It always returns to the status quo, no matter how much they hype the consequences.
So hopefully Harley's allowed to get on with it, because she legitimately has made great progress over the years towards anti-hero.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I like the idea that batman has become more attached to the joker than he is to the average Gothamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Infinitum posted:

So hopefully Harley's allowed to get on with it, because she legitimately has made great progress over the years towards anti-hero.

Harley has gone from cheesecake I could barely stand to one of my favorite characters in the DC universe.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I like the idea that batman has become more attached to the joker than he is to the average Gothamite.

I also like that more and more they explore the fallout everyone else has to suffer because of Batman's codependency with Joker. It's like they both can only define themselves with the other.