Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Is there any explanation on how Harley is a prisoner at Belle Reve w/the Suicide Squad and also everywhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

Is there any explanation on how Harley is a prisoner at Belle Reve w/the Suicide Squad and also everywhere else?

Originally Suicide Squad took play before her series, I believe, and now... kinda in between, I guess?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the current SS story has them going rogue but I'm not reading that book so I'm not quite up to speed

Dawgstar posted:

Originally Suicide Squad took play before her series, I believe, and now... kinda in between, I guess?

I think her solo series was pretty established as being its own continuity.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joe Fisto posted:

Same way Batman patrols Gotham city every night but also is in Metropolis helping Superman and also in space.

Or there are 3 Harleys

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s just a prelude to the next DC/Marvel Amalgam thing, it’ll turn out they’ve all been taking lessons from Wolverine on being everywhere, every single goddamn place, at once.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
There’s probably a decent one-off in a single character steadily going mad as they realize there are dozens of duplicates of every superhero running around, but no 2 are ever in the same location at the same time so nobody ever notices.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Retro Futurist posted:

Or there are 3 Harleys

Oh, so White Night, then. :v:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
No, that was only two Harleys.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Thaddius the Large posted:

There’s probably a decent one-off in a single character steadily going mad as they realize there are dozens of duplicates of every superhero running around, but no 2 are ever in the same location at the same time so nobody ever notices.

This is honestly a really cool story idea, it's something I could expect Morrison from the 90's to do in Animal Man or Doom Patrol.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s just a prelude to the next DC/Marvel Amalgam thing, it’ll turn out they’ve all been taking lessons from Wolverine on being everywhere, every single goddamn place, at once.

drat, what comic is it where he's talking to Spider-Man about all the teams he's on?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

10 Beers posted:

drat, what comic is it where he's talking to Spider-Man about all the teams he's on?

This old flash animation about Wolverine is pretty close.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gologle posted:

This is honestly a really cool story idea, it's something I could expect Morrison from the 90's to do in Animal Man or Doom Patrol.

It reminds me of the issue of Joe Kelly’s Justice League Elite that had Flash running between two teams faster and faster until he literally passes himself running the opposite way.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I like the idea that batman has become more attached to the joker than he is to the average Gothamite.

Proteus Jones posted:

I also like that more and more they explore the fallout everyone else has to suffer because of Batman's codependency with Joker. It's like they both can only define themselves with the other.

This isn't really accurate. Batman would have said the same thing about Scarecrow or Freeze or Bane, it's not about some attachment or codependency to Joker specifically, it's about him being literally unable to deviate from his moral code of letting anyone die. The only person he would actively let die is Ra's, and that's because he knows Ra's always comes back.

The Joker, on the other hand, absolutely is attached to Batman.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The point is, I think, he still needs to get the hell over himself and let someone else take care of Joker since he very clearly never will. Having a No Kill code is fine and, dare I say, even good, but it is actively getting in the way of justice here; Joker will never be rehabilitated, Joker will never stop killing people unless or until he is put in the ground himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh boy, another story about Batman not murdering the Joker that somehow revolves around the very specific idea that The Joker can't be contained by any prison on the planet but also death will permanently stop him. That is sure intelligent and hard-hitting commentary.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The point is, I think, he still needs to get the hell over himself and let someone else take care of Joker since he very clearly never will. Having a No Kill code is fine and, dare I say, even good, but it is actively getting in the way of justice here; Joker will never be rehabilitated, Joker will never stop killing people unless or until he is put in the ground himself.

This only works because of the stupid comic rule that prisons are all easily escapable and worthless. When you make it an actual part of your setting then the question should instead be "why isn't Batman investing in better security for Arkham?"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Infinitum posted:

Probably my one biggest issue with Marvel+DC as opposed to manga. It always returns to the status quo, no matter how much they hype the consequences.
So hopefully Harley's allowed to get on with it, because she legitimately has made great progress over the years towards anti-hero.

I'm probably in the minority here but this is legitimately my least favourite type of story for exactly this reason; we know nothing is going to change. Every year or two someone writes a big "No, [SUPER/BAT]man! This time you HAVE to kill him!" story where they lampshade and mock a very specific part of the industry and propose the killing of the bad guy. And we know that even if Joker, or Thanos, or Magneto gets killed they're going to come back. So I'd rather see a random writer celebrate that side of the industry, having fun with it Lego Batman or Ninja Batman style, rather than trying to hype up their latest "This time it's fo' real" moment.

Harley's growth is allowed by DC because it turns a minor asset into a major one. Killing the Joker removes a major asset. It will literally never, ever happen until the far off day when the Joker becomes unprofitable. Why even bother pretending it will? Just to validate a rote writer's unmemorable story?

quote:

Oh boy, another story about Batman not murdering the Joker that somehow revolves around the very specific idea that The Joker can't be contained by any prison on the planet but also death will permanently stop him. That is sure intelligent and hard-hitting commentary.

Oh good, it's not just me then.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 18, 2020

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ImpAtom posted:

the very specific idea that The Joker can't be contained by any prison on the planet but also death will permanently stop him.

I'm reminded of a discussion on Usenet back when Warren Ellis was fresh on Stormwatch.

Jack Hawksmoor killed Rose Tattoo, who had been described as "the spirit of murder".

When the Stormwatch characters became the Authority characters, they also became much, much more cinematically violent and brutal. This didn't quite fit with the earlier depictions of Hawksmoor.

someone asked "...what happens to the person who murders the spirit of murder?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

10 Beers posted:

There's this

Thats from Wolverine vol3 #73 according to the reddit post I stole it from.

Edit

Also this

Not sure on the source, probably whenever Thing joined The Avengers during Bendis' run.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 18, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don't forget you also need to include Batman realizing that he needs to lean on his family in order to succeed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This only works because of the stupid comic rule that prisons are all easily escapable and worthless. When you make it an actual part of your setting then the question should instead be "why isn't Batman investing in better security for Arkham?"

Look, complaining about the umpteenth time some mastermind takes over the city, orchestrates a dastardly plot that pushes Batman to the brink, only for him to relearn the value of friendship and rally with the help of his allies is like complaining about mutants being oppressed or cross over events, or the drat sun rising. It's the nature of the industry and the genre. Even when you change the status quo, it changes right back within a few years (See: Tim Drake)

Batman is not going to kill the joker (especially not considering what happened to the depressoversion that tried it). Harley might, but we all know that's not going to stick. The measure of these stories isn't how groundbreaking they are, it's for how well they execute it and how they stick their landing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Maybe they could set up some kind of phone number to call in and vote to decide the Joker's fate once and for all

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

There's this

It's from a Jason Aaron story and is really good. (He wrote a Spider-man/Wolverine series specifically from writing this story.)

I also just reized but the artwork of Wolverine flows from the day to day progression. It adds to the idea that Wolverine is just doing the same thing over and over again.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ImpAtom posted:

I love that this run of Batman starts with the reveal of Batman's super inescapable prison that he designed that immediately gets broken into and the prisoners escape from. :v:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He should cut off Joker's legs. Much less threatening, and doesn't break the rule on killing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Elfface posted:

He should cut off Joker's legs. Much less threatening, and doesn't break the rule on killing.

Just stab him with a special device that gives him a degenerative nerve condition that makes him like toddler strength and bad motor control. See how much killing and leading he gets done that way.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
If we start listing off weird ways to incapacitate the Joker this is gonna get real DeviantArt, real fast.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Just do 'Hannibal'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Look at the glass half full. If you kill Joker, obviously he's not gone forever. They will no doubt bring him back... but for now we get Ghost Joker.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nessus posted:

Look at the glass half full. If you kill Joker, obviously he's not gone forever. They will no doubt bring him back... but for now we get Ghost Joker.

I mean isn't this the plot of like the third Arkham game?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean isn't this the plot of like the third Arkham game?

Yeah Joker dies in City because of the Bane drug, batman had the cure but joker made him drop it accidentally by stabbing him, so he didnt even kill the joker. Then in Knight he gets dosed by Scarecrow and joker starts to show up to provide commentary on a really surprising amount of things, considering you can absolutely rush over to scarecrow questline, get the cure, and get him out of bats head and be joker free for 2/3rds of the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elfface posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of Jim Valentino's Shadowhawk who would break people's spines, although I guess would hit too close to home with Bruce.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Skwirl posted:

There's this

That's it, thanks!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Just stab him with a special device that gives him a degenerative nerve condition that makes him like toddler strength and bad motor control. See how much killing and leading he gets done that way.

The Prometheus method

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

If we start listing off weird ways to incapacitate the Joker this is gonna get real DeviantArt, real fast.

foreverially delitized joker, tied up and loving it

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Alaois posted:

foreverially delitized joker, tied up and loving it

Hook him up to those crystals that make his fingers grow real long.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

You'll get a second Joker who will name himself the Jokest.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

You'll get a second Joker who will name himself the Jokest.

Steel Joker, Cyborg Joker, Jokerboy and a fake Joker but who kidnapped and regenerated the real Joker to steal his power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Look, complaining about the umpteenth time some mastermind takes over the city, orchestrates a dastardly plot that pushes Batman to the brink, only for him to relearn the value of friendship and rally with the help of his allies is like complaining about mutants being oppressed or cross over events, or the drat sun rising. It's the nature of the industry and the genre. Even when you change the status quo, it changes right back within a few years (See: Tim Drake)

Batman is not going to kill the joker (especially not considering what happened to the depressoversion that tried it). Harley might, but we all know that's not going to stick. The measure of these stories isn't how groundbreaking they are, it's for how well they execute it and how they stick their landing.

I don't have an issue with the status quo. I have an issue with writers making meta stories about the status quo that only work as stories if they are ready as meta stories about the status quo but then try to make them reflect upon the actual character. It was something okay to do a couple of times but when ever other loving Joker story is "Why does Batman ALLOW the Joker to remain??" and the answer is always "because the Joker is marketable as gently caress and has an immense level of plot immunity which is also why Bane hasn't crushed his head into pulp."

You can't really write a story about the flaws in a character's morality when it comes to not killing when the entire concept is predicated on the idea that the characters have to accept the idea that the person they capture will always effortlessly escape from any situation while that is also not treated as a superpower or special ability. And you can't really add in the idea of death being a permanent way to stop a character when you are accepting the basic premise of 'they are too popular to stay locked up.'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 18, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The super-edgy anti-hero, The Woker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jank Jenshaw The Cyborg Joker