Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Vinland Saga

Backstory: Askeladd is the leader of a band of Vikings who have rescued/captured the prince and are trying to take him back to the king for a reward, but they're being chased by a another group of Vikings who are bigger, meaner, and tougher than they are. Askeladd's men decide to betray him and beg mercy from the other group.

It's manga so read right-to-left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gnome de plume posted:

America's rear end deserves better treatment than this
The state of Ohio absolutely does not.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
ZASH

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reading Blue Lock, cause I'm enjoying the anime.

It's basically Squid Game But Football.
Japan sets out to make the worlds best egotistical Striker, and puts 300 high school kids in a facility to go about creating it.
If you get eliminated you forfeit your right to ever compete in Football ever again.

Artwork loving rules. (2nd panel should read 'Your light')

Chapter 137

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Holy gently caress Do A Powerbomb might be my favourite comic ever. Spoilers for the FINAL ISSUE below.

For those who haven't been following along, that's a father/daughter tag team hitting their finisher on literal god.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Alacron posted:

Vinland Saga

Backstory: Askeladd is the leader of a band of Vikings who have rescued/captured the prince and are trying to take him back to the king for a reward, but they're being chased by a another group of Vikings who are bigger, meaner, and tougher than they are. Askeladd's men decide to betray him and beg mercy from the other group.

It's manga so read right-to-left

By way of explanation, Askeladd is Welsh. Obvious, really.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do you like The Boys?
Do you like Super Sentai?

What if we combined those and the Rangers are just straight up loving arseholes?

Behold Go! Go! Loser Ranger! / Sentai Daishikkaku

Which I just discovered via this trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQycYTWllI

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The appeal of The Boys is completely lost on me, but I'll give this a once-over.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Antony Starr’s performance is one to behold

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The issue with Sentai Daishikkaku is that the Sentai crew is sometimes slightly monstrous to people directly around them, but some of them are straight heroic, and the monsters are....still invading monsters. gently caress'em.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Yeah from what I've read, which granted isn't much, it's kind of a C-list Sentai parody. The jokes aren't quite jokey enough and the grim is a little too grim.

it ain't no sunred that's for drat sure

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Joe Fisto posted:

Antony Starr’s performance is one to behold

Jensen Ackles as Not Captain America is so goddamn good :discourse:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The appeal of The Boys is completely lost on me, but I'll give this a once-over.

The comic was considered pretty weak here, even on release back in the day, and the show isn't some unsung classic, but through a willingness to focus on the entertainment industry sleaze aspect and some strong casting choices they make it work quite well.

It helps a lot that overt real-life fascists in the last decade have made the otherwise very very tired idea of a dark, corrupted Superman feel topical and relevant.

I swear actually having read comics from the 80s-00s, watching manchildren and mental welterweights bug me about how "fresh" it is to see poo poo like Invincible, Brightburn, The Boys, BvS, gently caress even Eternals after a fashion, do the "oh so the traditional flying brick with laser eyes would actually be scary." I swear it's like living in a loving time warp.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 31, 2022

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The Boys' TV adaptation has also been taking the smart angle of explicitly tying it to the current political and cultural moment. The supes are wetwork political operatives as well as being entertainment product, and the show goes out of its way to implicate public demand -- the audience itself, really -- in the way things go wrong, instead of just depicting them as victims.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah being a super hero isn’t terribly important to what the boys is about. They could just be super powered CIA agents and it would be the same

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The Boys (the show) is good, because its main thesis is basically "Lex Luthor Is Right".

Even with a squeaky clean image, the existence of a Superman is the sociological equivalent of the Exxon-Valdez.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

Jensen Ackles as Not Captain America is so goddamn good :discourse:

His delivery of "Buddy, you're wearing a cape" is so good.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Do you like The Boys?
Do you like Super Sentai?

What if we combined those and the Rangers are just straight up loving arseholes?

Behold Go! Go! Loser Ranger! / Sentai Daishikkaku

Which I just discovered via this trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQycYTWllI

I really, really hope Steven Kostanski gets to make a sequel to Psycho Goreman with an rear end in a top hat Ranger squad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Both from Action Comics #1050

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is Superman Goku now?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No, he can just beat Goku. :smuggo:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The Boys (the show) is good, because its main thesis is basically "Lex Luthor Is Right".

Even with a squeaky clean image, the existence of a Superman is the sociological equivalent of the Exxon-Valdez.
And Luthor isn’t?: :abrathink:

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

mind the walrus posted:

The comic was considered pretty weak here, even on release back in the day, and the show isn't some unsung classic, but through a willingness to focus on the entertainment industry sleaze aspect and some strong casting choices they make it work quite well.

It helps a lot that overt real-life fascists in the last decade have made the otherwise very very tired idea of a dark, corrupted Superman feel topical and relevant.

I swear actually having read comics from the 80s-00s, watching manchildren and mental welterweights bug me about how "fresh" it is to see poo poo like Invincible, Brightburn, The Boys, BvS, gently caress even Eternals after a fashion, do the "oh so the traditional flying brick with laser eyes would actually be scary." I swear it's like living in a loving time warp.

I liked The Boys better in 1989 when it was called Marshal Law.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dawgstar posted:

No, he can just beat Goku. :smuggo:

So we're back to the cosmically-powered pre-Crisis Superman, huh..

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles : The Armageddon Game - The Alliance

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Luthor is just as much a turd in the sociological punch bowl as Supes. More so, I would argue. "I do not understand you and you do not use your powers the way I would if I had them, therefore you are hiding something and dangerous."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Luthor is just as much a turd in the sociological punch bowl as Supes. More so, I would argue. "I do not understand you and you do not use your powers the way I would if I had them, therefore you are hiding something and dangerous."
I think the real tragedy of Luthor is that if he cooperated, they would have been the real World's Finest Team, and Luthor's vast talents could have gone into doing all that poo poo people wish Reed Richards would do. Superman would even doubtless be fine with Luthor taking point and having the glory.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

10,000% this. Luthor is just a jealous little poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I think the real tragedy of Luthor is that if he cooperated, they would have been the real World's Finest Team, and Luthor's vast talents could have gone into doing all that poo poo people wish Reed Richards would do. Superman would even doubtless be fine with Luthor taking point and having the glory.

To quote Superman, "if it had mattered to you Luthor, you could have saved the world years ago"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Luthor really does embody the projection ("obviously he's just virtue signalling because he harbors darker motives just like the rest of us"), zero-sum thinking ("his very existence diminishes me"), and grievance culture ("he's getting in the way of my greatness") of the modern right wing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Luthor really does embody the projection ("obviously he's just virtue signalling because he harbors darker motives just like the rest of us"), zero-sum thinking ("his very existence diminishes me"), and grievance culture ("he's getting in the way of my greatness") of the modern right wing.

Agreed, I think writers sometimes look too for the WELL ACTUALLY THE GOOD IS ACTUALLY BAD BECAUSE thing because the powerful people around us, even if they do something good, feels like there is an ulterior motive behind it.

Didn't Spider-Man also callout Green Goblin for the same thing when Norman said Peter wasted his talents and is lazy? Peter points out that GG/Norman could of solved cancer by now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Peter points out that GG/Norman could of solved cancer by now.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Reposted from the funny pictures thread:

SimonChris posted:

Superman #2 (1987)

CLICK! WHIRR! CLACK! Ah, the 80's.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is as good a place to bring it up as any, but I always found that Millar going "Norman was always super evil and becoming the Goblin just made him crazy" resulted in him being a lot more generic than he had been previously. It's been kind of salvaged since then by making it so that Norman has all these ambitions of greatness with the Goblin persona acting like an impulse-driven roadblock to his greater aspirations, but at the time I thought it was pretty lame

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

OnimaruXLR posted:

Norman has all these ambitions of greatness with the Goblin persona acting like an impulse-driven roadblock to his greater aspirations

Yep, as with Luthor's obsession with Superman, they blame Spider-Man/Superman for getting in the way of their ambitions, it's actually the obsession with them that's getting in their own way (or allowing them to divert attention away from their own shortcomings). Again, like the MAGA movement.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Osborn may not have been super evil but he was never good. He was a wealthy industrialist who by his own admission screwed over Mendell Stromm and sent him to prison. Dude was ruining lives for his own ambition before the Goblin accident happened.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
No Norman (GG) vs Parker (SM) is a classic retelling of inter generational conflict with a wealthy old guy feeling threatened by an up and coming youth. While his forward facing persona is cordial to the youth his inner envy and greed (green goblin a bit on the nose) strives to destroy this perceived threat and in doing so becomes defined by his deficiencies.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is why Doc Ock is the better villain because he's the dark reflection of Peter. A science nerd weakling who was given power through accident and went on a different path where he instead just did octopus themed crimes like robbing an ink store or stealing 8 cars.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

This is why Doc Ock is the better villain because he's the dark reflection of Peter. A science nerd weakling who was given power through accident and went on a different path where he instead just did octopus themed crimes like robbing an ink store or stealing 8 cars.

And he did the Drax thing originally, being like "You can't even see me, for just like the octopus I have expertly camouflaged myself" (actually he's impossible to miss because sun is reflecting so bad off his chrome tentacles everyone is walking by flipping him the bird like a driver with their high beams on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Suleman posted:

Source: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles : The Armageddon Game - The Alliance

Gah, I am so behind on my TMNT reading and this makes me want to catch up.