Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BioTech posted:

Moon Knight doesn't bother to dodge punches, he just gets hit.
Copying his fighting style means Taskmaster gets hurt and he doesn't like that.

So Taskmaster is like a blank VHS that records over whatever he saw last with whatever's in front of him? That's not a bad angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

mind the walrus posted:

So Taskmaster is like a blank VHS that records over whatever he saw last with whatever's in front of him? That's not a bad angle.

Yeah basically. It works against him too, he tried copying that one guy who dodges via literal cartoon physics once and broke his own back because he is himself not a cartoon.
It's also giving him Super-Alzheimer's, iirc, because neurons aren't meant to be used like rewritable media

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 2, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I see it more like Taskmaster has all of these copied fighting styles that he can pull out whenever he wants to go up against any good fighter but when he goes up against someone new who's just as good as anyone else in his repertoire he will copy them and fight fire with fire. That doesn't really work with Moon Knight because Taskmaster hates fighting like that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Taskmaster is still one of my all time favorites. He's got an interesting powerset, but it effects his personal life (No short term memories IIRC). He's a villain, but not a super villain. He's not in the game to rule or conquer, he's just in it to make a quick buck. He's kind of a Venture Brothers concept, brought to the "reality" of comic books.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Taskmaster rules

Agent X - #5

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You'd think he'd have seen enough people fighting regenerators to have a basic plan for people who don't respect incoming damage. He knows the mutants.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Sounds like he has a basic plan for that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Don't fight him in the first place" *is* a plan :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah basically. It works against him too, he tried copying that one guy who dodges via literal cartoon physics once and broke his own back because he is himself not a cartoon.
It's also giving him Super-Alzheimer's, iirc, because neurons aren't meant to be used like rewritable media

Interesting evolution of him over the usual schtick

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Infinitum posted:

Taskmaster rules

Agent X - #5

That rules, and proves the early 2000s will always be excellent! I just added the Udon Taskmaster mini-series to my read list too, had forgotten about that. Digging their Street Fighter stuff lately. Agent X is rad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

That rules, and proves the early 2000s will always be excellent! I just added the Udon Taskmaster mini-series to my read list too, had forgotten about that. Digging their Street Fighter stuff lately. Agent X is rad.

That era is near impossible to sell people on. It was at the time, and it hasn't gotten easier. It's sad because it objectively kicks a lot of rear end.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Taskmaster owns and I'm sad that the MCU version is a mute traumatised assassin.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Agent X was so good.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It drat well was, I loved those early 2000's, tons of poo poo but some incredible work was in there. I mean poo poo, even if you hate Ennis he was even putting out some killers. Hitman was a stunning run, brute or no as far as it comes to current opinion, it had some incredible bits to it and damned if I could get someone to dive in now.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

That era is near impossible to sell people on.

Is it? I point people to Udon's Street Fighter stuff all the time. There's also stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man, stuff like Preacher. There's a ton of stuff all over the accessibility spectrum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Is it? I point people to Udon's Street Fighter stuff all the time. There's also stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man, stuff like Preacher. There's a ton of stuff all over the accessibility spectrum.

I would go to a pizza place to watch sports after work and there was one comic book guy who worked there and he got someone else who worked there to read Preacher and pretty soon everyone who worked there was borrowing his Preacher books, like there was a signup sheet of who gets to borrow the next Preacher trade.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Preacher is like 10 years before the Udon stuff and Ult. Spider-Man, and yeah kind-of is. You know why too.

Fact is people mostly just want a communal experience they can get behind that they don't totally hate, like with Skwirl's example, where they can honk lines and have a shared bonding affirmation. The actual "what" is pretty immaterial as long as it doesn't go too far off of what people already know/like, and yeah Udon's stuff was a hard sell 2 decades ago when anime aesthetic was a lot less normalized by grown adults (for better and for worse) and a lot harder now because no one outside of turbodorks give a gently caress about what comics were cult hits nearly a quarter century ago.

By all means have the can-do spirit about it, but in real terms if you've got the sales chops to pitch someone on that you're better off selling things that net you an actual paycheck.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Taskmaster owns and I'm sad that the MCU version is a mute traumatised assassin.

Hopefully 5 years is enough time to get therapy and a personality

the photographic reflexes also work outside of combat, he can whip up any dish he saw on a cooking show.

also I liked the Udon era mask and outfit

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I forget but didn't get a bit obsessed with beating Spider-Man for awhile and thinks he understands Spider-Man's fighting style but gets chumped because Spidey's fighting style is semi-random due to his spider sense.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Gnome de plume posted:

Hopefully 5 years is enough time to get therapy and a personality

the photographic reflexes also work outside of combat, he can whip up any dish he saw on a cooking show.

also I liked the Udon era mask and outfit

Not for nothing, but he's also an internationally ranked competitive ballroom dancer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's one thing to learn the moves and routines but you don't get to that level of dancing unless you possess the passion.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kid in the following is Butterball. He's effectively invulnerable with unlimited stamina, but his powers activated 'locking' him in his current state.
He's fat and unfit and no matter how much he trains will never get better than he is now.

Flunks out of the Avengers Initiative and gets sent home

Taskmaster, the Jobber with a heart of gold :allears:

Hopefully we get chatty Taskmaster in the upcoming Thunderbolts movie, cause gently caress me they were terrible in Black Widow

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I appreciate the swing to "Remember a Taskmaster" posting. A guy who I only slightly know but seems to have a pretty neat gimmick.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Moon Knight #18: MK and Tigra just crashed a party hosted by a bunch of vampires

Taking a page from the Keanu Reeves Constantine playbook

The best way to deal with Marvel vampires is to cheat. Which is a Pete Wisdom specialty.

He will, for example, carpet-bomb you with holy water.

Captain Britain and MI13 #13

Or figure out a way that you're just plain not invited.

Captain Britain and MI13 #15

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
ATTENTION PLEASE

THANK YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That is a great cover.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I know I shouldn’t care about realism but Ironheart’s pose seems not very doable if her only propulsion is from her feet.

Extremely cute cover, I just have brainworms

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

propulsion isn't from her feet, it's from the big honkin jetpack on the middle of her torso with a huge plume of fire shooting out of it, get your eyes checked

oh derp :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 19, 2023

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That’s not who Ironheart is, dog. Cmon.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

glanced over and misread, oops

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Originally posted in the funny panels thread by accident, meant to post these here.

Source: Fantastic Four (2022) #5

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's Ryan North on the script, right?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

That's Ryan North on the script, right?

Yep, and lineart by Ivan Fiorelli, colors by Jesus Aburtov.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

If you haven’t been reading Ryan North’s Fantastic Four, you’ve really been missing out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kill Six Billion Demons

Allison, the protagonist, has Been Through Some poo poo. She's down an arm and a leg and an eye, practically all of her friends are very dead, she's been convalescing for three years. It's time to get back into fighting form, and so she has sought out a master to train her:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Flesh Forge forgot the real badass panel:

I had been thinking of posting all the times Allison had gotten kicked in the face in this comic to this thread, and since Flesh Forge got us started...

Back before she'd lost an arm and a leg:

And back when she was in the Tournament Arc:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

She takes a kick to the face like a champ.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She does have a god key in her forehead. It's a very sturdy face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe I should get back into KSBD. When I first started reading, the lore felt overwhelming. Often felt like I didn't have much grasp of what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Lobok posted:

Maybe I should get back into KSBD. When I first started reading, the lore felt overwhelming. Often felt like I didn't have much grasp of what was going on.

Book 1 is very much intentionally like that, to reflect Allison being in way over her head. It levels off in Book 2 and after.