Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

From House of X #4

This issue of HOX was awesome throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Infinitum posted:

Aren't mutants functionally immortal at this point?

Why the 'heroic sacrifice' spiel?

Yeah as has been said, we didn't know about Krakoa having a resurrection chamber until after this issue. So it was a bit of a shock seeing a bunch of X-Men going on a suicide mission to take out Mother Mold.

It did however at the time raise ques tr ions of "you are going into space to fight Sentinels. Why not take guys like Magneto or Magik or others whose powers are designed for a mission like this?"

Still a great set of panels.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
And I mean even if you get to come back, dying via sun incineration probably still hurts like a bitch

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i havent actually kept up with xmen since those minis, how does krakoas cloning stuff work with logans adamantium

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

i havent actually kept up with xmen since those minis, how does krakoas cloning stuff work with logans adamantium

It's brought back when the husk/body is being remade since it's less of a simply organic process and more of a combination of organic (Fabio) + reality warping (Proteus).

I think Hickman was asked this on twitter and his answer was "yeah it just works"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why doesnt every mutant have an adamantium skeleton now then

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

This is kinda what happens in the Power of X future storyline where mutants "evolve" into chimeras of various mutants in order to have a chance of surviving.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

site posted:

Because adamantium is toxic and if you don't have a healing factor it kills you.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

site posted:

Why doesn't Tony give every Avenger a suit made out of the nanites/liquid metal or whatever his current suit is?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

because he's a cheap bastard

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fuego Fish posted:

Because adamantium is toxic and if you don't have a healing factor it kills you.

couldnt they just reality warp that away

MH Knights posted:

Why doesn't Tony give every Avenger a suit made out of the nanites/liquid metal or whatever his current suit is?

tony is a narcissist who doesnt want people stealing his thunder

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
They sort of touch on that, they're trying to figure out how to deal with "mutant wills" where people want to be resurrected with differences from their old bodies. What if somebody wants to come back with Magneto's powers? What if somebody schlubby wants to come back with a real hot Havok bod? What if a Morlock wants to lose their conspicuous Morlock features? The issue has been kicked up ahead for now (and I think it raises issues about gender identity too that I am not 100% I trust Marvel with) but it has been raised.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

site posted:

tony is a narcissist who doesnt want people stealing his thunder

This falls apart for every single super scientist in comics. . Why doesn't Pym give everyone the ability to change size, why doesn't reed give other heroes access to his incredible tech, etc. It's not limited to Tony.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, pyms dead/now ultron and off planet, and multiple people do use pym particles. and reed is also a narcissist

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

site posted:

i mean, pyms dead/now ultron and off planet, and multiple people do use pym particles. and reed is also a narcissist

Maybe they're insanely bad at user-interface design, and anybody who tries to use their stuff melts their own face by accident.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
reed has seemingly built stuff designed specifically to be used in conjunction with his stretchy powers so thats not necessarily a bad assumption there

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is kinda what happens in the Power of X future storyline where mutants "evolve" into chimeras of various mutants in order to have a chance of surviving.

That's even less what evolution is than the normal stupid bullshit X-Men talks about being evolution. I'm almost impressed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mulva posted:

That's even less what evolution is than the normal stupid bullshit X-Men talks about being evolution. I'm almost impressed.

they don't evolve, they're genetically engineered by Mr. Sinister

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Greg Rucka posted:

Also please note the placement of the beer bottle.

I once was at a show where I asked Esad about this cover.

Esad is a big, cheerful, man with a wicked sense of humor.

He just looked at me.

And then he smiled.

And the smile got bigger.

And bigger.

And he said, “And nobody at Marvel noticed!”

And then he couldn’t stop laughing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Bless this dude.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Which reminds me, buy his book, which is basically just fuel for this thread:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
See also:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I didn't catch the beer bottle at first glance because I guess I'm not all that gay after all but wow how do you not notice Nightcrawler's tail :stare:

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

How Wonderful! posted:

They sort of touch on that, they're trying to figure out how to deal with "mutant wills" where people want to be resurrected with differences from their old bodies. What if somebody wants to come back with Magneto's powers? What if somebody schlubby wants to come back with a real hot Havok bod? What if a Morlock wants to lose their conspicuous Morlock features? The issue has been kicked up ahead for now (and I think it raises issues about gender identity too that I am not 100% I trust Marvel with) but it has been raised.

I don't really keep up with X-stuff but "let's canonize resurrection and ask tricky questions" sounds rad. Is this worth picking up and if so, where should I start?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Important question: Is that sentinel there to destroy the sun because of what Cyclops did when they first fought Sentinels?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhaka posted:

I don't really keep up with X-stuff but "let's canonize resurrection and ask tricky questions" sounds rad. Is this worth picking up and if so, where should I start?

House of X / Powers of X (read house of X / powers of ten) are the min-series that kick off the new line-wide story for all mutant related books. Like earlier Hickman books, they alternate in reading order.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Merci

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's my favorite Hickman thing I've ever read so far, I think.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

site posted:

X-Force is a pretty garbage book tbh but it gives an answer:

Forge has literal pools of adamantium ready to infuse Logan clones with per Xavier's orders. No idea if that's before/after they put Logan's brain back in the clone... feels cruel to do it after tbh.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

prefect posted:

Maybe they're insanely bad at user-interface design, and anybody who tries to use their stuff melts their own face by accident.

Canonically, this is exactly what happens with Reed's tech, yes. At one point the FF lose the rights to their stuff (except Ben), and unstable molecules get licensed out to another company. It ends in a grey goo scenario that Reed has to fix, because Reed has a penchant for messing with "THINGS MAN WAS NOT MEANT TO MESS".

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Elfface posted:

Important question: Is that sentinel there to destroy the sun because of what Cyclops did when they first fought Sentinels?

no it's there because it's using the sun as a power source and hiding in the corona at the same time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

X-Force is a pretty garbage book tbh but it gives an answer:

Forge has literal pools of adamantium ready to infuse Logan clones with per Xavier's orders. No idea if that's before/after they put Logan's brain back in the clone... feels cruel to do it after tbh.

In that same issue it's made clear that it's done with Wolverine's understanding and permission and he has his own ideas about other modifications.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The part of Orchis I like is they just repurposed one of Tony Stark's superweapons he had lying around, in this case an orbital attack satellite. Tony Stark, a man who just can't stop making superweapons.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

In that same issue it's made clear that it's done with Wolverine's understanding and permission and he has his own ideas about other modifications.

"What if we made the claws, youknow, hot? Bub."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gologle posted:

The part of Orchis I like is they just repurposed one of Tony Stark's superweapons he had lying around, in this case an orbital attack satellite. Tony Stark, a man who just can't stop making superweapons.

The part I liked more is that Reed and Tony were both smart enough to will all their superweapons to the other, but not smart enough to think what happens if they both die/disappear/whatever.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Valeria becomes the new ruler of Latveria is what happens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elfface posted:

Valeria becomes the new ruler of Latveria is what happens.

She was missing along with her father at the time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Did it even need an explanation? Isn't Proteus reality warping the balls in order the res the person? I know he doesn't handle metal well but they've still shown him warping it before.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't Proteus reality warping the balls in order the res the person?

sounds like thatd be bad for the health of your sperm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did it even need an explanation? Isn't Proteus reality warping the balls in order the res the person? I know he doesn't handle metal well but they've still shown him warping it before.

Adamantite is stored in the balls