Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn't it also a thing that fire made martians want to get mad rutty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
From what I've seen the Injustice run is the loving badassest thing ever.
While the actual game blows loads.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Nope. I'm glad Academy and this new Batgirl are there, but they really are not anything I can drum up enthusiasm for outside of bringing in new fans. I am a bit miffed that, without the anime poo poo and if the hipster poo poo was toned down a bit, there's no reason this couldn't have been a Stephanie Brown Batgirl, but that's more of a problem I have with the overall nu52. I was just kind of hopeful that with Wonder Woman and Red Lanterns ending, these new bat books would keep me reading some non-Vertigo DC.

I kinda agree with you. It feels very twee. I guess it's just not for me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So you basically shouldn't play pool with Summers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Colleen Coover is good at drawings.

Not if you have to use sound effects that literally express what the character is doing.
And it's weird because if you removed the sound effects the art is still dynamic enough to convey what the character is doing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Uthor posted:

Scrooge was kind to a stranger and the dude robbed him, leaving him stranded in the plains of Africa.

:clint:

Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck #6

mcduck_demolishing_steamboat.jpg

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Does anybody have those pages where, I think, Thor after being abandoned by the hammer is fighting this badass hopeless battle to the death and he's all like no I'm not givingeth up and it just cuts to the hammer flying to him because him standing up to impossible odds meant he was a monumental badass and worthy of wielding Mjolnir?

EDIT: I think he was with Lady Thor actually and he absent-mindedly picks up Mjolnir without even realizing it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are you thinking of the recent Beyonder fight? That's his hopeless battle to the death, but instead of Mjolnir working, his UNworthy hammer stops working.

New Avengers #32

Yes, thank you. My memory was REALLY cloudy on the details, wow.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So Thor sent out his hammer into outer space, into a sun to superheat it, then reach relativistic velocities only to kill one guy.
And he still caught Mjolnir on the way out bare-loving-handed.
Why are there still Christians and Buddhists and stuff in the Marvel universe?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Uthor posted:

Casandra Nova tried to convince Storm to turn her back on the X-Men and join Casandra's side. She did this by trapping Storm in a claustrophobic space. This is Storm's answer.

X-Men '92 #3

This happened every other episode of the 90's cartoon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The art in that is incredible.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I can never read any of Darth Vader's dialogue in Darth Vader's voice. It just doesn't sound like something he'd say, at least to me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

At least it let JMS do his own May finding out story which was also really good.

While the story was really good, I still prefer the version where Aunt May always knew, because despite the fact that it clashes with some of her characterization on hating that hoodlum Spider-Man, it gives more credit to the character recognizing and coming to terms that her son bravely risks his life every day both from a sense of responsibility and of in a way apologizing for Ben's murder.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wanderer posted:

It's not an accident that the most fondly remembered Hank Pym moments are the ones where he leans into being a complete hot mess of a human being.

There's a quote about Hank Pym and his most famous punch, but I'll be damned about remembering enough of it to even paraphrase it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

There's this, but not sure that's the one you're thinking of.

This was exactly it, drat. Was it ever expressed this way in any comic book ever?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like how Spidey evolve from having his quips being something interesting and cathartic to read while he beat on somebody, to having his quips be a legit part of his fighting style to taunt, confuse, irritate and throw off balance his opponents

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Presenting the most badass thing in House of M:

Wasn't it canon by then that Cap decapitated Baron Zemo with his shield?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Those actions are poorly conveyed

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It bugs me that apparently a toothpick being driven into wood makes the same sound reserved for say, a door shutting down quickly and violently or somebody being hit by something thrown by the Hulk.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Have you ever stabbed a tiny tree-man into Yggdrasil, the world tree? How do you know what sound it makes?

I would hope it would sound more impressive than somebody dropping a toilet seat quickly or putting down a briefcase hard on a table

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There was a time years ago when Phantom was absolutely amazing. It was a storyline where the Phantom thought his wife Diana was dead, but she had really been languishing in a Rhodesian Rhodian prison thanks to his archnemesis. It was really stretched out, but it was both nerve-wracking and cathartic to watch it unfold.

Selected comic strips:

Savarna was the stand-out of that particular story arc
Also the Phantom getting so loving mad at Python taunting him over the phone he punches a wall so hard it cracks the entire goddamn thing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is future quest as violent as any of the Johnny Quest shows were

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So do you suppose his skin sounded like a very tense rubber band snapping when his face reformed over his skull into place or was it a soft schlurping sound

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Avulsion posted:

Probably a slurp. In the second to last panel you can see it just hanging loose.

Yeah I noticed it just now upon a reread
Ok so did it sound like a soft wet slurp or like a very noisy zipper

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

On the subject of manga...

From Golden Kamui

On its own this is badass but knowing more about Professor Penis makes it way better

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Ya. If you want clearly communicated Badass manga panels, it looks more like this (Read Right to Left, ofc):

Um, are you sure

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
"Athanasia"?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also that one time he beat Flamelord or whatever that one guy's name is, who is a herald of Galactus and hence a Big loving Deal

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Glagha posted:

You know there were just a bunch of pages posted of spiderman being good at everything and everyone being amazed at how cool and awesome he is and he's also funny and poo poo talks everyone all the time. If he was anyone other than spiderman he'd be insufferable.

He's tempered with Parker having the worst loving luck and most of the time barely scraping by with the skin of his teeth so the writers being given permission to have him cut loose and indulge in Spidey kicking loving rear end is always welcomed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It don't matter what power level you find yourself in, you show Spider-Man some goddamn respect

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Amazing Spider-man 33

This sequence is fantastic and I think it's only ever been homaged in one other thing, Batman Beyond of all things

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Vi vaporú

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also every character is fantastic and the moment Dungeons & Dinners stopped being posted in the good webcomic thread was a sad one

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Pretend I posted the panels where Silver Surfer rebels against and fight Galactus and is then stripped of his powers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ecavalli posted:

Smash and smack are established onomatopoeia. Lean is not. What sound even is that?

High pitched but slow violin scratch, you know the one

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

prefect posted:

Good for MarcStevenJake. It's nice to see him handling his brain problems. :3:

By saying nu huh and then crushing its skull like we all do

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What happens if he drinks a meal replacement shake

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
There's a lot more cultural context for Cap than for shonen manga man no. gajillion though

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If the movie ends with the heroes physically defeating Thanos instead of either out-philosophizing him or him very obviously sabotaging himself, the entire MCU is a massive failure.

Nah, it'll end with one of the 'vengers flying into a giant blue space laser. It's the only way to take him out, Cap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Thank the Maker" from Star Wars Tales #6 all the way back in the year 2000.

Here's the page in question if anyone hasn't seen it:

God that is so stupid and not at all conveying what the artist and author are trying to convey