Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love how painfully 90s that art is even though it came out in like 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a fill-in? Wow. Impressive stuff.

That page is a lot better than the whole "doge meme" panel. I don't care that she's a dorky teenager it's not fun to read.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thanks CharlestheHammer, you pretty much made my point for me.

Superstring posted:

The Ms. Marvel fill-in is by Jake Wyatt. He's had pages from his upcoming (this year maybe?) comic Necropolis floating around which has made an appearance either in this thread or the previous.

Ooh, pretty.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fumaofthelake posted:

Since people keep talking about that Quicksilver scene I'll throw in that the best part is the following page where Hawkeye is like "Hey Pietro, what are you standing around for, help me out you lazy butt." and Quicksilver just looks at him, sweat dripping from his face, with this great exasperated look.

Doesn't matter what universe it is, that's probably the most "Quicksilver" panel I can think of.

Nah, most Quicksilver page ever is the PMS scene from X-Factor. Full stop.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I loved how he tried to make the X-Men a superhero Peace Corps. given how wide and varied their roster was by the early 00s. Of course that was backpedaled quite hard literally the issues after his run finished and totally demolished with House of M, but at the time I recall thinking it was a really novel idea that should have been done years ago.

I also maintain the dayglo leather jackets with the yellow X motif are the best uniforms the X-Men have ever had and ever will have, simply because it never has and never will make sense for them to dress like carnival freaks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

More during Morrison's run. During Cassandra Nova's attack on Genosha you see Mags before the giant gently caress-off Sentinel hits and he's counted among the dead all the way up until the X'orn reveal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wouldn't know, Morrison's X-Men was honestly my first X-Men comic because--no joke--as a kid all the insanely colorful and busy 90s art confused the gently caress out of me every time I looked at it. Frank Quitely's simple compositions were the first time I ever felt I could visually understand an X-book. Anything that happened in the 90s is something I've learned after the fact and aside from Scott being possessed by Apocalypse and some messiah bullshit with Cable I don't know what the gently caress was going on immediately prior to Morrison's run.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IUG posted:

Okay, I read that post as "she doesn't de-hulk often because she's already her ideal", meaning the 7 foot tall version of her with green skin was her Hulk form. I thought that implied there was a Banner form with normal skin tone.

There is, she just rarely if ever returns to it. It was actually really progressive for the 80s when Reed Richards told her she could never return to her "normal" form again--she eventually could again, of course--and her reaction was simply "so?"

It's three stages:

1. Regular Jennifer Walters

2. Jennifer Walters as She-Hulk

3. Hulked-out She-Hulk.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's so lame. Is every character on the roster going to no-sell the penance stare through technicalities? It's supposed to make you feel the weight of your sins, you're not supposed to be able to wiggle out of it due to your mindset.

:qq: But what about the BADASS :qq:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

At least a couple over the years. You don't go around spraying autos and semi-autos without picking at least one "oopsie" daisy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:qq: B-b-b-b-b-b-but the Joker is the ultimate badass he'd never get terrified Heath Ledger would never get terrified :qq:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That comic written by Max Landis has Nu52 Superman meeting Joker for the first time and basically totally emasculating the Joker's schtick via polite indifference. It was really refreshing to see.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know, I know, but Landis actually seems to have a pretty good grasp on these characters. Even a broken clock and all that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Odds are they got 'em and never even considered running 'em. You know how it is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nyeehg posted:

Forgive my ignorance but what's up with Max Landis? All I know about him is that he wrote the screenplay for the film Chronicle. Is his other work garbadge? Is he a jerk? What?

I personally don't have a problem with the guy, like, at all beyond maybe those unsubstantiated rumors and the usual twinge of jealousy I get when I see someone who is truly truly privileged, but some people really flat-out hate the guy.

People give him a lot of poo poo for being John Landis' son-- he's a clear son of privilege, John Landis is a monster, etc. etc. etc.

Then there's the fact that in his video presentations he comes across both as a smug Hollywood princeling (cause he almost unquestionably is) who can make literal :goonsay: videos guest-starring Elijah Wood and Ron Howard, has a very cocksure demeanor that indicates someone whose capacity to sound right far exceeds their capacity to be right, talks about superheroes which just plain pisses some people off, and there are unsubstantiated (to my knowledge) rumors that he does lovely PUA things at bars with no success and has some sexist/"nice guy"/MRA/what have you views.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It wouldn't shock me in the least and I'd love to hear them. The kid definitely seems like he could be a real shitheel. I just give him the benefit of the doubt because for whatever reason he doesn't automatically piss me off.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it's the writing of the Joker character that's out of touch. Completely explaining his entire inconsistency schtick, not having a fallback, "why are you laughing", is just a strawman editorial version of the Joker for Superman to rip on.

Considering how blindly often the Joker is shown to be an ultimate badass with a quip and a plan for every little occurrence and who is nigh-untouchable until it comes time for his BDSM-beatdown by Batman, I think having one notable exception to the rule is ok.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cable is like just about every other X-Treme X-character created between 88 and 2001-- he only became tolerable after years of re-writes and storyarcs that placed him out of the central spotlight and into a more tolerable tertiary role.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock fights really are in the AAA tier of superhero match-ups. Doc Ock has a clear edge making Spider-man's victories feel all the sweeter, but it isn't so great that you wonder how the hell Spider-Man could possibly win without contrivance (see Sandman, Hydro-Man). Their powers also compliment each other really nicely with Doc Ock's tentacles and Spidey's acrobatics creating a near-infinite variety of cool poses and sequences. Spider-man v. Goblins is up there, but in terms of raw cool factor Doc Ock really is his greatest enemy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus the schtick with Ock is that the tentacles are theoretically fast enough that it's really hard to get in close to land a punch or even put a bullet into him. That said, yeah it should be preciously easy for someone like Thor or Captain America or Iron Man or even Daredevil to take him out with a well placed projectile.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair the Vulture has never been a credible threat. If he wasn't a Silver Age Ditko design he'd be in the dust bin of history.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's really interesting and I genuinely did not know that, since most of Stern's legacy is in his use of non-traditional Spidey villains like Nitro, Juggernaut, Mr. Hyde or then-new creations like the Hobgoblin. How on earth did he make The Vulture of all characters a credible threat? I know at some point they added razor feathers the Vulture could shoot, which is kind-of lame but necessary, but I can't imagine what else they'd do without just contriving scenarios where the Vulture is way more of a mastermind than he was ever shown to be originally.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

The show kind of can't though. If you argue that super-spies are inherently bad, then the whole premise crumbles. Just like you can't examine Batman as a rich white dude spending his nights punching poor black kids too closely.

Actually if you're willing to acknowledge these things head-on and admit they're kind-of hosed up, even if you don't "fix" them, your product comes across as much stronger because it acknowledges its limitations and doesn't try to present the film's specific hero as a panacea, and instead as what a superhero actually is-- a modern update on the Greek legend concept reflecting specific modern archetypes and ideas via specific settings, villains, powers, and even costuming.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

DC character chump the gently caress out of Marvel, though.

The JL alone has GoesFastMan, SuperGoku, PlansForEverythingMan, and Goku-but-telepathic-and-also-a-shapeshifter.

The only thing close that Marvel has on its day-to-day would be Sentry?

Yeah, I mean I love Marvel to death but the JLA are almost entirely in a weight class above the Avengers.

Anyone who whines about JLA/Avengers is being a big stupid baby. It was easily the best crossover we're ever going to get between the two companies, and treated both sides very fairly without copping to a lot of bullshit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

renegade Oan whose research into looking at the Big Bang with his retro-time-viewer created the multiverse and leaked evil and/or entropy all over existence.

why do I know this....

It's ok no one here will judge you. In fact many of them probably know a lot more.

Krona's power levels have always been ill-defined but it's generally accepted that since he hosed with the Big Bang he's powerful as poo poo. He's the one who instigates the entire JLA/Avengers crossover by travelling to the Marvel Universe and striking up a deal with the Gamemaster to get knowledge of the Big Bang if the Avengers defeat the JLA in a race to collect the most magical macguffins from each universe like the Infinity Stones, Kyle Rayner's Power Battery, and so on (Gamemaster sets the rules, and decides they swap "champions" from each other's universes to ensure they don't try and play favorites or use their knowledge of the home team to cheat).

Batman and Captain America (with help from the Atom and the Thing) figure out the game and ensure the JLA win at the last second, but Krona basically mind-rapes the Gamemaster and learns that Galactus is the one in the Marvel U who knows about the Big Bang, then basically chumps Galactus using completely undefined powers when Galactus refuses to give up the goods. He then makes a giant floating fortress outside of Galactus' corpse and tries to force DC and Marvel Earths together, causing the universe to try and kill itself but also creating a timeline where the JLA and Avengers existed side by side and do fun poo poo like hold yearly BBQs and ensure we get a very "classic" lineup of both teams with characters like Hal Jordan for the finale. The JLA/Avengers figure out that they're meant to be two universes, team up, and storm the Galactus corpse wherein Krona basically mind-conscripts every foe both teams have ever had starting with disposable henchmen like the Moloids and Kobra and working up to AMAZO and Sutur and poo poo. Due to fluctuations from Krona loving with the fabric of the universe the lineup of the JLA/Avengers and villains literally changes from panel-to-panel and we get just about everyone who has ever been on or fought against both teams, including retro-versions of the characters like Mullet Superman. The day gets saved, the two universes split, and it remains 100% canon baby.

Seriously people who smack-talk JLA/Avengers really don't know how good they have it. :c00lbert:

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 28, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I tried to keep away from Crisis on Infinite Earths because my memory of it is shoddy but I really should go and do a reread of that. I've actually got the Absolute Edition and boy is it purdy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

goatface posted:

Can't she just go "pmihc laeh" or whatever?

Hahahahahaha gently caress no

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hank Pym, master of etymology. And particle physics. Robotics, too. Probably a medical doctor as well.

Scientist Supreme :smuggo:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Then again dude was creating sentient AI in the 60s. Given how much Computer Science has progressed since then that's like learning someone made a working helicopter during the Iron Age.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm pretty sure it was some sort-of cosmic prank but don't quote me on that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I adore Young Justice and I still cringe when I see David's treatment of Klarion-- bah bah BAH--the Witch Boy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PG is just below Superman as well, in a nebulous ill-defined way. She's either on Wondy's level or just below/above it. Either way Diana knows how to fight and has been trained since she was a little clay girl, so PG is about to get her rear end whupped.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

House may have been rooted in Sherlock Holmes, but he's got more than a little Black Jack in him and absolutely everyone should read it.

Not just that but his requisite moe sidekick is literally a loving cyborg he built from a teratoma (one of those tumors people find with poo poo like teeth and hair in it).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I can't believe I have to say this but the answer to "should I read this Tezuka book?" is always yes.

Yeah I haven't read too much of his stuff but literally everything of his I've ever touched has been no-fooling great.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

First Bass posted:

Or worse, Bart Allen :barf:

Before Geoff Johns made him Teen Wally Redux I actually really really liked Bart Allen :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm just getting kinda tired of Batman outdoing everyone and judo flipping Jesus cause he's the best thing ever and no one can ever smoke him cause he's BATMAN and that's just how the universe rolls.

I am too but believe it or not it's actually been dialed back from how it was in the late 90s and early-to-mid 00s. Back then you couldn't go 3 months without some "Batman is the most Uber of Ubermensches cause PREP TIME" poo poo going down. Like those Darkseid pages with the magic crystal are pretty weak, but at least they took pains to try and justify it by having him wear some Ultra Armor that was only possible with the help of all his other God-tier friends.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing about Batman is that there is a beautiful metaphor in him always winning that Morrison really nailed. If Morrison's Superman is the man who will never let us down, Morrison's Batman is the man who will always overcome. That's the trick about badass moments in which he does something ridiculous, he has to be overcoming. He has to be at some disadvantage that he figures out a way around. Even TDKR fight works because it's Bruce giving it all he has. He's fighting Superman with a suit powered by Gotham City. It's not a trick he can pull off twice, but it works for this moment.

Snyder is someone who really understands this. I have issues with his work, but literally every story he's told has shown Batman not just struggle, but be humbled by his opposition. One of the more unnerving things about his work is that he makes it clear that Batman is scared of the Joker.

See this post? This is a drat good post and an extremely perceptive point.

I have my issues with Batman and especially Bat-fandom but I do actually like the character and enjoy seeing him be a badass. I just don't like Batman being the Hero-of-All-Superheroes who can take down anyone at any time and is totally justified in being a Right Wing/Randian paranoid-schizophrenic nutjob gone wild. He's not. If anyone at all has claim to the title of "Hero-of-all-superheroes" historically, ethically, and in terms of raw story power it's going to be Superman, and like it or not Batman is always going to be the Silver Medalist in that competition. I understand that's part of why people like to see Batman overcome Superman in a fight, but it very quickly grows antagonistic towards Supes, goes way out of proportion, and often causes people to lose sight of what makes Superman the necessary counterweight to all the great stuff about Batman (and vice versa).

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 23, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He just drives it when he has to/feels like it, but even back in the 70s when Mr. Fantastic (I think) unveiled it Spider-Man was all "this is really nice but you know I can't drive right?" and that was enough to keep it from becoming a regular thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Always remember he's responsible for The Scorpion. He had a super-villain made specifically to kill Spider-Man.

And the Spider-Slayers, IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

goatface posted:

Just a sudden drop from usual cinema 100+ decibels to 0 -> pause -> mouthed word -> blinding light -> MASSIVE DEAFENING EXPLOSION that violates all heath and safety.

This but use the old THX sound-test effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWkJ86JqlPA

See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XTgscDWtA&t=20s