Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've loved iron man since I was a kid, but good god was civil war a depressing time to be a fan. Every writer just wanted to poo poo all over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman and Robin #37

Batman and friends have been fighting through Apokolips to retrieve the body of Damian Wayne.

Part of me hates poo poo like this because it always brings up the nagging question as to why Batman doesn't just wear stuff like this all the time. It's like he's handicapping himself for no reason.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It's easy to say with hindsight that this all worked out for the best, and it was hard for me to see what people were so upset about at the time because I was a neophyte when this was published, but with a decade-plus of knowledge I totally get why this pissed old Avengers fans off so hardcore.

maybe hawkeye should have taken off his quiver of arrows instead of grabbing a random kree guy and turning himself into into a suicide bomb.

I really, really did not like Bendis's avengers stuff. Although adding spidey was a good move.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Particularly when it involves the Clone Saga.

Can we keep Reilley's spider man costume? I always liked that one and wouldn't mind if it showed up again sometime.

Although his scarlet spider costume sucks, we can toss that.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 29, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I really disliked that variation of Hulk tremendously. The part where the nurses make fun of Banner so he intentionally turns himself into the Hulk so he can rape and eat them was the worst treatment of the characters I've ever heard of.

I must have blocked this out. Was this during the first ultimates run?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

That is completely retarded. A super wealthy person like wayne has waaaay more power and ability to change things, than some rear end in a top hat in a cape.

I've heard this arguement used to justify why batman sucks and isn't helping gotham and I thought Chris Sims did a good rebuttal to it.

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-250-misinformation-about-batman/

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I recently picked up the first trade for superman rebirth and I was really surprised by how good it was. Guess the later issues seem to be continuing that trend.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm reminded of a similar line in Kingdom Come. I can't tell if this is a reference, since the syntax is pretty different, but I couldn't help but think about it.

I love this moment and really does sum up batman. It's also why the comics in which superman and batman don't like each other, even after they've known the other person for an extended period of time, drive me nuts.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 21, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

KaosMachina posted:

And because I posted it elsewhere and it's probably the best Magneto moment.

I love the lead up to this part because Skull just throws everything he has at magneto and mags more or less just brushes it aside. It's one of the most satisfying beatings in comics.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This was such a great tribute and the episode itself was so goddamn good.

edit
the funeral scene was also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-dHW3ZTTs

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 29, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rhaka posted:

So I recently reread God of Thunder and.. I'm kind of curious to keep reading. What in the name of poo poo do I read now? This is a very confusing run to follow along with.

This is probably why Marvel should stop rebooting their titles ever 2 years.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Suleman posted:

I don't think we have a disturbing panels thread, so let's put them here instead.

Immortal Hulk #8:
The Hulk has been captured by a suspicious organization. Beware, body horror ahead.

I think they're trying to make a big deal of the hulk deliberately killing someone, but considering the fact that in issue two he rips off some semi-immortal guys arms and legs and dumps him in a pit so he can suffer alone for (potentially) forever, what he's doing here doesn't seem so bad.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 9, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

On the other hand:

Thanks for the nice words about my books guys. I haven't been posting much about them for fear of sounding like a broken record (though apparently I jump in on threads to post Sheldon's art like some kind of lovely Beetlejuice).

Why am I just learning about this now. I gotta go and get this from my comic shop right the gently caress now

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ippo's humor is pretty dumb, but I'd by lying if I said it wasn't hilarious at times.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

JLA Avengers owns because it's basically allows two immensely talented individuals, who are also huge fanboys to boot, to just go nuts and play with all the toys. There's a ton of great character moments in that series.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

site posted:

tony is a narcissist who doesnt want people stealing his thunder

This falls apart for every single super scientist in comics. . Why doesn't Pym give everyone the ability to change size, why doesn't reed give other heroes access to his incredible tech, etc. It's not limited to Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TwoPair posted:

New Avengers Annual: Dr. Strange performs an exorcism

God drat this art is great.