Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Push El Burrito posted:

He liked the way he looked.

Can you guarantee that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I remember not buying that in the store because it was so murder-happy. It wasn't until I was older and rereading it digitally that I realized just how much contrivance is required in the first few pages before the writer can get to his full-universe murder spree.

That and "the X-Men Lost Inferno" really do go way out of their way to justify the ensuing slaughter.

The worst part about that Atlantis Attacks one was the end. The serpent sons of Set come to that world and are depicted as eating everyone on the planet - shown by having legs dangling upside down out of their mouths. The Watcher then talks about how the serpents ate everyone and are moving to different dimensions AND OURS COULD BE NEXT!!!!!!!!!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Cassa posted:

Ruin isn't helped by ending early because the art team went through some poo poo. Maybe it wouldn't have been quite so mean spirited with a little more to it?

I always wondered about this. The art changes pretty drastically right in the middle of the 2nd issue and it seems like the whole story just wraps up way too soon.

And the FF thing was even worse than that. Johnny starts burning from the inside out and bursts into flame. He stumbles around and lands on top of Sue, who turned invisible and freaks out because she’s now blind. So Johnny essentially burns his sister alive. Doom took Ben’s place and was turned inside out, and Reed was torn apart from his skin stretching off his bones. It’s revealed later that essentially the whole thing is Ben Grimm’s fault - he refused to go because of the shielding issues, and Doom’s arrogance caused them to be overexposed.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

prefect posted:

This just reminds me how great the Samaritan issues of Astro City are. They address this kind of stuff and it's great.

The second Sentry mini-series did a great job with this as well. It showed Bob being driven to madness because he thought he had to address every problem everywhere, but couldn’t be in two or three places at once. He worked himself to the point of exhaustion trying to solve every crisis and assist in every disaster around the world.

While the whole mini wasn’t that great, it was a really good insight into what it would be like to have god-like powers and an unending conscience.