Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of van art
New Gods 6

Both the narration and Kirby's art in this page are sublime :allears:
---

Context: Doctor Doom has kidnapped The Purple Man and created a device to harness his power of suggestion and project it across the entire world in order to make himself ruler of the planet.

Emperor Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
If that portal sends Galactus to the Superfriends universe, does this mean Apache Chief gets to save the day?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
It was necessary to trim it a bit to post here (since that scene takes up essentially the entire chapter), but I love how that chapter of Vinland Saga is constructed: it takes time to linger on the mood of the surrounding warriors - initially rowdy and betting on how long it'll take to send this shrimp packing (getting beat up was not Thorfinn's initial plan; he uses it as leverage after his initial request to see the king gets laughed off and they start beating on him) and getting more and more solemn as the punch count rises.

There's a risk of being really self-indulgent when a character is suffering for their beliefs, but the "I have no enemies at all" line is a stunning climax to a long and well-constructed character arc and is one of my favorite badass moments.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
JET JAGUAR, gently caress YEAH!

I never get tired of how very, very goofy Jet Jaguar looks. Tokusatsu movies and shows are full of goofy stuff, but Jet Jaguar is a gem.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I'm OK with Doom being so stubborn he can beat fundamental forces of nature, but Punisher is just a man. But that's just me.

I agree.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Glagha posted:

It really does, if only because he does the smart thing and goes to pull off his mask in a mirror to see Flash's secret identity, only to realize he has NO idea who the hell Wally is :v:
Wally's voice actor also does a great job of mimicking the speech patterns Clancy Brown uses for Luthor.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

voting third party posted:

This comic has a lot of amazing pages. My favorite is when it was revealed that the seven demiurges were meeting on top of a dead god's skull.
It's also where the title of the comic is revealed to be a name :black101:

There's a whole lot of badass in K6BD.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

AnonSpore posted:

Dude with an X on his chin is also Woodchuck from Record of Lodoss War so yeah it's a deliberate homage. And I know I've seen the dude in green too, I just can't remember where.
Orson, from the Record of the Lodoss War TV show.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

ManiacClown posted:

Truth. Any badass-wannabe can give a beating. It's a true badass who's willing to take one he knows is coming, especially when it's for a good cause.
It's not as weighty as March (and goddamn is that some fine comic booking), but this describes my favorite moment in Vinland Saga.

EDIT: I have some thoughts about why it's an especially effective chapter.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 15, 2015

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Choco1980 posted:

Close. Terry's a clone of Bruce, made by Waller. Everything leading up to him becoming Batman was orchestrated by her organization, including the murder of his "father", which is some Boys From Brazil level stuff
Also, it might be more appropriate for the touching moments thread, but one of the flashbacks in that episode is really good, and I think you could argue that it's kind of bad-rear end.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Requested in the Touching and Inspiring Panels thread, but probably more appropriate here given the last page.

John Henry in DC: The New Frontier #3

(Full sequence in linked album)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

muscles like this! posted:

As a side note, I'm not sure how hard it is to find nowadays but I also recommend the author's (Makoto Yukimura) previous series Planetes. It takes place roughly 70 years into the future and follows the crew of the spaceship Toybox. Their job is to clean up the junk that people have left in orbit. Its fairly short but will also hit you right in the feels. Planetes is also extremely "hard" sci-fi as the characters have to deal with stuff like prolonged exposure to space causing health issues like low bone density and cancer.
It was out of print and difficult to find for a while but got a reprint as a two volume collection by Dark Horse in 2015/2016. Easy to get on Amazon, but I don't think it's available digitally anywhere.

It's quite good; has a whole lot of existential dread related to living/working in space going on.