Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

They received death threats over Captain America, and the mayor of New York told them he has their back. I think they're both equally bad rear end stories, and they both precede major cultural shifts.

Curious what Captain America storyline this was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's funny that my friends who don't read comics often love Civil War. I think when you take character no-one knows the history behind and turn them into broad characters devoid of backhistory you can appeal to a big market.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Metal Loaf posted:

Kind of like Identity Crisis in that respect.

Well yes, if we didn't know that the world's best detective wasn't really incompetent.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

:stare:

What message did they think they were sending to the other elephants....? :psyduck:

Well Edison once electrocuted an elephant to prove to people that Tesla was going to kill their children or something. Maybe some people just enjoy killing elephants in crazy ways because they can. Also because they are crazy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Parahexavoctal posted:

Lot of nice scenes in the original Suicide Squad - for instance, Gort vs Deadshot.

Ivan Illyich Gort was an 80-year-old Soviet metahuman who'd fought in WW2, where he was nicknamed "Stalnoivolk" - a name that means both "Steel Wolf" and "Stalin's Wolf", which should give you an idea of his personality. He had the powers of Superman from Action Comics #1 - he could leap 1/8 of a mile, hurdle 20-story buildings, raise tremendous weights, outrun a train, and nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin. Not modern-day Kryptonian by any means -- not even Superman from 1945 -- but pretty drat impressive when up against normal humans.

So when Amanda Waller recruits him for the Squad, he tells her that he's so grateful to her for getting him out of prison that he won't kill her. Then he gets set to leave... and discovers that maybe only a bursting shell could have penetrated his skin back in the 40s, but nowadays we have lasers.

Anyway. Gort gets sent on a Squad mission, with Deadshot-and-a-laser-pistol as a chaperone. As usual for Squad missions, things go terribly wrong, and their plane gets shot out of the sky, stranding the survivors in a jungle in Cambodia. Gort wants to just walk away from the mission and leave everyone else to die, but Deadshot points the laser pistol at him...

and later, because Gort was being so uncooperative, Deadshot is riding him piggyback, and holding him at laser-pistolpoint. They even meet some Russian metas, and Gort asks them (in Russian) if they could "get rid of this flea on my back", and Deadshot says (also in Russian) "one wrong move, comrade, and a beam of light goes in one ear and out the other", and the Russians back down.

Anyway. Eventually the mission concludes, more people die, (as someone on Usenet once said, "it wouldn't be a Squad mission without the bitter taste of ashes"), the survivors get out, and Gort gets left behind. And someone asks Deadshot "why didn't you use the laser pistol to <set off the explosives or something, I don't remember precisely what it was>?"

and Deadshot says "oh, the laser pistol broke when we fell out of the plane. drat thing's completely useless."

Deadshot is all kinds of awesome!

From the Deadshot mini written by Gage.
For context Deadshot finds out that he had a daughter with some hooker he slept with years ago. Deadshot being big into family (read the Ostrander trade if you haven't) decides to provide for his kid. Turns out her and her mother live in dodgy neighbourhood so Deadshot decides to make it a safe place for his daughter the only way he knows how ie killing all the gangsters there. One of his old buddies turns up and decides to take over the neighbourhood now that there is no competition. The above shows how well that goes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BioTech posted:

I bought the omni a few months back and enjoyed it. Grant Morrison wrote about Marshal Law in Supergods, I think it was about how this was the first comic dealing with the perversion of the super hero ideal. It plays with a lot of the sexual background, deviancy, superheroes becoming a fetish for "normals", but none of it feels as immature like Ennis' The Boys did to me. The sex wasn't the focus, but it was an aspect of the stories. There is some Vietnam criticism in there as well, the same Judge Dredd-esque critique on the US that gets posted here every now and then.

That said, this type of dark and grim is hard to take serious, self-loathing is a key aspect of the character and this kind of mood can get real tiring. It has definitely aged.

Our library got the omni. Initially I was expecting it to be a whole lot of "aren't superheroes stupid. Look how stupid they are" kind of parody, but the book has a surprising amount of heart to it. That being said it comes across as much more cynical form of Kingdom Come, or rather Kingdom Come comes up as a much more optimistic Marshal Law.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Shark week you say:

I heart King Shark

All from Secret Six.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Isn't the Blob's power actually gravity control, and he's just really stupid?

Source may be one of those terrible Generation-X novels from the 90s (one of the times Synch was thinking about other people's powers or something)? Either that, or my brain is playing tricks on me.

Yea, he can control gravity so he can make himself completely unmovable, or move like a speed runner. There was an issue of X-Factor where he fights Strong Guy and SG mentions that watching the Blob run is like watching the ballerina hippos in Fantasia.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Knightfall had some really good storyarcs, and it was quite a unique story before Arkham got destroyed every second week storylines happened. It was nice to see Bruce get pushed to the ultimate limit and such with something mundane like having to face all his rogues at once. Then stuff like Hush happened and it just felt so diluted.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite interpretation of Joker has always been that he's a little bit crazy but acts way crazier for attention and to prove some nonsense point about society. Like in the Animated Series, when he'd make some grand soliloquy about chaos and then when his plan goes to poo poo he'd just cut out like any two bit villain, dropping the crazy act immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lNW3jNbig

Batman: Under the Hood by Winnick played around with this idea quite a bit when Todd confronted the Joker and basically called him out on his bullshit. I wish I could find the panels because it is pretty badass to see Joker getting a talking down to.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squidster posted:

Adventures of Superman #40

I really dig the at in that one, and it's always great having someone call Joker on his poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

Man I wanted to see the racist crybaby responses

Seeing as it was a letters page and not some comments section where they could anonymously post some vitriol about political correctness gone amok, I like to think that they didn't receive to much, and any that they did were probably written with so much vitriol and hatred that they couldn't print them anyway.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SirDan3k posted:

The inscription hammer has also said "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." for a few years, not that anybody remembers or that the gendered pronoun matters considering Jane Foster/Thordis predates a big old chunk of stuff.

Yes, but that get any press back in the day?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Trast posted:

Are you guys really having a discussion about the writing on a fictional hammer and its inconsistency over the years?

Fandom posted:

Hi. A question for Miss Bellamy. In episode 2F09 when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ManiacClown posted:

Maybe fix perspective on The Spectre, but yeah, the vengeful right hand of God riding a T-rex is a pretty boss image. drat, I need a van.

Not only is he riding the dinosaur, his legs are one with the dinosaur. The vengeful right hand of God is literally half dinosaur!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah which of Batman's villains were black again?

Black Mask :smugbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of read it as I....(know what, gently caress you, I am your superior in everyway) DARKSEID.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

As somebody who shares that general look and ancestry, both Tim and Harry are basically the Generic White UK Teenager. It's always fun to watch a Potterhead discover Books of Magic and get all worked up about it for a day or so.

They are both rip offs of Tommy Taylor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His enemy's face, no. Wolverine's lower back and glutes, well why not?

(Note also that Cyc is using his eye beam without clenching his fist or touching his visor.)

"Hi, question for Ms. Bellamy. In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes that same rib twice in succession yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we, to believe that this is some sort of a, a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kelp Plankton posted:

Luke Cage: the first man to try punching Doctor Doom in the same spot over in over instead of just punching once and giving up.

:doom: Oh no! Punches. My only weakness. :doom:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cornwind Evil posted:

That's actually in his power set slash name: he's compelled to take risks. And to be fair, in losing his first arm we never see him actually run up to Prime; he showed up with like 40 other superheroes and then when Prime snapped and started murdering and maiming it was 'panel DEAD C-LISTER, panel-DEAD C-LISTER, panel-ARM REMOVED', meaning Prime might very well have blurred over to him at super speed and done it.

Now yeah, he did charge him the second time, but by then he was too far gone down the bitterangrystupid path.

So his power set is that he is a perpetual darwin awards nominee.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Last night Detective Flass appeared on Gotham. It reminded me of this:

From Batman: Year One.

Note the baseball bat. Gordon gave that to Flass to make the fight more even.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dan Didio posted:

The best examination of Jor-El's ravings will always be during Frankie Boyle's Chain Reaction interview of Grant Morrison, where they note that it's pretty ironic that Jor-El sent his kid to another dying planet.

He just wanted his baby to feel at home.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I never got whether WW was an ambassador of peace or a powerful warrior who will fight til her dying breath. I blame the writers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dan Didio posted:

She's both. Don't blame the writers.

I was being facetious. No real problems from me for WW.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

It may be a human reaction, but it's not a good reaction for police officers.

Fair enough but I think the point is that the police officers are also human beings with human feelings (yes even the robot). When Irma's partner dies and she goes on the rampage it is because she is feeling human grief. When they really want the pedophile creep dude to pay for his crimes it is because they are feeling human anger. Maybe sometime in the future in the real world we can have a police force that is void of human emotions but what the comic book is trying to show is that these characters have human emotions that dictate their decisions.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kellsterik posted:

Actually that was good, and not bad.

It was destruction without consequences. At least BvS is going to deal with the aftermath of the destruction of Metropolis. In Avengers 2 Tony and the Hulk destroy some random African city and no-one seems to care.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is the badass thread so we should be showing badass things. Here are the most badass things involving Prometheus.

Catwoman whipping him in the dick.

....and him gaining the physical fighting powers of Stephen Hawking

(yes I know this was all mentioned before).

Moral of the story: Prometheus was a chump.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sandman dealt with murderers a lot better than Punisher could ever hope to deal with them. And also in a more badass way:

(Sandman: Dolls House).

Basically by removing their twisted fantasies where they are the ubermensch, the heroes of a stupid society, the kings who can take what they want, Morpheus exposed them for what they really are....pathetic little people who hurt others to make themselves feel better. And by exposing that, they can no longer lie to themselves and they can live with the knowledge from now on that they are just terrible people. It is never stated but I always thought that the next stage from this would have the killers feel empathy for the first time in their life.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

flosofl posted:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Dream doesn't give a poo poo about rehabilitation or really relate to humanity very well (see what he did with a woman he loved out of wounded pride). He really only cares about the Dreamlands and he was there to reign in the Corinthian. I always got the sense he punished the "Collectors" because he found them offensive. It usually seems his punishments are meted out to those that offended or attempted (or have) harmed him directly or those under his care.

Yea Dream doesnt really care for the killers one way or another and only deals with them because of their connection with Corinthian but he still deals out punishment that fits the crime. There isnt something spiteful about it. He dislikes the people because he sees Corinthian in them, and he sees Corinthian as his failed experiment.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did Ali ever comment about the Superman vs Ali book? Was he a fan?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It kind of blows my mind that Hollywood still hasn't caught up to Jack Kirby.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Latveria seems to have a really low credit rating:

Forget Fantastic Four. Fox should make this into a movie instead, while keeping the original dialog. Where's my money, Honey? indeed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

Galactus reproduces asexually. Does he even have a dick to punch?

Well how does he get rid of waste?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is it too late to talk about favourite Punisher moments because mine is the issue when he gets his skin colour turned black and teams up with Luke Cage

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Minarchist posted:

It's goddamned awesome is what it is

What makes it better for me is that I keep reading Frank's lines with a Alvin and Chipmunks voice in my head.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was getting some serious "I Kill Giants" vibe from that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

Prez is basically a Vertigo book that for some reason has mainline branding on it.

As much as I love Prez, this part kind of confuses me. How is Prez not a Vertigo title?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

I was talking about the storyline of the new Cap run, which I'm not reading but caused Fox News to throw a tantrum because the white supremacist bad guys are anti immigration. Have a consolation classic from a world where Steve was revived later than usual and replaced by a racist fascist:

It's amazing how something written 40 odd years ago can be the best rebuttal to Trump's "Make America great again" campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I was really annoyed that Rogue's powers worked on him in that episode.

I always thought she absorbed his rage but not his powers. It's been years since I have seen that episode but I thought it was more his memories and anger and maybe a little bit of energy.