Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The show kind of can't though. If you argue that super-spies are inherently bad, then the whole premise crumbles. Just like you can't examine Batman as a rich white dude spending his nights punching poor black kids too closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My point was that if you take any part of superhero comics to a realistic end, they fall apart. You can't expect SHIELD to be the exception.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah which of Batman's villains were black again?

Thug #3 and Hoodlum F

And yes, point taken, my hyperbole could've been better thought out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
*drops magic hammer*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, didn't Busiek explicitly say that DC Earth is bigger in Avengers/JLA? And the DCU has it's own fair share of fake countries. Corto Maltese and Khandaq, anyone?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, if anyone could turn Darkseid's head, it'd be Dark Phoenix.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, I assume the next page has Zatanna go "Um, Harley? You're a psychiatrist, not a vet."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Jeph Loeb claimed that in some "she's been super-exposed to yellow sun rays for her whole life" thing when he reintroduced her.

And I recall a page of Diana kicking Power Girl's butt while criticising her for not learning to actually fight and relying on her Kryptonian powers. Is that from the same issue?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

And they flee, terrified for their lives because the succubus is a rotting corpse of a woman dragged from hell to wreak bloody revenge?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

One thing I'm not digging about this series is all the emphasis on how poor she is. In this issue, her computer is busted and she can't fix it because she can't get ahold of a spare hard drive. Really? You don't know anyone that might be able to help you out?

Maybe it's explained elsewhere, but I jumped on last issue cold and have no idea why Bruce isn't helping out.

Didn't Bruce just lose all of his money in one of the main Bat-books?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I mean, I kinda know that the New52 set-up has Barbara and Dinah hating each other for some reason (because girls can't be FRIENDS, lol :jerkbag:). They just barely got along out of necessity in the early issues of the relaunch Birds of Prey. The eidetic memory thing has been part of the character for ages, it's just that no-one really used it for more than a convenient excuse for her to be able to spout exposition until now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

We're not doing that anymore.

Soonmot posted:

Nope. I'm glad Academy and this new Batgirl are there, but they really are not anything I can drum up enthusiasm for outside of bringing in new fans. I am a bit miffed that, without the anime poo poo and if the hipster poo poo was toned down a bit, there's no reason this couldn't have been a Stephanie Brown Batgirl, but that's more of a problem I have with the overall nu52. I was just kind of hopeful that with Wonder Woman and Red Lanterns ending, these new bat books would keep me reading some non-Vertigo DC.

Honestly, considering it's a bit of a shift for Barbara too, you could pretty easily sub in Steph and her mother for Babs and Jim, and I'm not sure much would be lost, and they could've kept Oracle, thus getting two marketable characters for the price of one

I wonder how open they're going to be to revisiting some of these ditched legacy things if the tie-ins to Convergence do well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Cpt. Marvel's mask is so bitchin

Eh, I think it looks pretty silly, but I hate Captain Britain's stupid helmet and boots too, and everyone loves those.

(The rest of the costume is awesome, and I think there's a reason McKelvie's original design doesn't have the mask. He's really good at this sort of thing, so don't mess with it.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 18, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Velocidad can't run across water at all, and appears to have the body of a 24 year old at age 15. Not the coolest power in the world. :(

Also his name keeps making me think of this:

Dr Dinosaur Sr?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

They can't afford a cork board with "Uncle Ben" push-pinned into it? :ohdear:

Do you think Perlmutter's made of money? My god, if they have the Uncle Ben board, he might have to buy 19 pounds of caviar instead of 20 next time the rest of the Disney executives come over!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Colleen Coover is good at drawings.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, isn't the Executioner just a regular dude from the 9 realms, not an actual god?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Well there're two words I didn't expect to see today

Django gets his own cool moment in the opening of the issue, too. He basically pulls a fake hitch-hiker routine on Diego because he knows his current marks will see the rich Spaniard as an easy target.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ugh. The Wonder Woman one is awful, AND an uninspired choice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The dude on Arrow would be a much better Ra's if he did the cool muttonchop/'stache thing comics Ra's has.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I remember Stan Lee's DC sucking. A lot.

I still like his Flash concept, actually. Neat visual design (by Kevin Maguire) with an origin only slightly dumber that Jay Garrick and Barry Allen's ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean she was at the University of Chicago

Yeah, I think Dan3k got mixed up with Barbara Gordon or something? :confused:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

smashpro1 posted:

"It's in space, that makes it a SWORD job."

This is why Lockheed drinks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
We had this discussion not too long ago. The trouble with the reverse outcome is there's no tension in 'Superman vs regular human, human goes smoosh'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Everything else seems comical, the "embarass the gently caress out of him" part is the only part that seems reasonable. "Give him a bat to even the odds" and "injure him exactly enough to subdue him without causing any serious injuries" are the bullshit manuevers there.

Except no-one would think it if Gordon was replaced by a man in bat-pajamas.

Everyone forgets that Year One is a Gordon story masquerading as a Batman origin. Of course he gets the superhero moment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I thought it was cool :blush:

but then I haven't read enough of Miller's stuff to get burnt out on his schtick I guess.
I like it too. I was pointing out how dumb it is to get mad about it being implausible in a world where Batman can knock men out without causing brain damage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

The Parker Luck, judging by how many times they're getting chumped in this crossover.

What, you mean your Big Bad shouldn't be getting fooled by his supposed concubine going "Oooh, I have a tummyache!"?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably why Bendis loves/loved USM so much, he can be the guy that writes Spidey, but without most of those rules. Hell, he somehow managed to make 'Gwen Stacy dates Peter Parker' seem out of character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, that would be better with the original text.

How dare you boil the Hostess Fruit Pie down to being a mere weapon?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Didn't they also have a woman who literally wore nothing but two clouds?

No, that's just who Strange spends Friday nights with when he tells Clea he's playing bridge with the boys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

I haven't seen an angry baby punch someone that hard since Bryan Danielson fought Takeshi Morishima.

Not when Kurt Angle went at it with Samoa Joe?

(I don't even know who the angry baby would be in this pair, actually)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sit down, son, ol' Hornhead has his DRIVIN' cane.

(Good thing there was a convertible nearby.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The most recent arc in Green Arrow is heavily inspired by the show (including being written by writers from the show, one of whom wrote for the GA/BC book that you mentioned) so maybe start there? Green Arrow: Year One is also a pretty good version of the origin, with a villain a TV viewer will recognise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Is the most recent version just called Green Arrow?

Yes, the arc I'm talking about started in #35, though a lot of good things have been said about the run from #17-#34 also.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the run from #35 introduces Felicity and Mia/Thea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

e X posted:

There used to be a saying: "Only three characters will ever stay dead in comics, Uncle Ben, Bucky Barns and Jason Todd"

I vote we change it to "Only two characters SHOULD stay dead in comics, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Thomas did in Flashpoint, but that was an alternate universe where Bruce died instead of him.

Martha was also in Flashpoint, remember?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Bucky's return was also very well done.

The Winter Soldier is the character DC wish the Red Hood was. (Or that they think he IS, given that he's had an ongoing title until the present day?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Hour of the Dragon is fuckin' great. There's a whole part where Conan gets press-ganged by pirates and is all "Dude, I'm the King of Aquilonia, I'll BUY the boat if you take me where I'm going"... then remembers the wizard and some other guys stole his throne plus these pirates don't know he's king of anything anyway. So he decides these guys are dicks for having a bunch of dudes, including guys that used to be on Conan and Belit's crew when he was a pirate, as slaves, so leads a bloody uprising and just takes the ship. (Please forgive me if I messed any part of that up, but I've only read the old-school Roy Thomas/Gil Kane/John Buscema adaptation)

And then he gets hit on by a thousand-year old vampire princess, and it's basically a footnote to the quest he's really on to get the Magical Whatsit of MacGuffin.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

This could easily be some random Thursday.

Wouldn't it be any other day? I feel like he takes Thursdays off. Y'know, just a day for himself.