Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think within the Thunderbolts they made that distinction, it's just that over in Spider-man the government was Turbo Hitler. Civil War was, ironically, not edited enough! Or, more likely, wasn't edited correctly. A consistent tone had to be maintained to make the thing work, and that's the opposite of what we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
But the comic's still neat! Go read East of West.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Much like actual comics, the dross quality ratio is skewed towards dross but much less so than a couple years back.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't think Galactus is being petty so much as after all the times Earth's heroes prevented him from eating it just waltzing in and chowing down would be a major anti-climax.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You've seen three pages out of a multi-issue run. Seems legit to say it's the worst run ever.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What happened to Scott's control of his optic blasts? It's in that arc of Astonishing that Emma tells him that he subconsciously let go of his control and it never was about a head injury he sustained, but after that he eventually goes back to the visor.

Scott talks about how it's really exhausting to keep the blasts under control, so he wears the visor most of the time to let himself relax or stay focused. Then post AvX he can't even shoot them in a straight line.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

How do you manage to NOT fire in a straight line when the beams come out of your eyes?

Since he came down from being hopped up on Pheonix Force his beams don't come out a consistent direction any more.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The look on Namor's face in that panel before he impales not-Batman is loving gold.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be honest, I like the conflicted Namor look so much because Smug Namor is a matter of course but seeing him upset that he has to play the badguy again is much rarer.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's the sort of twist I'm expecting from a cover that provocative.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's also complete bullshit, but leave it to a goddamn cat to buy it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nah, Doom doesn't have to bribe it, Doom just described how every cat sees its relationship with its owners, except Doom's litterbox is changed by the entire world.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

You've got a point there. I'm a little bummed that he seems to be emotional and angry. I like him a lot better when he's distant and unemotional. It makes it so much more impressive when he does actually let loose. (Annihilation #6, which I'm sure is in this thread already.)

To be fair, Galactus started out distant and was just finishing up now that Earth is dead, but after so many issues of Thor punching him in his face (Which, by issue 23, is no longer there) he's gotten pretty frustrated.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I love the detail of Alfred's shoe just shattering from kicking Superman's head in, all Arthurian brast blade style.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
She actually dosed him with sleeping pills and almond flavouring, because she learned that Cyanide tasted of almonds from Murder She Wrote. Aunt May is the maximum old lady and it rules.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, considering the lengths some things had to go to kill J'onn in other stories, a simple heat vision burn isn't going to cut it.

Didn't Darkseid have him rendered down on the atomic level as fuel for a reactor or something in one time line because literally nothing else would kill him (and the process took several months or something)?

In Morrison's Rock of Ages storyline Desaad smashed J'onn atom by atom in a particle accelerator because how else do you torture a shapeshifter?

Why the answer isn't More Fire is an exercise for the reader.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Beforehand. That was the capstone of Joe Kelly's Justice League book, which was after Mark Waid who was after Grant Morrison with a writer or two in between.
It was also loving great, but I'm a pretty big Kelly fan.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The most shocking thing about Ms. Marvel #6 is how loving good the art is for a fill-in artist.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Superstring posted:

The Ms. Marvel fill-in is by Jake Wyatt. He's had pages from his upcoming (this year maybe?) comic Necropolis floating around which has made an appearance either in this thread or the previous.

I didn't know it was the Necropolis guy! Ms. Marvel keeps getting better and better.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Terrible advice.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, it's a Reed Richards Planet Bustin' Bomb, so it probably has a bit of Galactus/Ultimate Nullifier in the design.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
21 has his ghost dad chewing him out but I don't think he got stripped of his station? I'd have to reread 21.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, everybody who wrote him after Nextwave.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It boggles me how Bender-Lite is such an enlightened step up for Machine Man. Dude was great in Nextwave because everything was, taken out of that system he was just as dull but now with added sass.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Space Fish posted:

As much as I want to avoid making Sex Criminals seem like an unending torrent of dick jokes, this page from #7 is too game to leave out.

Saint's Row Three got a comic book?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

mind the walrus posted:

I personally don't have a problem with the guy, like, at all beyond maybe those unsubstantiated rumors and the usual twinge of jealousy I get when I see someone who is truly truly privileged, but some people really flat-out hate the guy.

People give him a lot of poo poo for being John Landis' son-- he's a clear son of privilege, John Landis is a monster, etc. etc. etc.

Then there's the fact that in his video presentations he comes across both as a smug Hollywood princeling (cause he almost unquestionably is) who can make literal :goonsay: videos guest-starring Elijah Wood and Ron Howard, has a very cocksure demeanor that indicates someone whose capacity to sound right far exceeds their capacity to be right, talks about superheroes which just plain pisses some people off, and there are unsubstantiated (to my knowledge) rumors that he does lovely PUA things at bars with no success and has some sexist/"nice guy"/MRA/what have you views.

Doogz has some great stories about how trash Max Landis is from when they both were at Morrison's convention.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, it's totally fitting that a character from a Spawn comic would awkwardly shoe-horn half mocking half misunderstood christian stuff into whatever they're involved in. Spawn's the Japanese RPG of comics after all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

No reason you can't mix mythologies. There was a really good Incredible Hercules storyline back in the day about various pantheons fighting each other.

I mean, this is all about a character from a book where there was a grand revelation that Jesus was actually a lady and also God's Mom. And also Satan's Mom. Compared to that finding out that there's an offbrand christian stick of the world tree called HEVEN seems right at home. The entire book feels like they're taking the piss out of Angela's real world origins in making her in-universe one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...isn't that just an attempt at bashing Judeo-Christian mythology into a Gnostic framework, with Jesus as the Source, God as Sophia, and Satan as the Demiurge? That's not really that batshit, honestly.

No because both God and Devil were depicted literally as bickering children because of course they are it's Todd McFarlane.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fuego Fish posted:

Comics have shown us that mastering one thing instantly makes you amazing with everything else remotely related to that field. Sort of how Lex Luthor went to business school and suddenly became the world's leading expert on genetics :pseudo:

Hank Pym, master of etymology. And particle physics. Robotics, too. Probably a medical doctor as well.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

(I have no idea what Flash and Aquaman are supposed to be contributing, but a suit forged in the heart of the sun, the Green Lantern Central Power Battery, and supervised by Hephaestus (in the background of the Wonder Woman panel) has got to be pretty powerful)

Aquaman is probably doing some Atlantean magic or something. The Flash looks to be putting the armor into the speedforce which is of course a place where whatever bullshit you need to have happen happens.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Redeye Flight posted:

Been a while since I read Life and Times, but would that stranger's initials happen to be F.G.?

Yes they would. He even had the terrible beard as a young jerk, as I recall.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Doom's face was literally the plot point used to resolve the conflict in the original Secret Wars, why would you not mention it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Holy gently caress that last goddamn page/panel. What a shitshow.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Captain America's Shield, like all true patriots, gives no fucks about magic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wicked Hate really pulling to top her previous hits "We should revoke the First Amendment" and "The Future will be cool with incest".

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Heresiarch posted:

Considering how many spider-derivatives there are around these days there's plenty of plausible deniability there.

"No, Senator, that wasn't Spiderman. Are you aware of the number of times that Spiderman has been cloned or otherwise imitated over the years? I think you can find a torrent with his DNA in it on the Pirate Bay by now. It was probably AIM or the Hand or something. Hell, Tony Stark cloned Thor the other day, you should go talk to him."

I mean, you can get Klaw off BitTorrent. P2P superpeople is the future today!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Having your lips sewn shut doesn't do much good for your face, no.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

Peter sort of became the Manhattan Guardian. Fighting crime, then calling up Jameson to give him a heads up on the scoop.

Though that's in a world where Auny May got shot instead. In the world where he simply stopped the burglar when he had the chance, Peter became a gigantic Hollywood jackass to such a point that Jameson started the Sinister Six to kill him.

And he put Daredevil on retainer to be a superhero. And he had a cape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I feel better about life, knowing I live in a world with Jack Kirby's Superpro.