Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Metal Loaf posted:

Star Wars: Republic #9

Immersion shattered. Lightsaber wounds don't bleed. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I started reading Thor: God of Thunder thanks to this thread and its predecessor.

Holy poo poo this comic is metal as gently caress.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Some of my favorite Spider-Man stories came out of that era.

Now I have no loving idea what is going on with the character anymore.

Anyway, Spider-Man is badass:

That last one was just him being a huge dick, especially considering what kinda person he was before getting powers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's morbid but funny how the titular characters are charred husks in the middle of a nuclear wasteland and at the bottom is DC COMICS PROUDLY PRESENTS.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I haven't read this comic but I get the running visual ambiguity that Wolf may or may not have a mouth. That's pretty neat.

I don't think that's actually a thing, since he's clearly talking in the third page posted. But regardless, East of West is a really cool comic and should be read.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

How do you get Aquaman angry enough to guest star in a gritty Batman comic?

Batman and Robin Aquaman #29

How has Aquaman not destroyed DC Japan yet

Also if I didn't know who he was, I'd think Aquaman was a weird corporate mogul who ran a huge whaling business and liked to dress up in weird costumes.

vv I meant that in a general sense, since what Japan did with whaling makes that look like small beans.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 20, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's pretty metal, thanks for the link.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

:drat: That last panel was great.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Race aside that's pretty much just excessive violence. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Was reading the manga series The Vinland Saga and came across something I thought was pretty badass. The series is mainly set during the Viking conquest of England and follows several characters, one of them is Thorfinn son of Thors who used to be a real killer. He spends a good chunk of the series on a quest for revenge only to have it taken away from him as the object of his revenge is killed. In his anger he attacks King Canute of England, who in revenge sells Thorfinn into slavery (lots of revenge going on.) This scene takes place years later as King Canute (who is now king of Denmark too) attacks the farming village Thorfinn has been living in as a slave. In the intervening years Thorfinn has renounced violence and is now trying to broker a peace between Canute and the landowner.
(remember, read right to left I also skipped some pages for brevity's sake)

I don't see any horses being punched there :colbert:

Seriously though Vinland Saga is a great series, it's got plenty of badass in the sense of dudes punching dudes, and also badass like this where your words speak louder than your actions.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm generally not a fan of Grant Morrison's "BatGod" take on Batman, but this was a standout moment in Batman R.I.P.:

I would have liked it more if Bruce had spent years slowly building up an immunity to iocane powder.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I posted these near the end of the previous thread, but I could only find them in black and white then, and the quality of the scans wasn't great.

Here's the full-colour version of Jaspers vs the Fury from The Mighty World of Marvel #11 and #12 (by Alans Moore and Davis).

Reminds me of the duel of wits between Dream and a demon in Sandman.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, she may seem like a cheesecake character, but she's about as powerful as Superman.
Beware of underrated superheroes.

Aquaman #1

Wait, Aquaman bleeds from getting shot with an assault rifle?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

Which makes it even more awesome in my eyes. I think this would be an appropriate quote:

That is the most "white man" speech I've ever seen.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

"The only thing you'll get out of it is everything you ever wanted... but you have no ambition and no dreams. We have ambition, we have dreams, and we have the universe. Because we tried harder."

Ambition and dreams as defined by hella white people, yeah

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

prefect posted:

Better than noble-savage blue people.

(I haven't actually seen Avatar -- I'm just guessing. :shobon:)

I thought the Na'vi were corny as poo poo, I just don't see how anyone can read the speech that was posted in this thread and not see how tremendously arrogant and close-minded it is, and actually read it as something unequivocally laudable instead of eyeroll-inducing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

goatface posted:

So Yoda, king of the Light Side of the force, just killed everybody on a planet that is covered by a city. Probably a hundred billion people.

Not exactly a precise application of force.

They were all stinkin' Imps. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty darn sure that a lot of it is prototyped in a 3d program and then painted/drawn over, it's just way too perfect spatially for it to be totally done in the artist's head.

Murata streams from time to time and I don't think he does, since once he starts drawing he doesn't seem to have reference material nearby. He just starts sketching, though he does occasionally just scrap stuff and start over.

This one, for example, was originally drawn in a flipbook and just ported over to his draft pages.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like people are playing a game of telephone or something. Murata took a short break to study animation techniques. This does not mean he became an animator or quit OPM or whatever. It feels like there's been a long delay because there's a two week gap between chapters and he actually took down the last chapter to redraw it completely. Yes this does mean he is insane, but no he has not quit.

Vincent posted:

How do you mistranslate Ussop's big ol' lips?

Wait so people having big lips is racist? I thought people were talking about that one part in the Davy Back Fight arc (worse One Piece arc ever by the way).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Are you fukken serious

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

She does MMA.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

prefect posted:

Like the idea that every race sees Galactus differently? I like it.

I'm not sure I like the part about Galactus, though. It would be a shame to deprive other races of that awesome helmet.

I kinda find it funny that it's implied human beings as a species find huge purple horn helmets and armored kilts to be incredibly impressive.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, Alfred's shoe just loving exploding was a great touch. The final line was also a really great :drat: moment.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Uthor posted:

Bandette #4

The dude looks so bored watching those two fight it out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Also that "one tournament" was Evo 2013, the biggest fighting game tournament of the year.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Uthor posted:

Sharks? Who said anything about sharks? (I did.)

Uncanny X-Force 33

He brought the shark out again later, right? :ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's so lame. Is every character on the roster going to no-sell the penance stare through technicalities? It's supposed to make you feel the weight of your sins, you're not supposed to be able to wiggle out of it due to your mindset.

Look dude Frank is squeezing out a monster log from the expression on his face, he doesn't have time to dwell on the weight of sins when he's dwelling on the weight of poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Origin story of being dunked in a vat of mystery chemicals. He invented, probably involves some exposure to, joker venom, regularly hangs out with people who indiscriminately sprays a cocktail of aerosolized narcotics and god knows what else and is constantly being tranquilized, drugged, chemically straightjacketed by Arkham and shot with whatever ''antidote'' Batman feels it's necessary to inject him with that week. Oh, and he goes house hunting in carnival themed superfund sites.

His ability to process toxins probably came from lots and lots and lots of practice.

He spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

First Bass posted:

The first time I ever saw Cable I wondered if his robot arm could transform into a boombox that blasts Journey

That would be amazing and legitimately improve the character.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Guy why did you steal Gambit's clothes

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Davros1 posted:

The first story arc in the G.I. Joe comic from IDW had Cobra creating a teleport system (like the cartoon!), which included a base on the moon. But luckily, the Joes managed to destroy Cobra's equipment, once and for all!

And the issue ended with a shot of the moon's surface, and of Cobra personnel etching the words "Help Us" in the dust.

:stare: That is some grim poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's even better because right after Kristoff questions Doom's decision in refusing. Kristoff didn't agree and still just flowed right into burning the hell out of Namor.

Not every day you get the chance to ice burn Namor.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Killer Croc is black, so Batman is not only racist but also speciest

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Woman's got a point there. Only one person in that room with a PhD and it's not Mister Fate.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

Comics have shown us that mastering one thing instantly makes you amazing with everything else remotely related to that field. Sort of how Lex Luthor went to business school and suddenly became the world's leading expert on genetics :pseudo:

It's more like "being smart" is a superpower and once you have it you're super smart at everything, isn't it?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Then again dude was creating sentient AI in the 60s. Given how much Computer Science has progressed since then that's like learning someone made a working helicopter during the Iron Age.

It flies so well, only problem is that from time to time the automated weapons systems lock on to civilians! :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

drat Thor lay off the donuts

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's the Buddha, not God :argh:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anora posted:

I could have sworn there was one proverb in one religion that was basically what she said, was it Buddhism? Wasn't it basically a test to find out if something was a true god, like try to kill him, because if he's a god, he won't die or something.

The point is that the Buddha is not a physical being, so the Buddha you meet on the road is a representation of your attachment to the idea of Buddha as an outward thing instead of being a mental thing inside yourself and you need to get rid of it.

Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Slashrat posted:

The sayings could do with being phrased in a way where misunderstanding them doesn't lead to actual violence.

If you meet the Buddha on the road pointedly look away and refuse to talk to him