Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

sticksy posted:

I vividly recall this issue as a kid and looking back now, think it mildly traumatized me for how nihilistic it was.

e: What If #25... The Marvel Super Heroes Had Lost Atlantis Attacks? :

My favorite utterly nihilistic What If is the one where Korvac wins, takes over the world, then decides to impose his order on the rest of the universe. At the end, all the alien empires and cosmic powers have allied against him, but he refuses to surrender, and instead uses the Ultimate Nulifier, and erases the entire universe. For once, even the Watcher seems taken aback in his narration by how badly things went in that timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cassa posted:

Ruin isn't helped by ending early because the art team went through some poo poo. Maybe it wouldn't have been quite so mean spirited with a little more to it?

Really? I always assumed the abrupt ending was intentionally extremely black humor, that this is such a lovely world even the narrator drops dead...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah I don't know, her track record up to that point was, I believe, leading a team featuring the likes of the mighty Beef and then getting all of them killed. I liked her development throughout Gen X for what it was but I feel like any precedent of her being a pedagogical whiz or especially good mutant talent scout was just wishful thinking.

Well, to be fair, at that point she was pretty much the only character who'd actually made an effort to run a mutant school as an actual school, rather than just throwing teenagers into the murder room every other day and saying it was 'training'.

I mean, she wasn't great at it, but at least she was pretending to be an actual teacher.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

AoA is my favorite comics alternate universe. Yeah, it was kind of grimdark but the alternate paths the characters took were all interesting and none of them felt really out of place for them. I should go back and reread all that.

One of the things I appreciated about AoA was that it was dystopian, but it wasn't completely doomed. Magneto's X-Men were winning small victories here and there, there were mentions that they'd taken down previous Horsemen, the human resistance in Europe was keeping Apocalypse at bay. It felt like a universe where things were going badly, but there was still some hope, and that made it have more impact. Stuff like Old Man Logan is a lot harder to take seriously because it's just 'everything that could go wrong does go wrong' and it feels cartoonishly over-the-top.

(I also have a lot of affection for it because one of my first comics was an AoA tie-in, part of a random bundle of issues I was given, so for a few years I just assumed X-Men was always a post-apocalyptic story...)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:eng101: Immortality and invincibility are not the same thing! Make sure you double-check the fine print on which one you're getting when you make pacts with otherworldly entities!

The original example of this is Tithonus in Greek mythology who got eternal life... but not eternal youth.