Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Issue 25 of Exiles was set on a world where Tony Stark had killed virtually everyone, was the ruler of earth and trying to capture the Inhumans to breed a race of supermen who could conquer the galaxy.

He's with Sue Storm in that world, and talks through frowns and props:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Doom cares about the environment

And keeping up appearances

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The Wesley Gibson wiki page is amazingly terribly written. Go read it, you'll have fun. An excerpt:

Reading that whole mess then getting down to "Wesley's appearance is modelled on the rapper Eminem." gave me a solid belly laugh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, people have unironically argued for concentration camps for people with AIDS, along with religious right nutjobs saying AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality.

Yeah, pretty much pick a right winger from the 80's and you'll find those comments. Of course they were at the same time staunchly defending Apartheid, so hey, mutants get to be metaphors for lots of things.

Speaking of, here's Cyclops and Havok wrasslin' from X-tinction Agenda, when Genosha was enslaving and getting all concentration camp-y with the Mutants from that era (I think this is where Havok ended up after going through the Seige Perilous?)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best was when mutants were a standin for the homeless and mentally ill and then they got tired of that so they drowned them all.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zombie Dachshund posted:

They are ridiculously, hilariously overmuscled. But maybe that's just the 90s.

Yeah, it was a 90's thing. I remember saving off those two pages because for the past like twenty years Wolverine had been calling Cyclops "slim" and then the 90's happened or I guess maybe Scott took the whole "wife was a clone who became a demon thing" awfully hard and hit the gym like every other mid 30's divorcee.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Or does Deerdevil just exist in that universe?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

Ultimatum is the one where The Blob eats Janet at some point, right?

Yeah, I had only heard people complain about it for years so I just read the first two issues and it's quite frankly one of the worst written books, terribly paced, difficult to tell what's going on, and has death after death occur for no reason with no tension or reason. It's just trash.

Like 3 pages after Blob is eating Janet, it just cuts to a random scene between Xavier and Magneto where Xavier calls him worse then pol pot or hitler then Magneto leans over and snaps his neck. and now to start issue 3 We just get a random list of like a dozen random heroes who died, and now everyone's just shooting hundreds of Madrox clone suicide bombers, I quit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Samuringa posted:

Looks cool but I have no idea what happened.

Alita challenges the reigning Motorball champion for martial arts reasons, and he accepts, but requires that she form a team of five to face him because he's so transcendent he requires a massive handicap.

She forms a team of all the notable people from her last race, and at the beginning of their match the champion just effortlessly obliterates her team.

As you said, it's a rad sequence but manga tends to fail without the context

The first guy there with the razor whips is a pretty goofy character who is very 90's comic badass:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As did Dial M for Monkey against Macho Man

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It's varied quite a bit. Without his glasses it's sometime a beam from his eyeballs and sometimes everything in the front 170ish degrees in front of him is hosed.

Sometimes he'd also lift his sunglasses and cheat at pool. Gotta love that early Claremont era where part of Cyclops' mutant power was being good at math. The least badass thing possible.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jubilee, drunk on power, that sound her power makes from the 90's cartoon deafening pierced by screams as she mows down anti-mutant demonstrators. "Happy 4th of July" she mutters through a punisher like grimace.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Prior to Gen X, in New Mutants she was running a rival school for young mutants. They were basically the mutant equivalent of the Cobra Kai, but it was an actual school.

And look how that ended. Her team gets wiped out by mutant hunting killbots.
Put down those text books and get back to the paramilitary training nerds.

Man, I'm shitposting and realize that's exactly what Cable did to the New Mutants when he showed up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PoptartsNinja posted:

lamest mutant huge guy

Hello I would like to nominate the extremely unfortunate Axe from that time the New Mutants went to visit Sunspot's dad. He's a mutant who works for the hellfire club as a mercenary and his power is: has an axe.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

New Mutants had lot of these guys, one's power was having a wooden stick if I recall right. Other had, wait a minute...four arms. Evolution truly running amok.

The Mutant Liberation Front which Forearm was part of had another short lived member named Kamikaze.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Toshimo posted:

Do you have the extremely-Rob-Leifeld panel of them all where it's like every bad Leifeldian habit all in 1 panel?

I think that's every panel involving the MLF. Comparatively few pouches though!

Man, googling for that reminded me that they had a fat guy named Sumo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thinking about the Mutant Liberation Front reminded me of the most proto-Image comics rear end team from that era of X-men comics.

Apocalypse's Dark Riders:

I have no idea if they ever showed up outside of as quickly dispatched cannon fodder during the X-cutioner's Song crossover, but seriously, look at these guys, you can practically smell the Chrome Variant Cover bagged with trading card.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah! The Nasty Boys had a few interesting appearances, like that early X-Factor run where they mostly just sat around slumming in an apartment.

And Magneto's Acolyte's put in some good work too that I can remember.

Now, the Upstarts, woooooof.

My run of reading comics as a kid pretty much started with the glory days of the X-teams facing off against the likes of the Hellions, Technet, Freedom Force, Marauders and Reavers and ended with the Upstarts killing off most of the Hellions and Reavers. womp womp.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 18, 2020

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I saved off these pages for another thead the other day so here with tastefully censored out birthing hog:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Supersonic Shine posted:

This reminds me of the time he stood up against Champion now matter how badly he was beat down, which in turn inspired one of my favorite Dexter's Laboratory episodes. The Thing taking a licking and keeping on kicking never gets old.

You can taste how hard they were emulating.... Rocky

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

yeah, one of the early arcs in Excalibur was about her taking time away to go to a boarding school that had her intimidate some bullies with her ninja moves. Then it turns out she had to become a cheerleader and she and the bullies had to defeat Fenris to save the school? Probably not worth revisiting come to think about it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patrick Spens posted:

Nazi twins getting shitkicked by a girls field hockey team is absolutely worth it.

I just dug it up and the first issue starts with genderswapped Excalibur beating up Nazis, so okay, yeah, you're right.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

You'll get a second Joker who will name himself the Jokest.

Steel Joker, Cyborg Joker, Jokerboy and a fake Joker but who kidnapped and regenerated the real Joker to steal his power.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

John Dyne posted:

The only X member this doesn't apply to is Beak. I mean, even Cypher could like.. figure out the Marvel equivalent of the Anti-Life Equation. But Beak?

"Oh god he's so terrible and ugly everyone is dying of laughter."

Beak is so good at making friends that he'd just ask really nicely and have one of the other omega threats do it.

Omega level charisma powers yo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The annual story with Plastic Man in Injustice was absolutely fantastic.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It rains like a dozen times a year in Cairo, so if Storm's knifing people that way, it's not very subtle.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

RIP to a real one; George Perez.

As a kid this image was seared into my mind knowing this was gonna be epic

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spider man: Listen, my DNA was literally mutated by....

<Magneto ostentatiously controls a big stamp to put a comically large REJECTED on his application.>

C'MON MAN, I TAUGHT AT YOUR SCHOOL.

Cut to a bar where he's commiserating with Daredevil and Luke Cage

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seriously though I do love it when Thanos is forced to deal with the realization that yeah you self-sabotage because you think you don't deserve a hot goth girlfriend.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The best Hulk is chad Hulk when he was Bruce's idealized version of himself and allied with an anti-American revolutionary force fighting against-Fictional Middle Eastern country.

From that bit in Peter David's Hulk / X-Factor crossover, this is probably from Hulk 391-ish, and was so very 90's

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's also funny if you just imagine Puck doing all that stuff in that absolutely godawful costume he ran around in when he was in Alpha Flight.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Y'know, call me crazy but I think I know how she's gonna end that sentence.

Zaid! Zaid!, he's our man, if he can't do it, no one can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

25 years later and everyone's gone from psychoanalyzing Shinji to Gendo. We're old.