Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The worst thing about that entire stupid plot was that editorial never sat down with the writers and defined what the Act was. So everyone had a different idea and most were bloody terrible.

It varied from - "if you have powers and wish to use them to help people you must go through approved training and be registered or you will be arrested" all the way to "If you have powers and don't join our jackbooted stormtroopers we will send people to eat your arm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Couldn't he just turn back to flesh and knee Magneto in the balls?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or he could just make him hover in mid air. Not much he could do there, either.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

zoux posted:

Oh no how will intergalactic badass Captain Marvel deal with the threat that is some sharks.

And why is she wearing flippers?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Question IRL posted:

So over in the Avenger's thread people wer talking about how great Baron Zemo's portrayal was in Avengers Undercover (that's the sequel series to Avengers Arena, a series that many people hated because it punched them in the kidneys.)

And it was pretty good. Zemo was an OG in this one, sporting a slightly redesigned look (which is pretty full on Fascistic it must be said) but being really compatnent and having an overall goal that wasn't just rule the world but more "smash the system!" He also managed to salvage a lot by the end of the system.

Anyway, I loved this moment from Avengers Undercover #4.

There's a lot to love there, not just that cool speach or how Zemo has his dinner table surrounded with Gold Bullion, just cause.

But my favourite part is where the smart alecy teen heroes try pulling a "what you want us to be super villains and rob banks, that's so lame and old. You're old MAN!" Zemo is completely sincere and honest that they don't have to join his bank robbing or Moon Base divisions. It's the notions that Zemo 100% un-ironically has a Moon Base with a Death Laser, like that's just an expected part of your operation.

Well, I'll be picking this up now.

The last time I read Zemo he was going on a character building trip through time. Looks like he learned something. That said, this is comics and every single goddamn time someone has extended their hand to a group of young, superpowered people saying, "I just want to make the world better. Help me." things have gone to poo poo in less than half a dozen books when it turns out they're actually making some deadly virus or have planted nukes or some poo poo.

I really want to see a book explore what the world looks like when you work for a supervillain who genuinely believes he's out to do good and things don't immediately turn to poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Say Nothing posted:

Evil Fantastic Four apparently killed some Marvel heroes as well. Captain America's shield was among their weapons, also possibly the infinity gauntlet and maybe Thor's hammer?

It also inspired this great edit:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wish Dr. Strange dressed like that all the time. It would make New Avengers an even better book.

When he's in the Defenders, he can borrow a pair from Namor.

And I just realised that, of all the originals (Strange, Namor and Hulk), he's the only one who wears a full set of clothes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Remember every lovely crossover you have ever read?

Planetary/Batman: Night On Earth is NOT one of those crossovers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Heresiarch posted:

Having Snow defeat the most powerful members of the Four before they can do anything by using what was essentially an archaeological ambush seemed to me like the perfect way to show Snow's better understanding of his role as a rescuer of secrets, as well as the perfect comeuppance for Randall "I know everything" Downling. He took out the other two from ambush as well.

Thematically it worked very well, and I loved that Snow defeated Mr Fantastic by outsmarting him. But the fact that he killed two people by making them fall to their deaths when they had just been shown to be wearing antigravity boots has always bugged the hell out of me.

mind the walrus posted:

I extend an olive branch and you immediately stick your nose up in the air like a pompous little poo poo? Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Is there something wrong with your brain?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I really miss that She Hulk run. It was so drat fun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TwoPair posted:

Midnighter #1:

Please tell me the Midnighter is back to being a violent murdering psychopath again?

When they closed Wildstorm I just stopped caring.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DigitalRaven posted:

If I could find Death's musical number, I'd post that entire drat sequence both here and in funny panels.

To be fair, "hope" isn't really something Mega-City One's been big on. They have revenge, dressed up by fascists in the terms of "justice". It's why Dredd is a protagonist, not a hero.

One of my favourite Dredd progs was just a dozen or so pages revolving around an apparent accident at a heart clinic which releases a plume of incredibly deadly curare and kills something like 3000 people. I don't know if it's okay to post a full prog, no matter how short, but it really cements just what Dredd is.

Brutal, heartless, the law above all. Even life.

Or, to quote one of his old enemies - "There ain't no justice. Just us."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

WickedHate posted:

What's the problem?

He was lying in a hospital bed with severe injuries. Was unarmed and no further threat to anyone. Couldn't even talk.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Flesh Forge posted:

My personal favorite Hank Pym moment

My other favourite Pym/Richards moment:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Toshimo posted:

You want to know how to take down a villain like a total badass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJq2PAI-Fxc

I really don't like the title of this video. The person who made that title completely 100% missed what the Flash was doing there.

He wasn't tricking the Trickster, he was being a kind and decent human being who genuinely cared about the guy and wanted him to get better.