Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't think Galactus was dead though. Just had the poo poo kicked out of him. Franklin made a whole universe to feed him in preparation for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That was the arc where a bunch of telepaths made everyone crazy right? That was awesome.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

East of West #10. This comic has been consistently brilliant. I especially love how Wolf is drawn in the second panel of the first page here.

I love the laser horse so much.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Didn't someone make him lovely again though?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

There are. Fraction had a Tenth World which were a bunch of blue guys who killed other worlds. Balder banished them to limbo and spends all his time hunting them down.

I didn't think they were a 'realm' the way Asgard and the various helms were. I thought they were from somewhere outside and got in through the void where Asgard (realm) had been.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I love that Peter David wrote that basically as a big baby gently caress you to Erik Larsen. Completely jobs the gently caress out of Doc Ock, reverts him from the three piece suit/lab coat Larsen put him in back into the fat guy green suit, then to top it off, straight up steals "the finger" joke from Larsen's spidey issue.

The David/Larsen feud definitely had its moments.

The finger that killed Doc Ock.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

She's just asking the wrong doctor.

Nemesis would science the *gently caress* out of that door.

Whoever had the idea to make Warren Ellis into a character should get some kind of award.

The Question IRL posted:

Reed Richards once admitted that Hank is indeed a master of many fields of science. So much so that it would take Reed a solid two weeks to become as good as Hank in his various disciplines.

I think it was just Pym particles.

Poor Pym. Did they ever officially declare that his becoming "Scientist Supreme" in Avengers Academy was a hallucination or it just being regular ignored?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That Batman is Thomas Wayne from Flashpoint right?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I thought something implied that some of them weren't actually from Earth 2 2. I only read like the first 8 or so E-2 books though then started picking up this new numbered series.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

New Leaf posted:

I'm not super familiar with current Marvel stuff- is that Captain Marvel throwing Hulk from space? I'm going to need some context here.

Yes. She's throwing him at Starbrand. Hickman's Avengers run is super good.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

Oh, so the regular Marvel universe got its own White Event and generated its own set of archetypes, I see.

It is so far just a Nightmask and a Starbrand. But the machine is currently broken because of other things happening in Hickman's run so this White Event happened/is happening wrong. The Nightmask is a perfect human created by an alien gardener on Mars just because that's the kind of thing he does.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hickman is really great at this. Wow. I wonder if he set that up in anticipation of not getting to use full power thor.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't even notice that when I read it. Nice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Something to do with deep ocean pressure blah blah.

The upshot is he planned the gently caress out of this. Has Final Crisis happened in new 52? Because this is a pretty creative use of the death that is life but I'm not sure if Batman is supposed to know how it works.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The dead man got caught halfway in a localized dimension shift where in one dimension he was already dead. The guy doing it can't control it so throughout the issue we see different incarnations of Batman including DKR Batman, whatever that first one is supposed to be, and this:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
:glomp:

I love Planetary so much I bought it in single issues, trades, and every payday I have to forcibly stop myself from buying the Omnibus.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

When you buy the Omnibus, the very first thing you should do is look under the dust jacket.

The cover of the book under the jacket is printed to look like one of Snow's old Planetary Guides.

Goddamnit now I have to buy it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is thor dead?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I saw the lightning in her mouth and that got me wondering (though it's probably been answered a million times), is Storm flat out immune to stuff like electricity and temperature changes as a side effect of her mutation? If so, does that apply to other mutants as well or is it a case-by-case sort of thing?

Her control allows to her to redirect lightning around herself to a limited extent and shape the weather most immediate to her skin, but another person with control powers can then direct effects at her that she can't necessarily stop. I'm pretty sure Iceman can freeze her directly before she can make it super hot out.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just keep comparing that to "YOU FORGOT TO REMOVE MY FINGERNAILS DUMMY" and this is so, so much better.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

This always makes me laugh. Why would the Thing, or anybody really, care if the Thing's face got slashed up? He's already supposed to be an ugly inhuman monster. It's similar to the Abomination, who at one time got dumped into toxic waste and who should have called himself Abominationer afterwards.

It probably left him physically more vulnerable there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Chinaman7000 posted:

Wait.... So you're saying he's like a life model decoy???????? I don't follow.

I don't want to speak for him but I think he's saying that it glorifies Tommy Lee Jones in A Few Good Men. Jessup thinks he is this Nick Fury.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Man Odinson is just the best guy when he gets over his petty bullshit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Brian K Vaughn writes good poo poo.

The finale of We Stand on Guard.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

That is terrible and you should feel terrible that you posted it. I'm genuinely disappointed in Brian K. Vaughn for writing that Millar/Miller-wannabe page.

Man, I loved the whole thing. It's an absolutely trite and way too on the nose analogy for a modern issue slapped with a sci-fi veneer of giant mechs and guerilla arctic wilderness combat. It's the perfect Miller style movie bait scifi story. I just grab a bowl of popcorn and watch. From the long tradition of Avatar, In Time, and Godzilla

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is that multicolor thing new for him? I got bored of DC again after Blackest Night.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This page is just beautiful

It's been a while since I read it, was this GG Norman?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hasn't Wolverine said drowning is one of the things that can outright kill him? His healing factor can't create oxygen.

I think it came up as a way to kill daken in UFX.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I will cut you

WHAT IS HE LOOKING AT

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Pls post the Thing thing because I have no idea what the gently caress you guys are on about and it sounds like a badass panel and oops look what thread we are in.

Quick backstory When 616 was destroyed some people got on a life raft. Sue, Ben, and Johnny, and the kids fell off the raft into oblivion but Doom saved them. He pulled some memory rewrites and now Sue is his wife, Johnny is Battleworld's sun, and Ben is the Shield, a giant wall sectioning the southern 1/3rd or so of battleworld off from the rest, where the annihilation wave, ultrons, and zombies all fight to overrun the shield and the world. Thanos comes to town and reveals some of this to Ben Grimm....

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

site posted:

What happened next was so completely underwhelming after that setup

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/12/19/the-thing-vs-galactus-secret-wars/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Incase it isn't clear, that's a world tree.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's amazing how satisfying those pages are when without context they're pointless nonsense.

Even with context. That's part of what makes them so great.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I mean, the actual A-bomb test had Oppenheimer spontaneously quoting the Bhagavad Gita. Brilliant scientists are frequently widely read.

Well, now they have the internet so I wonder if that might change.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's not Mystique.
:goonsay:

It's the boring aquagirl from Hope's squad.

Rockslide will always be the best.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Why didn't he kill it?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Horrible Taste posted:

That was only in the 70's and it was Sif merging with Jane to save Jane's life, Jane later transforming into Sif (like Blake turned into Thor) and the writer forgetting to have her transform back for months. Then they retconned it so they never actually merged and Jane was just sent to another dimension because of the staff they used.

Was she sent to the microverse like Janet Pym?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

prefect posted:

I don't care if it's not cool to like Warren Ellis any more; I still think he's great. :)

He released a weird and scary book recently. It's cool and good. He also was great on Moon Knight, and Injection is pretty awesome even if I have no idea what's going on.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Moon Knight (2014) #5

X-O posted:

I'm not going to buy another Ellis book until it has some collections out.

:same: but buy his real book. It's a lot better than his other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

I've read Crooked Little Vein (deviant amusement) and Gun Machine (clever crime fiction), how does Normal compare to them?

It's about futurism and a special retreat for people who get a bad case of abyss gaze. It feels familiar but none of the swearing and punching.