Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite interpretation of Joker has always been that he's a little bit crazy but acts way crazier for attention and to prove some nonsense point about society. Like in the Animated Series, when he'd make some grand soliloquy about chaos and then when his plan goes to poo poo he'd just cut out like any two bit villain, dropping the crazy act immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lNW3jNbig

In that clip, it's because he was terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mind the walrus posted:

Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock fights really are in the AAA tier of superhero match-ups. Doc Ock has a clear edge making Spider-man's victories feel all the sweeter, but it isn't so great that you wonder how the hell Spider-Man could possibly win without contrivance (see Sandman, Hydro-Man). Their powers also compliment each other really nicely with Doc Ock's tentacles and Spidey's acrobatics creating a near-infinite variety of cool poses and sequences. Spider-man v. Goblins is up there, but in terms of raw cool factor Doc Ock really is his greatest enemy.

Agreed. On all fronts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Schneider Heim posted:

I never liked Spidey vs Goblin fights, I keep thinking why doesn't Goblin just fly out of range of Spidey's attacks, but it would be admittedly a boring thing to read, so...

I feel the same about the Vulture. Just...fly away and shoot him or something.

Ock is just a great counterpart to Spidey. He's a physical combatant with enormous reach, one who can keep up with Spidey's speed simply because he can do multiple things at once.

I've always liked Ultimate Ock a lot, in particular.

Here he is, trashing new york after beating Spidey unconscious:

His evolution as a villain is one of my favorite things about the series.

Edit: Source is Ultimate SpiderMan, but I'm not 100% sure on the issue. Somewhere in the "Hollywood" trade. Volume 10.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 26, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Uthor posted:

Was Ultimate Doc Ock the one who could control his arms from a distance?

Yes. I posted some strips on the previous page.

That later evolved into he could control the metal mentally and he starts clobbing together arms from random stuff in a sort of Magneto-ish way.

He's had a pretty good evolution in Ultimate SpiderMan that goes a long way towards explaining how he's still a threat even though power levels and lethality have gone up.

I'm so glad they ditched Osborn in favor of Ock in USM.

I haven't read anything since Ultimatum so maybe Osborn comes back, but I hope not.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gwen and origin characters aren't coming back they are to important as dead.

Bucky is the only important dead character to come back to life and that is because no one gives a gently caress about Captain America.

Bucky's return was also very well done.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That Ignorant Sap posted:

To continue the Black bolt train...

Wolverine #71 / Old Man Logan #6

What If v6 #1 Planet Hulk

Pretty much anything from Planet Hulk or WWH could go in this thread. There's a lot of great stuff there. Planet Hulk especially.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

zoux posted:

Man, where did this Deodato go?

Isn't he the guy that did that one really good Thunderbolts arc where Norman finally snaps and pulls out the Goblin costume?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope to God I get to see Ares on the MCU one day.

Agreed. Ares is the best.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm still disappointed that nobody thought to call Boar Thor, Bhor.

Thoar

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ultimate Spider-Man is a really good series, overall. There are a few low points (the Deadpool arc was awful!), but overall, it's great. Ultimate JJJ is just one of many good things in the series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, Killing Joke is my favorite too

Holy poo poo lol

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Elfface posted:

And on a DC note, given that Green Lantern costumes are projected by the ring, I wonder how often Guy Gardner showed up freeballin'...

I think we all know the answer to that...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Unlucky7 posted:

Badass Panels: Pretty much just arguing about Garth Ennis

Can someone please post a page of Thor punching Galactus in the dick or something?

Badass Panels: Pretty much just Thor: God of Thunder

Exact issue unknown, found it by googling. My gut says its Thor: GoT 20 or 21 or thereabouts.

I wouldn't mind seeing that whole sequence if anyone's got it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also there's no fuckin' way I'd put Joe on my name badge if I had the option to put Dredd there instead.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zil posted:

But if it was against regulations there is no way Dredd would do that. So if the regs say you put Joe, he would wear Joe.

If it were against regulations then there wouldn't be the option.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I was totally into that scene until the so far. Now it's so bad it's funny. It is frankly so bad it belongs up there with that Punisher 2099 scene where, when asked how old he is, Frank says "38....caliber!"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

davidspackage posted:

I hear that balloon in the Lego Batman voice.

Yeah, this checks out.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

That is a really metal abode. :megadeath:

The whole comic is metal as gently caress. My favorite page is still when 6 Juggernaut Star Scours the Universe makes his intro on a skele-cycle

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-10/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thor is always best when it is metal as gently caress.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fat Cobra was too good for this world.

Has he ever shown up outside of that particular run and its immediate spin-offs?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh wow, I never realized the early appearance of that red longnose demon guy there :allears:

A lot of cameo appearances turn up again later. (or the opposite, where old characters make cameos in the background to remind you that they're still around, but not 100% relevant at the moment)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Phy posted:

(Although in the later IDW comics, there was a diagnosed psychiatric disorder among Autobots called Primus Apotheosis, wherein the sufferer is driven to paint themselves red and blue with truck windows for a chest, clamp a faceplate over their mouth, and in the worse cases, sacrifice their life at the earliest opportunity for even the most remotely noble cause.)

That's loving hilarious.

What's the equivalent in Marvel comics? Dying your hair red and choosing a fire/bird motif?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fat Cobra would probably lose some of his luster as a main character, unless a really good writer was involved.

It's like Dr. Dinosaur from Atomic Robo. He's hilarious and amazing every time he shows up, but he doesn't have much range beyond that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Skwirl posted:

Out of curiosity, how many demons has she actually killed so far?

In a metaphorical sense, lots. This comic is all about facing your inner demons while engaging in incredible amounts of gratuitous violence

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Suleman posted:

After a brutal, but surprisingly even fight:

gently caress yeah, Michelangelo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are we still talking about King Arthur, because everyone should be reading Once and Future, which is mainly about how the old tales are far more horrible than we tell them.

This is awesome

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

habeasdorkus posted:

Abbadon has been killing it with KSBD, we're 50 pages into a fuckoff huge fight sequence and he keeps managing to up the ante.

50+ pages into a fuckoff huge fight sequence that followed a goddamn kung fu tournament arc that was like 50% fuckoff huge fight sequences

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How Wonderful! posted:

That arc was a ton of fun, he really made Dr. Octopus' arms look menacing in a way nobody really had before. Say what you will about some of the narrative elements of the whole thing but I think his Doc Ock is one of the great comic book glow ups of the 90s.

Statements like this always make me curious. I'm familiar with Doc Ock, but I'm not familiar with the before/after on how his arms looked and were portrayed. I just love seeing and learning this kind of thing.

Is there any way you could throw together a quick example?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TwoPair posted:

The coat is pretty obviously attempting to evoke Alfred Molina's Doc Ock from Spider-Man 2, but unfortunately it makes it look like they're all coming out of his stomach, which... ew. I like how the tentacles themselves look though.

Ultimate Doc Ock has the tentacles front-mounted on a big girdle thing. So they kinda are coming from his stomach.

It's probably the worst part of the character, who I otherwise find to be one of the best incarnations of the character.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Tim Sale also did all the artwork for the artist character from the show Heroes if anyone remembers that show.

The first half or two-thirds of the first season is pretty good. There was a good mystery, the slow reveal of powers was fun, and Sylar was a decent villain.

It was never great, but it had a lot of promise. Then it went exactly nowhere.

I would love for someone to revisit it with modern, for-streaming show standards. Especially shorter seasons to limit the amount of filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Was that Ultimatum and the wave that kills half of New York City? Cause if so, yah that was dumb. They killed off DareDevil and Doctor Strange after some pretty interesting tweaks of the characters for the Ultimate Universe.

The only good thing that came out of that was, unsurprisingly, in Ultimate Spider-Man. There's an absolutely amazing sequence following JJJ as he sees Spiderman saving people over and over and over.

For all I know someone's posted those panels in another BSS thread recently. I haven't caught up on the panels threads in a few weeks. But if they haven't, it would be great to see them again.