Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Onmi posted:

but gently caress it, Civil War and its fallout were dumb.

No kidding. Aside from a reference or two in Alpha Flight there's been no mention of any effects with the U.S's relations with other countries over Civil War, the Registration Act (Canada had it passed in 1995, the only physical fight over it was Puck having a bar fight in Halifax. Seriously), or the Initiative. Interesting idea, lousy execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Phy posted:

Man, Canada really IS evil in Marvel, isn't it?

Actually, no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registration_acts_%28comics%29#1993_Canadian_Super-powers_Registration_Act

Whoops, I got a couple of the details wrong. 1993 not '95, and there's some debate about whether it's been repealed by Parliament (Brevoort says it must have been at some point, while Oeming's Omega Flight's characters mention the registration act going on for years, without stuff like being hunted down and the "42" super prison.) So I'd imagine it's more like "Sure, you can fire blasts from your hands or control small mammals with your mind, but if you want to actually do something with that power get a license. If you don't we'll write you a ticket, and I'll shake my finger at you very sternly.":canada:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Or when Cap refused to support it, and was attacked for professing his opinion.

I still say that mightygodking's edit of the Captain America/Sally Floyd rant post-surrender is canon. :colbert:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wasn't that the series that ended with Cap being proved wrong because he never used myspace?

See: the Mightygodking's aforementioned edit. http://mightygodking.com/2010/06/17/from-the-moldering-portion-of-the-vaults/

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Alacron posted:

Oh goodness it's like watching the Na'vi from Avatar getting their asses kicked. :allears:

Which makes it even more awesome in my eyes. I think this would be an appropriate quote:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Alacron posted:

I think it's a pretty awesome speech, but only in a meta-sense in that it's more of a response to absurdly Utopian "harmony with nature" societies that pop up in things like Avatar and Dungeons & Dragons.

That was pretty much the intention. Avatar was gorgeous, but I fell into the trap of thinking about it too much afterward. Another good treatment of the Fair Folk is in Terry Prattchett's Lords and Ladies, where elves are presented as a wholly alien Other. Shadowrun really cemented the opinion of "Elves are massive cockbags, really." in my mind. [/derail]

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Don't know exactly what issue of Saga these are from (I have the trades on Comixology and I wasn't keeping track, plus these aren't my scans), but holy loving poo poo:

The Will confirmed best character

Lying.:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

There was one member from 616, the rest were all alternate reality types. Kurt Waggoner was an American-born teenage Nightcrawler from a reality where humanity had been wiped out in a robot uprising, hence that scene. There was also James Howlett from a reality where he was an officer of some Canadian service, and his bones were plated with adamantine, the metal of the gods from Greek mythology, which turned out to be a gift from his secret boyfriend, Hercules.

They were the most adorable and badass bears in comic book history, and it was sad to see the series end.

That's Governor-General of the Dominion of Canada:canada:, James Howlett, thank you. It means he was the direct representative of the Crown in Canadian Parliament. Technically, he was in charge of the country, and the Prime Minister had to get his approval, or Royal Assent, to any legislation he wanted to pass into law. It's a pretty big deal.

Sorry.