Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's nothing badass about a psychopathic killer alien effortlessly slaughtering everyone within tendril's reach while verbally stroking himself :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's not petty, that's nostalgic. He's like "Ah man, now that's the Earth I remember! It just wouldn't be the same without some shiny bug trying to sting me before I stick my paw in the honeycomb."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I would've preferred that mighty Kwinn survived...

I thought he was going to blow himself up on Dr. Venom's tank, thus ruining its Cobra Blue camoflage and letting Snake Eyes target it through his mind control in a Robocop-like twist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vincent posted:

From Daredevil - Road Warrior (digital comic) #2
Context: Daredevil jumps on to the roof of a car being driven by a man he's chasing. Suddenly 3 guys on motorcycles appear and start shooting them.

"For you, the day Daredevil saved you from motorcycle ninjas by jumping a train was the greatest day of your life. For me, it was Tuesday."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What I'm gathering from all of this is evidence for this issue, if not this period, of Power Girl to be discussed in the Worst Runs thread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

It's actually heavily well-regarded and is seen as the best run for the character.

So far all I've seen is loads of T&A, a hero blasting someone's arm off to show they mean SERIOUS BUSINESS and the hideously overused glowing heat vision rage-eyes on a Super-person trope. The high point of a nadir ain't that impressive.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redbackground posted:

And I had such high hopes for you.

If the book is generally much better than this outlier, I'd love to see some of that. It's hard not to feel a little jaded after seeing some of the hallmarks of one of DC's worst (i.e. current) eras appear in a supposedly great run on a character that already has a history of being mishandled.

Also I realize judging a whole book by a few pages is really dumb and I'm a dumb dumbo.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

One Punch Man is pretty much keyframes for animation at this point, I don't see the problem.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, as someone who likes Doom the not-complete-monster, I'm still much more inclined to take that as Doom managed to bullshit the god of seeing through lies than I am as Doom legitimately having altruistic motives.

Yes, the most interesting Doom is the Doom who truly believes he has altruistic motives, because his intellect is matched only by his ego and he's actually convinced himself that he's the hero of his own life story. He's the ultimate product of an ends-justify-the-means mentality, the monster who wears a cloak of humanity. Waid just decided to express that more literally.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:drat: When did Moon Knight go from weird magical diet Batman to... this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MM DLC that added his arcade ending mentions him faking his death or going into hiding as the Atlantean archivist so it doesn't really contradict what we saw in his Year One appearance.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

The dude looks so bored watching those two fight it out.

He's not the only one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man, not posting pics cause the entire issue counts as badass, but Injustice Year Two #22 just made me yell "HOLY gently caress".

When the writers are on, man they are loving ON.

This is a pretty impressive evil badass moment, because it shows how far down the rabbit hole the character's gone with a minimum of gore and bodycount but maximum :tviv: twist factor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, I think it looks pretty silly, but I hate Captain Britain's stupid helmet and boots too, and everyone loves those.

(The rest of the costume is awesome, and I think there's a reason McKelvie's original design doesn't have the mask. He's really good at this sort of thing, so don't mess with it.)

Yeah, sorry but the horse mane is uggo and the rest of the mask looks like it belongs on a nu52 Dark Flash.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think we've reached peak power creep when characters are casually tossing off powers and abilities that overreach the most extreme limits of known physics. Doing blatantly inexplicable stuff like flying and reading minds is one thing, but now they're just wiping their asses with the things the rest of us rely on for a stable spacetime continuum :argh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love what one goon once posted about that, paraphrased: "Darkseid went through all three of his poses on one page, I believe that counts as fidgeting."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Not as egregious as the examples you posted, but every X-Man can become a teacher by having lived in a school for a bit.

At least in that case you can assume they're being accredited offscreen and we aren't seeing it because it's boring minutiae compared to their adventures, it's not like you need multiple PhDs to teach kids. And do private schools even need formal qualification for their instructors?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

Did Havok ever manage to get his geology PhD?

According to the Marvel Comics Database, no. Also, in a vacuum that question sounds like a Seanbaby riff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Well obviously it should then be about one of the lesser known departments of SHIELD, namely cleanup duty. Because someone has to go out there and deal with all those things and it sure aint the heroes because they're too busy being heroes so that job falls to average Joes at the SHIELD Clean up - Exosphere department.

I would totally read a SHIELD Gravity special featuring decades of supervillain doomsday devices going off in LEO after the Red Skull spills coffee on his old Nazi space station V3 console or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't followed MK lore in ages, but it's good to see that it is still basically a soap opera with added spine-removal.

As all good games are.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't have any problem with how that fight went, but I think Taylor's dialogue would've been more personal and less the cliched (less generously, hackneyed) "I'm a better fighter!"/"This time I'm going ALL-OUT!" stuff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AdjectiveNoun posted:

That sounds like a hell of a lot of projection, honestly. The Batman>Superman idea is much more easily explained, and has been done so already on this page.

It's gonna be hell to find now that "Batman vs Superman" is a search term for a movie, but a year or two ago someone wrote an article about this and discovered that in actuality, most on-panel Bats/Supes fights are less "Batman totally pwns Superloser" and more "Batman uses a rare/one-shot advantage to hang in there until Superman comes to his senses, and usually admits that it was a stalling tactic at best". It's pretty much DKR alone (and that obnoxious "Batman with preptime > ANYBODY" meme) that's given everyone the perception that Bruce has a snowball's chance in hell of doing any serious damage to Clark.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dordreff posted:

Genuinely laughed out loud at Blackagar Boltagon's expression and ridiculous tube-shaped head.

T'Challa is the only person on that page who doesn't look effing absurd.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And really, so does the writing because it's expecting the audience to be dumb as gently caress to believe what Panther's saying there, or even believe that he believes it and can be fooled by Surfer putting on a show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In Ruins everything sucks because Warren Ellis is an immature shithead wherever capes are concerned.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

You are so dumb it's almost endearing. Almost.

I realized it was a gross generalization as soon as I typed it, but I don't care because really, gently caress Ruins.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love a villain who's got a practical backup weapon, because there always comes a time when your grandiose plans fail and your unstoppable powers are neutralized and then you just gotta cut someone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Test Pattern posted:

Relevant to this discussion:

Supposedly doing what you love for a living doesn't feel like work, but :wow:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Goddamn, that's bleak.

Also, give Red Hulk a bloody mustache already.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Planetary #7, not-Constantine discovers that the government is about to kill a pregnant prostiute on Christmas Eve:

Can we get a little more context here? I'm sure it's badass but without some setup it's a little vague in scale.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

He was capable of doing Doughnuts on the side of the Daily Bugle building during the Dan Slott Spider-man /Human Torch mini.

Stunt driving, totally different skillset.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

A certain popular badass manga is getting an animated series.

https://twitter.com/foo2333

Easiest comic to cartoon conversion ever, sometimes the panels communicate the sequential action beats so clearly they surpass storyboarding and become straight-up keyframes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bloodly posted:

God knows. Even Dark Knight Returns had Joker being smart more than a fighter, though he did break his own neck, which is....work.

It's like [whoever] saw Injustice and decided 'I want Joker to work like this'. It's....not the worst, I guess, but it misses the point. He's not the Clown Prince of Crime by being a thug, even if he's very capable of random, shocking violence meted out arbitrarily.

MK vs DC wasn't a particularly good game but the fighting style they made for Joker was perfect: a combination of really annoying low-damage slapstick, rhythm-breaking and space-controlling prank gags turned up to 11 and the occasional string of savage punishment out of nowhere. It was the essence of the character in videogame format.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Oh, that's not an unreasonable complaint, yea. Rogue's powers seem to work on everyone though, she had even stolen Thor's before so it's at least consistent.

Exactly, if Rogue can absorb from Thor I don't see why she can't from Juggernaut. One's a straight-up god, the other's just juicing off one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nah, that sounds British as gently caress.

willus posted:

do you mind nicking down to the brewery and picking me up a growler of their new pizzley on the way home, mate?

:britain: