Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The worst thing about that entire stupid plot was that editorial never sat down with the writers and defined what the Act was. So everyone had a different idea and most were bloody terrible.

It varied from - "if you have powers and wish to use them to help people you must go through approved training and be registered or you will be arrested" all the way to "If you have powers and don't join our jackbooted stormtroopers we will send people to eat your arm."

They could have even kept the arm eating thing, as a demonstration of the consequences of putting a group of barely restrained psychopaths; led by Norman Osborne of all people; in charge of cape hunting. Hell, maybe that's what they meant to do, but not enough effort was made to differentiate the Thunderbolts' actions from those of normal government authorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Aaaaaaand bookmarked.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

I always assumed his 'constant' level of optic blast is just strong enough to knock a dude down, but to get the building-destroying level ones he has to REALLY exert himself like flexing a muscle or something.

Except that every time someone knocks his visor off, he always manages to do a ton of damage to the scenery before he can even get his eyes closed. And that's when he's trying not to wreck poo poo.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Different guy. John Walker was recruited to be a replacement Cap well after Rogers was thawed out.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Should have been Hawkeye.

You think so?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Sorry, what is F.G., and will I be embarassed I didn't catch it when you tell me?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Alacron posted:

I'm not crazy about either of those references because they both seem to boil down to "MY character could totally kick this other character's rear end." Just kind of eye-rolling IMO.

Reading way too much into a simple homage. Creator A thinks Creator B's work is cool. Passing reference to Creator B's work appears in Creator A's work as a tribute to Creator B. There's nothing more going on here than "I like this stuff enough to include an overt reference to it in my work."

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Drifter posted:

The Ultimates was the first time we had Sam Jackson in the Fury role, right? Like, years before the movies? I don't even know the timelines for these things.

Sam Jackson gave Marvel permission to use his likeness for Ultimate Fury on the condition that, should they ever use Fury in a movie, the role would go to Jackson.

E: So that's how it feels.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Uthor posted:

So this old Norse guy (living in the Savage Land) tricks Thor into battle hoping he could die a warrior and go to Valhalla. Thor doesn't kill him, but makes him a shield bearer against a dragon, giving the old guy a chance at glory. They get smacked around a bit and then:

Somewhere early on in Simonson's Thor run.

Walt Simonson is a goddamn treasure.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Lacks empathy/=/murderer, dude.

True, we can safely assume you haven't murdered anyone yet.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Having a disorder isn't an excuse to be a dick.

Certainly not, but it can explain things like not understanding why people are disturbed by one's stated enthusiasm for violent retribution.

E:VVV Depending on the disorder, and its severity, it could be very difficult or even impossible to ever understand. However, it would be unfair to make such assumptions about the poster in question.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 9, 2015

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Agreed, unless the thread is Power Rangers recruitment.

JLA #89

Possibly the most badass thing in this thread.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Cops are generally allowed to kill people who are trying to kill them.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Dr. Hurt posted:

Cops are generally allowed to kill people

SynthOrange posted:

Cops generally kill people

Can't say I disagree.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Space knight.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

He got better.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

This Hyperion material is the most badass thing that's been posted here in weeks.

X-O, why should superman be deeply connected and fully in sync with humanity? At that point he's afforded a level of absolute moral and physical superiority that makes him, at best, uninteresting, and frequently, what this comic calls "the biggest bully in the playground". Absent the struggle of connecting with or reacting to humanity, there's no longer any sense of tension, change or development with Superman- the classic problem of the character.

The great contradiction of Superman is that he is an alien defined by his humanity. The thing that makes him Superman isn't the godlike power of his Kryptonian heritage, it's his Mister Rogers-level decency, which he learned from his human parents. Despite being beyond human in every physical way, he is entirely dependent on his connection to humanity. He's a super man. The contrast is often most clearly depicted when he's contrasted against other Kryptonians, who didn't have a human upbringing.

Unless you ask Zack Snyder. Then he's a confused alien who doesn't understand the concept of innocent bystanders.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I was born with the John Williams theme stuck in my head. This poo poo's in my blood.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Basically, Superman is Clark Kent, not Kal-El. I hate it when people in comics call him by his Kryptonian name and he accepts it. He got that name when he was a day old. It's like saying an adopted kid is defined by where he is born, not where he was raised in.

Yes, precisely this.

I recall that panel with Superman and Nightwing in a park running into a security guard who comments that the park must be really safe with the two of them patrolling it, and Superman replies with "The three of us". The thing I feel like a lot of people don't get is that when he says things like that, he means it. He's this invincible supergod who thinks that an ordinary guy putting on a uniform and doing his small part to protect people is just as admirable as anything he's done as Superman. Possibly even more admirable, because that dude's not bulletproof.

Edit: In an effort to not drag this derail any further (seriously, I could do this for days), I'll squeeze my last thought into this post:

It honestly really annoys me when people refer to Superman's unwavering good guy attitude as "old fashioned", because that opinion is just completely divorced from reality. Humanity's go-to response to the majority of problems, for most of our 10,000 years of recorded history, has been violence and brutality. We are, by our very nature, bloodthirsty and territorial creatures. The word "genocide" was first coined in 1944 because, before the last three or four centuries, wiping entire cultures off the face of the earth for whatever reason suited you wasn't all that controversial. Solving problems through peaceful action, and treating enemies (or even the people you're meant to protect) with compassion is a very new concept. To me personally, that's what it means when Superman is referred to as the "Man of Tomorrow". He represents the idealised future of human development, in much the same way that Star Trek does.

I'd cap this off with a badass Superman panel if I had one handy.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 26, 2015

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Yeah, pretty much everything we've been describing as the core of the character is very much post-Silver Age, but the characterisation has stuck for at least thirty years now. Beyond that, emphasising Superman's humanity makes for a much better character, and a much better story. It's the times when Clark was nothing but a disguise that stories have fallen into the "nothing can challenge him, how can we even make this interesting?" trap.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

That is exactly what I was hoping to see. You done good, TwoPair. "Up, Up, and Away" is the closest thing I can think of to a perfect modern Superman story.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I always liked the idea that superman is actually pretty lovely at fighting

Superman fights dudes that are stronger than him all the time. He's not fancy by any stretch; pretty much a straightforward pugilist; but he's got some moves.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Probably! I've just had those pictures on my computer forever. I never thought to update them with prettier versions after I actually bought the issues off Comixology. Dare to compare.

Still a little murky, definitely lighter though.

I've always liked this art, but I do have to admit it looks pretty static compared to the All-Star stuff posted above.

e: Also, the last several pages of this thread are my favourite pages ever.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Kris Kristofferson for Black Bolt.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What is the reasoning behind the Shocker's name, again? It's all vibrational, isn't it? It's not actually electrical at no point, if I'm remembering correctly.

Shockwaves, if I had to guess.

Ashcans posted:

I guess there are probably special doctors who make crazy superhero biology their area of study. It's probably a lot of insane frontier-style guesswork. "Well you're mostly made of rocks so basically we're going to fill this up with spackle and hope for the best'.

The most qualified candidate also happens to be Ben's best friend and roommate. Though I think Reed spent a chunk of that time "dead" or something, didn't he?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

If it's any consulation, the time Cyclops fixed Colossus head after it got dented inwards so bad he couldn't turn back to human form was in the 90's. And to fix him Moria McTagart, Beast and Charles Xavier fixed him with Surgery. Cyclops was using his Optic Blast into a machine to create the laser, so you could argue that the beam was only powering the machine.

Oh and I'm sure that in some comic they said that Colossus bleeds crackling Kirkby style energy.

X-Cutioner slashed him with some alien scythe thing while Jason Wyngard was dying on Muir Island (90s!), and the wound sparked and glowed instead of bleeding.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Also he strikes the same rib twice in sequence yet produces two clearly distinct tones. What are we to believe, this is some kind of magic xylophone? I sure hope somebody got fired for that one.

A wizard did it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Norns posted:

You folks really talk about rape a lot in here.

I just want to look at cool pictures.

Complaining about a topic almost an entire page after that topic was last mentioned is kind of like bringing a get-well card to a wake.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I'd imagine that it's at least considered tacky.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

I wish Aaron would decide what the rules are for Thor, though. Sometimes it seems like Jane's a passenger and the hammer is doing most of the work, to the point where she's surprised at what Thor is saying, and sometimes it's like that page where she's in control and the Thor powers/form just translate her words into Ye Olde Codde Englishe.

Seems kind of like a six of one/half dozen of the other situation. Personally, I think it's best left vague and undefined.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Yeah, that page makes no goddamn sense.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Angrymog posted:

I'm feeling somewhat confused - wasn't there a Prez book back in the 90s with a male Prez?

Anyway, this title looks pretty cool.

More like the 70s. It's generally considered an oddball classic.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Pulling a Super Mario 2 with that really would have been the best move. Even ignoring :sperg: canon debates, it would have been a nice bow to remind fans not to take the poo poo so seriously; it'd be a winking MST3K "it's just a show, I should really just relax."

Lucas went the opposite direction and said The Force Unleashed was movie level canon. I'm pretty sure he'd stopped giving a poo poo by that point though.

Toadstrieb posted:

Goddamnit I forgot that one. Well, if I was gonna go with another objection to the "force superheroes" approach, I'd say that any unkillable character, or one that trivializes all normal human concerns for safety and wellbeing ruin stories unless the story is about how they're different in a way that isn't just pure difference or exceptional power. This is also why I think superheroes suck, so, it's not really starwars related.

You, uh...you might be on the wrong forum here.

Anyway, speaking as a hardcore Star Wars fanboy from birth, the new comics are awesome. I've never found myself thinking "[Character] would never say/do that!" I'd say the writers have the characters' voices and attitudes down, but it's not uncommon for a character to feel a little "off" when they're translated to such a dramatically different medium. It's just part of the trade-off. Luke may not look and "sound" exactly like Mark Hamill, but the visual experience will never be constrained by an effects budget, so I'd call it a win.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Not better, necessarily, but working with a different toolkit gives the creators an opportunity to try different things. This could go terribly, terribly wrong, of course. Prequels, etc. But I'm liking how the new comics are handling the balancing act so far. They've avoided going crazy with the wacky Force powers and focused on vibrant setting and character designs, while taking the opportunity to show us applications of the Force that aren't limited to handwaving and wirework. The scene in which Vader first hears the name "Skywalker" wouldn't have worked the same on film, for example. Personally, I think the comics are a perfect way to tell the stories between the movies, as long as they keep managing the talent as well as they have so far.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superman: American Alien #2

Nope.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

What's the problem?

You would ask that.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Action Jacktion posted:

He said he'd've done the Pym panel right when he wasn't involved with it at all, so it seems like he at least could've said something even if he wasn't the main artist. Or maybe he decided it wouldn't sully Spider-Man's character since of course it wasn't the real Peter Parker doing it.

Except it was, in the end.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hm yes let's have a fistfight with someone with super-strength and can breathe water in his element, this can't possibly go wrong!
For someone so supposedly super-intelligent, Tony is really really loving dumb.

Is there still a difference between Namor's power level on land vs. underwater? I seem to recall a time when it was explicitly known that you do not want to face him underwater.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Puntification posted:

There's also the end of that really lovely Kevin Smith Batman where the joker's in the hospital and he's "sane" cos they put him on meds.

The main thing I remember about that scene is Joker's glorious facepubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

WickedHate posted:

The whole "sane=good, insane=bad" thing is ableist and outdated as hell.

I don't disagree, but it's difficult to disassociate Batman's world from that, especially Joker. Not because Batman is any kind of serious examination of mental illness, but because the Arkham imagery is deeply ingrained in the mythos. That being said, I think it would be possible to present Joker exactly as he is without pinning his behaviour on "crazy". I mean, he's obviously a psychopath and definitely has some emotional and behaviour issues (putting it mildly,) but the core of what makes him "evil" is a combination of extreme nihilism and a philosophical devotion to chaos. Those things don't really require mental illness to thrive, and I'm just now realising that it would be interesting to see Joker portrayed not as a madman, but as a representation of human nature taken to extremes.

It is possible that what I just typed doesn't make any goddamn sense, but it was interesting to think about.