Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks everyone, im not well versed on DC like i am marvel.

Ps. Identity crisis kinda blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's one of the worst comics ever made.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dan Didio posted:

It's one of the worst comics ever made.

Officially the worst:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1frfFoIyGG2_rel24ptmL0g-YJnPLVylQuQKjm2CPnsI/edit

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

And unofficially. And literally.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It’s also responsible for launching this forum.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lifg posted:

It’s also responsible for launching this forum.

We already established it was the worst!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's a cheap shot, but at this point, there's probably more bad DC Comics with crisis in the title than good ones, or even notable ones.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

That's a cheap shot, but at this point, there's probably more bad DC Comics with crisis in the title than good ones, or even notable ones.

A lot of the yearly JSA/JLA team-ups were titled something like "Crisis on Three Earths!" so the quantity of those helps the average.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

A lot of the yearly JSA/JLA team-ups were titled something like "Crisis on Three Earths!" so the quantity of those helps the average.

That's a good shout, I always forget that the whole Crisis on motif dates back way further than the 80s.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Yeah, I remember when we all enjoyed taking guesses as to whodunnit in Identity Crisis and buying goofy avatars, only for it all to come crashing down as we found out the reasoning behind the killing was just "bitches be crazy, am I right?".

Anyway, I just read HoX/PoX and the first 3 volumes of Dawn of X, after having not read any main continuity X-Men stuff for a long time. I've got questions, but to start with a simple one: Why is Cable young now?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WaffleZombie posted:

Yeah, I remember when we all enjoyed taking guesses as to whodunnit in Identity Crisis and buying goofy avatars, only for it all to come crashing down as we found out the reasoning behind the killing was just "bitches be crazy, am I right?".

Anyway, I just read HoX/PoX and the first 3 volumes of Dawn of X, after having not read any main continuity X-Men stuff for a long time. I've got questions, but to start with a simple one: Why is Cable young now?

Time travel. That's him way earlier in his timeline.

He killed Old Cable, too, for reasons.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

WaffleZombie posted:

Did anyone pick Atom's ex-wife with a flame thrower as a joke only to be proven correct?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Madkal posted:

Did anyone pick Atom's ex-wife with a flame thrower as a joke only to be proven correct?

Not the flamethrower bit, but people definitely did jokingly pick her.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Were the hand puppets an IC thing or am I misremembering?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The hand puppets came after.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I miss those, a lot of them were really, really cute.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wondering how many people have absolutely no idea what we're talking about and are really confused.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Identity Crisis was fun because it spawned the guess avatars which lead the mods to quarantine us in BSS.

I'm still sore at you fuckers for starting the guess avatar trend the one night I had to work a double shift.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Glad one good thing came out of that lovely poo poo poo poo poo poo book.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

muscles like this! posted:

Wondering how many people have absolutely no idea what we're talking about and are really confused.

Hmm I wonder....

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Madkal posted:

Glad one good thing came out of that lovely poo poo poo poo poo poo book.

It inadvertently inspired a lot of good comics, that’s sort of a positive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

muscles like this! posted:

I completely understand it and frankly it makes me glad to have been here with most of you great people across a significant divot of American history. You're all great, except the people I put on Ignore, who are probably decent but post really tediously.

e: Oh, an actual Q for the A.

I had a conversation with a friend where a curious topic came up: despite them being common as hell in anime and manga, we had a genuinely hard time coming up with an example of a cyborg woman anywhere in the big 2's comics. The only ones we could think of were Lady Deathstrike and Spiral, and of course Spiral made Deathstrike.

Are there many others? For the purposes of this assessment, a low-key prosthetic would not qualify, but Cable at least sort-of does.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 29, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Misty Knight.

Edit: Ladytron was Wildstorm but is owned by DC now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 29, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nebula.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Marvel's Transformers comics had "Circuit Breaker" as one of their few human antagonists; she even inexplicably cameoed in Secret Wars II so Marvel would keep ownership instead of Hasbro.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Do robot women count? There's Danger and that Sentinel chick from X-Men, plus Viv

POD is a robot exoskeleton/AI piloted by a woman and their personalities are merged, that's pretty cyborg-ish.

I feel like there's some character from either Corsair's group or one of the Shi'ar groups trying to kill them that's a woman with robot legs, but that might also have been a dream from binging too much Claremont and eating a large pizza right before bed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

From Deadpool there's agent Preston who is living in a LMD.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmds are robots and robots aren't cyborgs. come, on guys.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ruby Thursday is kind of the inverse of the comic book cyborg- she only replaced her head.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Does the Engineer from the Authority count?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
There was a "Bionic Woman" comic book for a while in the '70s. Does that count? :haw:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The novel that the Six Million Dollar Man was based on is literally called Cyborg, so it definitely counts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nessus posted:

e: Oh, an actual Q for the A.

I had a conversation with a friend where a curious topic came up: despite them being common as hell in anime and manga, we had a genuinely hard time coming up with an example of a cyborg woman anywhere in the big 2's comics. The only ones we could think of were Lady Deathstrike and Spiral, and of course Spiral made Deathstrike.

Are there many others? For the purposes of this assessment, a low-key prosthetic would not qualify, but Cable at least sort-of does.

M.O.D.A.M.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
They introduced basically a female Cyborg the last time Cyborg had a solo series. Wiki doesn't say what happened to her, but either way, she'll never appear again because, come on, it's a Cyborg solo series.

Oh, Dethlocket

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

lmds are robots and robots aren't cyborgs. come, on guys.

Anime and manga "cyborgs" are typically androids and robots rather than cyborgs, though.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Angry Salami posted:

Marvel's Transformers comics had "Circuit Breaker" as one of their few human antagonists; she even inexplicably cameoed in Secret Wars II so Marvel would keep ownership instead of Hasbro.

That’s a great superhero name.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Sasha Bordeaux was a cyborg for awhile pre-Rebirth via OMAC stuff. Ditto, I may be misremembering what the whole Alpha Lantern thing was all about but Boodikka was turned into one of those as well. A very minor X-Men supporting character, Cylla Markham, was the second Skullbuster for a bit in the 90s, which I remember because she had a pretty striking design and a fun color scheme. Lucia von Barda too.

I'm not sure if you'd want to count Omega Sentinels as cyborgs or robots or what but you also have Karima Shapandar (mentioned by Skwirl already), last seen in HoX/PoX I think, and the former X-Force villain Ekatarina Gryaznova, who I, as a child, thought was Girl Deadpool.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wasn't Lex Luthor's personal bodyguard (I want to say Marcy) a woman cyborg?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Where's the line between cyborg and prosthetic, because Karma's leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Beerdeer posted:

Where's the line between cyborg and prosthetic, because Karma's leg.

Karma has a prosthetic leg?

Random Stranger posted:

Anime and manga "cyborgs" are typically androids and robots rather than cyborgs, though.

Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of Major from Ghost in the Shell and Alita.