Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«423 »
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Yeah, her leg got wounded by Cameron Hodge in the profoundly forgettable Second Coming event, just shy of a decade ago, then amputated and replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah, her leg got wounded by Cameron Hodge in the profoundly forgettable Second Coming event, just shy of a decade ago, then amputated and replaced.

I read Second coming just a couple months ago (that's where Nightcrawler dies and it's revealed Scott had been running a murder squad lead by Wolverine, right?) and have no memory of that. Has she died since then (a fair question for any of the New Mutants) because she might not still have the false leg since then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

Where's the line between cyborg and prosthetic, because Karma's leg.

If it's not purely mechanical then to me the prosthetic makes you a cyborg. Peg leg, no. Pacemaker, yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

Wasn't Lex Luthor's personal bodyguard (I want to say Marcy) a woman cyborg?

Mercy Graves has been a cyborg but I don't know if it is a regular thing for the character.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I read Second coming just a couple months ago (that's where Nightcrawler dies and it's revealed Scott had been running a murder squad lead by Wolverine, right?) and have no memory of that. Has she died since then (a fair question for any of the New Mutants) because she might not still have the false leg since then.

This is from X-Men: Second Coming #2 which I guess was kind of a bookend to the entire thing. It's kind of buried in the middle of some other stuff:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006
Big Dick McGee

Skwirl posted:

Karma has a prosthetic leg?

I don’t know if it’s been fixed, but Hodge cut it off during Second Coming.

Wow, beaten

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How Wonderful! posted:

This is from X-Men: Second Coming #2 which I guess was kind of a bookend to the entire thing. It's kind of buried in the middle of some other stuff:

She should really go to HR about that outfit. I can see her navel.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm not sure if you'd want to count Omega Sentinels as cyborgs or robots or what but you also have Karima Shapandar (mentioned by Skwirl already), last seen in HoX/PoX I think, and the former X-Force villain Ekatarina Gryaznova, who I, as a child, thought was Girl Deadpool.

If that counts, than so do all the female members of Livewires. I think they just appeared again this year in a Deadpool issue? I really enjoyed the Warren miniseries.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

It was all going well, and then the parademons showed up

Fallen Rib

I mean wouldn't Forge be considered a cyborg at this point?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

She definitely still has it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Google Image Results for
"Sexy Guy Gardner"

More heroes should do a victory dance.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Has there ever been a prominent shonen manga/anime that features a protagonist who doesnt become the most powerful fighter/ninja/alchemist/card gamer/etc. ever? Like someone who by all metrics is powerful and competent, just not the best or most powerful practitioner of their art?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hunter x Hunter. Izuku Midoriya isn't the best in My Hero Academia either.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Hunter x Hunter. Izuku Midoriya isn't the best in My Hero Academia either.

Technically, neither of those are finished though. Even though HxH will probably never be finished at this rate.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Yu Yu Hakusho also counts, so Togashi has at least one in the bag.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even in Naruto he isn't really the best ninja. His whole thing is that he's really good at bringing people together and his successes are due to team ups.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Do not attempt to interact with the hogs.

Knives Amilli posted:

Has there ever been a prominent shonen manga/anime that features a protagonist who doesnt become the most powerful fighter/ninja/alchemist/card gamer/etc. ever? Like someone who by all metrics is powerful and competent, just not the best or most powerful practitioner of their art?

You’re kind of limiting it by saying “prominent” but I can think of a couple right now. Tanjiro in Demon Slayer is never considered the “best” swordsman, just a very very good one. Emma in The Promised Neverland is one of three very smart young children. The main character of MHA: Vigilantes isn’t the most powerful by nature of it being a spinoff.

I can think of more but I’m not sure what counts as “prominent.” Kekkaishi, one of my favorite manga, ran for 35 volumes but it’s not exactly Shonen Jump levels of popular

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I still can't believe they cast Spock as me. Spock! Can you imagine?

Of course, he was missing a few things.

Knives Amilli posted:

The super-competent ultra-efficient ultimate warrior dude in One Piece is the first mate and often wanders off to get lost and/or horribly mutilated. The main character is a goofy rubber man whose power-ups include "biting into his thumb and inflating himself" and "stretchy arm distance punch."

Luffy has learned some super karate, but the one specific rare thing he seems to be able to do is also something several other characters have in their toolbox.

I do not think there are more prominent shonen mangas than One Piece.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The standard cliche in shonen manga is that the main character is more of a genial gently caress up with some talent while the rival is the technically skilled one.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

At least in the anime the main character in Robotech was absolutely not the best fighter pilot. Was that a manga first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Never deal with a dragon? Psh. Pansies.

Skwirl posted:

At least in the anime the main character in Robotech was absolutely not the best fighter pilot. Was that a manga first?

No, Robotech/Macross was an anime first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macross

«423 »