Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MH Knights posted:

Wait, wasn't this a Marvel thing?

there was a thing where they published a single issue of a bunch of different comics that was supposed to be like if the comic continued publishing for another 80 years or something, but they didn't stop publishing anything for it and it was just one book for each title. During Secret Wars they stopped publishing everything normal for 4 months, but they blew up the universe before that, it wasn't a possible future.

DC sorta already did this back in the 90's with DC One Million, but that wasn't a near future, it was a million months in the future, so 83 thousand years, Dick Grayson wasn't running around as Nightwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Does anyone remember the justification for why Teddy uses the codename Hulkling when he's not remotely related to the Hulk and is a shapeshifter?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC it was a thing with all the original Young Avengers where they were actively lying about where their powers came from.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's because the Young Avengers are all named after the Old Avengers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Does anyone remember the justification for why Teddy uses the codename Hulkling when he's not remotely related to the Hulk and is a shapeshifter?
He was originally a big strong green guy and just said "Uh, heh, guess I got Gamma Powers.... somehowwwww...."

Plus, like the two above me said modeled on classic Avengers/lying

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s been up with Iron Lad? Is he still Kang the Conqueror?

What’s even up with Kang? How many versions of him are there

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

What’s been up with Iron Lad? Is he still Kang the Conqueror?

What’s even up with Kang? How many versions of him are there

I don't think he's shown up since before Secret Wars, Yes, who the gently caress knows he's a time traveler, at least 3.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

What are the good Future State books?

Edit:

Skwirl posted:

I don't think he's shown up since before Secret Wars, Yes, who the gently caress knows he's a time traveler, at least 3.

Iron Lad was in the Exiles book by Saladin Ahmed, but I don't remember if he was a member for the entire run.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 19, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vincent posted:

Top 5 Future Slate Books

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

X-O posted:

Top 5 Future Slate Books

Well that's dissapointing. I was thinking about getting back to reading some DC comics : c

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Vincent posted:

Edit:

Iron Lad was in the Exiles book by Saladin Ahmed, but I don't remember if he was a member for the entire run.

Swamp Thing has been the best I have read. Suicide Squad was meh but I really really liked the Black Adam backup. That's about it for me. I heard good things about Imperious Lex though.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

I liked Immortal Wonder Woman (the Becky Cloonan written one). Only other one I tried was Swamp Thing but I couldn't get into the first issue.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
some of the Future State books have had pretty good art (Wonder Woman, Dark Detective, and Harley Quinn come to mind) but overall it's pretty mediocre

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC it was a thing with all the original Young Avengers where they were actively lying about where their powers came from.
To add a little more, the original four young avengers were all kind of hiding their power sources. I think this was actually to make fans guess more than anything.
1. Iron Lad was masquerading as if he had Iron Man type armor, but is actually Kang.
2. Asgardian was acting as if he was an Asgardian, but actually has powers from Wanda (and is now Wiccan)
3. Patriot appeared to be based off of Bucky, but was actually based off the original Captain America, Isaiah Bradley
4. Hulkling appeared to be Hulk based, but actually had Kree and Skrull powers.

They were also portrayed as superhero nerds who wanted to emulate certain heroes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Patriot had no powers he was using MGH. But later he got powers from a blood transfusion.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vincent posted:

Well that's dissapointing. I was thinking about getting back to reading some DC comics : c

Lol there are good books, but lmao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Patriot had no powers he was using MGH. But later he got powers from a blood transfusion.

Specifically he was lying about having powers because of a blood transfusion from Isaiah Bradley but was actually doing MGH.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vincent posted:

Swamp Thing is the only good one I've read so far. The rest have been dreadful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I enjoyed Harley Quinn and Catwoman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So what is the Nexus in the Marvel universe? I'm told it's a thing I'm supposed to know about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SonicRulez posted:

So what is the Nexus in the Marvel universe? I'm told it's a thing I'm supposed to know about.

It’s a giant sized man thing

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SonicRulez posted:

the only one springing to mind is the Nexus of Realities, which is in Florida and has bizarre dimensional poo poo happening there all the time which is why Man-Thing hangs out there

I don't know why anyone would think you were "supposed" to know about it, it hasn't been a major driving force behind Marvel stories since the '70s, now it's just one of those things that pops up every now and again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
its because of wandavision op

radlum
May 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

It’s a giant sized man thing

As soon as I saw Nexus on the ad I got excited that we could see Man-Thing on the MCU; I still have hope

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

radlum posted:

As soon as I saw Nexus on the ad I got excited that we could see Man-Thing on the MCU; I still have hope

It's awful.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It's not even giant-size.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

NORMAL-SIZE
MAN-THING!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What is the average size Man-Thing? just asking haha

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

The title of my sex tape?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

the Nexus of Realities, which is in Florida and has bizarre dimensional poo poo happening there all the time

I love a story based in reality

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i didn't think it was that bad. it's just not interesting in any way, even in the ways a bad film would normally be.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Do you keep an inventory of your comics? Is there a website for that? I found one in Spanish and though that's my native language, it only has info on the Spanish version of the comics and most of my collection is in English.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I use Collectorz for comics, music, and movies.

https://connect.collectorz.com

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

radlum posted:

Do you keep an inventory of your comics? Is there a website for that? I found one in Spanish and though that's my native language, it only has info on the Spanish version of the comics and most of my collection is in English.

I use the CLZ app. It’s a paid app but I find it’s worth it. It lets you keep a detailed inventory of what you have and you can build a wish list too. The price guide they affiliate with is insane though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, uh...what happened with Avatar Press? It just sort of went dark in 2019 and just issued reprints/might still be doing so. I ask mainly because the last four issues of Uber won't come out until 'their issues work out', except there's no real info on what those issues are or were.

Knowing the industry, I'm guessing someone cored the whole company out and ran off with the money.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had asked kieron about that a while ago and it turns out that uber wasn't a creator owned project so for all intents and purposes the series is dead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The "issues" are probably "we don't want to pay you much for a comic selling four figures" and Gillen walked

(Not an indictment of the comic - I really enjoyed it.)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
True, but it's not just Uber, all of Avatar has stopped releasing new issues last I checked, so clearly it's some weird mystery company wide thing, and it's very strange when nearly two years have gone by and nothing has come out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornwind Evil posted:

True, but it's not just Uber, all of Avatar has stopped releasing new issues last I checked, so clearly it's some weird mystery company wide thing, and it's very strange when nearly two years have gone by and nothing has come out of it.

Don't they do the 'what if fairy tale heroines but sexy' or is that somebody else?