Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This page says 13 years since the FF went to space, so good news!

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Glossary:Sliding_Timescale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

maltesh posted:

Has there been more real-world time since the release of the first Iron Man film in 2008 than Marvel-Time since the Fantastic Four got their powers?

If not, when is the break-even point likely to happen?

They're pretty vague about exactly how much time has passed in universe, but they refuse to let Peter Parker turn 30, and he was 15 when he got his powers, roughly at the same time the F4 got there's, so 15 years would be the definitive hard break.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Finally got around to reading Childer of the Atom #2. What's Kamala's Law that Captain America mentions?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Think Superhero Registration Act, but for teens. It was from an event that got completely derailed by covid to such an extent that I'm not even sure if it ever was fully resolved?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"After the Champions battled an Asgardian Dragon left over from the War of the Realms and the subsequent damage done to Coles Academic High School by malfunctioned Viv Vision, Underage Superhuman Welfare Act ("Kamala's Law") had been passed that outlawed superhero activity involving those below twenty-one years of age. "

Registration 2.0

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a great limited series about Kamala's Law saving a generation of mutants, Mutates, and superhumans from being forced into the dangerous and exploitative lifestyle of super heroics. It can star Jubilee and Bucky

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh right COTA was supposed to be released at the same time as that whole event huh

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

To be fair, I haven't paid attention to Marvel events since, like, Original Sin? Secret Wars? Until the X-reboot, I'd only been reading Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl and Runaways.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like that should have been mentioned in Ms Marvel, seeing as the idea is her name was co-opted for the law. Plus Ahmed definitely had it come up in Spider-Man with his not!AOC character palling around with Cap and supporting kids protesting the law

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It should be pointed out that it's called "Kamala's Law" because Kamala Khan was injured in her civilian disguise (like, in a coma for a week), so her running around as Ms Marvel is her violating a law named after her.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It sounds like as good an idea in universe and reality wise as the first Civil War comics.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like that should have been mentioned in Ms Marvel, seeing as the idea is her name was co-opted for the law. Plus Ahmed definitely had it come up in Spider-Man with his not!AOC character palling around with Cap and supporting kids protesting the law

I'd imagine it has, I haven't kept up with the title in at least 18 months.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

It was, the end of Ahmed's time on the book was all about Kamala staying one step ahead of Dum Dum Dugan and Cradle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Here's one I'm curious about: We all know that the MCU basically took a bunch of characters that used to be considered B or C tier for Marvel and made those properties household names. Has that carried over to sales for the comics? Has Iron Man's sales floor increased substantially since 2006?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

"After the Champions battled an Asgardian Dragon left over from the War of the Realms and the subsequent damage done to Coles Academic High School by malfunctioned Viv Vision, Underage Superhuman Welfare Act ("Kamala's Law") had been passed that outlawed superhero activity involving those below twenty-one years of age. "

Registration 2.0

That seems...pretty sensible, actually. Though naturally it can never actually be effectively enforced because the Eternal Status Quo won't allow it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

That seems...pretty sensible, actually. Though naturally it can never actually be effectively enforced because the Eternal Status Quo won't allow it.

I mean it seems sensible up until you think about the fact that that would imply vigilantism is actually totally legal over a certain age. And like, it might as well be because when's the last time any superhero book has even slightly talked about cops going after them, but still it raises a strange question of "uh was it ever going to be legal for them and if so, why?"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I mean it seems sensible up until you think about the fact that that would imply vigilantism is actually totally legal over a certain age. And like, it might as well be because when's the last time any superhero book has even slightly talked about cops going after them, but still it raises a strange question of "uh was it ever going to be legal for them and if so, why?"

I thought what superheroes do was, in general, supposed to be legal, with certain "grittier" characters like Daredevil being a partial exception. But I'm sure it's been handled inconsistently by different writers.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

To me, teenage heroes are one of those genre conventions that are best left alone -- the more you try to get them to make sense, the more they fall apart.

In reality, of course, teenage heroes are a terrible idea that no one in their right mind would ever allow ... but they're too deeply baked into the genre to get rid of, from the days of Robin, Bucky, and Toro to the Titans, the Legion, and the younger X-Men.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Selachian posted:

To me, teenage heroes are one of those genre conventions that are best left alone -- the more you try to get them to make sense, the more they fall apart.

In reality, of course, teenage heroes are a terrible idea that no one in their right mind would ever allow ... but they're too deeply baked into the genre to get rid of, from the days of Robin, Bucky, and Toro to the Titans, the Legion, and the younger X-Men.

Are they really that deeply baked in, though? Adaptions generally get rid of it by just making characters like Robin and Bucky older. There are lots of perfectly good Batman stories without the "Dick Grayson, age 12" version of Robin.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I thought what superheroes do was, in general, supposed to be legal, with certain "grittier" characters like Daredevil being a partial exception. But I'm sure it's been handled inconsistently by different writers.

Superhero comics try to brush past all of the ethical and legal problems with superheroes. It doesn't take much to peal back the surface and go, "Hang on, this entire genre is hosed up. Also fascist as hell."

No, a lot of what superheroes do is not legal. A lot of what they do should result in significant legal consequences which we effectively never see. And that means when comics go, "Superheroes are now illegal!" for a storyline it raises a lot of questions that they're not able to answer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dick Grayson, age 12, isn't a teen hero anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Superhero comics try to brush past all of the ethical and legal problems with superheroes. It doesn't take much to peal back the surface and go, "Hang on, this entire genre is hosed up. Also fascist as hell."

No, a lot of what superheroes do is not legal. A lot of what they do should result in significant legal consequences which we effectively never see. And that means when comics go, "Superheroes are now illegal!" for a storyline it raises a lot of questions that they're not able to answer.

I don't mean it would be legal in real life, obviously, just that it generally doesn't seem to be illegal in the Marvel US.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

As someone who deals with regulations all day: the act of "superheroing" would likely be defined in some way to make it distinct from "getting in a fight while cosplaying as Captain Marvel" or "using your mutant powers to water your lawn". The distinction here is one can have and use superpowers while underage, but not actively being a superhero, while one can be a superhero above legal age and perform legal or illegal actions while doing it, but the mere act of superheroing isn't illegal.

But also, yeah, it's basically just Registration 2.0.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think in Marvel (at least pre-Civil War) if you were a card carrying member of the Avengers, or one of the Fantastic Four or affiliates, then you were given a tentative green light to just do your thing. Unofficially sanctioned by local and federal governments, because "you're out saving the world, or at least America". That's why you can have half of the roster be former/reformed criminals. If Cap or Iron Man vouches for you, you're good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I don't mean it would be legal in real life, obviously, just that it generally doesn't seem to be illegal in the Marvel US.

When Spider-Man breaks into a warehouse because he didn't like the look of some guy, that's still a crime even if he finds Hammerhead running a weapons smuggling ring out of it. When Thor causes an electrical storm that has massive property damage, it's still a crime even if he did it to stop a troll since Thor could have chosen a method with less harmful consequences. When Namor sends a tidal wave through New York City because he's in a bad mood, he needs to be held accountable.

And none of that happens because it's superhero comics. The heroes are always morally justified and the serious harm they do to everyday people happens off screen, safely away from the reader. And honestly, power fantasy adventure stories shouldn't deal with that stuff since when you do it's no longer a story about the hero facing consequences, it's becomes story that raises questions of why the world of the story is so contradictory. Marvel, DC, and anyone who wants a functioning, ongoing superhero universe not only can't answer those questions, they can't begin to address them in a satisfactory way.

Or to put it another way, the more they lean into "realism" the more obviously unrealistic it becomes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Here's one I'm curious about : We all know that the MCU basically took a bunch of characters that used to be considered B or C tier for Marvel and made those properties household names. Has that carried over to sales for the comics? Has Iron Man's sales floor increased substantially since 2006?

Not really, as far as I know. I don't have hard numbers on this, but movie watchers don't read comics, of movies they like, as a rule. There might be very short bumps but those are probably more due to Marvel putting all their marketing dollars to a character's book when his movie comes out and often hiring "big name" people to do either an event focused on them or a relaunch. Iron Man's profile in the comics was probably much more affected by being a focus in Civil War and the Extremis series than his movies, as he'd definitely been having a tough time as a result of being misused in the 90s and generally floundering since then. Thor was similarly probably boosted much more by Aaron's run than by his movie.

Characters beyond the C-list probably do get something of a bump, if only because Marvel's insistence on movie synergy means they're more likely to, you know, have books at all when they normally might not, such as the Guardians.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Haven't the Guardians consistently had a book running since about Annihilation?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Haven't the Guardians consistently had a book running since about Annihilation?

That book was canceled in 2010 and then the Bendis book featuring the exact same team as the movie (the Annihilation one was pretty close, but had people rotate out, plus when Gamora was in it, she was wearing her original costume) started in 2012, around when production started for the first film.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Skwirl posted:

It should be pointed out that it's called "Kamala's Law" because Kamala Khan was injured in her civilian disguise (like, in a coma for a week), so her running around as Ms Marvel is her violating a law named after her.

This was about the same time that Covid screwed up comic distribution and Marvel basically put everything on hold, so it ended up feeling more meaningful than it would have normally - her comic ended up being delayed by months, so it actually felt like she was out of action for a long time, rather than just "Oh, she got beat up real bad but she'll be fine next issue".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Not really, as far as I know. I don't have hard numbers on this, but movie watchers don't read comics, of movies they like, as a rule. There might be very short bumps but those are probably more due to Marvel putting all their marketing dollars to a character's book when his movie comes out and often hiring "big name" people to do either an event focused on them or a relaunch. Iron Man's profile in the comics was probably much more affected by being a focus in Civil War and the Extremis series than his movies, as he'd definitely been having a tough time as a result of being misused in the 90s and generally floundering since then. Thor was similarly probably boosted much more by Aaron's run than by his movie.

That was my experience working in a comic store during a lot of Phase 1 flicks. You'd get maybe a bare handful of people in off the street hungry for more Thor or whatever, but even most of them would wander off after finding how much of a commitment keeping up with a monthly book (or more) could be.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is there a Green Lantern assigned to Apokolips and New Genesis?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There were during the Johns run and they were also a part of Final Crisis if I remember correctly. "Krakken" maybe?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

in The Nail Barda winds up with a ring, but that's an Elseworlds.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

There were during the Johns run and they were also a part of Final Crisis if I remember correctly. "Krakken" maybe?

Yeah. She was taken over by Goodness after becoming a Alpha Lantern. She had a partner that wasn’t anything of note.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CopywrightMMXI posted:

New Genesis unknown, but Scott Beatty gave us Raker Qarrigat who as a Green Lantern fighting Darkseid went about as well as you'd expect, although he at least didn't die unlike the first two. This included raising an army of a few thousand Lanterns that Darkseid pretty easily dispatched because yellow and the Guardians got involved. They struck a deal that the Guardians would ignore Apokolips and also leave Raker there so Darkseid could play with him and Darkseid would leave the actual part of the galaxy the Guardians watch over alone because the Guardians are huge dicks. Johns gave us Kraken and I'm not sure how much of Raker's backstory he paid attention to, just that I know Kraken also became one of those dumb Alpha Lantern Manhunter things.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's an elseworlds or a one off mini but I'm trying to find a Superman series. All I remember is the ending where Lara and Jor-El send baby Kal off into space. As they wonder if he will even survive the journey they receive a distorted message from future Clark and learn he survived. Relieved the 2 embrace moments before Krypton blows up.

Does anyone know what this is? I read it in a library many years ago and wish I could reread it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nyeehg posted:

I don't know if it's an elseworlds or a one off mini but I'm trying to find a Superman series. All I remember is the ending where Lara and Jor-El send baby Kal off into space. As they wonder if he will even survive the journey they receive a distorted message from future Clark and learn he survived. Relieved the 2 embrace moments before Krypton blows up.

Does anyone know what this is? I read it in a library many years ago and wish I could reread it.

That's Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

That's Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid.

Thank you! I should have known. For some reason my brain kept telling me it might have been secret origins even though I knew that was wrong

Ah well, time for me to get reacquainted :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's so insane to me Mark Waid was never given a regular Superman series, either the self-titled or Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's so insane to me Mark Waid was never given a regular Superman series, either the self-titled or Action.

Almost as weird to me is that Greg Rucka was. It just seems so out of his normal wheelhouse.