Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I picked up a random Spiderman trade that collected McFarlane's run and the last issue in the trade had Spidey fight the Hulk. Spidey had new powers including flight, extreme super strength, and heat vision but never explains how he got these powers. Because it's the last issue I have no idea what happened to the powers and because it seemed to be a continuation from another Spidey title I have no idea how he got these powers. Can anyone help explain what was going on please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

I picked up a random Spiderman trade that collected McFarlane's run and the last issue in the trade had Spidey fight the Hulk. Spidey had new powers including flight, extreme super strength, and heat vision but never explains how he got these powers. Because it's the last issue I have no idea what happened to the powers and because it seemed to be a continuation from another Spidey title I have no idea how he got these powers. Can anyone help explain what was going on please.

I believe he got the Captain Universe powers?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I believe he got the Captain Universe powers?

Yeah. It was part of the Acts of Vengeance crossover where for about three months villains generally associated with other characters would attack different heroes. Spider-Man wasn't part of the main story, but for fun they decided to have Spider-Man take on villains that were way out of his league and part of that was being "Super Spider-Man". He had all of those extra superpowers and at the end of the arc it turned out to be because he had gotten the Captain Universe powers.

Captain Universe, of course, is "the hero who could be you!" and was a forgotten gimmick where a regular Joe would get into danger and then suddenly manifest superpowers that went away when the danger was over. Why they stuck to Spidey is part of the storyline.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah. It was part of the Acts of Vengeance crossover where for about three months villains generally associated with other characters would attack different heroes. Spider-Man wasn't part of the main story, but for fun they decided to have Spider-Man take on villains that were way out of his league and part of that was being "Super Spider-Man". He had all of those extra superpowers and at the end of the arc it turned out to be because he had gotten the Captain Universe powers.

Captain Universe, of course, is "the hero who could be you!" and was a forgotten gimmick where a regular Joe would get into danger and then suddenly manifest superpowers that went away when the danger was over. Why they stuck to Spidey is part of the storyline.

I remember him dusting a team of Graviton (!), Titania, Goliath (the evil one, I think he was later Atlas in Thunderbolts) and the Brothers Grimm (what if the Joker mixed with Hobgoblin but were brothers and a D-level threat).....

By himself. In a loving laugher. Appropriately, they were pissed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think he fucks up Shocker or some nobody from his own set of villains as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember him dusting a team of Graviton (!), Titania, Goliath (the evil one, I think he was later Atlas in Thunderbolts) and the Brothers Grimm (what if the Joker mixed with Hobgoblin but were brothers and a D-level threat).....

By himself. In a loving laugher. Appropriately, they were pissed.

Titania even makes sense because she's one to hold a grudge forever and Spidey embarrassed her all the way back on Battleworld in Secret Wars.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Titania even makes sense because she's one to hold a grudge forever and Spidey embarrassed her all the way back on Battleworld in Secret Wars.

Was that because of the new suit or did she just underestimate him?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He didn't have the symbiote yet, no. Jim Shooter seems like a big Spidey fan because the webhead was wrecking fools in Secret Wars. That's also where the famous panels come from of him just casually schooling the X-Men.

Edit: I'm also a Spidey fan so maybe this is biased but on paper I don't think Titania should be winning that fight anyway. She's very strong but that's it. One on one against a fresh Spider-Man with room to play and no interference or distractions? I'd bet on him.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 3, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

He didn't have the symbiote yet, no. Jim Shooter seems like a big Spidey fan because the webhead was wrecking fools in Secret Wars. That's also where the famous panels come from of him just casually schooling the X-Men.

Edit: I'm also a Spidey fan so maybe this is biased but on paper I don't think Titania should be winning that fight anyway. She's very strong but that's it. One on one against a fresh Spider-Man with room to play and no interference or distractions? I'd bet on him.

The X Men fight is hilarious in hindsight, it'd never happen now, especially Wolverine getting swatted aside like a nameless Hydra agent

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The X Men fight is hilarious in hindsight, it'd never happen now, especially Wolverine getting swatted aside like a nameless Hydra agent

It hasn't come up in a long time, but I think pretty much every time Spider-Man and Wolverine get in a physical confrontation it's made clear Spidey is way out of Wolverine's league. Probably more to do with Spider-Man being one of the few characters more popular than Wolverine than anything else, but it's been consistent.

Way back in the New Avengers days when Peter and MJ were living in Stark/Avenger tower, Logan called MJ dumb in front of Peter and he threw Logan through "unbreakable" glass off like the 30th something floor.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

It hasn't come up in a long time, but I think pretty much every time Spider-Man and Wolverine get in a physical confrontation it's made clear Spidey is way out of Wolverine's league. Probably more to do with Spider-Man being one of the few characters more popular than Wolverine than anything else, but it's been consistent.

Way back in the New Avengers days when Peter and MJ were living in Stark/Avenger tower, Logan called MJ dumb in front of Peter and he threw Logan through "unbreakable" glass off like the 30th something floor.

The Christopher Priest one-shot Spider-Man vs. Wolverine has a fun take on this, in part because MD Bright was just very good at drawing meaty fight scenes. Basically, as published, Wolverine has nothing on Spider-Man except experience and a willingness to kill-- he more or less gets his rear end kicked until Spidey loses his nerve. According to an old usenet post by Priest it was initially supposed to swing the other way-- that experience and will (and situational awareness) would have won out.

Christopher Priest posted:

The fight was re-drawn at the ninth hour because of the raving of Marvel staffers who were, themselves, divided over how that fight should have gone. As originally approved, written and drawn, Spidey got the webs kicked out of him by Wolverine, essentially on the strength of Spidey ignoring his own Spider-Sense (due to other fish-out-of-water circumstances in the story, a hesitation that was foreshadowed in the very first scene in Times Square). I really liked that story until we were ready to turn the book in and all the office in-fighting started.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

It reads weird because McFarlane left Amazing Spider-Man with issue #325, the Acts of Vengeance tie in starts with #326, and then Todd comes back for the Hulk fight in issue #328. So, you’re missing the two issues with Graviton and Magneto.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

That's true.

He also hit on her in the process.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And to bring things full circle, smashing Titania out of a tall building to land far below is also how that fight ended.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Also, while Wolverine, functunually, has super-strenght (like, I don't think ripping a robot's head is easy), I don't think he has comic-book super strenght, which Spidey does. If Wolverine wins is for 2 reasons:
1) A willingness to go beyond,
2) The writer said so.

Question: Is the Silver Surfer still colored black? After Silver Surfer: Black, some characters keep noticing that his skin is either darker or completlely ebon (sometimes this doesn't translatei n the art and the surfer is just grey-ish). Why did he turn black? I remember it had something to do with Knull, but I decided to just look at the incredible art by Tradd Moore, ´cause lol at reading a comic by Donny Cates.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In my head Wolverine is actually pretty bad at what he does because yeah he's got the years of experience to rely on but they're all built on not giving a poo poo about wounds of any kind. His fighting style is sloppy because pain is merely an inconvenience for him (one that he's very familiar with since snkting used to tear him open every time) but because he's an insane carousel of knife blades and healing factor he can just forever launch high-risk attacks without real consequence.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd have to imagine Spidey has a natural advantage due to his agility since wolverine weighs like 500lbs

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you think about it Wolverine would be kind of lovely. There's so many things with his powers that should gently caress him up. Wolverine doesn't have to deal with things like non-stop concussions from his brain smashing into an indestructible skull or cancerous tumors healing themselves and growing like he's Tetsuo at end of Akira. Those hyper senses leaving him constantly overwhelmed. The effects of carrying around the massive skeleton don't come up unless some writer remembers he shouldn't be able to swim.

Which isn't to say that it should be that way in the comics, realism isn't a requirement for escapist fantasies. It does make me a bit annoyed at how Wolverine is written because "always ultimate badass" is really boring.

If Marvel was ever stupid enough to let me write a Wolverine comic, I'd have him lose his adamantium and then it would be like if he took off his weighted training clothes. :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
They did that in the 90s but with a weighted training nose.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wolverine crosses a rope bridge, it breaks because he's insanely heavy, he falls into the river where he drowns because he can't swim to the surface. he drowns continuously for the next eight years until a once-in-a-hundred-years drought.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

All he can hear is the Sonic the Hedgehog drowning music.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

site posted:

I'd have to imagine Spidey has a natural advantage due to his agility since wolverine weighs like 500lbs
You best believe I hosed up all the other kids in Marvel Super Heroes that were like "Oh spider man he sucks WOLVERINE he's best"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wolverine to me is fast enough. He's not a mongoose but he's also no sloth. A wolverine has those bursts of explosive, scrappy speed. He might have some added weight to contend with (I get the sense that he has a very light but nonetheless still unbreakable amount of adamantium bonded to his bones) but he routinely has to go up against enemies who are agile or have peak human speed.

That said, I've always liked this pic of the aftermath of a Spider-Man vs Wolverine fight:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Open Marriage Night posted:

All he can hear is the Sonic the Hedgehog drowning music.

gently caress, now it's all I can hear.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The latter. As said he didn't have the symbiote but she was so taken with her new powers and not being 'Puny Skeeter' she thought she was just going to put Spider-Man's face on backwards and then proceeded to not even come close to landing a hit (which to be fair was also because she had no combat training).

I don't even really mind the X-Men fight as it was made pretty clear they were fighting on Spidey's terms (enclosed space) and the X-Men were kind of getting in each other's way as I recall. It wouldn't happen today though, that's true. This was also when Peter's Spider-sense wasn't really a thing many knew about so they didn't get why he was so good at anticipating.

That's true.

He also hit on her in the process.

So I guess whether 616 or Ultimate Bendis just always writes Wolverine hornt up for MJ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

So I guess whether 616 or Ultimate Bendis just always writes Wolverine hornt up for MJ.

I think it was actually JM Stracyzinski (sp?) in the main Amazing Spider-Man, not in the actual New Avengers book.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know it was Deodato on art so that sounds right.

Edit: ok, nevermind. Didn't realize he was also doing NA :)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean in fairness, it was established a long time ago Wolverine digs redheads

(Insert "redheads gently caress good" edit here)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

FilthyImp posted:

You best believe I hosed up all the other kids in Marvel Super Heroes that were like "Oh spider man he sucks WOLVERINE he's best"

To be fair, Wolverine was pretty drat broken in X-Men Children of the Atom, and he was still pretty much a "You can bang on the buttons and watch the combos fly" character in Marvel Super Heroes. They might have made some false assumptions. Spider Man, however, was just better, even moreso if you knew how to use him.

That's why there were two Wolverines in Marvel vs Capcom 2: one played like Wolverine from Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, and one played like Wolverine from Children of the Atom, albeit tweaked so you couldn't just roll your face on the buttons and fire off an infinite combo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, Wolverine was pretty drat broken in X-Men Children of the Atom, and he was still pretty much a "You can bang on the buttons and watch the combos fly" character in Marvel Super Heroes. They might have made some false assumptions. Spider Man, however, was just better, even moreso if you knew how to use him.

That's why there were two Wolverines in Marvel vs Capcom 2: one played like Wolverine from Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, and one played like Wolverine from Children of the Atom, albeit tweaked so you couldn't just roll your face on the buttons and fire off an infinite combo.

I...I legitimately thought this entire time that they just wanted a bone claw Wolverine. It never crossed my mind that they had different properties.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cornwind Evil posted:

That's why there were two Wolverines in Marvel vs Capcom 2

:aaaaa:

Oh that's why one of them gets that dumb after image attack wow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
huh, yeah as a button masher i never really noticed a difference either. that's neat

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I got some Marvel pyjamas for christmas and when I was checking out the tag on em I noticed this Ironman suit variant I've never seen before, does anyone know what it is? It's probably just a one off design, or maybe a specific load out of the Modular suit.

The full tag is bloody eclectic with some of it's choices, there's Toei Spider-Man and Leopardon right next to the Marvel logo and in the corner there's a sprite of Spidey, the two pictures with Thor both depict him as an action figure

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's one of Iron Man's suits from the 90's. Maybe Force Works-era?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's the Model 12 - that panel specifically is from Iron Man #290.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that they included that box in the image instead of just cutting it out.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Marvel.com lists Wolverine's weight as 300 with the skeleton and about 195 without....guess he just got a thin coat of the stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean adamantium's always been a magic bullshit metal, who says it has to weigh a lot?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I mean, it's unbreakable. How much would you really need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did Jim Lee always put like weird circuit poo poo all over Wolverine’s skeleton when parts of it were visible? Smooth shiny metal looks better and weirder. Wolverine doesn’t need electronics.