Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ferrule posted:

Hank Pym came back just recently (again) and one of the first things he did was go out an destroy his statue. (uncanny avengers, I believe)

What an rear end in a top hat.

Also, he was dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

Also, he was dead?

Or away in space and presumed dead. Or whatever. Now he's Ultron.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Also, he was dead?

He fused with Ultron and thus was considered "dead" at the end of James Robinson's Rage of Ultron OGN to save the day or some poo poo and also to make sure Scott Lang was the only Ant-Man in comics when the Ant-Man movie came out (and also so they could have a book on shelves with Ultron as the villain when Avengers 2 came out). He recently came back saying he had totally won the battle of wills in space and was just wearing Ultron like an Iron Man suit, but in the most recent Uncanny Avengers they found out it's actually Ultron who won and now he's there to kill them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TwoPair posted:

He fused with Ultron and thus was considered "dead" at the end of James Robinson's Rage of Ultron OGN to save the day or some poo poo and also to make sure Scott Lang was the only Ant-Man in comics when the Ant-Man movie came out (and also so they could have a book on shelves with Ultron as the villain when Avengers 2 came out). He recently came back saying he had totally won the battle of wills in space and was just wearing Ultron like an Iron Man suit, but in the most recent Uncanny Avengers they found out it's actually Ultron who won and now he's there to kill them.

James Robinson? You mean Rick Remender, surely. Robinson's done some bad poo poo but let's not pin that on him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Heh you're right, I was just going off memory without googling anything.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So how did they move forward after doing a story where Kingpin learned Daredevil's secret identity? Cause I know people want that for Daredevil Season 3, but I don't see how that works unless Kingpin dies at the end.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

So how did they move forward after doing a story where Kingpin learned Daredevil's secret identity? Cause I know people want that for Daredevil Season 3, but I don't see how that works unless Kingpin dies at the end.

Well, for a long time Fisk just used it to torment Matt and kill off everyone around him because he really, really hates that guy and killing him would be too quick.

Eventually though, it goes public. Daredevil actually goes to jail for being a lawyer while doing vigilante stuff on those same cases and is disbarred in New York, and later on just does the superhero thing without any secret identity. For a bit he lived in California and didn't even wear a mask.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mover posted:

Well, for a long time Fisk just used it to torment Matt and kill off everyone around him because he really, really hates that guy and killing him would be too quick.

Eventually though, it goes public. Daredevil actually goes to jail for being a lawyer while doing vigilante stuff on those same cases and is disbarred in New York, and later on just does the superhero thing without any secret identity. For a bit he lived in California and didn't even wear a mask.

Wow. That's crazy. You say for a bit though. Which means he eventually came back. Was New York still cool with the whole Matt Murdock: Daredevil thing? Is he no longer a lawyer?

I am tickled by the end of that being "Alright, well gently caress the identity then". Kingpin must have felt dumb.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Wow. That's crazy. You say for a bit though. Which means he eventually came back. Was New York still cool with the whole Matt Murdock: Daredevil thing? Is he no longer a lawyer?

I am tickled by the end of that being "Alright, well gently caress the identity then". Kingpin must have felt dumb.

They keep coming up with BS excuses for him to have a secret identity again because that's the easy way to write superhero comics.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 31, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah unfortunately the latest DD run just started in media res with him practicing law in NY and having a secret identity again, having completely ditched his job and, character development and love interest in San Francisco. They've made a few vague references to Matt having made some difficult, terrible choice to accomplish it.

It's almost certainly Literally A Deal With The Devil or some Hand magic BS to cause a reset, don't think it's been explained yet.

Soule's run is good on its own, but the Bendis->Brubaker->Waid runs all built off each other so well while being different, and weren't afraid to take the character into difficult territory or face real consequences.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
IIRC, in the 90's Daredevil had a magic devil clone
Said clone was killed, but looked enough like Matt Murdock to kill off "Matt"
Matt then became Jack Battlin (After Matt's father)
This is when he had super 90's armor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

Just read Born Again, it's an amazing comic. Then if you're still curious read Bendis' run.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CzarChasm posted:

90's Daredevil had a magic devil clone

You're being redundant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't forget that Matt also made up a twin brother and pretended to be him for a while.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Don't forget that Matt also made up a twin brother and pretended to be him for a while.

A fake twin brother who was fake not blind.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Oh, Born Again's the one where Cap is all "gently caress Nuke, he's not America, I am!" Alright, you got me, I'll grab it on Comixology once the cash is right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was having captain marvel's last name be danvers an intentional nod to Supergirl or coincidental?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Most probably coincidental. Carol Danvers was just a supporting character for the first decade of her existence who shared no other similarities with Supergirl beyond the last name, so if it was an intentional nod it was the kind you get from someone you've never met from across the street.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Totally forgot I posted this last night lol

Ghostlight posted:

Most probably coincidental. Carol Danvers was just a supporting character for the first decade of her existence who shared no other similarities with Supergirl beyond the last name, so if it was an intentional nod it was the kind you get from someone you've never met from across the street.

Okay cool. I was just thinking last night that they're both blonde superwomen with the last name Danvers and was like hmmmm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Totally forgot I posted this last night lol

Okay cool. I was just thinking last night that they're both blonde superwomen with the last name Danvers and was like hmmmm

Clearly when the Marvel vs DC crossover film happens they'll get into a fight and stop when they realize they share a name.

Batman and Superman will look on proudly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well they are/were both dating a guy named James too...

"J-james..."

:tinfoil:

(Okay tv kara is, dunno about comic kara)

Who goes down in the fight though

site fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 2, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Well they are/were both dating a guy named James too...

"J-james..."

:tinfoil:

(Okay tv kara is, dunno about comic kara)

Who goes down in the fight though

Comic Jimmy is about to have a horrible tanning accident.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Comic Jimmy is about to have a horrible tanning accident.

That or he gets shot in the head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've started reading the X-O Manowar relaunch and I was wondering, do they ever actually explain what happened with the whole time thing? I've read up through Planet Death and it is mentioned again in that arc but still not explained.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

I've started reading the X-O Manowar relaunch and I was wondering, do they ever actually explain what happened with the whole time thing? I've read up through Planet Death and it is mentioned again in that arc but still not explained.
Do you mean how it was that Aric was abducted in like 500 B.C. but gets back to earth in 2013?

I think it's a throw-away line to them being in relativistic speed for a while in space. Might have even been that way the 7-8 years he was farming for them on the slave ship.

I'd like to know what happened to his teleport ability. That would come in very handy, but it's just ignored after the first arc where he gets Shanhara.

VvV
Forgot to mention it, but I really liked that reveal in the comics. There's about a half-second where you think "Wait he's in modern times now?", and you want to blame the teleport. But then you remember he was abducted by deep space aliens and the time dilation clicks.

A good example of the reader being as thrown as the character (if only for a bit).

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 3, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, if you're talking about the difference of time between being abducted and returning to Earth it's time dilation. It's an actual thing.

If you want to actually read more about it then here's a lot on it: http://www.thescienceof.org/topstories/time-dilation-x-o-manowar/

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why is Katana in the Suicide Squad? Isn't she usually a good guy? I'm pretty sure she was in Arrow, that Batman cartoon that everyone hated, and she's on the Outsiders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Why is Katana in the Suicide Squad? Isn't she usually a good guy? I'm pretty sure she was in Arrow, that Batman cartoon that everyone hated, and she's on the Outsiders.

Katana is a frequent member of the Suicide Squad but usually as a willing member or an undercover agent.

There is a 90% chance that Katana in the film is working for the government, Batman or both.

Edit: Looking it up, she is explicitly there to be Rick Flagg's person on the team. He apparently introduces her as "She's got my back. I'd advise not getting killed by her - her sword traps the souls of its victims."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Solid advice.

In fact I would recommend trying not to be killed by anyone, in general.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Solid advice.

Especially Superboy Prime as he will kill you to death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Solid advice.

To be fair in a universe where souls explicitly are proven to exist getting killed is probably a lot less terrible a concept than getting killed and trapped in someone's sword.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Especially Superboy Prime as he will kill you to death.
And he'll be mean about it too.
Like, he'll call you the ugliest boy dead. :ohdear:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Also, the SS has often been a mix of villains and heroes -- Nightshade, Vixen, Bronze Tiger, and Nemesis served in the '80s Squad, for instance.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not to mention...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not to mention...

Now THAT's how to reference that part of The Killing Joke.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not to mention...

That is an ATROCIOUS cover. Is Barbara Gordon part owl?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This was the lead-in to Court of Owls and.... kinda yeah.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Scaramouche posted:

This was the lead-in to Court of Owls and.... kinda yeah.

Suicide Squad #49, published in 1991, was the lead-in to Court of Owls, published in 2011?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Suicide Squad #49, published in 1991, was the lead-in to Court of Owls, published in 2011?

Playing the long game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

That is an ATROCIOUS cover. Is Barbara Gordon part owl?

YOU'RE an atrocious cover!