Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is Mysterio a-list? Kevin Smith killed him. And Kraven before that. But they both came back right? Did the real Kraven come back or is it still his nephew or whatever. I know those were both a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bessantj posted:

What is probably the worst retcon of a character or event? Who is the worst "retconner", someone who constantly makes everything worse with their retconning?

It's certainly not the worst and it's probably not even in the top ten, but the one that personally annoys me the most is the Phoenix Force retcon, because Dark Phoenix was a formative comics experience for me and that retcon shits all over it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TwoPair posted:

Just gonna repost this from the DC thread to open it up to more discussion because I'm curious

Nebula lopped off Thanos's head a couple years back during the mess that was Infinity Wars. I'm sure they've undone that, but I have no idea how or when.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Skurge died, and has stayed dead (though the Asgardian definition of 'dead' means he's showed up since).

He stood alone at Gjallerbru, and that answer is enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DigitalRaven posted:

Skurge died, and has stayed dead (though the Asgardian definition of 'dead' means he's showed up since).

He stood alone at Gjallerbru, and that answer is enough.

No, there's something in YOUR eye.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

Is Mysterio a-list? Kevin Smith killed him. And Kraven before that. But they both came back right? Did the real Kraven come back or is it still his nephew or whatever. I know those were both a long time ago.

Mysterio got better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Carnage was torn in half and left in orbit, but eventually got better.

Sentry/Bob/Evil Sentry was killed off and hasn't been back since, I think.

Does it count if a villain dies and is replaced by a clone? Because I'm pretty sure Lex Luthor has been a clone since the 90's, but that might have been undone by one reboot or another.

Dock Ock('s body) died and then his brain was downloaded into a Peter clone, but I'm pretty sure he's back in his fat body again.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Mysterio got better.

I thought that was a different guy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

I thought that was a different guy

I don't really know, just that Amazing Mary Jane seems to have the guy that was in Amazing Spider-Man 13. I didn't know Mysterio had died.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think electro is still dead

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: ^^ ah yeah he is!

CzarChasm posted:

Carnage was torn in half and left in orbit, but eventually got better.

Sentry/Bob/Evil Sentry was killed off and hasn't been back since, I think.

Does it count if a villain dies and is replaced by a clone? Because I'm pretty sure Lex Luthor has been a clone since the 90's, but that might have been undone by one reboot or another.

Dock Ock('s body) died and then his brain was downloaded into a Peter clone, but I'm pretty sure he's back in his fat body again.

No, Sentry's been back a while now. First as a horseman of Apocalypse in Uncanny Avengers, then hanging out in a pocket dimension Dr. Strange made for him post- Secret Wars, then most recently he reconciled his Void half in a mini of his own.

Unmature posted:

Kraven was recently killed by his genetically engineered clone son... but then like, said son is completely identical and is using his name and no one even saw the original Kraven die, so like... should that even count?

howe_sam posted:

Nebula lopped off Thanos's head a couple years back during the mess that was Infinity Wars. I'm sure they've undone that, but I have no idea how or when.

IIRC, Donny Cates brought him back in his Guardians of the Galaxy run as having stored a mental backup in Starfox's head. I don't know if he has a new body yet.

Anyway I guess Carnage has stayed dead the longest out of all those examples.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can think of plenty of villain deaths in the past decade it's just that they were retconned incredibly fast. Most notably Sentry and Daken, who were very big names when they bit it. Thanos got turned into a loving skeleton in Secret Wars, and despite the confusing alt-universe of it all it was "our" Thanos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I can think of plenty of villain deaths in the past decade it's just that they were retconned incredibly fast. Most notably Sentry and Daken, who were very big names when they bit it. Thanos got turned into a loving skeleton in Secret Wars, and despite the confusing alt-universe of it all it was "our" Thanos.

I mean, technically everyone in the multiverse except the dozenish people on the two life rafts (plus Doom and Doc Strange) died during the first issue of Secret Wars. Scott Summers and Doc Strange also bought it a couple issues later.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Despite the DC Murderverse (ie the DC movies) DC comics are very reluctant to kill villains. Heroes, sure. Villains, nah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC wouldn't even kill of Z-list hero Risk.

I mean, they had Superboy Prime rip off both of his arms but he's still alive somewhere.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of villains who could stand to be killed off...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Unmature posted:

Kevin Smith’s story was all about Mysterio being a B-list at best villain, and wanting to be remembered as something more.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I forgot about Daken existing and now I'm kinda mad I have to remember.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

I forgot about Daken existing and now I'm kinda mad I have to remember.

He's fun in the current X-Factor.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Daken seems to veer wildly between being a really fun character and being absolutely intolerable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Daken did give Gabby her superhero name.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was too good for marvel to keep

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Daken seems to veer wildly between being a really fun character and being absolutely intolerable.

Yeah, there's basically no middle ground on him.

Seconding that he's really good in X Factor so far.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Is Daken's secondary mutation still rape?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

He's still got the pheromone powers if that's what you mean.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
So I quit reading books about 10 years ago and recently got back into things. I’m mainly focusing on back issues but I’ll peruse the new stuff and I have to ask - when did multiple variant covers become a thing? Back when I quit there would sometimes be 2 or 3 different editions but now it seems that every week some book comes out with 8 or 9 different copies.

Edit: the questions are when did this start, what comics are responsible, is this well-received by current collectors?

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 11, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So I quit reading books about 10 years ago and recently got back into things. I’m mainly focusing on back issues but I’ll peruse the new stuff and I have to ask - when did multiple variant covers become a thing? Back when I quit there would sometimes be 2 or 3 different editions but now it seems that every week some book comes out with 8 or 9 different copies.

Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man #1 in 1990 would be the first time it was a really big thing. After that, it never completely went away with some company always trying to cash in on it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

when I was still paying attention to Previews at my old job, DC started doing a second cover on like every single book, usually with a monthly gimmick. Marvel would also do gimmicks, but to order them, the shop would have to order more copies of the main cover than they did some other book from a few months prior (like "order 150% as many copies of the standard cover of Deadpool #37 as your total number of copies of Squirrel Girl #19 to order the hip-hop variant of Deadpool #37"). The gimmick month covers would occasionally do good enough numbers that shops would want to get the NEXT gimmick covers, but since the title that unlocked the ability to order the gimmick wasn't even necessarily the same title as the one you wanted, well, you'd just have to order the whole line, just in case. This doesn't even get into the "order one thousand copies in order to receive the one in a thousand variant you can then maybe flip to recoup the cost of ordering nine hundred and fifty more copies than you can sell" variants.

it's a practice designed to get completionist maniacs to buy two different copies of the same issue of Batman or to make a shop order more than they normally would, or should. Pumps up publisher's sales numbers but god only knows what the actual sell through is like

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh God, the Marvel math required to get those fuckin variants. The best was when a variant was dependent on your order for another variant. Thankfully they quit doing that after the third time and retailers basically told them to eat poo poo. Early on in the endless variant bullshit I would set my base number for the standard cover and then I'd just click every variant box and be happy with what arrived. About a year into that diamond informed me I couldn't do that anymore unless I was hitting the minimum number for the rarest variant. They never gave me a reason, just told me to stop doing it. Buncha fuckers over there.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

Oh God, the Marvel math required to get those fuckin variants. The best was when a variant was dependent on your order for another variant. Thankfully they quit doing that after the third time and retailers basically told them to eat poo poo. Early on in the endless variant bullshit I would set my base number for the standard cover and then I'd just click every variant box and be happy with what arrived. About a year into that diamond informed me I couldn't do that anymore unless I was hitting the minimum number for the rarest variant. They never gave me a reason, just told me to stop doing it. Buncha fuckers over there.

Yeah they got sick of having to have customer service call shops to do word problems to figure out how many of the tsum tsum pets variant covers they were allowed to get based on how many copies of the third Spider-Woman #2 that shipped in the last ten months they got, but god forbid they tell Marvel's sales guy that something was a bad idea.

All of this was in service to their goal of throwing up a sales chart that said that a book sold X number of copies with the caveat that it sold X number across like a half dozen different SKUs combined

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember we'd have the odd speculator throw a tantrum because we did not, in fact, order wildly out of all common sense on titles to get the top variant cover. Eventually I told one what we normally sold on a series and if they wanted to order the bulk of what was left to get the variant and pay for that too, then they could be assured of it coming in. Oddly he did not take me up on my kind offer.

(And it wouldn't have assured us getting the variant anyway because nothing is assured with Diamond.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I wish DC had released their movie poster variants from several years back as actual posters. A lot of those were really neat.

(And the Justice League/Magic Mike variant had the additional benefit of pissing off the alt-right/now Qanon owner of my closest LCS, so hey, even better.)

radlum
May 13, 2013

Happy Hippo posted:

Most recently it has been described as being a huge slut.

Did Marvel ever do anything with what happens right at the end of Tom King's Vision?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

Most recently it has been described as being a huge slut.

Did Marvel ever do anything with what happens right at the end of Tom King's Vision?

Lol

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Good grief, just how many Batman and Spider-Man comics are there now?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like this post could be made at any point between like 1990 and present, but if you're basing it on October 2020:

Spider-Man Family
Amazing Spider-Man (ships twice a month)
Amazing Spider-Man Last Rites (tie-in comics for a Spider-Man-centric event that ships on the off-week of ASM)
Spider-Man Noir mini-series
Miles Morales: Spider-Man
Champions (a team book ft. Miles Morales)
Spider-Woman
Marvels Snapshot: Spider-Man one-shot
Spider-Man (the JJ Abrams and his kid mini-series)
Venom
Web of Venom one-shot

So like twelve books (five-ish ongoings and some minis/tie-ins) featuring characters in the Spider-Man family, 14 if you want to count doubleshipping books twice.

Batman Family
Batman (ships twice a month)
Detective Comics (ships twice a month)
Batgirl
Nightwing
Catwoman
Batman: White Knight Presents: Harley Quinn
Batman: Three Jokers
Dark Knights: Death Metal
Dark Knights: Death Metal: Rise of the New God
Dark Knights: Death Metal: The Robin King
Justice League (Doom Metal, ships twice a month)
Arkhamaniacs
Batman Beyond
Batman's Grave
Batman/Superman
Batman and the Outsiders
Batman: The Adventure Continues
Red Hood: Outlaw

So ten ongoings, three mini-series, a couple team books with Batman in them, and some event one-shots. So 19 or 21 depending on how you want to count it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edge & Christian posted:

Batman Family
Arkhamaniacs

There's no way this one is real lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If not it needs to be.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It's real and appears to be done by the guy who did Tiny Titans and the cartoony A v X one shot during Secret Wars, Art Baltazar
https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/arkhamaniacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

CzarChasm posted:

It's real and appears to be done by the guy who did Tiny Titans and the cartoony A v X one shot during Secret Wars, Art Baltazar
https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/arkhamaniacs

Those lil homicidal maniacs are the cutest