Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's time for Arkhamaniacs
And they're violent to the max
So just sit back and relax
You'll laugh till you collapse (JOKER SINGS THIS LINE)
We're Ark-ham-man-i-acs!

Come join all Batman's villains
Led by an evil clown
Just for fun we terrorize
The folks of Gotham town
We get locked back in Arkham
Whenever we get caught
But we bust out
And then, no doubt
Mayhem is our one thought

We're Arkhamaniacs
Sanity our Harley lacks
Penguin's eating fishy snacks
Mr. Zsasz has got an axe!
We're Arkhamaniacs!

Meet pretty Poison Ivy
She loves plants and she hates men
Killer Croc just ate some guards
While breaking out again
You should be pretty scared now
Because they're all deranged
Watch out for Bane
And Dr. Crane
And also Hugo Strange

They're Arkhamaniacs
All committing vile acts
Nygma doesn't have a clue
Deadshot set his sights on you
They're the Ark-ham-maney
Totally insaney
(LET'S KILL BRUCE WAYNEY!)
Ark-ham-man-i-ACS!
(Security is lax!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
drat I was trying to whip up something on my lunch break after reading Rhyno's post but I only got like three verses in. loving bravo, dude.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 16, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We're Ark-ham-man-i-acs!

Led by an evil clown
The folks of Gotham town
Whenever we get caught
But we bust out
And then, no doubt

We're Arkhamaniacs
Sanity our Harley lacks
We're Arkhamaniacs!

Meet pretty Poison Ivy
While breaking out again
Watch out for Bane
And Dr. Crane
And also Hugo Strange

They're Arkhamaniacs
All committing vile acts
Totally insaney
Ark-ham-man-i-ACS!
(Security is lax!)
:perfect:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

We're Ark-ham-man-i-acs!

Led by an evil clown
The folks of Gotham town
Whenever we get caught
But we bust out
And then, no doubt

We're Arkhamaniacs
Sanity our Harley lacks
We're Arkhamaniacs!

Meet pretty Poison Ivy
While breaking out again
Watch out for Bane
And Dr. Crane
And also Hugo Strange

They're Arkhamaniacs
All committing vile acts
Totally insaney
Ark-ham-man-i-ACS!
(Security is lax!)

holy poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thread title change, plz

Also :ssj:

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

I feel like this post could be made at any point between like 1990 and present, but if you're basing it on October 2020:

I had to check, and X-men has 12 total right now.

Regular:
X-men
Marauders
Excalibur
New Mutants
X-Force
Wolverine
Cable
Hellions
X-Factor

Limited:
X of Swords event books
Juggernaut
Wolverine Black, White and Blood (though this starts Nov. 4th)

Plus they have SWORD and Children of the Atom on the way. Also iWolverine (yuck title) and whatever the gently caress Deadpool is up to, but I don't think either of those counts as X-titles, really.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So the new Helstrom series on Hulu is apparently pretty tame on the whole hell thing, which made me wonder: besides Ghost Rider and Blade/Dracula, does any other part of the Marvel U really engage with the Abrahamic belief system besides a few characters being Jewish or Christian or Muslim? I guess Punisher was an angel for a bit but I feel that most extraworldly stuff gets as far away from religion as possible.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zachack posted:

So the new Helstrom series on Hulu is apparently pretty tame on the whole hell thing, which made me wonder: besides Ghost Rider and Blade/Dracula, does any other part of the Marvel U really engage with the Abrahamic belief system besides a few characters being Jewish or Christian or Muslim? I guess Punisher was an angel for a bit but I feel that most extraworldly stuff gets as far away from religion as possible.

Do all the Satan-but-not-really demons like Mephisto, Belasco, Satannish, Zarathos, etc., count?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Selachian posted:

Do all the Satan-but-not-really demons like Mephisto, Belasco, Satannish, Zarathos, etc., count?

I would say no but I’m really unsure how they’re portrayed these days. Hulk winds up in hell and rescues puck but the whole thing comes across like hell is really crummy but not actually hell. Hell comes across more as a spawn point for things to fight rather then an eternal punishment concept (or whatever Sheol is supposed to be like).

I get that sticking characters in a very bad place works for the stories because it provides impetus for rescue, which is why heaven seems far less common since you’re kinda an rear end for pulling someone away from eternal bliss.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zachack posted:

You mentioned Ghost Rider but I had to bring up one of the more strange things about the character. So his origin (before about sixty retcons) was that he sold his soul to satan. The plan early on to resolve this was Jesus would save him. Seriously. And then Ghost Rider would be an evangelical Christian superhero.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ah yes, "A Friend".

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Ah yes, "A Friend".

Somebody, I hope, this picture will be a crucial archaeological piece of the puzzle for future scholars trying to decode what Christianity was all about.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Any history of civilization that prominently features Paste Pot Pete is one I want to study.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
There was so much weird, ropey poo poo in old Ghost Rider. Not much of it landed, but there was a certain desert-madness intensity that I could see it being decrypted as some John the Baptist type ranting and raving.

If I was running Ghost Rider, I'd go with the classics and just put everyone on bikes, no matter what.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

There was so much weird, ropey poo poo in old Ghost Rider. Not much of it landed, but there was a certain desert-madness intensity that I could see it being decrypted as some John the Baptist type ranting and raving.

My favorite of the old GR stuff are when the writers would go full Tales From the Crypt, like one story opens with Johnny confessing to a priest and essentially giving his backstory and talking about sin... like the sin of murder and just how he happened to know there was a murderer on the loose and he had already found the actual church's priest's body. The phony priest runs and steals Johnny's bike, but Johnny turns into Ghost Rider to chase him and just makes his own hellfire bike, and said chase scene includes riding literal circles around the guy who's driving top speed all the while GR is laughing maniacally.

Apparently Mephisto became Actually Satan again in Daniel Way's series? Wild. (Or as the Marvel wiki says, 'the devil figure from the Catholic religion.')

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Where does Adam Warlock dying and coming back to life to save everybody on an alternate Earth on the other side of the sun fit into Christian theology? It wasn't covered in my Catholic schooling.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Uthor posted:

Where does Adam Warlock dying and coming back to life to save everybody on an alternate Earth on the other side of the sun fit into Christian theology? It wasn't covered in my Catholic schooling.

"Hey, what's this garbage I hear you've been teaching my kid? Sunday school is for learning about the Bible, not this warlock comic book nonsense!"

*half an hour later*

"Oh man, but if Thanos is gone you think they'll still use him? Maybe the next Guardians movie?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uthor posted:

I'm sure there's an apocryphal book on it somewhere. You can always dig up one for your needs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I can think of more explicitly Abrahamic-religion-based characters over in DC, including the Spectre and the Seraph (whose gimmick is that he wields Biblical artifacts like Elijah's cloak, Solomon's ring, Moses's staff, etc.).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Selachian posted:

I can think of more explicitly Abrahamic-religion-based characters over in DC, including the Spectre and the Seraph (whose gimmick is that he wields Biblical artifacts like Elijah's cloak, Solomon's ring, Moses's staff, etc.).

Swamp Thing was originally going to have served as the Cross for Jesus until that got nixed by a panicked editorial.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As part of the Lucifer solo series the Abrahamic god in the DC universe quit and was replaced by a half angel/half human named Elaine Belloc.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

In Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies, Zombie Sentry attacked Heaven and got sent back to earth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You don't gently caress with Jack Kirby

muscles like this! posted:

As part of the Lucifer solo series the Abrahamic god in the DC universe quit and was replaced by a half angel/half human named Elaine Belloc.

is this ever acknowledged outside of Lucifer

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ending kind of writes an out for never mentioning it because when she takes on the godhead she says that she's going to spend an indeterminate amount of time in a diffused state where she'll exist but not directly influence events.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As I recall in DC the Abrahamic God is usually folded into "The Presence" which has angels like Zauriel (formerly) as servants. In Marvel you get the much more rarely talked about One Above All which I think is where the Living Tribunal got its powers from.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite of the old GR stuff are when the writers would go full Tales From the Crypt, like one story opens with Johnny confessing to a priest and essentially giving his backstory and talking about sin... like the sin of murder and just how he happened to know there was a murderer on the loose and he had already found the actual church's priest's body. The phony priest runs and steals Johnny's bike, but Johnny turns into Ghost Rider to chase him and just makes his own hellfire bike, and said chase scene includes riding literal circles around the guy who's driving top speed all the while GR is laughing maniacally.

Apparently Mephisto became Actually Satan again in Daniel Way's series? Wild. (Or as the Marvel wiki says, 'the devil figure from the Catholic religion.')

The actual full on yes him The Devil is the main badguy in Way's run. He some released himself on earth in 666 pieces and each time Ghost Rider defeats one of those the remaining pieces get stronger, kinda like Highlander. One of the pieces is helping GR track the others down, so he can get stronger.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

The ending kind of writes an out for never mentioning it because when she takes on the godhead she says that she's going to spend an indeterminate amount of time in a diffused state where she'll exist but not directly influence events.

Suddenly having to account for a massively interventionist god in you comic would probably throw a lot of comics out of whack.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

The Phantom Stranger has been literally Judas Iscariot since the New 52 and I hate it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

The Phantom Stranger has been literally Judas Iscariot since the New 52 and I hate it.

Ugh. If they were going to stick to an explicitly religious origin then they should have stuck with the 'Tarry Till I Come Again' story.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How Wonderful! posted:

Somebody, I hope, this picture will be a crucial archaeological piece of the puzzle for future scholars trying to decode what Christianity was all about.
It's in good company.

Ghostlight posted:

I was doing some reading on early political cartoons and ran across a reference to a Roman graffiti I hadn't heard about before.

Alexamenos Worships His God

We can see the titular Alexamenos on the left staring up at a donkey-headed figure on a Roman crucifix, possibly the earliest visual depiction of Jesus that survives to this day.

This was apparently a commonly-held belief in pre-Christian Rome, as Tertullian produced this wonderful burn on Pagan Rome several decades before the graffiti dates from:

quote:

Suppose that our God, then, be an asinine person, will you at all events deny that you possess the same characteristics with ourselves in that matter? (Not their heads only, but) entire asses, are, to be sure, objects of adoration to you, along with their tutelar Epona; and all herds, and cattle, and beasts you consecrate, and their stables into the bargain! This, perhaps, is your grievance against us, that, when surrounded by cattle-worshippers of every kind we are simply devoted to asses!
Which, I think, as a statement is made all the more powerful after reading when you review the cartoonist's careful work in conveying to the audience that Jesus had them buns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TwoPair posted:

This sucks so much. Thanks for reminding me

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What's the new forum title from? Anything?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

food court bailiff posted:

What's the new forum title from? Anything?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou is a genius

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I believe they mean "THE SCREAMING ROOM" as the whole forum name

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It was one of the workshopped names for the imprint that eventually became Vertigo, and was promised as a seasonal subforum title for this October.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe the poster is unaware of Halloween

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

They'd better get aware fast before all the goblins and ghouls come out to play.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Where in Uncanny X-Men would I find Rachel Summers’ backstory besides Days of Future Past in 141-142?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I randomly flipped by a rerun of Black Panther tonight and was wondering, has there ever been a story revolving around other people getting their hands on the heart-shaped herb that gives BP powers? I'm just sayin', no matter how protected Wakanda is, when there's superpowers literally growing on trees there, you'd figure people would be trying to get them. It's typically depicted as a utopia but there's gotta be some political dissidents around.

Side note: do they ever give the heart-shaped herb an actual name besides "heart-shaped herb"? I guess it's not that much lazier than blueberries or blackberries but heart-shaped herb just sounds so unwieldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

So I randomly flipped by a rerun of Black Panther tonight and was wondering, has there ever been a story revolving around other people getting their hands on the heart-shaped herb that gives BP powers? I'm just sayin', no matter how protected Wakanda is, when there's superpowers literally growing on trees there, you'd figure people would be trying to get them. It's typically depicted as a utopia but there's gotta be some political dissidents around.

Side note: do they ever give the heart-shaped herb an actual name besides "heart-shaped herb"? I guess it's not that much lazier than blueberries or blackberries but heart-shaped herb just sounds so unwieldy.

I'm not a Black Panther expert, but I thought the heart shaped herb was a contrivance for the movie. I thought his abilities that couldn't be attributed to his Wakandan super suit or the normal "peak human athleticism" a lot of comic book heroes have, was because both through hereditary title and own personal trial he was king of the (Wakandan) dead and had a personal connection to the supernatural.