Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Which comic was it where Young Justice's Secret (the character) asked the Spectre if he could make a rock so big, even he couldn't pick it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Probably issue 42, which is where they meet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Currently rereading 52 floppies and I know each writer had their own story arc and I can kind of figure out who wrote what but can I get an official list of which writer worked on which storyline.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only ones I know offhand are Rucka doing the Question (and Batwoman introduction) storyline and Morrison doing the space adventure story.

If had to guess I think Johns did Black Adam because that's where the most arm ripping happens.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

The only ones I know offhand are Rucka doing the Question (and Batwoman introduction) storyline and Morrison doing the space adventure story.

If had to guess I think Johns did Black Adam because that's where the most arm ripping happens.

From what I think is going on (and would love to see how far off I am) the breakdowns according to me are:

Rucka - Question/Batwoman stuff
Johns - Black Adam/Infinity Inc/Booster Gold stuff
Morrison - Space stuff/Oolong Island
Waid - No idea

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TwoPair posted:

lmao

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Madkal posted:

From what I think is going on (and would love to see how far off I am) the breakdowns according to me are:

Rucka - Question/Batwoman stuff
Johns - Black Adam/Infinity Inc/Booster Gold stuff
Morrison - Space stuff/Oolong Island
Waid - No idea

Everyone worked on everything, so it's not 100% this person worked on X story arc, but that's generally who had most input into each arc I believe. Waid handled a lot of the Ralph Dibny stuff.
Edit: I think Waid was also most of Infinity Inc instead of Johns

xK1 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 5, 2020

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I remembered d00gz breaking this down page-by-page while it was coming out and fetched the threads from the archives

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1892227 - first thread where the method was established
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2265795 - middle thread after the first fell into archives
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2451917 - final result and page count

a lot of it was based on conjecture, but it was based on Giffen's breakdowns from 52thecomic.com and different writers using different fonts and cues, so, educated conjecture

e: if anyone doesn't have archives I could quote it here or pastebin it or something? didn't want to quote the whole thing because it's gigantic

e2: here's summary tho:

quote:

Geoff Johns: Black Adam
Grant Morrison: Great Ten, Space crew, Oolong Island
Greg Rucka: Steel, Question/Batwoman
Mark Waid: Elongated Man (Grant wrote the Nanda Parbat scenes with him), Luthor, Booster/Supernova (mostly, Geoff and Grant helped a bit on this)

Cubone fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 5, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cubone posted:

I remembered d00gz breaking this down page-by-page while it was coming out and fetched the threads from the archives

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1892227 - first thread where the method was established
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2265795 - middle thread after the first fell into archives
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2451917 - final result and page count

a lot of it was based on conjecture, but it was based on Giffen's breakdowns from 52thecomic.com and different writers using different fonts and cues, so, educated conjecture

e: if anyone doesn't have archives I could quote it here or pastebin it or something? didn't want to quote the whole thing because it's gigantic

e2: here's summary tho:

I don't have archives but don't feel compelled to quote the whole thing. That quote up that there helped. I forgot about the Ralph Dibney stuff for some reason, even though him clutching his wicker wife was freaking heart breaking.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

feel like Batman fighting ten-eyed men in 'the empty quarter' to exorcise the paranoia from his personality is also Grant Morrison all over

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Karma Tornado posted:

feel like Batman fighting ten-eyed men in 'the empty quarter' to exorcise the paranoia from his personality is also Grant Morrison all over

I'm nearly 30 issues into my reread (haven't read it since I got the floppies week after week) and there are a ton of little side stories here and there. Stuff like mentioned above, the stuff with the JSA or the new Justice League that doesn't last more than 5 pages.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Madkal posted:

I don't have archives but don't feel compelled to quote the whole thing. That quote up that there helped. I forgot about the Ralph Dibney stuff for some reason, even though him clutching his wicker wife was freaking heart breaking.

https://pastebin.com/uhQPuTKn :goleft:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

lifg posted:

I really like them. It’s like Ultimate Spider-Man, it has all the big stories in one consistent plot.

I picked up all seven trades and dug them, although now I'm bummed the series was cancelled. I'd like to start reading 2000 AD Dredd but have precisely no idea where to start aside from I've already read a few of the big stories, like Judge Death and the Judge Child stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want to just start at the beginning they have a chronological collection, The Complete Case Files. It works out pretty well until the Necropolis arc where for some reason they don't include the comics where Dredd is traveling the Cursed Earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

If you want to just start at the beginning they have a chronological collection, The Complete Case Files. It works out pretty well until the Necropolis arc where for some reason they don't include the comics where Dredd is traveling the Cursed Earth.

Isn't that the one with a bunch of fast food mascot parodies? I think there were legal concerns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that the one with a bunch of fast food mascot parodies? I think there were legal concerns.

No, that's the original trip across the Cursed Earth early on in the comic. The Complete Case Files for that time is upfront about the missing chapters and has summaries for them. The Necropolis tie in involves Dredd traveling around as "Dead Man" which is technically not a Judge Dredd comic but it stars Dredd and is important to what happens so it is annoying to not have it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just finished S1 of Stargirl. I don't know enough about DC characters but has Icicle ever been an A-list villain?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

Just finished S1 of Stargirl. I don't know enough about DC characters but has Icicle ever been an A-list villain?

IIRC, comics Icicle has mostly been a team guy, as part of various incarnations of the Injustice Society and Injustice Unlimited. I don't think he's appeared much on his own outside of the Golden Age, when he was part of Green Lantern's rogues gallery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GA Icicle has been dead in comics since like 1990.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

IIRC, comics Icicle has mostly been a team guy, as part of various incarnations of the Injustice Society and Injustice Unlimited. I don't think he's appeared much on his own outside of the Golden Age, when he was part of Green Lantern's rogues gallery.

Thanks, has there been a low level villain that has been rehabilitated into a major threat by a writer and I don't mean some mook getting his hands on the fully upgraded infinity gauntlet or anything like that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bessantj posted:

Thanks, has there been a low level villain that has been rehabilitated into a major threat by a writer and I don't mean some mook getting his hands on the fully upgraded infinity gauntlet or anything like that.
Doctor Light became a full out sadist rapist despite being a joke villain fighting teens for decades.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

GA Icicle has been dead in comics since like 1990.

His kid, who was somehow born with the powers of his dad's gun, was in Johns' JSA a fair amount, though

Karma Tornado fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 7, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

His kid, who was somehow born with the power's of his dad's gun, was in Johns' JSA a fair amount, though

This is true. The TV version is the original with the newer ones look.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bessantj posted:

Deathstroke used to job to the Teen Titans before getting enough of a push to take down the entire Justice League. But since the '80s, he's been written with alternating face and heel turns, and I'd call him one of DC's biggest heat-generating draws today.

Catman was a pathetic, washed-up joke before Gail Simone turned him into a formidable, respected badass antihero in Villains United.

Over at Marvel, Kingpin was a Spider-Man jobber villain before Frank Miller pushed him into a terrifying and powerful threat to Daredevil, and then Soule gave him a push to become the mayor of New York City -- a real case of art imitating life.

Over a decade ago, Bendis turned The Hood (a Brian K. Vaughan creation from a MAX miniseries who might have been forgotten otherwise) into a major threat who united and led a poo poo-ton of villains.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 7, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Doctor Light became a full out sadist rapist despite being a joke villain fighting teens for decades.

:yikes:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Deathstroke used to job to the Teen Titans before getting enough of a push to take down the entire Justice League. But since the '80s, he's been written with alternating face and heel turns, and I'd call him one of DC's biggest heat-generating draws today.

Over at Marvel, Kingpin was a Spider-Man jobber villain before Frank Miller pushed him into a terrifying and powerful threat to Daredevil, and then Soule gave him a push to become the mayor of New York City -- a real case of art imitating life.

Over a decade ago, Bendis turned The Hood (a Brian K. Vaughan creation from a MAX miniseries who might have been forgotten otherwise) into a major threat who united and led a poo poo-ton of villains.

I've always thought the Kingpin was a pretty big deal but thinking back to the early issues of Marvel comics I've read he wasn't that big of a threat. I'm looking forward to see him evolve.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jason Aaron turned the Orb from a weird joke character to a threat that got a whole event around him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jason Aaron turned the Orb from a weird joke character to a threat that got a whole event around him.

Yeah but that all happened real fast. He was a huge joke throughout his GR run

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Batman kinda? Like, he went from being the world's greatest detective to the point where practically every story where he turns heel, be it the main DCU or an Elseworld, it's treated like a end of the world scenario.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Purple Man's Threat Level from Daredevil to Emperor doom to Alias and beyond is a pretty good example.

It's usually a relatively forgettable character being brought out of obscurity and revamped, you could make a similar argument for Mister Freeze, Deadshot, really about half of the main characters from Suicide and/or Thunderbolts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

Purple Man's Threat Level from Daredevil to Emperor doom to Alias and beyond is a pretty good example.

It's usually a relatively forgettable character being brought out of obscurity and revamped, you could make a similar argument for Mister Freeze, Deadshot, really about half of the main characters from Suicide and/or Thunderbolts.

Speaking of Thunderbolts, has Songbird been in anything since Ewing's various Avengers books?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

It is definitely kind of weird to go back and read Animal Man and one of the people wandering around forgotten in Limbo is Mister Freeze.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of Thunderbolts, has Songbird been in anything since Ewing's various Avengers books?

She was in the Thunderbolts series before Secret Empire. Don't know who wrote that offhand though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

It is definitely kind of weird to go back and read Animal Man and one of the people wandering around forgotten in Limbo is Mister Freeze.

I guess I've always been aware of Mr. Freeze, because he got a Super Powers action figure in 1986 and a write-up in DC Who's Who the same year, and that was the second year I started buying and collecting comics from newsstand spinner racks and local comic shops. I never realized he had been an abandoned, forgotten character.

Interestingly enough, at the time of Who's Who (which started in 1985), both Animal Man and Deadshot were unpopular enough to only receive half-page entries rather than full pages like most characters. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Swamp Thing were the only solo characters to receive two-page profiles in Who's Who, although several teams got two-page profiles as well.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Well, that was still during Alan Moore’s run.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Eclipso was a minor DCU villain until they retconned him into a god in the 1992 Darkness Within crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Eclipso was a minor DCU villain until they retconned him into a god in the 1992 Darkness Within crossover.

Oooh, that's a good one.

Also Hank Hall was a crummy hero and then DC accidentally leaked that Captain Atom was Monarch so they pulled a switcheroo and used Hall instead. He was later massively upgraded into Extant for Zero Hour.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

bessantj posted:

:yikes:

I've always thought the Kingpin was a pretty big deal but thinking back to the early issues of Marvel comics I've read he wasn't that big of a threat. I'm looking forward to see him evolve.

My absolute favourite example of this is from What If v1 #30 where Kingpin lures Spider-Man to Coney Island, where he has converted a ferris wheel seat into a flying attack bathtub. Also he has a laser cane.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wasn't it the Batman TAS that brought Mr. Freeze out of obscurity?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Wasn't it the Batman TAS that brought Mr. Freeze out of obscurity?

Yeah. The show pretty much completely reinvented his character that the comics then took that characterization going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the tragic backstory and disaffected scientist who does crimes for a relatable reason thing were never part of his character until BTAS. He used to be just a goofy bald guy with a freeze ray.