Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Zero Hour Fate sure didn’t last long. Although none of the Zero hour characters really did. Primal Force was taken from us way to soon.

Starman is the only one that stuck. Real dismal bunch of launches there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Were all 90s comics bad?

No. A lot were the product of there time and need to be viewer in that context.

Edit: DC had a number of good series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Yes. Next question.

Vertigo had some good books, Thunderbolts started in the 90s too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think one could quite feasibly set aside an entire year to read good comics from the 90s and still have stuff left to read by the end of it. There were a ton of great 90s comics, it's just easier to focus on the easy "dark ages" narrative.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

I think one could quite feasibly set aside an entire year to read good comics from the 90s and still have stuff left to read by the end of it. There were a ton of great 90s comics, it's just easier to focus on the easy "dark ages" narrative.

Part of the problem is the worst comics from that era were also the best selling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Didn't Kyle Rayner come out of Zero Hour? I think he was at least introduced around that time so I will say he worked out.

Also when people think "90's" they think Image and those artists so it's a lot of "lol Liefeld can't draw feet" and "boobs and guns everywhere" but there were actually good comics in the 90's. Vertigo was killing it, one of my fave Batman runs happened i the 90's, DC was putting out a few experimental (not always good but at least different comics), PAD had his X-Factor run etc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Karma Tornado posted:

Starman is the only one that stuck. Real dismal bunch of launches there

I hate to bring it up since that's all I post about lately, but the Zero Hour Legion relaunch was pretty well received and ran for over ten years after Zero Hour.

Madkal posted:

Didn't Kyle Rayner come out of Zero Hour? I think he was at least introduced around that time so I will say he worked out.

A little bit before. Hal was already established as a villain when Zero Hour kicked off, after all.

Also, all of you are taking the fun out of mocking the 90's era of comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

I hate to bring it up since that's all I post about lately, but the Zero Hour Legion relaunch was pretty well received and ran for over ten years after Zero Hour.

A little bit before. Hal was already established as a villain when Zero Hour kicked off, after all.

Also, all of you are taking the fun out of mocking the 90's era of comics.

If you ever want to do a deep read of the non big 3 imprints from the 90s (ie stuff like Malibu, Valiant and any of the other imprints that imploded after the market crashed) I will support your endeavour

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I started reading Spider-Woman and they have her origin are being from Wundagore, is that still her origin story I feel like they retconned it at some point?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

I started reading Spider-Woman and they have her origin are being from Wundagore, is that still her origin story I feel like they retconned it at some point?

I believe that was the retcon because originally she was a spider that was turned into a human and then she was a human with the memories of a spider.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Spider-Woman/Arachne was supposed to be one of the New Men (animal-human hybrids created by the High Evolutionary on Mount Wundagore) from her first appearance. After one issue of Marvel Spotlight and a handful of Marvel Two-in-One appearances, she got her own series which revealed she wasn't a New Man (i.e. a spider evolved into a bipedal humanoid) but the daughter of one of H-E's collaborators given spider powers on Mount Wundagore.

So that's always basically been her origin, but they've kept tweaking it over the years. I know there are weird things that I only partially remember about whether or not she was actually born in like 1940 and spent [sliding time scale] years in suspended animation, whether she was raised to be a Hydra agent or if they brainwashed her/implanted false memories, etc. But she's always been the daughter of Jonathan Drew, one of the High Evolutionary's assistants, at least since her second or third appearance when they named her parents.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

a spider that was turned into a human and then she was a human with the memories of a spider.

Ah, I remember reading that now.

Edge & Christian posted:

Spider-Woman/Arachne was supposed to be one of the New Men (animal-human hybrids created by the High Evolutionary on Mount Wundagore) from her first appearance. After one issue of Marvel Spotlight and a handful of Marvel Two-in-One appearances, she got her own series which revealed she wasn't a New Man (i.e. a spider evolved into a bipedal humanoid) but the daughter of one of H-E's collaborators given spider powers on Mount Wundagore.

So that's always basically been her origin, but they've kept tweaking it over the years. I know there are weird things that I only partially remember about whether or not she was actually born in like 1940 and spent [sliding time scale] years in suspended animation, whether she was raised to be a Hydra agent or if they brainwashed her/implanted false memories, etc. But she's always been the daughter of Jonathan Drew, one of the High Evolutionary's assistants, at least since her second or third appearance when they named her parents.

Thanks for the info both of you. Going through old issues has been eye opening regarding some characters history.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the one weird little detail about Jessica Drew is she's technically English. Her parents took her to Wundagore and I believe the most common version is she was ill with Comic Book Illness and thus Dr Drew experimented using spider DNA to fix her, and ended up giving her super-powers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the one weird little detail about Jessica Drew is she's technically English. Her parents took her to Wundagore and I believe the most common version is she was ill with Comic Book Illness and thus Dr Drew experimented using spider DNA to fix her, and ended up giving her super-powers.

Like has been said many time it's changed a lot so I'm not sure exactly what it is now. I think the last version I know was the series done by Bendis and the Luna Brothers. In that one her pregnant mother accidentally gets in the way of experiment and somehow Jessica gets Wundagore Spider DNA spliced with hers. Then after she starts showing powers as a kid she does a Venom Blast on her father and ends up in coma where Hydra takes her in.

radlum
May 13, 2013
What's the current status of Avengers Mansion? I remember it was destroyed in Dissassembled and Tony decided to leave it in ruins, but I can't recall if it was rebuild and used later on any run

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think it's a museum now??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

What's the current status of Avengers Mansion? I remember it was destroyed in Dissassembled and Tony decided to leave it in ruins, but I can't recall if it was rebuild and used later on any run

One of the later Bendis runs, after Dark Reign I believe, it was used by the Luke Cage lead New Avengers when Tony Stark was bank rolling them. Then one of the post Secret Wars Avengers teams used it, I think it got blown up again in that No Surrender crossover.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

Like has been said many time it's changed a lot so I'm not sure exactly what it is now. I think the last version I know was the series done by Bendis and the Luna Brothers. In that one her pregnant mother accidentally gets in the way of experiment and somehow Jessica gets Wundagore Spider DNA spliced with hers. Then after she starts showing powers as a kid she does a Venom Blast on her father and ends up in coma where Hydra takes her in.

Her current series is going with her father used radioactive spider dna to cure a deadly illness, which whoops also gave her powers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

i think it's a museum now??

For a little while, in... I think Uncanny Avengers, it was a "theme hotel"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SonicRulez posted:

Were all 90s comics bad?

Real answer: there were plenty of good comic books coming out in the 90s, but the prevailing writing and artistic style of the time led to a lot of bad books coming out. All the good books either strove to avoid the extreme stylings of the time or managed to be good in spite of them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Were all 90s comics bad?

Bone is a 90s comic.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Was there any buildup to Dissassembled or was it just out of nowhere? I remember that prior to Bendis, Austen was thw writer, so I guess not

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
There was hype, but no in-story build-up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah it basically opens with the Avengers having lunch in the mansion and then 700 types of apocalypses happen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bring back Jack of hearts

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Do DC and Marvel have any current events going on?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bessantj posted:

Do DC and Marvel have any current events going on?

Future Slate and King in Black.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Any good events?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Isn't George Perez the only artist on earth who likes to draw that costume?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh that one with the teen heroes not being allowed to be heroes is still going on?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Kurt Busiek sock spotted.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Future Slate is an event? I thought it was a new book line they had out. Reading the old books I'm not reading the new ones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Future Slate is an event? I thought it was a new book line they had out. Reading the old books I'm not reading the new ones.

I mean, if I understand correctly, they aren't currently publishing any of the old books, it's gonna end relatively soonish, and a bunch of the future state writers are taking over whatever the old books whe future state ends.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Uh that one with the teen heroes not being allowed to be heroes is still going on?

Civil War Two: For Tots!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if I understand correctly, they aren't currently publishing any of the old books, it's gonna end relatively soonish, and a bunch of the future state writers are taking over whatever the old books whe future state ends.

So all their characters have their own "future" titles?

EDIT: Just had a quick look, it's going to go into another relaunch called Infinite Frontier. DC Do like their relaunches.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 17, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

So all their characters have their own "future" titles?

Yeah, the Future State books are supposed to be what the future of the DC World would look like, and soon they're going back to the present.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the Future State books are supposed to be what the future of the DC World would look like, and soon they're going back to the present.

Thank you. You don't need to turn away for long before everything changes. Even if only for a moment.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Wait, wasn't this a Marvel thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MH Knights posted:

Wait, wasn't this a Marvel thing?

Image did it 25 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I assumed MH Knights was referring to Marvel's 2099 brand from almost 30 years ago.