Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Don't they do the 'what if fairy tale heroines but sexy' or is that somebody else?

That's zenoscope. Also trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Don't they do the 'what if fairy tale heroines but sexy' or is that somebody else?

Avatar is the "everything must include at least one full-page spread of unnecessary gore" company.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Avatar is the "everything must include at least one full-page spread of unnecessary gore" company.

Oh, they did Crossed. And if them not publishing things means no more Crossed or even the possibility down the line that's a sacrifice I'm willing to accept.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Looking for a gift idea for someone that will be studying late 80s to 90s comics, any good at least somewhat academic books that cover this era?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't notice it earlier but it looks like avatar dropped a bunch of uber reprint variants yesterday lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

That's Zenoscope, and the interior art is no where near as good as the covers, so I kinda wonder who keeps buying them

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

AceRimmer posted:

Looking for a gift idea for someone that will be studying late 80s to 90s comics, any good at least somewhat academic books that cover this era?
How are they studying them? What specific part of that era are they studying? The Moore/Miller lineage of Comics Aren't Just For Kids anymore? The publishing/retail side of things? Laughing at Rob Liefeld and spiky costumes? Issues of representation? Art comics?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marvel The Untold Story has good coverage of 80s Marvel, 90s is where it starts to peter out because it's largely based on interviews and that's when people didn't want to talk poo poo about people they might have to work with in the future.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Marvel The Untold Story has good coverage of 80s Marvel, 90s is where it starts to peter out because it's largely based on interviews and that's when people didn't want to talk poo poo about people they might have to work with in the future.

There's also Comic Wars which is about the financial stupidity that lead to Marvel's bankruptcy. I haven't read that one, though.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

How are they studying them? What specific part of that era are they studying? The Moore/Miller lineage of Comics Aren't Just For Kids anymore?
Iirc they're going to be looking at the post-Watchmen transition into the Dark Age for their PhD but something touching on any of the other topics would be great too. I think they're also interested in the indie scene of the time and the 90s crash as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not a gift, but are they aware of Cartoonist Kayfabe?

https://youtube.com/c/CartoonistKayfabe

The mainly cover that era, including lots of long interviews, though from an artist's perspective.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Iirc they're going to be looking at the post-Watchmen transition into the Dark Age for their PhD but something touching on any of the other topics would be great too. I think they're also interested in the indie scene of the time and the 90s crash as well.

Random Stranger posted:

There's also Comic Wars which is about the financial stupidity that lead to Marvel's bankruptcy. I haven't read that one, though.

This might be useful, though I also haven't read it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Comic Book by Paul Sassienie might have some of what you want but the book was written in 1994 so kind of stops there. There are a ton of blogs though written about the comic book collapse and the history though so you might have a good chance of going through those and at least checking their citations and such.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The story in The Untold Story about the office burning Jim Shooter in effigy is one of those stories that I assume is apocryphal, but I want it to be true.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Comic Wars is a really terrible borderline ahistorical book. A significant portion of it is written as like a first person internal monologue by Isaac Perlmutter, who did not consent to an interview for the book (or in fact with anyone since the 1980s). I'm baffled by it.

It gets a lot of basic timelines and facts wrong too, the one that always springs to mind being how Ron Perelman saw the big sales gimmick covers like [1991's] Silver Surfer foil cover and Ghost Rider glow in the dark cover, and that convinced him to buy Marvel in 1989.

AceRimmer posted:

Maybe they already have access to it, but you could do way worse for a resource for that than a subscription to the Comics Journal archive, which runs from the late 1970s to present and contains contemporary interviews, news, essays on the comics industry. I also cannot for the life of me find a link to actually buy a subscription.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 25, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Comic Wars is a really terrible borderline ahistorical book. A significant portion of it is written as like a first person internal monologue by Isaac Perlmutter, who did not consent to an interview for the book (or in fact with anyone since the 1980s). I'm baffled by it.

Lmao what

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

I also cannot for the life of me find a link to actually buy a subscription.

Whoa, I read your post and thought "good idea, I'd get a lot of use out of that," but I also just absolutely cannot figure out how to buy access to the archives.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

How Wonderful! posted:

Whoa, I read your post and thought "good idea, I'd get a lot of use out of that," but I also just absolutely cannot figure out how to buy access to the archives.

Looks like they're sold out somehow?
https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/the-comics-journal/products/the-comics-journal-subscription

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Oh I get new issues already, I just meant the digital archives.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I emailed them, and got this response

quote:

We're working on it! Should be up in a few weeks.

Best,
Fantagraphics

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I have a question about the editorial process at big two publishers. I want to try to phrase this delicately because it's coming from a place of genuine curiosity and not like, frustration per se. I know it's a naive question but it occurred to me that it's one that I've never actually articulated, and have had a difficult time finding a concrete answer to.

I was very impressed by how Al Ewing has handled a character he created, Dr. McGowan, in Immortal Hulk. McGowan is a trans woman, and identifies herself as such explicitly on-panel-- it's not a handwavy or fan-canon thing like you see with shapeshifters or whatever. It occurred to me how unusual and refreshing this was and I'm wondering about the professional and editorial decisions that make this so unusual?

I've read all about the difficulties in openly acknowledging queerness of any sort in, for example, the Shooter era, with stuff like DeMatteis having to be very cagey about Arnold Rothstein, or Claremont's queer coding with Kate Pryde and a few other characters. Obviously we're partially past that now-- X-Factor is just one of a number of mainstream cape comics with plenty of queer characters getting involved with queer plots-- despite persuasive accounts by writers like Sina Grace that there is still a degree of incomprehension or resistance at times from editorial.

So, my question is-- obviously Ewing is a pretty big name by now, with presumably a lot of editorial fiat to do what he wants to do. I get that not every writer has that leverage. But let's say, to just take a name out at random, Vita Ayala were to say, ok, Esme Cuckoo is a trans man and we'll have a resurrection subplot about it, or like, Ales Kot comes back and wants to introduce a new trans character as, idk, Foggy Nelson's accountant or something. What kind of process would be involved in getting that onto the page? Is there editorial haggling back and forth about things like this, or is it just an issue of writers choosing not to have trans characters (which to a degree I'm sympathetic to, I imagine many cis writers just don't want to gently caress up a potentially sensitive and easily mishandled topic)? And in both cases-- why aren't there more?? There are a ton of writers at Marvel in particular right now who I admire and respect tremendously, many of whom are queer themselves, so the lack of trans characters feels kind of conspicuous. Indeed from a really crass PR standpoint you'd think Marvel and DC would appreciate the little media bump of having a bunch of outlets with "KOI BOY COMES OUT" headlines.

Is this a writer issue or an editorial/management issue?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

How Wonderful! posted:

I have a question about the editorial process at big two publishers. I want to try to phrase this delicately because it's coming from a place of genuine curiosity and not like, frustration per se. I know it's a naive question but it occurred to me that it's one that I've never actually articulated, and have had a difficult time finding a concrete answer to.

I was very impressed by how Al Ewing has handled a character he created, Dr. McGowan, in Immortal Hulk. McGowan is a trans woman, and identifies herself as such explicitly on-panel-- it's not a handwavy or fan-canon thing like you see with shapeshifters or whatever. It occurred to me how unusual and refreshing this was and I'm wondering about the professional and editorial decisions that make this so unusual?

I've read all about the difficulties in openly acknowledging queerness of any sort in, for example, the Shooter era, with stuff like DeMatteis having to be very cagey about Arnold Rothstein, or Claremont's queer coding with Kate Pryde and a few other characters. Obviously we're partially past that now-- X-Factor is just one of a number of mainstream cape comics with plenty of queer characters getting involved with queer plots-- despite persuasive accounts by writers like Sina Grace that there is still a degree of incomprehension or resistance at times from editorial.

So, my question is-- obviously Ewing is a pretty big name by now, with presumably a lot of editorial fiat to do what he wants to do. I get that not every writer has that leverage. But let's say, to just take a name out at random, Vita Ayala were to say, ok, Esme Cuckoo is a trans man and we'll have a resurrection subplot about it, or like, Ales Kot comes back and wants to introduce a new trans character as, idk, Foggy Nelson's accountant or something. What kind of process would be involved in getting that onto the page? Is there editorial haggling back and forth about things like this, or is it just an issue of writers choosing not to have trans characters (which to a degree I'm sympathetic to, I imagine many cis writers just don't want to gently caress up a potentially sensitive and easily mishandled topic)? And in both cases-- why aren't there more?? There are a ton of writers at Marvel in particular right now who I admire and respect tremendously, many of whom are queer themselves, so the lack of trans characters feels kind of conspicuous. Indeed from a really crass PR standpoint you'd think Marvel and DC would appreciate the little media bump of having a bunch of outlets with "KOI BOY COMES OUT" headlines.

Curious about this too. And just wanted to mention that in Simone's Secret Six reboot from a few years back there was a character introduced named Porcelain who was genderfluid. There was very little fanfair about the character, hardly any press, and when Simone ended the book Porcelain never appeared again (to my knowledge). Always wondered if this was editorial saying the character couldn't be used again for whatever reason. I guess I could ask Simone on Twitter if I ever stopped using Twitter just to shout at my sport teams. Anyway sorry to piggy back off your question but I am also interested in this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

, or is it just an issue of writers choosing not to have trans characters (which to a degree I'm sympathetic to, I imagine many cis writers just don't want to gently caress up a potentially sensitive and easily mishandled topic)?

I would think this is a factor, especially with the way the big 2 churn newer talent. If you’re not trans and just struggling to keep the gig you have, do you really want to introduce trans issue to your comic that you may not even be able to write about effectively? For something like that I assume you’re going to want more people involved in the process, and I can’t imagine that being something a less seasoned writer would want to put on their plate.

Another factor might just be the general thing that writers don’t really want to create new character for the big 2 if they can avoid it. If you have a great idea for a new trans character, maybe you don’t want to give that to marvel or dc in the first place.

Ultimately though it’s all editorial / management though, because they determine who gets hired in the first place and the big story arcs they want to tell. I can’t imagine you get a major new trans character unless someone high up at marvel says they want one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i am interested in an actual answer there, but i can't imagine it's just at the writer's discretion considering how Sera ended up

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah. I want to reiterate I highly doubt that most of the Marvel writers I like are transphobic or just indifferent, which is part of why I'm so curious. I guess it extends to other stuff as well. In recent years a number of characters who were presumably not initially written as queer have come out in various ways-- people like Ice Man, Julie Powers, Prodigy, etc.. Is there an editorial process for ok-ing that, or do writers have some fiat in just deciding-- and is that process the same for new characters? Like if, say, Jonathan Hickman was like, "ok and on page three Cyclops is at the pharmacy getting his andriol refilled," what's the actual back and forth of determining that?

I guess I'd be really interested in an oral history of how Marvel came around on having Ice Man come out or something like that, since I suppose he's the most high-profile example I can think of of a character "coming out" some time after their introduction.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 26, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unfortunately the answer is probably some kind of weird business decision based on making money in countries where that kind of thing is not exactly going to fly. Is Julie Powers going to be in a big movie they want to make money in China? No probably not. Ice Man wasn't really a consideration there either when that was done. And even there you could just not have Iceman in the X-Men movie, he wasn't in most of them anyway. A newer character there's more leeway in that. I don't think we're going to see Dr. McGowan in any Marvel movies.

It's sad that this is an actual consideration. Of course I don't think it's the only thing, but it's absolutely part of it. When it comes down to it the decisions always come down to money. It's a business after all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

If you can turn that into 240 words or less I kinda think you'll get your answer by @ing a bunch of creators on twitter, most of which will ignore you for fear of endangering their careers. But maybe one will give you a straight answer.

Make sure the ones you tweet are ones that regularly interact with fans.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Quesada appearing on Fox to reassure them Captain America being shot wasn't a political statement is kind of the only answer I need to questions like that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

I guess I'd be really interested in an oral history of how Marvel came around on having Ice Man come out or something like that, since I suppose he's the most high-profile example I can think of of a character "coming out" some time after their introduction.

I feel like with Iceman at least that Bendis had so much clout at the time that there were very few limits as to what he couldn't do.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Uthor posted:

Not a gift, but are they aware of Cartoonist Kayfabe?

https://youtube.com/c/CartoonistKayfabe

The mainly cover that era, including lots of long interviews, though from an artist's perspective.
No they weren't, but they are really enjoying the channel, thanks for the recommendation!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If a writer wants to either introduce a new trans character or establish an existing one as trans, the first step would be to pitch it to the editor. I dunno what would happen after that, but since you cite Al Ewing, maybe you could tweet him and ask how it worked for Dr. McGowan.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

There's probably more editorial oversight if you wanted to have a previously existing character come out as a different gender or sexual orientation as to what was previously depicted, but I don't think there would be much of an issue with introducing a new character as such. As far as I know there was never any pushback for Koi Boi existing in the Squirrel-Girl comics, but his being trans was never a major or explicit plot point, it simply showed him wearing a chest-binder in a couple of panels and otherwise treated him like every other supporting character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gonna go out on a limb and guess there's not a single editor at marvel who would recognize what a binder even is or what it's for

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Mentioning how queer-friendly X Factor was reminded me of Liefeld's response to Shatterstar getting together with Rictor

It uh, was not favorable

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

site posted:

gonna go out on a limb and guess there's not a single editor at marvel who would recognize what a binder even is or what it's for

Jordan D. White is in the final days of a Sailor Moon rewatch podcast. He fuckin' better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Jordan D. White is in the final days of a Sailor Moon rewatch podcast. He fuckin' better.

I know it's an iconic show for queer women, but did Sailor Moon have trans men in it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

I know it's an iconic show for queer women, but did Sailor Moon have trans men in it?

Not officially, no. It did have a lesbian who wore men's clothes a lot and had short hair, though.

And this extremely effeminate gay-coded guy was made into a woman in the dub which uh... you could make a case makes them trans? I guess?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Skwirl posted:

In Sailor Stars (Season 5), the Sailor Starlights are women who are living civilian identities as male pop stars and high school students. I don't have the skills or experience to map where that falls, but as far as the show goes, they are treated as male in their civilian identities, female in their Sailor identities, and if the opportunity and will worked out that way, there is no doubt that Sailor Star Healer would have pursued a relationship with Sailor Moon.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 27, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Not officially, no. It did have a lesbian who wore men's clothes a lot and had short hair, though.

Excuse me, those two are actually cousins! Really, really close cousins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mentioning how queer-friendly X Factor was reminded me of Liefeld's response to Shatterstar getting together with Rictor

It uh, was not favorable

To be fair, he said his issue with it was that he always intended Shatterstar to be asexual but where he established that is a question for someone who has read more comics featuring the character than X-Force vol 1 #1