Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

The speed force is exactly the same as "a wizard did it", don't overthink it

Yeah, it's functionally identical to 'Superman is an alien from the planet Krypton and gets powers from our weird yellow sun woooooo'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Jesus Christ, DC. Just when I thought you couldn't get any worse.

The thing is, kids were asking those questions going right back to the 1950's and silver age books were packed with details on this stuff worked. Why doesn't the Flash burn up when he runs that fast? Well, he has an aura that protects him from the effects of the speed. Why doesn't Superman's clothes burn up? Well, it's made from his Kryptonian baby blanket that Ma Kent unwound slowly and re-weaved. Hey kids, here's Steve Ditko's cutaway drawing of how Spider-Man's web shooters work. None of the explanations made any sense, either, of course, but there's always been a subset of fans out there who are really into finding out the hows and whys of their favorite superheroes.

I always liked the blueprints of Spiderman’s apartments that were included in every annual. I have to know where the kitchen is in relation to the couch in the living room!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I always liked the blueprints of Spiderman’s apartments that were included in every annual. I have to know where the kitchen is in relation to the couch in the living room!

Those things are just as good for the artists as they are for the reader.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Random Stranger posted:

The thing is, kids were asking those questions going right back to the 1950's and silver age books were packed with details on this stuff worked. Why doesn't the Flash burn up when he runs that fast? Well, he has an aura that protects him from the effects of the speed. Why doesn't Superman's clothes burn up? Well, it's made from his Kryptonian baby blanket that Ma Kent unwound slowly and re-weaved. Hey kids, here's Steve Ditko's cutaway drawing of how Spider-Man's web shooters work. None of the explanations made any sense, either, of course, but there's always been a subset of fans out there who are really into finding out the hows and whys of their favorite superheroes.

I remember a weird cutout from early Daredevil by, Wally Wood I want to say, that explained all the weird poo poo in his billy club. I don't think it's ever been revisited other than "it can shoot out and he hits people with it"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

TwoPair posted:

The Flash and the Speed Force are, to me, a problem of fans growing up (and to a lesser extent nowadays, the internet). There's a quote from Grant Morrison I love: "Kids understand that real crabs don’t sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really loving dumb questions like ‘How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile’s tires?’ It’s a loving made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!"

Man, what an annoyingly dismissive attitude. You know why Spider-Man's a great character? Because he's all about questions like that, about "How does he get enough web-fluid?" and "How does he make money if he's superheroing all the time?" and "What does he do if he gets sick?" There's so many great stories in mixing the superpowers with mundane reality!

(Not to mention "A Scientific Explanation for Superman's Strength" is on literally page one of Action Comics #1! It's psedoscientific nonsense, of course, but it doesn't just say "Duh, it's just a story, stop being a boring person and asking questions!")

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
A little technobabble never hurt anyone. Fiction is built on streamlining and handwaving things. You don't think Braveheart is a completely accurate representation of what happened, after all. The main issue I had with the Watchmen film is that it tried to follow the plot beats of the comic a little TOO closely and it just felt OFF to me, like someone had put vanilla icing on waffles. Edible, but just not...quite...right.

Edge and Christian didn't see my "RL Events" question, so I figured I'd ask another.

Alternate universes are VERY popular in comics, especially with the Big 2. Marvel gets it the worst, with their whole Universe-1 to Universe-432,000 or something, and even though Secret Wars (2015) supposedly destroyed them all, the end of it had the Richards remaking them, so we'll assume they're back in force. And DC was first, what with their Earth-2s and Earth-X's and Earth C-'s and them constantly bucking against it being a single universe even when the Crisis merged them all (Hypertime, then just outright bringing it back in the mid 2000's, then muddling with it more...). And while some alternate universes are the classic Mirror ones with evil goatees (and yet all historical events still played out to produce the same people, who are just morally inverted, but I digress) and some are stuff like "What if the Fantastic 4 all had the same power", one thing writers (of varying skill levels, and we'll leave it at that) like to do is use it to both big up the latest threat, and indirectly show how the Prime-Universe that nearly all the stories are written about are JUST THAT SPECIAL, by having some danger go to an alternate universe, or two, or more, and defeat alternates of the character to show OH MY GOD, SO DANGEROUS AND DEADLY, HOW WILL OUR HEROES PREVAIL…and unfortunately the answer is usually “Because plot armor because these are the main characters of the book”.

What the writers tend not to realize is that yes, these might be alternates, so they might have different life experiences, friends, lovers, powers, training, and so on, but they’re STILL considered ‘alternates’ to established characters. Having them squished while the main team wins does both teams a dis-service, more often than not; the main team doesn’t seem to do anything all that different besides having the publication history, and the alternates are STILL alternates of Spider-Man, or Iron Man, or Storm, or whatever. Look at what these people have accomplished (I find that the web series Death Battle does this well, as silly as it is), and apply the same rough framework to the alternates, more often than not, and yet…they’re just fodder. If doing bad to female characters to motivate male ones is called fridging, this one almost deserves its own term. Lacking any good ideas, I’ll just call it Foddering. So, after that side ramble,

What’s the worst example of “Foddering” you’ve ever seen?

My picks are

1) Mark Miller’s run on Fantastic Four, which honestly reads like he let his teenage son (does he have a son, teenage or otherwise? Doesn’t matter, I'm just using it for an allegory for what kind of story it was) write a story that he tidied up and published under his own name. Not only does he introduce a new BEYOND DANGEROUS AND POWERFUL villain who gets retconned into being Doctor Doom’s master who he just happened to never mention before, and not only does this villain, the Marquis of Death, go trash dozens of alternate Marvel Universes and Fantastic Fours before he goes to fight the prime team, but it’s made worse by two things. A) He uses the surviving Fantastic alternates as a weapon, saying that whoever among them kills the prime team, he’ll spare their loved ones, leading to a dogpile of alternates presented as desperate lunatics trying to do just that, and B) The Marquis explicitly has no motive at all. He does terrible evil just because that’s what he does; when he shows up to see Doom, he basically goes “You haven’t done enough horrific evil for its own sake” and smashes him. The Prime Team, of course, get the right plot devices needed to win that none of their other teams thought of or managed to do.

2) Parts of the Spider-Verse OG crossover. Namely, a scene where the Inheritors are sitting around a table talking and ‘dinner’ is brought in…which is a few alternate Spider-Men trussed up like turkeys, one of whom is still alive. We don’t seen the actual ‘dinner’, but consider the life of Peter Parker, all he’s gone through, all he’s triumphed over…and consider the fate of these alternates, their lives ending because evil gods literally came out of thin air and literally served them on a table as dinner. It’s almost kind of insulting, in some ways. Why is it insulting when claiming “Marvel Vs Video Games Spider Man” is presented as a short joke, and trying to claim “Newspaper Daily Strip Spider Man” is presented with the super brief, constantly repeating format of the strips being some kind of time warp that drives Morlun to flee because he doesn’t want to stick around because he’ll be at this forever? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it is.

3) The end of Darkseid’s New 52 new origin, where he’s sitting around with several destroyed alternate Supermen around him. Maybe it’s because it’s how powerful Superman tends to be, but still. Maybe ONE alternate Superman and some other alternates. I honestly don’t think any Darkseid avatar could fight half a dozen Supermen and win every time in such a way that he can strew their half-dead bodies all around his throne.

I feel like Marvel Zombies is also sort of an example. The ONLY person in the entire Marvel U who can resist the “Hunger Gospel” is Dr. Doom? Sorry, if you’re gonna introduce the idea that immense willpower could make an infectee resist becoming a flesh eating zombie, I can give you a list of heroes who I think would fight it off. Yes, it’s implied that Doom’s on a short time limit and will succumb eventually, and soon, but the fact that he resisted it at all, when the likes of Spider Man and Captain America couldn’t?

Which made me think of Abraxas, another "THIS IS THE WORST MOST POWERFUL DANGER EVER-wait he's gone never to be mentioned again" who showed up in the Fantastic Four comics in the late 90's. It was revealed that Galactus existing in the Marvel U kept him sealed up, and when Galactus is temporarily dead he gets unleashed, he decides to announce his presence by leaving the skull of an alternate Galactus for the Fantastic Four to find. Marvel Zombies reminded me of that because at the end of that first series, the Marvel Zombies eat Galactus. Eat his flesh and blood. Galactus is an energy being with a perception-based shell over him. He doesn't HAVE flesh, blood, or a skull to display.

Oh those wacky comic book writers.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The whole Spider-Verse/Inheritors storyline just felt weirdly spiteful in the way it casually killed off so many alternate Spider-Men, including ones from existing What If stories. I mean, if you're writing a story called "Spider-Verse", surely it should be about how Spider-Man is awesome and kicks rear end, not about how Spider-Man dies over and over again?

As far as treating alternate universes as disposable - I'm still made about how the Age of Apocalypse has been treated over the years. Full disclosure, as goofy and 90s-tastic as the original event was, it's still one of my favorites, and one of the things I liked about it was that although it was a dystopia, it wasn't completely negative. There were moments of hope, there were still heroes and small victories being won. And even though it was an alternate timeline that was inevitably going to be undone, it treated its characters as if they were just as important as the 'real' ones.

And then in the 2010s we got a bunch of stories that just crapped all over it. Apocalypse is dead? Don't worry, Wolverine got infected with a Death Seed, became the new Apocalypse, resurrected all the dead villains, and undid any progress the heroes made in the original story. A bunch of heroes get killed, many of them off-panel. Everything is awful now forever.

Then there's some nonsense involving the Celestials and some universe-destroying monsters, and in the end, the handful of AoA survivors sacrifice their entire reality to keep the monsters imprisoned. Nothing mattered and now everyone is dead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cornwind Evil posted:

1) Mark Miller’s run on Fantastic Four, which honestly reads like he let his teenage son (does he have a son, teenage or otherwise? Doesn’t matter, I'm just using it for an allegory for what kind of story it was) write a story that he tidied up and published under his own name. Not only does he introduce a new BEYOND DANGEROUS AND POWERFUL villain who gets retconned into being Doctor Doom’s master who he just happened to never mention before, and not only does this villain, the Marquis of Death, go trash dozens of alternate Marvel Universes and Fantastic Fours before he goes to fight the prime team, but it’s made worse by two things. A) He uses the surviving Fantastic alternates as a weapon, saying that whoever among them kills the prime team, he’ll spare their loved ones, leading to a dogpile of alternates presented as desperate lunatics trying to do just that, and B) The Marquis explicitly has no motive at all. He does terrible evil just because that’s what he does; when he shows up to see Doom, he basically goes “You haven’t done enough horrific evil for its own sake” and smashes him. The Prime Team, of course, get the right plot devices needed to win that none of their other teams thought of or managed to do.

While bad, my least favorite thing about Millar's FF run is it took Dwayne McDuffie off the book who had at that point already packed in a lot of work during his short run such as explaining why Reed would side with Tony during Civil War, clearly putting more thought into it than Millar ever did.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Cornwind Evil posted:

Edge and Christian didn't see my "RL Events" question, so I figured I'd ask another.
I don't know if there was anything particularly juicy, as much as Dan Didio having a position of power for like fifteen years, and being co-publisher for a decade, and having pitched multiple "big shake-ups" to boost sales and get attention and overall none of them really worked longterm, so when they wanted to do a [fifth/eighth/fifteenth] big shake-up for the line and he pitched 5G, they decided to go in another direction. The new management at AT&T did a ton of shake-ups in general at all divisions, including DC Comics around the time Didio got let go, so even if it wasn't "we hate the 5G pitch", it might have been someone very high up going "no, we need to shake things up personnel wise!", as they also fired and moved a lot of other people around in the DC masthead around this time.

Dawgstar posted:

While bad, my least favorite thing about Millar's FF run is it took Dwayne McDuffie off the book who had at that point already packed in a lot of work during his short run such as explaining why Reed would side with Tony during Civil War, clearly putting more thought into it than Millar ever did.
I know Millar wrote the main Civil War book that had Reed on the SHRA side, but the actual Civil War FF books (which explored Reed's motivations, which were basically "I know this is McCarthyism all over again, but I want to be on McCarthy's side! Maybe because I believe in it, maybe because I'm a loving coward, unlike my uncle I've never mentioned!") was by J. Michael "Never Surrender Dreams" Straczynski, not Millar. And it was that story McDuffie seemed to be beating against most.

As for Millar "taking McDuffie off" FF, I always got the impression the plan all along was for Millar and Hitch to take the book over after Civil War. JMS left the book mid-event, his last issue was #541 which was solicited for 9/2006 but didn't come out until December 2006. JMS was solicited as the writer for 542 in October and they just skipped FF in the November 2006 through January 2007 solicitations, and McDuffie's first issue (542) eventually came out in January. His "Civil War Epilogue" issue (543) was announced for January as well, pushed back to coincide with the delay on Civil War #7, and then pushed back another couple of weeks for good measure. McDuffie said in interviews that he was originally just supposed to write some fill-ins for JMS because he was running late, but then they asked him to write more.

Meanwhile they announced "Millar and Hitch on Fantastic Four!" in August 2007, after only five of McDuffie's non-JMS-fill-in books had been released and months before their first issue would have been solicited. Millar claimed in interviews that he and Hitch were putting together an X-Men pitch to do after Millar was done with Civil War, but "then they heard JMS left FF" and pitched for that, but wanted to "stockpile" Hitch art so that there wouldn't be any delays on the book.

There were of course delays on the book (the first issue got pushed back a month before it was even solicited, they skipped a month between the fifth and sixth issue, then another between the seventh and eighth, then another between the eighth and ninth, doubleshipped one month and hit the twelfth issue thirteen months after the first. Then they skipped another month, and had fill-in art for part/all of the last two issues. The series also went through like a dozen inkers, sometimes as many as four in a single issue, though that's neither here nor there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it’s also been said that Millar/Hitch were offered FF as a mini series. Either for the prestige, or a more lax schedule. But, they insisted they wanted their FF story to be a regularly numbered part of the original title.

Same with Loeb/Lee when it came to Hush.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've only read it in trades, I didn't realize Hush wasn't a mini.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Started with Batman #608. Brubaker was on the book before, and Azzarello does Broken City after. It was an exciting time to read Batman.

Legend of Ruina
Sep 29, 2021
So what happened to Franklin Richards’ Counter Earth? Was reading Thunderbolts where it came up, and trying to find its eventual fate turned up nothing, just that it eventually stopped appearing and its Bucky ended up stranded on the main earth. There was apparently a follow up arc involving Onslaught with Franklin fleeing to a second one, but nothing I could find established the fate of the original, merely that it seemed to stop being mentioned ever again.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Legend of Ruina posted:

So what happened to Franklin Richards’ Counter Earth? Was reading Thunderbolts where it came up, and trying to find its eventual fate turned up nothing, just that it eventually stopped appearing and its Bucky ended up stranded on the main earth. There was apparently a follow up arc involving Onslaught with Franklin fleeing to a second one, but nothing I could find established the fate of the original, merely that it seemed to stop being mentioned ever again.

Apparently Doom told the woman he empowered on that Earth that she was in charge now, went back to the main Earth, and no one ever mentioned it again. So assumingly it got destroyed in Secret Wars or is still there, hopefully happy no one is paying attention to it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think I have a memory of it being destroyed by the High Evolutionary at some point. I'll try looking it up.

Edit: Looking it up, I think later writers (particularly Rick Remender doing his Unity Avengers story lines) just decided that the Counter Earth that Franklin created (which was the second Counter Earth) was the same as the Counter Earth that showed up in a lot of early High Evolutionary/Adam Warlock stories (it wasn't since that one got blown up) and treat it as a High Evolutionary thing. So it's still there, I think.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 20, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Franklin Richards's Counter-Earth hasn't really been mentioned since this Doom mini-series in 2000.

Counter-Earth (the one that High Evolutionary made back in the 1970s) has been recreated, kidnapped, destroyed, depopulated, etc. a bunch of times, and last appeared at the end of Mark Waid's Avengers and Champions runs.

So you are both right!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Franklin Richards's Counter-Earth hasn't really been mentioned since this Doom mini-series in 2000.

Counter-Earth (the one that High Evolutionary made back in the 1970s) has been recreated, kidnapped, destroyed, depopulated, etc. a bunch of times, and last appeared at the end of Mark Waid's Avengers and Champions runs.

So you are both right!

I thought that was a third Counter-Earth that was created and used in that run. Or maybe fourth.

Possibly fifth.

goddamned there are a lot of counter-earths.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd say Counter-Earth did its job giving us Julie Power's buff girlfriend Rikki Barnes but I'm not sure if that's the same Rikki.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rikki Barnes from [Franklin Richards's Counter-Earth] died, then Franklin re-created a second version of his own Counter-Earth in the Loeb/Liefeld Onslaught Reborn with new versions of Captain America/Thor/Iron Man but seemingly the same Rikki Barnes, which neither Loeb nor Liefeld seemed concerned about. I'm not even sure that book mentioned that this was a new Counter-Earth outside of an editor's note. Loeb and Liefeld re-killed her at the end of Onslaught Reborn, sacrificing herself to shove Onslaught into the Negative Zone.

Then Rikki Barnes showed up in the mainline Marvel Universe and they couldn't really decide if it was the one from the first Franklin Counter-Earth or the second Franklin Counter-Earth, and eventually they seemed to settle on the second one because she had been resurrected/sent to Earth by Onslaught in order to open a portal to bring him out of the Negative Zone, so she killed herself a third time to keep Onslaught from escaping.

And then in Future Foundation they retconned all of this so that Franklin keeps accidentally creating new versions of her with hazy memories of all of the other ones, and this had happened dozens of times off-panel too in order to turn her into the battle scarred buff badass in that run. So kind of the same Rikki, but also not.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think it’s also been said that Millar/Hitch were offered FF as a mini series. Either for the prestige, or a more lax schedule. But, they insisted they wanted their FF story to be a regularly numbered part of the original title.

Same with Loeb/Lee when it came to Hush.

Oooooh this kind of ties in to a question I have.
Ram V has been doing a Swamp thing mini series that was supposed to be 10 issues. Whenever I say "....a mini series that was supposed to be x issues" it is usually followed up by "....and it got cut to half that", but with the Swamp Thing it has been extended to be a 16 issue mini (maxi) series now. I don't think I have ever seen a mini series get extended instead of lessened outside of maybe Gaiman's Eternals which had an extra issue added on. Are there any other examples of a mini-series having more issues added to it?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I think the bad writing habit comic writers share that annoys me most is just doing things without checking what the previous writer did. I might shake my head at stuff like "Bruce Jones' Hulk run was literally all a dream, and so was Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run.", or stuff like "Wolverine hit Sabretooth with a sword that negates healing factors and then killed him, then later went into hell as part of something else and stabbed his soul with another sword that destroys souls, which means Sabretooth is beyond super double all dead, then he turns up again saying "LOL you killed a clone." and then someone goes "Sabretooth can't be cloned, Mr. Sinister tried it back when Sabretooth was part of the Marauders and he couldn't do it, unlike the other Marauders which is how they keep coming back so the X-Teams feel free to kill them" and someone else goes "Oh they figured out how to do it" and I guess clones get cloned souls too or something." but at least that was in some way ACKNOWLEDGED. How many characters in comics have been subjected to death, disappearance, de-powering, and other d's, and then a few years later they just turn up with no explanation, forcing synopsis writers when recounting a character's whole history to say the likes of, "Somehow, Meanmurder Man returned from death and rebuilt his Meanmurdermachine..." again and again?

I've been reading Wally West's run as the flash, and am still in the pre Mark Waid era. I discovered to my surprise the seeds of his relationship with Linda Park, which eventually became one of DC's One True Couples when assholes like Dan Didio weren't vomiting their issues all over the fictional universe they oversaw, actually started before him. Waid just continued it, whereas nowadays it seems like once the writers changed, Linda would have vanished or shown up in one panel saying "It's not working out, Wally" like how a new writer broke up Iron Man and Wasp when he took over from the writer who decided to pair them up and Waid would have introduced, I don't know, Jade into the Flash book instead of the Green Lantern book to pair Wally up with her instead, and then Geoff Johns would have broken them up so Flash could date, I don't know, Stargirl or someone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Oooooh this kind of ties in to a question I have.
Ram V has been doing a Swamp thing mini series that was supposed to be 10 issues. Whenever I say "....a mini series that was supposed to be x issues" it is usually followed up by "....and it got cut to half that", but with the Swamp Thing it has been extended to be a 16 issue mini (maxi) series now. I don't think I have ever seen a mini series get extended instead of lessened outside of maybe Gaiman's Eternals which had an extra issue added on. Are there any other examples of a mini-series having more issues added to it?

Marvel's Transformers was a 4 issue mini that got extended by 76 issues

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Gaz-L posted:

Marvel's Transformers was a 4 issue mini that got extended by 76 issues

If folks haven't seen it, there's a fun callback to this in the final issue:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That’s the one I was trying to remember.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

So here's a question: Fathom comics keep coming out. Who's the audience for those? I mean really.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pastry of the Year posted:

So here's a question: Fathom comics keep coming out. Who's the audience for those? I mean really.

Never underestimate the allure of cheesecake comics. At the comic store we had several customers with giant pull lists - that I stress also regularly picked them up - that seemed like they would just order any old thing with a hint of bewbs. (There was a Venn diagram for these people and the ones who got really mad they stopped selling Previews Adult.)

Anybody who works in a comic store probably knows the kind of person I'm talking about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This seems so strange to me in an era of streaming video. In the 90s, it made sense, kind of. Are these guys who can’t adapt to technological change? I remember when I was in college, I lived a few blocks away from a porn store, and I always wondered about whether the dudes I saw going inside had internet access.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

"Fathom Comics keep coming out" is also a relative term. There was a two issue mini-series (Fathom: The Core) that came out this year. Before that it looks like the last Fathom book came out in 2018, which was a relaunch of the series launched in 2017, which was a revival of the series that ended in 2014.

So the last decade or so has been averaging like 2-3 issues worth of Fathom comics a year, with some significant gaps.

My assumption the real audience for these is some studio executive who will greenlight a movie or TV show about Fathom/The Aspenverse, or at least throw money at them for the options. Even the solicitations for these books say poo poo like "the best-selling comic of 1998 is BACK!" and "One of independent comic’s longest running series forges ahead with a new destiny for the Aspen Universe!"

The last quote was from solicitations for Fathom Volume 9, which was announced in summer 2020 and as best as I can tell, none of the six solicited issues every got released, though they're all still available for pre-order on Comixology, with the final issue due September 16, 2020.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This seems so strange to me in an era of streaming video. In the 90s, it made sense, kind of. Are these guys who can’t adapt to technological change? I remember when I was in college, I lived a few blocks away from a porn store, and I always wondered about whether the dudes I saw going inside had internet access.

We once lost a customer who bought such comics when a fellow customer showed him how to look at porn on a smart phone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i used to get fathom when it originally came out and i remember it having an actual story, like it was less cheescakey than i remember danger girl being and even that had an actual plot to it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I heard that Cable got offed by a younger Cable (who proceeded to replace him). I heard of a title named Cable Reloaded that came out this year. Did Old Cable get back or is that still younger Cable?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lily Catts posted:

I heard that Cable got offed by a younger Cable (who proceeded to replace him). I heard of a title named Cable Reloaded that came out this year. Did Old Cable get back or is that still younger Cable?

Old Cable is back, young Cable is back in the future growing up IIRC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe what happened specifically was they sent Young Cable to the future and like 2 seconds later he comes back as an old man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Imagine 4 Cables on the edge of a cliff...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like, for a gondola?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Imagine 4 Cables on the edge of a cliff...

Nature's perfect 4D time Cable.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

The latest twelve issue Cable series ends with teen Cable going to the future, and old Cable taking his place again. It was a good series, with great art by Phil Noto, and it turns out teen Cable was a really fun character despite the initial idea of him sounding like it’d be terrible.

Cable Reloaded was a tie in to Ewing’s Guardian of the Galaxy event, and has old Cable taking a group of mutants on a space heist for a giant gun.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can someone tell me what issue it is where Spider-Man and Hawkeye are chasing someone and Hawkeye gives this monolouge about having to be the best and never miss, then fires a long distance arrow. When Spider-Man gets there, Hawkeye had missed, so Spider-Man moves the arrow to make Hawkeye not feel bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Can someone tell me what issue it is where Spider-Man and Hawkeye are chasing someone and Hawkeye gives this monolouge about having to be the best and never miss, then fires a long distance arrow. When Spider-Man gets there, Hawkeye had missed, so Spider-Man moves the arrow to make Hawkeye not feel bad.

Avenging Spider-Man #4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Awesome, thanks.