Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

According to the Waid version (which I just finished reading up to volume 7 today) the driver of the unlicensed chemical disposal truck was looking down at his cell phone up until the very last second.

Waid must have been thinking for when people read it in the future. Doesn't seem like cell phones would be a thing when Matt of the-present-is-2014 was that young.

Unless Matt is younger then I think and it was a big Zack Morris brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Random Stranger posted:

And then undone again at the end. Except everyone forgot that. Like they forget that the gauntlet is an absolutely meaningless item. Just because Thanos stuck them onto the least smelly left handed glove he had in the hamper that morning doesn't mean that the gems always have to be stuck onto a giant orange glove in order to work.
I think there's a solidly No-Prize-worthy explanation for that, though. The gems literally warp reality; it would take exactly one person wielding the Gauntlet who thinks that you need the Gauntlet to control all six gems to make it true.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I don't think that was ever addressed, likely because Daredevil is originally from before the era of massive personal injury lawsuits. Here's an off the cuff no-prize explanation, they did sue, but went with the first ambulance chaser they met who got chewed up and spit out by whatever high priced attorneys the other side hired.

Sorry but eight-year-old Matt could win that lawsuit with one hand tied behind his back and he's the worst lawyer on earth. An ambulance chaser would take one look at this case and go out and buy a new summer home. The attorney's for the trucking company would sigh because they'd have to really work to get billable hours out of the case since it's such a slam dunk that they won't get to do anything.

It may have never been addressed in the book, but since Matt is extremely well off in the comics (except when he isn't) and his father was a down on his luck boxer in a slum, I think we can safely say that there was some kind of major payout that happened. Matt has too much money even by incredibly incompetent hot-shot lawyer standards. If I was writing the story, I'd say that his father put almost all of it in a trust that he couldn't touch and then the money that he had set aside eventually ran out. Matt got the money shortly after graduating and used it to buy his brownstone and set up his first law office.

Of course, this would be a really boring story so that would be why I'm not writing it.

CapnAndy posted:

I think there's a solidly No-Prize-worthy explanation for that, though. The gems literally warp reality; it would take exactly one person wielding the Gauntlet who thinks that you need the Gauntlet to control all six gems to make it true.

Except that would work in reverse as well, anyone handling the gems who says, "Yeah, I'm not really into wearing gloves," and they no longer require it.

Also, Ronan doesn't have a hammer. It's a Universal Weapon (not "the Universal Weapon" since all accusers have them). They just happen to look like hammers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The thing with the gems is that if you don't have the gauntlet or at least some kinda thing to stick em on, you gotta hold 'em in your hands like a goofball or jam them into your own body which usually has bad side effects. It's just a matter of convenience. The one weakness that they have is that they're omnipotence that can be physically taken away from you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Weird thought on the Matt Murdock lawsuit: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Everyday young Matt here would rush home from school so he could study, improve himself. He studied so hard that he didn't even play with the children in the neighborhood. Not only did the defendants carelessness nearly kill the elderly Mr. Stick and blind my client, they also directly led to the loss of his pets, the only friends that little Matt had in the world."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
When Lockjaw had the gems, they formed into an Infinity Collar.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CapnAndy posted:

OK, can the gems unmake themselves? I mean it's a new take on the old "Can God make a rock so big that He himself cannot lift it?" question.

Can the gems warp reality so that they do not exist anymore?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Part of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers involves the destruction of the gems, so they can break. Although I'm sure they'll be back at least in time for Avengers 3.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I consider myself a big Daredevil fan, so I feel like I should know this, but somehow, I get the impression it was never addressed -- at least not by Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Diggle, or what I've read by Waid so far.

When Matt was a boy and he pushed that old man out of the way of the truck and got blinded by the radioactive material... why wasn't there a lawsuit? Or was there? Did we ever learn if it was a government or military vehicle, or private industry? What was the purpose of the material, and where was it going, and why wasn't it secured better, and why wasn't the driver paying more attention?

You'd think in any case, Battlin' Jack Murdock could have sued someone and won, to at least establish a trust for his newly-blinded son. Or did he, and is that how Matt was able to attend Columbia for law school, despite growing up poor?

Miller addresses it in Man Without Fear. Jack Murdock demands compensation but the trucking company has done their research and basically says "waive any claims or we tell the police about your job as a mob collector and Matt lives in foster homes til he's 18."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Miller addresses it in Man Without Fear. Jack Murdock demands compensation but the trucking company has done their research and basically says "waive any claims or we tell the police about your job as a mob collector and Matt lives in foster homes til he's 18."
That's a pretty elegant solution.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CzarChasm posted:

OK, can the gems unmake themselves? I mean it's a new take on the old "Can God make a rock so big that He himself cannot lift it?" question.

Can the gems warp reality so that they do not exist anymore?

Nope. Bendis had Reed gather the gems for that purpose in the original Illuminati mini.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Per some recommendations I've been reading Journey into Mystery. Can someone clue me in as to why Asgard has crash-landed in Oklahoma?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Per some recommendations I've been reading Journey into Mystery. Can someone clue me in as to why Asgard has crash-landed in Oklahoma?

The previous run of Thor had ended during the Avengers: Disassembled period, and Oeming wrote a pretty interesting Ragnarok storyline that ended Asgard and all the Asgardians. You know, the way Ragnarok does.[1] When it was time for Thor to come back, he was a doctor in Oklahoma, and there was no Asgard, so he decided to put Asgard nearby.

[1] Yes, I know real Ragnarok doesn't kill everybody.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Odonata posted:

I seek infinity gem wisdom!

1- After Infinity Gauntlet, Eternity and / or the Living Tribunal ruled that the six gems could never be used together again. At what point was this undone?

2- Was it ever shown how the members of the Infinity Watch wound up losing the gems?

3- What issues / series shows how the Illuminati came to poses the gems?

Thank you for your time, all-knowing goons.
1 - The next Infinity crossover had the restriction removed then re-instated. The gems being used in unison doesn't occur again until after a trip into the Ultraverse, so maybe that sidestepped the restriction.
2 - Rune (an immortal vampire Malibu character) stole all of the gems from the various Infinity Watch members and took the gems to the Ultraverse. Unimportant things happen and eventually Galactus gathers them from Rune's dried out corpse. He wanted to use them to remove his need to eat planets. It failed and they were scattered again. They didn't really appear again until Bendis revealed that the Illuminati had them.
3 - In one of the Illuminati minis Reed convinces them to help him collect the gems to destroy them to prevent their misuse.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm reading Squadron Supreme (the 12 issue miniseries) and really enjoying it, but I was wondering, who is Quagmire supposed to be? He is a Spectrum (Green Lantern analogue) villain, who has mucous-y dark force powers. All I can think of is maybe Sinestro?

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 23, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

The previous run of Thor had ended during the Avengers: Disassembled period, and Oeming wrote a pretty interesting Ragnarok storyline that ended Asgard and all the Asgardians. You know, the way Ragnarok does.[1] When it was time for Thor to come back, he was a doctor in Oklahoma, and there was no Asgard, so he decided to put Asgard nearby.

Also, it used to hover but then Norman Osborn and the Sentry knocked it out of the sky during Siege. Right before Fear Itself IIRC, Tony Stark volunteered to help the Asgardians fix themselves up a new Asgard by just taking the chunks of rock and towers that weren't destroyed, strapping some repulsors to them and getting them back in the air.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Fritzler posted:

I'm reading Squadron Supreme (the 12 issue miniseries) and really enjoying it, but I was wondering, who is Quagmire supposed to be? He is a Spectrum (Green Lantern analogue) villain, who has mucous-y dark force powers. All I can think of is maybe Sinestro?

What, not Sportsmaster...?

But the obvious guesses are Sinestro (he has an opposite analog to Spectrum's powers, a la green v yellow) or Black Hand (for more obvious parallels), I would guess. I don't think there's a definitive answer, however.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

prefect posted:

To add to that, during Siege Loki manipulated Norman Osborn, leader of HAMMER, into attacking Asgard, where he sicked his Dark Avengers on the place. Sentry goes nuts and Thor fights him in a big dumb big DBZ fight which levels the city and crashes it into the ground.

Then there's the whole Asgardia nonsense that Fraction introduced, but I can't remember if it's relevant to JIM.

Edit: I somehow completely missed the post above explaining all of this :negative:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

To add to that, during Siege Loki manipulated Norman Osborn, leader of HAMMER, into attacking Asgard, where he sicked his Dark Avengers on the place. Sentry goes nuts and Thor fights him in a big dumb big DBZ fight which levels the city and crashes it into the ground.

That fight was so frustrating. "Lightning didn't do poo poo. Let's try more lightning. Hey, it worked! :downs:" It's like they ran out of ideas when it came time to finish the fight.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

prefect posted:

That fight was so frustrating. "Lightning didn't do poo poo. Let's try more lightning. Hey, it worked! :downs:" It's like they ran out of ideas when it came time to finish the fight.

I think it was more "Bob Reynolds reasserts himself enough that he gains enough control so Thor can kill him." It's a pretty sad end to the tale (particularly when you factor in his wife Lindsey was killed and then dumped in the Ocean, because if Bob knew where she was, he'd bring her back to life. Then kill everyone.) Siege was an odd story.

Fritzler posted:

OH! There's an answer to this....sort of.

Okay Quagmire was one of a number of villains introduced during the Squadron Supreme Gruenwald mini, right? But none of the villains are exactly like DC villains, unlike the heroes themselves. So what's up with that?

But here's the thing.

The Squadron Supreme had been created and introduced into in much older comics, so were sort of established Justice League knock off's.
But when it came time to properly explore their universe in Gruenwald 's maxi series, he was going to go for broke. The villains were also going to be a nod and wink/ loving hommage to the Distinguished Competition.
Like the Nighthawk villains were going to be analogues to Catwoman, the Penguin and I think the Riddler. Only DC had enough at that stage and started making legal noises. They allowed the Squadron Supreme to go as they were much older, but they put their foot down on new characters being created. So Gruenwald decided to change the villains so they were pretty different.

I suspect that Quagmire (being a GL foe) would have originally been much more like Sinestro. (And Ape-X would probably have been a Monsue Mellah/The Brain or Gorilla Grodd type.)

That being said I would have loved to been in the DC meeting where someone yells out...
"That's it! Marvel may have created their own version of Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman. BUT I'LL BE DAMNED IF I LET THEM GET THE PENGUIN!"

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 23, 2014

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Thanks for the Squadron Supreme info guys!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Question IRL posted:

That being said I would have loved to been in the DC meeting where someone yells out...
"That's it! Marvel may have created their own version of Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman. BUT I'LL BE DAMNED IF I LET THEM GET THE PENGUIN!"
I can see leeway in allowing characters heavily "inspired by" existing properties (that Cap Marvel rigamarole, for example). But when they become knock offs and just copy your character's villains and whatnot, I think Copyright and Trademark enforcement becomes a thing due to brand dilution.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

I can see leeway in allowing characters heavily "inspired by" existing properties (that Cap Marvel rigamarole, for example). But when they become knock offs and just copy your character's villains and whatnot, I think Copyright and Trademark enforcement becomes a thing due to brand dilution.

Brand dilution is only a thing for trademark, it doesn't exist at all for copyright. You can let a hundred copyright violations go by and it doesn't hurt your case at all if you go after the 101st. That's why so many companies are willing to let noncommercial fansites exist.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I really like the new Black Widow run, what are some other stories of hers that I should check out?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I really like the new Black Widow run, what are some other stories of hers that I should check out?
Secret Avengers #20, one of my favorite single issues, period.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

That whole run by Warren Ellis is outstanding.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That whole run by Warren Ellis is outstanding.
That it is! Since they're all standalone issues, I just wanted to push that particular Black Widow-centric issue.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought three hundred Ultimate Guard comic bags and stuffed all my Marvel comics from the late seventies on to the late nineties in them. Only afterwards did I notice that the "current size" bags aren't actually meant for the older comics (according to their web site). They fit perfectly, however: what gives? Seems to me the "regular size" width of 18.4 would be too wide, and allows the funny paper to slide around inside the bag unnecessarily.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The bags are typically sized so that you can stick a board in them, and then the comic will fit against the board without the edges being squeezed too much. The board generally prevents too much movement inside the bag.

But having bought bags & boards from several different companies over the years, I have found a fair amount of variation even considering that. There's just not an industry standard down to the 16th of an inch that everyone adheres to.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I consider myself a big Daredevil fan, so I feel like I should know this, but somehow, I get the impression it was never addressed -- at least not by Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Diggle, or what I've read by Waid so far.

When Matt was a boy and he pushed that old man out of the way of the truck and got blinded by the radioactive material... why wasn't there a lawsuit? Or was there? Did we ever learn if it was a government or military vehicle, or private industry? What was the purpose of the material, and where was it going, and why wasn't it secured better, and why wasn't the driver paying more attention?

I wouldn't entertain it as canon, but there was a What If issue back in the day called What If Daredevil was an Agent of SHIELD (drawn by Miller, I believe) that claimed the materials were Stark-owned. Stark gave strict orders not to drive the chemicals through the city, due to how dangerous it was, but they did it anyway. In the What If, Stark kept tabs on the driver and saw the accident happen. He knew Matt was in serious poo poo, so he handed him off to Nick Fury for help.

The Question IRL posted:

OH! There's an answer to this....sort of.

Okay Quagmire was one of a number of villains introduced during the Squadron Supreme Gruenwald mini, right? But none of the villains are exactly like DC villains, unlike the heroes themselves. So what's up with that?

But here's the thing.

The Squadron Supreme had been created and introduced into in much older comics, so were sort of established Justice League knock off's.
But when it came time to properly explore their universe in Gruenwald 's maxi series, he was going to go for broke. The villains were also going to be a nod and wink/ loving hommage to the Distinguished Competition.
Like the Nighthawk villains were going to be analogues to Catwoman, the Penguin and I think the Riddler. Only DC had enough at that stage and started making legal noises. They allowed the Squadron Supreme to go as they were much older, but they put their foot down on new characters being created. So Gruenwald decided to change the villains so they were pretty different.

I suspect that Quagmire (being a GL foe) would have originally been much more like Sinestro. (And Ape-X would probably have been a Monsue Mellah/The Brain or Gorilla Grodd type.)

I always found it interesting how Shape wasn't meant to be based on anyone, but years later, the Justice League went ahead and added Plastic Man to the main team, giving Shape his own counterpart retroactively.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

Thanks for the recommendation!

I was looking around and I saw Widowmaker. Has anyone here read it?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Widowmaker is ... not great. Parts of it are kind of OK, I guess? I couldn't tell you which parts. I don't remember hating it or anything but I wouldn't recommend it at all. It does lead into and help set up a four-issue Hawkeye mini that I mostly enjoyed, so there's that. v :) v

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bought three hundred Ultimate Guard comic bags and stuffed all my Marvel comics from the late seventies on to the late nineties in them. Only afterwards did I notice that the "current size" bags aren't actually meant for the older comics (according to their web site). They fit perfectly, however: what gives? Seems to me the "regular size" width of 18.4 would be too wide, and allows the funny paper to slide around inside the bag unnecessarily.

By "older" comics they probably mean silver/golden age stuff, anything from about 1965 onward counts as current size.

Edit: Wait, Ultimate Guard is a different brand than the ones I'm used to, which only has Golden/Silver/Modern, so no clue what the cut off would be for regular and current...

xK1 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 26, 2014

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Has Curt Connors ever been in his lizard form without being The Lizsrd? Specifically has he ever taught a class while a lizard? Honestly I just want pictures of The Lizard wearing a suit and tie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You should pick up the trade it's in. It's got a different artist for each issue and it's a murderer's row: Immonen, Maleev, Parker, McKilvie, and Aja.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

zoux posted:

You should pick up the trade it's in. It's got a different artist for each issue and it's a murderer's row: Immonen, Maleev, Parker, McKilvie, and Aja.

Sounds good! Do you know what it's called? I searched around and all I found was the Widowmaker series itself:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawkeye-Mockingbird-Black-Widow-Widowmaker/dp/0785152059/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411710715&sr=8-3&keywords=widowmaker

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The bags are typically sized so that you can stick a board in them, and then the comic will fit against the board without the edges being squeezed too much. The board generally prevents too much movement inside the bag.

But having bought bags & boards from several different companies over the years, I have found a fair amount of variation even considering that. There's just not an industry standard down to the 16th of an inch that everyone adheres to.

Ah OK with a board it would probably be a tighter fit. Or at least it would be a bit difficult to stick the comic books in there without damaging the corners.

xK1 posted:

By "older" comics they probably mean silver/golden age stuff, anything from about 1965 onward counts as current size.

Edit: Wait, Ultimate Guard is a different brand than the ones I'm used to, which only has Golden/Silver/Modern, so no clue what the cut off would be for regular and current...

They have golden age, silver age, regular (a pretty drat stupid name), and current. Since the "regular" comics easily fit in the "current" bags I guess I don't really have a problem :shrug: Early 70s and earlier won't really fit but they were already in suitable bags when I bought them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sounds good! Do you know what it's called? I searched around and all I found was the Widowmaker series itself:

http://www.amazon.com/Hawkeye-Mockingbird-Black-Widow-Widowmaker/dp/0785152059/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411710715&sr=8-3&keywords=widowmaker

It's this one

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Has Curt Connors ever been in his lizard form without being The Lizsrd? Specifically has he ever taught a class while a lizard? Honestly I just want pictures of The Lizard wearing a suit and tie.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but as of The Superior Spider-Man, Curt Conners was stuck in his lizard body but back in control of his brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Sounds right on the money. Thanks.

Edit: Any issue numbers or ranges you can give me? Might pick them up.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 26, 2014