Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wait, DC is no longer doing the archive editions? That's a bit disappointing. I have the Golden Age Hawkman one and it's great, I've been meaning to snag the Dr. Fate and Charlton Action Heroes ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, if you're in a position to actually express your opinions on the big two without suffering any repercussions, you should definitely take it, even if you're kind of a jerk. It sure beats all this "if I say anything bad about Jeph Loeb/Greg Land/Whoever I'll never work again" wishy-washy diplomatic poo poo we usually get in interviews.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Kirkman's writing at all but all those points he made are pretty sound.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shitshow posted:

So, I might be marked as a heretic for saying this, but after reading the first two volumes of Sandman for the first time, I'm feeling like this series is just the most over-rated tripe. I mean, it's okay, but so far does not live up to the hype. Does it get better?

Mine is not the majority opinion, but I think it actually gets worse. I really enjoy the first four or five volumes, but the seven or eight that come after are way too fantasy-nerdy.

But to answer your question, no, if you didn't like the first two volumes, you probably won't like the rest.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Whatever happened to the Enforcers from Spider-Man? They showed up in the Spectacular cartoon, and there was an Ultimate version, but do they ever show up in the 616? I didn't even know they existed until I started buying the black and white Essential compendiums, but in the old comics they pop up pretty frequently.

I think they showed up in Brubaker/Lark's Daredevil, which is great if you haven't read it.

I love the Lee/Ditko issue where they're introduced.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

It was hardly isolated to the Hulk, though: there are issues of Spider-Man where he's called Peter Palmer

Bahahahaha. I knew about the Bob Banner thing but this is truly great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is this Origin of the Hobgoblin trade worth buying for $15? I've never read any of the original Hobgoblin story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim is taking over X-Men. I only know him from the fact that he showruns the best superhero show of all time, how's his comic book writing?

Very not good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He did that Wolverine Civil War tie-in, right? That poo poo was terrible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Nobody posted:

I really loved that scene, but looking at it again. It kind of makes some broad generalizations about certain types of people, which is really telling about Morrison himself.

Oh come on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I actually don't even see what the second post has to do with the first post at all but I'll just let it go.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The only thing about that scene that bothers me is that iirc Geoff Johns beat him to it in JSA with the Kingdom Come Superman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Nobody posted:

Do you know what issue because I really need to see that, maybe it will help me appreciate the All Star version a lot more.

Somewhere in that arc in JSA volume 2 where Kingdom Come Superman comes to the mainline DCU.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

EC posted:

I was looking through my old trading cards (inspired by the X-Men Legends episode of Watch Out For Fireballs) and came across this set, which I always assumed was based on a certain plotline. I can't find any information on it, though, and was wondering if it rang any bells with y'all. Sample images to save you a click:

I loved collecting this poo poo when I was 10 or 11. I've got some other sets from that time period as well, but those are the standard character profile things. This set is just weird.

Most of those are covers from issues collected in this omnibus. Late-'80s/early '90s Claremont/Lee stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lobdell's mainline X-Men stuff was bad even then but yeah AoA and Gen X are great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm kinda surprised IDW is as big as Dark Horse now, although I guess they did aggressively move in on a lot of properties.

That reminds me, has Transformers vs. GI Joe started coming out? The Free Comic Book Day issue was loving awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, if I were to ship a full run of comics to somebody, let's say around 25 issues, does anyone have any tips for the best way to package that? I've shipped floppies before, but never more than like 6-8 issues at a time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That whole issue is pretty good. Well, not really, the Penguin part kinda sucks, they drew him with the most 90s stubble ever and the story's weak, but the Riddler and Two-Face stories are pretty darn good, and the framing device is solid.

I love the Penguin story, but then I really love Sam Keith.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight was pretty decent but it's not even close to being in the same league as Moench/Sienkiewicz, Huston/Finch or Ellis/Shalvey/Bellaire. Or Bendis/Maleev Daredevil, for that matter.

It's much better than their extremely perfunctory Spider-Woman run, at any rate.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

i will loving fight you

I had no idea there was a person with strong feelings about that comic. I almost feel like I have to respect it.

I don't remember a single thing that happened in it. Just Spider-Woman leaping around and interior monologuing a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Anybody deal with New England Comics much? I'm thinking about buying their Complete Ben Edlund Tick trade, as they seem to be the only ones selling it for less than an arm and a leg. eBay doesn't have it.

I go to their Harvard Square shop all the time and it's boss so yeah order from them (and yeah, as others have mentioned, they were the OG publishers of The Tick)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It helps that she's not actually calling some one that, but using a hypothetical. But as someone else pointed out, it's still comparing a made up term for a fictional group of people to the most hateful and politically/racially charged words in America.

I mean, that's always gonna be a thing with the X-Men though. One of their foremost characters is a walking comparison between fictional mutant hatred and the real life greatest, most hideous moral crime of the 20th century.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

What makes this so tin-eared though is that she's a white person yelling at black characters about real-life racism to make a point about a fictional, made-up minority. Like, that's getting the lesson completely backward if you're schooling a real-life minority that gets actual poo poo in order to teach a lesson about the fantasy vehicle designed to teach kids about racism.

I can imagine some shithead suburban kid reading along in his 1986 basement bar on a beanbag chair and getting so pissed at the dumb black character who doesn't understand the noble oppressed soul of the beautiful white characters and their difficult lives.

And again I say: one of the most prominent X-Men is a character who by his very existence compares the fictional suffering of a fictional race to the actual systematic slaughter of six million real people.

It's always gonna be a thing with the X-Men. It's graceless, because Claremont is often graceless, but I don't think there's any hard rules against allegory. As for hypothetical 1980s suburban shithead kids, I can't say they concern me too much.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure Doctor Strange : The Oath, was the newest retelling of his origin. Honestly, i've never really cared for Doctor Strange, The Oath being really the only story I've read of his and that Defenders run.

Otherwise I don't know poo poo about him are there any actual really good runs of Doctor Strange other than the Oath and that I think Avengers Annual with him in it and Defenders?

Not a run, but the Marvel OGN Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment is great. And, of course, there's the Lee/Ditko run.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hear good things about the Steve Englehart run too, I think it's the one that introduced Shuma Gorath. Not sure where/if it's collected.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If Superman didn't speak English, loving nobody would trust him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Has Curt Connors ever been in his lizard form without being The Lizsrd? Specifically has he ever taught a class while a lizard? Honestly I just want pictures of The Lizard wearing a suit and tie.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but as of The Superior Spider-Man, Curt Conners was stuck in his lizard body but back in control of his brain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

Yo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Has the Punisher ever been much of a detective? I'm reading The Punisher MAX*, and Frank's getting information is literally just sitting at the crime scene eavesdropping on the police. Not that I expect him to have a Batcave to do forensics in, but that's just lazy.

*I swear, I have a love/hate relationship with the writings of Garth Ennis, but this is really good so far and I love The Punisher

He had his murdervan run by his sidekick Micro for a while, he kinda left the detective work to him in that era. But yeah, he's generally shown to be fairly sharp but favor the "torturing bad guys into giving him information" style of detective work.

And yeah, Punisher MAX is outstanding. I think it might be Ennis' best work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shitshow posted:

I'm trying to work my way through Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and have made it to the Prelude to Infinity trade. While I like the New Avengers quite a bit, I find Avengers to be a total slog. Does it get better and should I continue? If I'm not feelin' it at this point, should I just walk away?

i bailed on it by the end of the first trade, poo poo was awful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i was not aware that Original Sin involved a team up between Dr. Strange and the Punisher and now I'm intrigued. was it any good? i haven't read an event book since Avengers Vs X-Men and what a mistake that was

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

It's alright in the sense that with the exception of say the last page it's completely predictable. I don't care for Deodato's art but it is Aaron getting to do his love letter to OG Nick Fury using as many Morrison characters as he can (and The Orb).

Aaron's Marvel stuff has been very hit or miss considering how insanely dope his Ghost Rider run was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah Dark Avengers was an extremely fun book and it seemed like everyone loved it at the time (that splash page of Sentry decapitating Morgan le Fay was a pretty great "holy poo poo" moment). for me that whole post-Civil War status quo went very strong up until like halfway through Siege. and even then, the post-Siege wrapup issue in Dark Avengers is pretty great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The fixing/reason why they don't work. Its really really dumb

can you spoil it for me? i bailed on Bendis' X-Men after Battle of the Atom and now i'm curious.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It was Dark Beast

huh. more than being dumb, that's just completely underwhelming.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

While we're on the subject, how did Quicksilver get his powers back?

they just kinda came back on their own, i think? like it was semi psychosomatic? he was also fuckin with the terrigen mists for a while, that may have had something to do with it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

isn't that also a line in Flex Mentallo?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I would loving love digital EC collections on Comixology.

Crime Does Not Pay is there, but apart from covers with dudes pushing ladies faces on lit stove tops, the previews don't look too nasty https://www.comixology.com/Crime-Do...0ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw

there are some Fantagraphics-published collections on there that are grouped by artist. i got the Graham Ingels one a while back when they were on sale, it gets pretty gruesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah the Flash definitely has one of the best rogues galleries in comics, probably #3 behind Batman and Spider-Man. silver age and modern age, both rule.

Rogue War is another awesome story that hasn't been mentioned.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Everblight posted:

I mean, all villains have dopey names, this isn't exclusive to DC. But I have literally no experience with District Comics stories other than the Batman tv shows (animated and Adam West) so I can't exactly talk with authority about them. Hoping to get some interesting tidbits without having to dig up comic torrents for a show I have to record like four hours from now

do you have Netflix/Amazon Prime? if so, look up the Justice League Unlimited episode "Flash and Substance." it'll give you a great 25 minute crash course in why the Flash's villains are dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

one of my favorite things about the Flash's rogues is that they're by and large less interested in killing him and more interested in just delaying him long enough that they can get away with whatever they're stealing, because killing him is way more trouble than it's worth. also they're unionized, which is just dope.