Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't believe so, but Electro had a daughter that briefly went by the name "Electra" in Spider-Girl.

So there's that.
And in Ultimate Spider-Man Kingping introduces his enforcer Electra, and was corrected by Max Dillon that he was going by Electro, and not Electra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Last time I check MA was not written by Bendis which is what my point was.
Also wasn't she in the original Young Avengers? But yeah, I can't think of a lot of non-Bendis appearances for her.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm reading Squadron Supreme (the 12 issue miniseries) and really enjoying it, but I was wondering, who is Quagmire supposed to be? He is a Spectrum (Green Lantern analogue) villain, who has mucous-y dark force powers. All I can think of is maybe Sinestro?

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 23, 2014

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Thanks for the Squadron Supreme info guys!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

You're in luck! Captain America: White is apparently actually coming out! Maybe!
This seems like an unfortunate name considering Truth: Red, White & Black.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is this gavok's MK article, or is there a more recent one?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Gavok posted:

Right here.

Come for the list. Stay for the people angry about how much I disrespected Reiko and Jade!
Ha, I loved Mortal Kombat in late elementary/middle school (who didn't?). It was fun to read, even though I legitimately don't know who many of the characters are.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Jean also once looked into his eyes on top of a butte outside of Warren's mansion. She held back the blasts with her telekinetic powers, so they could look into each other's eyes. Then they had a totally romantic moment that was awkward years later when Scott brought it up to Jean but it was actually the phoenix that did that.

Just thought I'd mention that since you brought up Jean, and maybe you were thinking of that.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Uthor posted:

I thought you were mentioning it to make a "butte sex" joke, but somehow held back. You have more will power than I.
I mean, they totally had butte sex. It's true. I don't want all my posts in BSS to be about sex though, in case it makes me seem more like Claremont.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I played the Spider-Man arcade game at a brewery last night. It was a lot of fun, though weird. (The final level is Latveria - fight Doom. OK Cool. After you fight doom (who I think was just a doombot?) you fight a lot of Venoms. OK, venom final boss of 90s spider-man game, makes sense, but why in Latveria?). The weirdest is the characters. So players have choice of 4 characters: Spider-man (makes sense), Black Cat (ditto), Hawkeye (I would've though Daredevil, but I guess he fits in with them) and Namor (what???)

Namor can fire electric blasts. Is this a comic power he has too? Also, I heard that Namor can't appear in video games anymore (and that's why he wasn't in Avengers Alliance). Is that true? Who has the rights to him?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I feel like there's something amusing about the fact that all your examples are still dudes. Like, I'm not knocking this reply at all, you make a great point! "Most intelligent" in superhero comics terms is a really weird and focused on certain kinds of intelligence over others. There are definitely multiple ways to be smart. But these are all still dudes. (Except Loki, arguably, but Loki is Loki, so ... Yeah.)

Even when you get into other fields like that you don't really get ladies as the Best In Show of a field. Is Shulkie a better lawyer than Matt Murdock? I genuinely do not know.
Captain America seems to think that She-Hulk is better than Daredevil in the most recent She-Hulk comic. He got Matt Murdock to prosecute him, and She-Hulk to defend him, and said he got She-Hulk to defend him (to make sure he won).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Mar-Vell was actually a Captain in the Kree Space Fleet, but Carol Danvers is/was actually a colonel in the Air Force, which is several ranks higher than Captain. Monica Rambeau was a lieutenant, though maybe she got bumped up a rank when she became a superhero. I don't think most of the other Captains were ever involved with the military or law enforcement.
If the Kree Space Fleet works like the US Navy (I feel like a lot space stuff does) a Naval Captain is actually equivalent (both O-6) is equivalent to a Marine/AF/Army Colonel. Of course Kree ranks probably work totally different.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm reading Uncanny X-Force. During the Captain Britain Corps arc Psylocke says "Once upon a time Brian caved in a man's skull for attacking me. He's in no position to judge you." Is that reference to a specific story?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

Yeah, that’s Slaymaster. It’s a story from pre-Excalibur Marvel UK Captain Britain stuff. Brian has left behind being Captain Britain and Betsy took it up in his absence. She encountered Slaymaster, who gouged out her eyes. Brian comes back in a rage and smashes Slaymaster’s head with a big rock.
Ah got it. Thanks! I've read the New Mutants story that must take place shortly after one. Psylocke gets robot eyes from Mojo and ends with an Doug Ramsey naked together, setting up a romance that thankfully never happens.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Over in GBS a discussion came up about who the Marvel 'Big 3' are (the story was a lady got her fan art drawing of the 'Big 3' autographed by Stan Lee).

We couldn't come to a consensus, though I think almost everyone agreed on Cap being in there.

Is there a generally agreed upon 'Big 3'? I've only heard that used for Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman.

Comedy option, the fan art was of the DC characters, but Stan signed it anyway.
I think Cap America, Thor, Iron Man. I’m mainly thinking of when they appeared in Daredevil born again and Daredevil considered it a big deal to see them.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That rear end in a top hat Jim Shooter famously nixed any attempt to portray gay people in Marvel comics when he was in charge, which hampered more than one major storyline in the 80s.

The only gay representation Marvel during that decade was the Shooter-written issue of the mature readers Hulk magazine, where gay stereotypes try to rape Banner at the YMCA.
Who was the 90’s character that the author wanted to reveal had AIDS but the editor wouldn’t allow? I read it Marvel Comics: The Untold Story I think.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Northstar?

Found it. Apparently Nicieza wanted to make Nomad HIV Positive.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't the Legacy virus sorta turned into an AIDS metaphor, with a writer or editor at one point saying it wouldn't be cured until AIDS was
It definitely was, but about 10 years later Chuck Austen revealed that mutants can’t get AIDS which is also ugh.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's been a long while since I read Mutant Massacre, but didn't Psylocke defeat him at one point in the story?
Lots of details on that here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoomahmoos.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/grudge-match-psylocke-versus-sabretooth/amp/

She distracted him while the morlocks were healing in the x-mansion. Wolverine and a few other x-men were at the mansion injured. She held him off and distracted him for a long time till Wolverine finished it. Sabretooth definitely got some revenge on her in the 90s (on that page I linked).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

As in the town bike, I assume.

Haven't heard it as Aussie slang though.
His accent was really all over the place. Another Aussie called him out on it when they were on a boat late in that Ostrander Suicide Squad run. I remember it being funny but when I google for panels all I am finding are things about the movie.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Did Thor just become Galactus' herald in the most recent Cates book? Or did it happen earlier?

It looks like herald Thor is coming to fortnite, which is kind of bizarre because it's been such a short run , and from what I've seen in the Marvel thread people seem to not like it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Vincent posted:

This is also an interesting point, since being born with powers is a-ok, but if you develop them during puberty, you're a mutant destined to be hated and feared.
The puberty stuff is still a thing, right?
It is, although some mutants seem to have their powers or look different when they are born. This really has to do with early X-men not being totally planned out. Beast's father worked at a nuclear power plant which was given as the reason for his mutation which he had at birth. In addition in Giant Size Fantastic Four #4 it was revealed that Jamie Madrox/Multiple Man had his powers from birth. When he was slapped by doctor as an infant he immediately multiplied. Peter Allen David retconned this as being a type of mutant called killcrops, but it is not very important or mentioned much.

edit: Kind of also relevant is Franklin Richards. I feel like if you were born with powers at the time he existed in Marvel you were called a mutant, even though it seemed like a big portion of his powers came from his parent's exposure to cosmic rays. He was called a mutant however and was considered one for 50 years until recently when it was retconned that he no longer was. Artie and Leech seem to have their powers way before puberty as well.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 22, 2021

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC it was a thing with all the original Young Avengers where they were actively lying about where their powers came from.
To add a little more, the original four young avengers were all kind of hiding their power sources. I think this was actually to make fans guess more than anything.
1. Iron Lad was masquerading as if he had Iron Man type armor, but is actually Kang.
2. Asgardian was acting as if he was an Asgardian, but actually has powers from Wanda (and is now Wiccan)
3. Patriot appeared to be based off of Bucky, but was actually based off the original Captain America, Isaiah Bradley
4. Hulkling appeared to be Hulk based, but actually had Kree and Skrull powers.

They were also portrayed as superhero nerds who wanted to emulate certain heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Jesus christ that authors post sort of makes me curious about reading animorphs.

Jordan7hm posted:

Same. Those covers always turned me off the series (plus being a bit older than the target demo), but if I can find the books for cheap I think I’ll give it a shot.
Animorphs own. There is a Let's Read thread in the Book Barn. We just finished book 44 (although there are some extra books in there too).