Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I wish DC had released their movie poster variants from several years back as actual posters. A lot of those were really neat.

(And the Justice League/Magic Mike variant had the additional benefit of pissing off the alt-right/now Qanon owner of my closest LCS, so hey, even better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Batman Family
Arkhamaniacs

There's no way this one is real lol.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

radlum posted:

I know Poison Ivy fans can be...intense, but besides them, I see her being less considered a villain, or at least not on the level of other DC villains. How did that start? Is that just a "global warming is gonna destroy the world so character that are too into the environment are actually good" or did she have any shift in the way stories are told about her? Does her environmentalism include animals or is it only about plants?

She’s a bisexual, anti-capitalist environmentalist trying to pull her best friend and lover out of a bad relationship and keep her there. Hard to root against a character like that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Soonmot posted:

that's like half my friends list, more if you discount the super powers

And how many of them do you root against? :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bessantj posted:

I haven't read much Power Girl and Comixology had a sale on one of her comics so i thought I'd buy it. It collected JSA Classified 1-4 and Power Girl Vol 1-12. In the JSA Classified parts Power Girl is being manipulated by Psycho Pirate on behalf of Lex Luthor for some unknown purpose, with Power Girl looking for her real history. However this is not followed up in the Power Girl 1-12 part of the collection. Is this ever followed up on?

It's followed up in Infinite Crisis. Honestly, you can ignore it. Just read Terra 1-4 and Power Girl 1-12.

Then you can read the Harley Quinn and Power Girl stuff later if you'd like.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah. "I'll fill the hole when I find my own symbol', or something like that.

EDIT: This.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bessantj posted:

I wasn't that big a fan of Power Girl 1-12. A lot of it seemed trying to get PG our of her costume and a lot of the stories seemed meh. Was Infinite Crisis any good?

If you didn't like Peeg 1-12, ignore the rest of my post lol.

As for your question...no. Infinite Crisis is not good. The only thing keeping it from being the worst Crisis story is the fact that Identity Crisis exists.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

What about Heroes in Crisis? I heard that was pretty bad

Goddammit I had managed to wipe that one from my memory. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Has Wonder Woman ever had an explicit female love interest?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Via weather, but not on her own. Like she can't hold something and make it hot or cold, but she could cause a snowstorm or a heat wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZiYxQ3nv0

:colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Okay, help me out.

I swear there was a Batman comic early on in the New 52 where Batman runs into a vampire in Gotham, and she starts to freak out and apologize to him for being in his territory, and it's revealed that most vampires in the DCU try to steer clear of Gotham because they think Batman is an actual vampire and they don't want to get caught in his domain.

I'm not crazy, right? This is something that happened, yes? Does anyone have any idea what comic this was?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I was wrong. It wasn't from The New 52 (which contained a storyline in Detective Comics called 'Scare Tactics'). It's from a comic from '97 named 'Scare Tactics', apparently about a rock band made up of teenage monsters. What a weird book. Apparently, they crossed over with Impulse and Superboy.

One of them is a vampire girl and she kills another monster dude, and throws herself at Batman's mercy when he's questioning her about it.

I knew I wasn't crazy though. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Scare Tactics looks kind of neat, ngl. It's not too long a series so I think I'm going to end up reading through all of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Azzarello's run is not particularly faithful to the character, but it also makes Wesley Willis a character, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

To be fair, while Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman wasn't the most faithful, it was like...kind of what DC was saying the New 52 was going to be.

'We're rebooting our universe from scratch, we're going to have fresh and new and different takes on the characters.'

I had honestly expected more of the New 52 to be like that before we discovered just how half-assed the whole thing was.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure most of that is pretty accurate to what happened, yeah.

The past decade of DC comics has been an absolutely wild loving trip.

EDIT: I feel like there should be something in there about Heroes in Crisis and how Tom King managed to write a Crisis story that's almost as bad as Identity Crisis.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 15, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Reading all of this reminded me that Future's End was a thing that actually happened and lol. What a mess that turned out to be.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read Future's End, but my favorite thing about it was on Free Comic Book day the only free comic with Superman was the Future's End tie in where he's a weird spider robot thing

That was such a lovely preview thing, especially giving it away on FCBD.

Just lmao-ing at them giving this away and thinking anyone would want to read the series afterwards.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

From memory around the early 2000's (I think it was maybe after Bruce Wayne: Fugitive) there was a really good story in one of the Bat books (Gotham Knights?) Which was about a social worker opening up a case into the death of Jason Todd. (This was pre-Hush and Under the Hood so Jason was dead.)

It's a really good story as the person is doing their Job, investigating why an at risk teen died in the care of a millionaire and the Bat family have to manage it without compromising their secret identities.

Also it has scenes of Jason Todd as Robin smoking cigarettes and hiding it from Batman and Cassandra Cain pretending to be a Bruce Wayne fling to avoid suspicions from a social worker.

If you remember the name of the story, can you post it? I'd like to check this out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

How popular was Barbara Gordon before The Killing Joke happened to her? What was the general reaction at the time to her getting shot and crippled?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

One thing to keep in mind, when Alan Moore wrote Killing Joke, he did not think it would be part of the main continuity.

I know. I'm still just curious how popular Babs was back then and what the reaction to it was.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Does anyone have the post/article that was written many many years ago that starts with the big reveal in Identity Crisis and works backwards from there to show that the mystery doesn't make any goddamn sense and can't work as the comic shows?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Something horrible has happened to our webhosting but here is the post I think you are referring to? From BSS post to blog post to BSS post again.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I will always respect Animorphs for ending with "haha no you actually did a war crime and no amount of justification or people telling you that you were blameless changes the fact."

'By the way the series is ending with everyone but Cassie fuckin' dying because life doesn't have happy endings.'

Goddamn Animorphs was so loving good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I honestly question if the people who complained about the ending even read the books. The series ending in any kind of happy way would be completely against the entire rest of the series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hey remember when the Animorphs added a new member to the team like halfway through the series and he went completely loving evil so they had to trap him in rat form and leave him abandoned on an island?

Good times.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Animorphs is legit, but you have to take the poo poo with the sweet. For every story about establishing a Hork-Bajir refugee camp, there's one about how oatmeal makes Yeerks go crazy.

Considering how dark the book before it ended up, I appreciated the lighter tone of the oatmeal one.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Has ISO-8 ever been a thing in Marvel’s comics? I’ve been watching it show up in Marvel games for like a decade now and every time it’s like ‘yup, there it is’.

(I started playing the Square Avengers game tonight and I almost burst out laughing when I saw mentioned in a loading screen tip, because OF COURSE it’s here too.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

So you know how there is a Multiverse and also a Dark Multiverse and most of the Dark Multiverse is "what if Batman But Also Another Thing, but also evil, and takes over/destroys his world?"

Metal had Joker Batman lead Doomsday Batman, Aquaman Batman Who Is a Woman, Flash Batman, Cyborg Batman, Green Lantern Batman, Wonder Woman Batman, etc. in a big fight. Then the Dark Universe got beaten by metals.

Then some other stuff happened that led to Joker Batman being the right hand of Perpetua, who is the mommy of Monitor and Anti-Monitor and made the whole multiverse. She took over the multiverse and as her second in command Joker Batman was allowed to create or recruit even more evil Batmen But Also Another Thing, like Darkseid Batman and Alfred Batman and T-Rex Batman and Vampire Batman to be his minions!

The Evil Batman But Another Things found and killed Dr Manhattan Batman, aka Dr. Bathattan. They kept his corpse inside Batman Except Also a Haunted Castle, and waited for Wonder Woman to confront Joker Batman and decapitate him. This was all part of Joker Batman's plan, because once he was decapitated his minions could take his brain out of its decapitated skull and shove it into Dr. Manhattan Batman's corpse, which gave him Dr. Manhattan powers. That made him an even more powerfuller Evil Batman But Also Two Other Things.

I hate all of this.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Grimm Fairy Tales built their entire existence on cheesecake covers. I refuse to believe that anyone has actually read the inside of one of them.

(Now this is the part when someone mentions some kind of amazing storyline that Grimm did, right?)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Grimm's been around for so long and has put out so many comics and spin-offs that SURELY there's probably something decent in there. Maybe Robyn Hood is just that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

There is like, an ancient DC one-shot/what-if story, like a single issue. It has Bruce and Diana pairing up and shows them throughout their life with each other. They end up ruling Themyschira together and in the art for it, Diana is loving JACKED.

Does anyone know what comic I'm talking about? I swore I read it one ages ago and I'm looking for it again for a friend.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

X-O posted:

There was an issue in Joe Kelly's run where Diana has some unresolved feelings for Bruce that resulted from a kiss or something and Martian Manhunter creates a machine to let her see how their life would play out together. Not sure the issue number but that might be what you're thinking of.

EDIT: Google search led me to this. This is the issue I was talking about. It might be the one you're thinking of as well.

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/jla-90/15a83f84-99c6-4f02-8dd3-fd1f2b028599

JLA #90, that's the one. Cheers.

Gaz-L posted:

The Tomb Raider/WW shipping in some of those makes me sad they've never really done more with Rucka's revamp of the Cheetah.

I will forever be sad that Tomb Raider/Wonder Woman is never going to be an actual comic and I can only hope that Sejic does more art of the two in the future. :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Genuinely asking, I’m actually curious on this one:

Have any writers tried to put a lesbian spin on Red Sonja? Like, I’m picturing the goddess appearing to her and giving the whole ‘blessing, etc, no man can have you and so on’ speech and Sonja just smiling at her like ‘yeah sure works for me’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Duke is with Harper Row just off screen

:negative: