Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

What's up with Marvel renumbering their books up to 600 (500 in the case of Invincible Iron Man) all of a sudden around Siege?

Everything was at a point where it was going to hit a milestone according to the original numbering, so Marvel decided to make it a Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CzarChasm posted:

If Death of Superman was the peak, your average Joe realizing that comics were more or less worthless on the open market would be the bottom.

Good thing nobody's realized that and they continue to give me four copies of Spawn #1 like I give half a poo poo, then.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

itskage posted:

Oh god. The thought that I was missing something obvious sounded way better than that.

But Original Sin is Jason Aaron doing a murder mystery with superheroes and that sounds great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

"Jason Aaron" is a key pair of words in that sentence though, Brad Meltzer's done one good comic, ever, Aaron's done a bunch.

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah, thanks. I guess I should read more of Aaron's stuff outside of WatX.

Put it this way: When Daniel Way did the "Ghost Rider's an angel" twist I was about to drop the book, and then Jason Aaron came on and made it the most badass thing ever and turned the book around instantly. Dude rules.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ROM ongoing. Calling it now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The ROM thing is a good example of something that baffles me about fandom. There's no chance a new ROM book would be anything like the old ROM book. Neither of the original creators would be working on it, which you think would be the draw for people nostalgic about the old book. But apparently that doesn't matter; just having the property back gets them all excited. It's weird.

Annihilators was a straight up sequel to ROM and it ruled.

greatn posted:

What the hell is ROM? Aside from Quark's nephew and read only memory?

Back in the 70s Marvel got the license to do a comic about a toy robot called ROM. There was nothing to this robot except a name and a design, so they threw it to Bill Mantlo, who was also working on the much less popular but still very good Micronauts (another licensed property), to do whatever with.

75 issues and 4 annuals later ROM is a fantastic sci-fi story with this really overwrought, super formal dialog that works so well because he really pushed that idea of ROM being a Spaceknight and went with like that super stiff faux-medieval thing and it's so goddamn good read ROM Jesus Christ. Problem is, Hasbro owns ROM, Marvel owns all the things that made that book rule.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bendis's Moon Knight owns, y'all are retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

Where do all the super specific numbers for Marvel stuff come from?

Apparently Sue Storm's invisibility field can cloak exactly 40000 cubic feet, and she can make solid objects of up to exactly 100m in diameter. I've seen similar exact numbers given for strength and power distances and things like that too.

Did Marvel decide to hammer all that stuff down at some point?

Pretty sure a lot of this stuff starts with Gruenwald. I'm 90% sure he's the one who gave us the LASER DIMENSION.