Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's with the 90s palette swap characters like War Machine, US Agent and Vengeance anyway? Are there even more that just didn't take?

Vengeance was an example of trying to expand a brand to get more $$. Ghost Rider selling well? How about EXTREME Ghost Rider? Rhodes first replaced Stark in the early 80s (He was Iron Man during Secret Wars). US Agent was created to be a dark inversion of Captain America, Gru decided to have him stand in for Cap after the success of Beta Ray Bill and Rhodes. You can argue they primarily happen as a way to boost sales (either of the main book or to launch a spin-off book), but creators also enjoy doing it because it creates drama and intrigue easily.

There are tons of them out there too. My favorite forgotten one is Junzo Muto who stole the powers of Iron Fist. Mostly because no one cared enough to enough remember he existed. Christopher Priest had Mephisto repower Danny during his Black Panther run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Odonata posted:

I seek infinity gem wisdom!

1- After Infinity Gauntlet, Eternity and / or the Living Tribunal ruled that the six gems could never be used together again. At what point was this undone?

2- Was it ever shown how the members of the Infinity Watch wound up losing the gems?

3- What issues / series shows how the Illuminati came to poses the gems?

Thank you for your time, all-knowing goons.
1 - The next Infinity crossover had the restriction removed then re-instated. The gems being used in unison doesn't occur again until after a trip into the Ultraverse, so maybe that sidestepped the restriction.
2 - Rune (an immortal vampire Malibu character) stole all of the gems from the various Infinity Watch members and took the gems to the Ultraverse. Unimportant things happen and eventually Galactus gathers them from Rune's dried out corpse. He wanted to use them to remove his need to eat planets. It failed and they were scattered again. They didn't really appear again until Bendis revealed that the Illuminati had them.
3 - In one of the Illuminati minis Reed convinces them to help him collect the gems to destroy them to prevent their misuse.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Soggy Cereal posted:

I just read Kingdom Come. I really enjoyed it, particularly the art.
I found the ending somewhat perplexing, however. Maybe you guys can help clear this up -

1. Why did the 90s antiheroes decide to stop fighting after the bomb dropped? It says that all the same issues that existed before still exist with the survivors. So is the conflict still unresolved? How are Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batsman able to just calmly hang out at a restaurant at the end?

2. What is the moral here? There are overtones of all the superheroes accusing each other of being too militant/fascistic, and Batsman tells Wonder Woman that if she wants warfare, she should just let the bombs drop. But the conflict ends after the bomb does drop, so... that was the solution all along? Kill everyone? That seems to contradict the entire message of the heroes being the ones who want to preserve life.

3. Related to 2, what should Superman have done? Allegedly he lost his moral compass by stepping away from the problem altogether, but he also lost it by creating the gulag. It's really damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't. The book never really answers this question.

4. Did the narrator character actually make a decision? Or did Captain Marvel's decision trump his? Was Captain Marvel trying to kill everyone or just to detonate the bomb in the air so that it would kill less people?

1) Because they saw what happened if they continued- they'd end up dead, either by the hands of another hero or because the humans killed them.
2) Don't ignore your problems until they become unavoidable. Which leads to 3.
3) Not run away and ignored the problem. Once he divorced himself from humanity he started to make decisions like he was a god, deciding to imprison people who didn't agree with him. While he still didn't go to the extreme of killing, he went over the line by creating the gulag. He also refused to work with humanity to solve the problem, leading to the bomb being dropped.
4) The story literally answers this question. He allows Billy to make the choice, as he is the only one who was both man and god and could make the choice. That's also what happens with bomb, superman gives him a choice: "We can keep fighting and everyone dies, or you can let me go and I can stop it." Instead Billy decides to sacrifice himself and try to save everyone.